NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4151  
Old 11-22-2020, 12:51 AM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Well if you’re gonna complete an AFL set, all roads run through Dallas. And I had to fill the void left from that homemade disaster. (Finally got refund.) Next up: Titans. With school moved back to online and winter break in two weeks, and also being semi-quarantined, will soon be resuming my photo inventory ...
You definitely found the best one possible. I've been after that pennant for about a decade, with no luck whatsoever.

Congrats on snagging a rare beauty!
Reply With Quote
  #4152  
Old 11-22-2020, 10:21 AM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 493
Default

Here's a few pennant related pictures I've found/saved recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bay area pennants pic.jpg (68.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Colts 1963 mail catalog.jpg (63.6 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4153  
Old 11-22-2020, 10:26 AM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 3,221
Default

Young bocca?

Odd that a Bay Area fan would also have a pennant of the arch rival Chiefs.
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #4154  
Old 11-22-2020, 10:34 AM
Domer05's Avatar
Domer05 Domer05 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 159
Default

...well, at least the Raiders are on top!
__________________
For more information on pennant makers, visit: pennantfever.weebly.com; then pennantfactory.weebly.com
Reply With Quote
  #4155  
Old 11-22-2020, 11:51 AM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
...well, at least the Raiders are on top!
You reproduced that one, right?
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #4156  
Old 11-22-2020, 05:34 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
You definitely found the best one possible. I've been after that pennant for about a decade, with no luck whatsoever.

Congrats on snagging a rare beauty!
Thanks Mark! Gotta start putting some football on the walls ....
Reply With Quote
  #4157  
Old 11-22-2020, 05:37 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Nice, Greg.

That dark blue felt on the Oilers pennant is so clear when you have the light and the dark next to each other. I need to find one of those.
The Bills and Oilers were sold together, I got the first one but our buddy in San Antonio grabbed the other one, so I let him turn a profit on me so that I could have the pair. The colors are really vivid. Almost unnaturally so (but they are legit). I don’t know much about the Raiders pennant, it’s an odd graphic, but I see the other one more often.
Reply With Quote
  #4158  
Old 11-22-2020, 05:41 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Here's a few pennant related pictures I've found/saved recently.
Quick, someone tell that young lady that she has over a grand hanging on her bedroom wall ...

Last edited by thetahat; 11-22-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4159  
Old 11-23-2020, 08:15 AM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 493
Default

Ha! That kid is not me (I think it is a girl... maybe). Kind of nice that the picture has a date on it. I was -2.5 in Dec 1970. You'd think that there would be a 49ers pennant on the wall, not a Chiefs pennant. The Raiders pennant was the best long-term investment. Funny how, out of a group of pennants from the same era and general location, one can be so much more valuable than the others.
Reply With Quote
  #4160  
Old 11-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,128
Default

Great bunch of AFL pennants Greg. The Raiders in your pic is definitely a rare and desirable one. But, I've never seen one up close and I've never been able to figure out what the graphic is supposed to be. Is it a QB throwing while being chased by a defender? A receiver catching?

As for the polaroid pic...Interesting to me the Raiders is included with a group of later pennants. That Raiders is nearly always attributed to the early 60s...but It seems odd to me a young girl would have a 10 year old pennant on the wall. I suspect they made that pennant throughout the 60s. I have one that is soft felt, but I also owned one years ago that was the stiffer late 60s/early 70s material. The stiffer one had the brittle, stiff tassels that fall apart too.

The Raiders have always been a weak spot in my collection. Their pennants are typically very expensive but they're so rare and Raider fans are so rabid, they have no problem paying when they do turn up. But over the last couple of months, I've made some nice new additions. I'll try to get a picture up later today.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #4161  
Old 11-23-2020, 11:53 AM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Great bunch of AFL pennants Greg. The Raiders in your pic is definitely a rare and desirable one. But, I've never seen one up close and I've never been able to figure out what the graphic is supposed to be. Is it a QB throwing while being chased by a defender? A receiver catching?

As for the polaroid pic...Interesting to me the Raiders is included with a group of later pennants. That Raiders is nearly always attributed to the early 60s...but It seems odd to me a young girl would have a 10 year old pennant on the wall. I suspect they made that pennant throughout the 60s. I have one that is soft felt, but I also owned one years ago that was the stiffer late 60s/early 70s material. The stiffer one had the brittle, stiff tassels that fall apart too.

