NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2023, 10:22 AM
Scott Smith

Default Contemporary Baseball Era Committee for Managers/Executives/Umpires for Hall of Fame

Thoughts on Contemporary Baseball Era Committee for Managers/Executives/Umpires for Hall of Fame election for the Class of 2024

https://baseballhall.org/discover/Co...ates-announced

Does Cowboy Joe West merit induction for all time games leader as an ump?

To me, none of these jump off the pages as Hall of Famers.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:47 AM
Jay Shumsky

I agree that I don't see anyone that I think is an obvious choice. I hope West doesn't get in. Other than longevity, what makes him deserving?
Old 10-19-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I agree that I don't see anyone that I think is an obvious choice. I hope West doesn't get in. Other than longevity, what makes him deserving?
Agree! Joe West was awful.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:32 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
Agree! Joe West was awful.
If he gets in let's also put in Angel Hernandez

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-19-2023, 11:53 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post

: puke-icon:

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:09 PM
Michael

So hard to predict these things when we look at other marginal candidates that have gotten in. I wouldn't be surprised if none got in and wouldn't be surprised if a few do despite that they may not be deserving
Old 10-19-2023, 12:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hall of Meh...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-19-2023, 02:14 PM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
First ballot Hall of Shamer !
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Does attitude and stank eye get bonus votes?

https://youtu.be/yZPevbDtCbM?si=CZaCdvz24WOZetvi

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-20-2023, 12:48 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Yes, because that would mean he was out of umpiring for a few years
Old 10-19-2023, 10:49 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Pretty hard to see a world where Pinella doesn’t get in at some point.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

As an aside, Piniella's lifetime WAR as a player was only 12.4. That's shocking to me.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:15 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

This list does not seem like it has serious candidates on it. I guess someone will get in based on who the voting members like the most.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:29 AM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Pretty hard to see a world where Pinella doesn’t get in at some point.
I would agree if he had a second title as a manager. But he only had one. On the surface, he and Leyland have similar managerial records.

And we know Cito has two titles but I do not see him getting in. There are other 2 time winners who will likely not ever get in either- Houk and Tom Kelly.

I know Danny Murtaugh has been on ballot a couple of times. Bill Carrigan is an interesting candidate as he won 2 as a player manager but he had a short managerial career.

Dusty, Tito and Bochy certainly get in as future managerial selections.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:32 AM

It is so bizarre to me that someone like Hank Peters would appear on this list. The front office / general manager-type who belongs in the HOF is Gene Michael and he's not on this list.

Last edited by packs; 10-19-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 02:43 AM
Scott Smith

The BBWAA will likely vote in at least a couple of players from Beltre, Mauer, Helton, Wagner, Jones, so there will be an induction ceremony summer 2024.

In further reading about the Contemporary candidates I don't see anyone that jumps out at me as a selectee.

Gaston, Pinella, Johnson and White had nice playing careers but they are being considered as managers/executives. Torre was elected as a 4 time WS winning manager, not because of his playing career.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:55 AM
Rich Klein

My instinct says Leyland 1st, Piniella 2nd and as I grew up watching/listening to Bill White announce Yankees games I do have a soft spot for hoping he gets in.

To me the HOF need a contributor way of getting in and Bill White would get in that way (As Buck O'Neil should have gotten in all those years ago)

Rich
Old 10-20-2023, 10:02 AM

I would like to see a special election for contributors too. I feel like Lefty O’Doul is long overdue in that category.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would like to see a special election for contributors too. I feel like Lefty O’Doul is long overdue in that category.
Absolutely.

Thread needs a card

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-20-2023, 10:48 AM
Fred

Any support or consideration for Harry Pulliam as an executive?
Old 10-21-2023, 10:57 PM
Frank Wakefield

Golly... let's be against Bill White for something he didn't do?

He was NL president for 5 years. He wanted to see an increase in the number of black baseball executives, I guess that's what he didn't do.

I'm not the oldest here, nor among the most well read. (Just typing that has me missing Barry Sloate.) But I do recall AL umpires with that odd shaped bit of more mattress make shift chest protector thing that AL umpires used (I think it was invented by an AL umpire.) And AL umpires had those wine colored jackets at some points... seems to me that high strikes and curve balls were called differently in the two leagues. There were differences between the leagues. Bill White was busy, working on and helping with the unification and standardization of the two leagues. Baseball... tradition, that's something we like about baseball. NOT the changes. But we eventually accept the changes. The unification of the AL and NL offices was going against the traditional grain of baseball. (which years did Topps have individual cards for the AL and NL league presidents???) Baseball, generally, is resilient to change. From the present vantage point, I now think that change was a good thing. Baseball's biggest change involved Jackie Robinson. Bill White was the second black player to play in the Carolina League. The NL went to the DH. The bases are bigger. Pitch Clock. Lights at Wrigley. Players stopped leaving gloves on the field as they ran in to bat. Changes.

I agree, Bill White didn't get the front offices in Baseball to increase minorities in those jobs. We collectors didn't get that done, either. I still think that William Dekova White (I remember the entire name from having read about him, and others, in a 1964 Cardinals yearbook, that Dad brought home from a game we attended that year) is a strong and deserving candidate among those listed for consideration. White was with Yogi Berra and Pee Wee Reese in getting Phil Rizzuto into the Hall, I think that was a good move.

Joe West... 4 or 5 years ago there was a study done that said that West missed on just over 20 calls a game when behind the plate. He was an umpire for a long time. He may well have made more bad calls than any other umpire, ever. You could look it up, if you had ok eyesight. I liked Dutch Rennert. Chris Pelekoudas, Doug Harvey, Frank Secory (a south paw), Augie Donatelli... those were the names I'd here when listening to ball games late at night.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-21-2023 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 11:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Golly... let's be against Bill White for something he didn't do?

