NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Bruce is always very quick to assert his will, and has a trigger finger when it comes to potential lawsuits...he isn't like that in person, it's just his persona behind the safety of a computer.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Bruce is always very quick to assert his will, and has a trigger finger when it comes to potential lawsuits...he isn't like that in person, it's just his persona behind the safety of a computer.

death threat received.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Barry Sloate

Matt, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Jeff

He can't hold a candle to Archive, now that guy is trouble.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Al

I keep coming back to this thread, wondering if it's really possible that somebody threatened the software with a lawsuit, and each time I re-read it, I can't help but burst into laughter.

54 really is a great message board, but the silliness we encounter here sometimes really can't be described.

-Al
Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Jim VB

I think you're reading it wrong, Al. He wasn't really threatening to sue the software. That would be silly.

He was threatening to sue HIMSELF!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homer-x-ray-793429.jpg (13.6 KB, 768 views)

Last edited by Jim VB; 12-15-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I think you're reading it wrong, Al. He wasn't really threatening to sue the software. That would be silly.

He was threatening to sue HIMSELF!
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/z...-Castellaneta- Gotta have your speakers on to really appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Bruce Babcock

(in the spirit of Spartacus) I am Archive!

Last edited by uffda51; 01-14-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Steve Skibel

I filed a complaint on his current auction with ebay. Hopefully this guy gets shut down. People like this give our hobby a really bad name.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Ebay and PayPal will do nothing about this shit. Rob
Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Steve Skibel

These type of things are the very reason people often get out of our hobby. The common theme: fake, counterfit, switched out cards. or unqualified graders or companies grading cards. Why should anyone take the risk of spending $100, $1000, or $10,000 on a card that is not real. Talk is cheap until you get burned yourself. I guess if you are filthy rich its not that big of a deal. I believe the majority of us don't fall into this group. Companies like PSA and SGA should prosecute these people to help ensure the intergrity of their industry. When we purchase over the internet it is often like flipping a coin on the validty of ther card. This was previously the case with raw cards and now this is the case with graded cards.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Clayton

There are two MAJOR problems with this-
The seller selling the fake item knowing its a fake,and,GAI excusing themselves from any responsibility to buy these fakes back and get them out of the market.
I have heard of situations where PSA & SGC have made an error grading a fake,and did the right thing by purchasing the item back and removing it from circulation.
Ebay is also at fault for letting this seller sell the fakes.
Bad news all the way around.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Al

I'm not surprised that eBay and Paypal won't do anything about it, since the card the seller auctioned was properly described and the buyer received it and left positive feedback.

As far as PSA or SGC prosecuting, what's to prosecute? This is not the responsibility of the two grading companies that would never have graded these cards. It's the responsibility of collectors to be educated about the cards that they're buying - and it's also the responsibility of collectors to refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the grading company that slabbed this crap.

This is the "best grader in the hobby," by the way.

And if it sounds like I'm really pissed off about this, it's because I am - I collect '38 Goudey. It's my favorite set. I've devoted a good portion of my hobby time over the last 5 years learning about these cards, and trying to solve some of the set's mysteries. And there ARE mysteries, and one of them has to do specifically with "missing" cards that should have been produced - so the idea of "proof" cards is actually plausible. So when this kind of crap comes out, you bet it makes me crazy.

-Al
Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Clayton

The guy selling them must be a real piece of work.You said he's been told numerous times they are fake,and any decent seller would quit selling them and thank you for pointing it out to him.
And you are right Al-he keeps on popping up with a new one,and keeps on with the "I've only seen two others....I've only seen three others...(something to that effect)"..........
So how many could he have?
What is Ebay doing about it?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter67up View Post
These type of things are the very reason people often get out of our hobby. The common theme: fake, counterfit, switched out cards. or unqualified graders or companies grading cards. Why should anyone take the risk of spending $100, $1000, or $10,000 on a card that is not real. Talk is cheap until you get burned yourself. I guess if you are filthy rich its not that big of a deal. I believe the majority of us don't fall into this group. Companies like PSA and SGA should prosecute these people to help ensure the intergrity of their industry. When we purchase over the internet it is often like flipping a coin on the validty of ther card. This was previously the case with raw cards and now this is the case with graded cards.

This particular mess isn't on PSA. It's not on SCG. Not Ebay. Not Paypal.

It falls on a company that no longer exists (GAI), the seller, and uneducated buyers. Allocate the blame in whatever proportion you'd like.

It won't stop until someone buys some of his cards and LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK! If you buy his cards, find out you've been scammed, and then leave positive feedback, you've become part of the problem.

A simple line stating "1938 Goudey cards are fake and the seller knows it!" would suffice.

Edited to add: By the way, anyone reading this thread who doesn't go all the way back, but at least to post #50, is doing themselves a disservice! BEST. THREAD. EVER.

Last edited by Jim VB; 01-18-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Yes, and I left two negative feedbacks for a fraudster who had an underbidder who just bids on his items and also has a fake name (yes, I checked) drive up my final price twice -- and the negative feedbacks were removed by ebay in 3 days without even telling me.

Look, as I've said repeatedly, this hobby is filled with fraud and it is presumed and shrugged off as a 'cost of doing business.' Auction companies engage in multi-million dollar obvious fraud and a majority of people on the board still defend them. Dealers at shows lie to customers' faces and we're told that we should just laugh about it and walk away.

By the way, I have now been banned by Mastro/Legendary which makes them the second set of great guys who have banned me in the past six months. So, at least I'm annoying the right people.

Last edited by calvindog; 01-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
By the way, anyone reading this thread who doesn't go all the way back, but at least to post #50, is doing themselves a disservice! BEST. THREAD. EVER.
I agree. This thread was positively priceless. Thanks to those who revived the discussion about it.

Edited to add: The Andrew thread is definitely a close second, though, in my opinion

Sorry I didn't find Net54 sooner. You guys (and gals) are great.

Peace to all. Hope I didn't stir things up too much by bumping this thread back to the top.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 02-20-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Rich Klein

Default Slow Day at Work

So I finally read this thread and was laughing so darned hard that my manager had to come over and ask why

She agreed that suing yourself is a classic. And when I added about Bruce being no longer with us, it became even better

Rich
Old 04-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Anthøny N. ex

just as funny today as it was at the time. Rest in peace Bruce, and thanks for the laughs- intentional or not.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Jeff

THE definitive all-time classic N54 thread.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."