The Raiders have always been a weak spot in my collection. Their pennants are typically very expensive but they're so rare and Raider fans are so rabid, they have no problem paying when they do turn up. But over the last couple of months, I've made some nice new additions. I'll try to get a picture up later today.
The orange Giants Pennant is also early 1960s. So those pennants in the Polaroid span almost a decade. Great shot... and I love seeing the Technigraph Helmet Plaques on the wall as well. Those are all circa mid-1960s.
Reply With Quote
  #4162  
Old 11-24-2020, 05:57 PM
murphusa murphusa is offline
Jim Murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,039
Default

Tried to post this a few days ago and the pictures didn’t take so trying again
Picked up in the Philly area last week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB1276A7-353C-454A-BB5E-C159CB64A2CA.jpg (20.9 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4163  
Old 11-24-2020, 06:01 PM
murphusa murphusa is offline
Jim Murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,039
Default

more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1690.jpg (67.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1691.jpg (63.6 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4164  
Old 11-24-2020, 09:39 PM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 493
Default

That's a nice group of pennants, Jim. Find more Giants.
Reply With Quote
  #4165  
Old 11-25-2020, 12:25 AM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,576
Default

I love the look on the Cardinal’s face. He appears distrustful and bitterly scorned.

Just another great “stadium” version from the master artists at Trench!

Last edited by perezfan; 11-25-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4166  
Old 11-25-2020, 05:56 AM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Great pennants! The 1964 picture pennant is sought after in by area, hard to find in nice condition like yours.
Reply With Quote
  #4167  
Old 11-25-2020, 07:25 AM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 3,221
Default

Wow! The condition of those is awesome!

Happy Thanksgiving, youse guys!
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #4168  
Old 11-25-2020, 09:15 AM
murphusa murphusa is offline
Jim Murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Great pennants! The 1964 picture pennant is sought after in by area, hard to find in nice condition like yours.
It is better than the one I have. Still looking for a 61 to complete the decade.

I am guessing you r in Philly
Reply With Quote
  #4169  
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
Domer05's Avatar
Domer05 Domer05 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 159
Default

FYI, I posted some new content on each of the below sites, including an interview of a former ASCO employee intimately involved in the company's efforts to launch a felt novelty line in the 1960s. If you enjoyed last month's interview with Tom Storm, you'll like this.

www.pennantfever.weebly.com

www.pennantfactory.weebly.com

Happy Thanksgiving.
__________________
For more information on pennant makers, visit: pennantfever.weebly.com; then pennantfactory.weebly.com
Reply With Quote
  #4170  
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
FYI, I posted some new content on each of the below sites, including an interview of a former ASCO employee intimately involved in the company's efforts to launch a felt novelty line in the 1960s. If you enjoyed last month's interview with Tom Storm, you'll like this.

www.pennantfever.weebly.com

www.pennantfactory.weebly.com

Happy Thanksgiving.
Your re-creations are looking awesome. Get going on the 1958 Opening Day!
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #4171  
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
FYI, I posted some new content on each of the below sites, including an interview of a former ASCO employee intimately involved in the company's efforts to launch a felt novelty line in the 1960s. If you enjoyed last month's interview with Tom Storm, you'll like this.

www.pennantfever.weebly.com

www.pennantfactory.weebly.com

Happy Thanksgiving.
YES! Love the ‘69 ASCO pennants. Thanks for more great reading. And it has me thinking, Kyle ... time to self-publish a book with all this great stuff? I can see it with input chapters from the board members. Something much richer than a B/W price guide. Could be great for the hobby and I’d help however I could!
Reply With Quote
  #4172  
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
It is better than the one I have. Still looking for a 61 to complete the decade.

I am guessing you r in Philly
I live in South Jersey but teach/coach at a college in the city, collect all teams but especially Phillies/A’s. I completed my Phillies 1960s picture pennant set a few months ago, I needed the 1968, although just a week ago I picked up my second 1961 which is an alternate version I didn’t know existed. Interestingly I have two 1960s that have same pennant graphics but different team photos ... and now two 1961s (pictures below) with the same photo but different pennant. Yet they are all made by Trench. The 1960s and one 1961 have a velvet texture to the printing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60D48B1F-594C-46E6-BF9F-373B1C4779F2.jpg (21.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 83F2F8A1-50B1-4979-B724-9F88F3D18DA3.jpg (20.3 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by thetahat; Yesterday at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4173  
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Well I solved the problem of running out of wall space ... just build another wall!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7E39402-EFB3-47F3-B636-9D4C422C4943.jpg (17.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by thetahat; Yesterday at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4174  
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 493
Default

Greg- Is that going to be a floating wall of pennants? Or are they attached to the wall?