He was NL president for 5 years. He wanted to see an increase in the number of black baseball executives, I guess that's what he didn't do.

I'm not the oldest here, nor among the most well read. (Just typing that has me missing Barry Sloate.) But I do recall AL umpires with that odd shaped bit of more mattress make shift chest protector thing that AL umpires used (I think it was invented by an AL umpire.) And AL umpires had those wine colored jackets at some points... seems to me that high strikes and curve balls were called differently in the two leagues. There were differences between the leagues. Bill White was busy, working on and helping with the unification and standardization of the two leagues. Baseball... tradition, that's something we like about baseball. NOT the changes. But we eventually accept the changes. The unification of the AL and NL offices was going against the traditional grain of baseball. (which years did Topps have individual cards for the AL and NL league presidents???) Baseball, generally, is resilient to change. From the present vantage point, I now think that change was a good thing. Baseball's biggest change involved Jackie Robinson. Bill White was the second black player to play in the Carolina League. The NL went to the DH. The bases are bigger. Pitch Clock. Lights at Wrigley. Players stopped leaving gloves on the field as they ran in to bat. Changes.

I agree, Bill White didn't get the front offices in Baseball to increase minorities in those jobs. We collectors didn't get that done, either. I still think that William Dekova White (I remember the entire name from having read about him, and others, in a 1964 Cardinals yearbook, that Dad brought home from a game we attended that year) is a strong and deserving candidate among those listed for consideration. White was with Yogi Berra and Pee Wee Reese in getting Phil Rizzuto into the Hall, I think that was a good move.

Joe West... 4 or 5 years ago there was a study done that said that West missed on just over 20 calls a game when behind the plate. He was an umpire for a long time. He may well have made more bad calls than any other umpire, ever. You could look it up, if you had ok eyesight. I liked Dutch Rennert. Chris Pelekoudas, Doug Harvey, Frank Secory (a south paw), Augie Donatelli... those were the names I'd here when listening to ball games late at night.
It's not what he didn't do, it's that nobody can identify any merit-based hall of fame level achievements of his that he did do.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If Piniella gets in, get ready for a flood of new, exorbitantly-priced eBay listings for his rookie card. Not just his 'real' 1964 Topps RC, but his 1968 and 1969 Topps RCs as well. Going to be a lot of scamming going on, because those other two are technically rookie cards, but not his first card. How many sellers are going to spell that out?

Oh well, caveat emptor.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 10-21-2023 at 03:41 PM. Reason: buyers/sellers
Old 10-21-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
If Piniella gets in, get ready for a flood of new, exorbitantly-priced eBay listings for his rookie card. Not just his 'real' 1964 Topps RC, but his 1968 and 1969 Topps RCs as well. Going to be a lot of scamming going on, because those other two are technically rookie cards, but not his first card. How many buyers are going to spell that out?

Oh well, caveat emptor.
The one that really cracks me up is when someone asks for big bucks for a guys "manager rookie card", which I think in Piniella's case might be 1986 Topps Traded?
Old 12-03-2023, 06:10 PM
Mike

It's who you know. I think Joe Torre was on the committee ( a good friend).

Record of 1,769–1,728 as a manager. Just a tab over 50%. He has been a baseball man all his life, a HOF now.

IN 2 World Series for Detroit they were 1-8, with Verlander, Scherzer,Porcello as starters and Cabrera in his prime.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 12-03-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:20 PM

What did Leyland do to deserve that? Wow, a whole ONE World Series title in 22 seasons. This is pitiful.

Heck, put Danny Murtaugh in before this guy.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-03-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:26 PM

Leyland is very well liked in the baseball world...players, executives, and writers.

Purity tests for HOF'rs aside, being well liked is a big plus when it comes time to vote.

I find him a boring pick, but I don't find the pick unsurprising.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:37 PM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
What did Leyland do to deserve that? Wow, a whole ONE World Series title in 22 seasons. This is pitiful.

Guess nobody has ever heard of Billy Martin. Heck, put Danny Murtaugh in before this guy.
* Bochy, Baker and Francona will be elected as managers

I needed to look this up as to me post-season means a lot for managers:

Murtaugh/Gaston/Tom Kelly 2 Pennants- 2 WS
Houk 3 Pennants- 2 WS
Leyland 3 Pennants- 1 WS
Martin 2 Pennants- 1 WS
Piniella 1 Pennant- 1 WS

For managers, 3 titles is automatic, 2 and either another pennant or lots of wins usually gets you in. Houk certainly an outlier due to great NYY teams. Bill Carrigan other 2 timer not in.

The 3 pennants separate Leyland and he had some terrific Tigers teams that came up short.

Houk and Charlie Grim look to be only 3 time pennant winners not elected. Grimm has no titles.

EDIT- as HOF speculator I have the attached......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeylandPSAAuto.jpg (193.9 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by mainemule; 12-03-2023 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The odds of a corrupt result when you have a voting body of 16 insiders in a closed session is extremely high.

This format is a horrible idea if the intent is any kind of an honest outcome. The writers process has its issues but there are few corrupt choices from that process.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:52 PM
Jay Shumsky

I have to admit to being happy Joe West didn't come close to getting in. He was part of the group that received less than 5 votes.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:44 AM
Ste.ve J0hn.son

Bochum has five pennants and four WS. He will be a lock. A couple posts earlier shortchanged him. I listened to every game White did for years with the Yankees. We had a running joke the way he’d call games. “Line drive to right… check that - grounder to second.” “Deep to center (voice rises). That ball is .. caught on the outfield grass.” I thought he’d get in and I was OK with that.