Kyle- thanks for the ASCO info. I'm with Greg about the idea of a book and baseball Rob about taking on the 1958 Giants/Dodgers pennant next.

Attached are pics of some recent additions, mostly from Fballguy, who was nice enough to make these rare 49ers color variants available to me (as well as the bottom Oilers pennant).

I used to think that helmet pennants were kind of boring, but it turns out that there are many rare to very rare versions, which makes them fun to hunt. The 49ers helmet pennant is a bootleg, and I think that the white Oilers is as well. The middle Oilers pennant is very common as a mini, but this is the only full sized version I have seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4929.jpg (80.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4930.jpg (80.1 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by bocca001; Yesterday at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4175  
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Domer05's Avatar
Domer05 Domer05 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 159
Default

Rob: I haven't forgotten about the '58 "Holy Grail" pennant project. It was next on deck in my que; however, due to a certain World Series outcome that ended rather favorably for me, it got bypassed for some more contemporary projects

But it'll get done. The template is finished. I found and purchased the right fabric. I just need to burn the stencil and, at present, all my screens are spoken for on Lakers and Dodgers projects.

Greg: I'm flattered at the thought of a book; but, once I sell my first half dozen copies, I'm afraid I might be left with quite a bit of unsold stock.

Honestly, I'm convinced, for the time being, that a (free) website is the best format to share this content with those that follow the hobby. Perhaps one day pennants will get to bobble head status--but, we're not there yet.

Maybe in a few years....
__________________
For more information on pennant makers, visit: pennantfever.weebly.com; then pennantfactory.weebly.com
Reply With Quote
  #4176  
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Rob: I haven't forgotten about the '58 "Holy Grail" pennant project. It was next on deck in my que; however, due to a certain World Series outcome that ended rather favorably for me, it got bypassed for some more contemporary projects

But it'll get done. The template is finished. I found and purchased the right fabric. I just need to burn the stencil and, at present, all my screens are spoken for on Lakers and Dodgers projects.

Greg: I'm flattered at the thought of a book; but, once I sell my first half dozen copies, I'm afraid I might be left with quite a bit of unsold stock.

Honestly, I'm convinced, for the time being, that a (free) website is the best format to share this content with those that follow the hobby. Perhaps one day pennants will get to bobble head status--but, we're not there yet.

Maybe in a few years....
I think the market for good vintage bobbing heads is about the same as the pennant market. The new crap does sell, though, to some extent.

And in regard to the WS that finished “favorably” , are you going to make a fantasy pennant with a vintage look?
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #4177  
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Domer05's Avatar
Domer05 Domer05 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post

And in regard to the WS that finished “favorably” , are you going to make a fantasy pennant with a vintage look?
Bingo, you got it! It's modeled on a mid-1960s pennant design, with a 2020 update. The first batch came out pretty good. I had to make a few modifications; we'll see how the second round turns out this weekend.
__________________
For more information on pennant makers, visit: pennantfever.weebly.com; then pennantfactory.weebly.com
Reply With Quote
  #4178  
Old Today, 07:33 AM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Greg- Is that going to be a floating wall of pennants? Or are they attached to the wall?

Kyle- thanks for the ASCO info. I'm with Greg about the idea of a book and baseball Rob about taking on the 1958 Giants/Dodgers pennant next.

Attached are pics of some recent additions, mostly from Fballguy, who was nice enough to make these rare 49ers color variants available to me (as well as the bottom Oilers pennant).

I used to think that helmet pennants were kind of boring, but it turns out that there are many rare to very rare versions, which makes them fun to hunt. The 49ers helmet pennant is a bootleg, and I think that the white Oilers is as well. The middle Oilers pennant is very common as a mini, but this is the only full sized version I have seen.
Those white Phillies picture pennants are hanging in front of the newly constructed wall, there’s a ledge that sticks out in front of it. I put the wall behind it so that the pool table is centered. It’s in my basement, which is good because it is best protected from natural light, but not so good because that’s where the washer/dryer are and it has typical basement issues for a 50 year old house. This wall at least divides the area into two rooms.

Absolutely love the 49ers goldpanner pennants, especially the green one. The colors are so vivid. Some of these, either the graphic colors were dull when applied or it faded, and other remain sharp and beautiful. Great, great pennants.

Last edited by thetahat; Today at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Memorabilia Guys Smarter Than Card Guys? 4scuda Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 14 02-13-2014 09:13 AM
1913 Northwestern League Pennant Winners Pennant Archive Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 1 03-19-2009 06:55 AM
O/T For Stat Guys Only, I'm sure SABR guys are already looking it up Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 48 07-05-2007 07:31 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 AM.


ebay GSB