NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2023, 05:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

To each his own, but I can't imagine caring that much about whether people comment or not on any card I might post? What does that add to anything?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-14-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I do collect for the fun it brings. I'm simply saying "the good old boy" club, the same people over and over, practically fall all over themselves to pat on the back the latest "pick up", with, as Jolly says, a virtual Macy's parade. For "picking up" the latest 5 or 6 figure card. While those who collect for the fun of it get 100% ignored over and over. If that is what card collecting is, then I very truly might want to consider a change.
I won't claim poverty or anything, I'm very privileged to be able to spend some coin on cardboard pictures just for fun, but I do low grade on a budget too. I gather you don't do so much non-sport or minor sports as I gravitate too but we seem to be collecting the same exact baseball stuff.

I don't think it really matters if people ooh and aah over a pickup, I get the card because I need it for a set or I like it (and it's nice when a pickup thread leads to an email or call about another card in the set and creates an opportunity to add more I need or serves as a springboard for research or knowledge sharing I didn't know). The most desirable items will get the most comments and tend to be the most expensive items as that correlates strongly to desirable. Groups will definitely primarily respond to other members of that subgroup, but there's nothing stopping other low grade collectors from posting. High grade $100K card collectors primarily post and respond to high grade $100K cards, boxing cards tend to respond to boxing cards, T206 collectors tend to respond to T206 collectors. If you're bothered by subgroups and cliques, and I don't mean this in a negative way, I'm not sure there is any hobby for which this will not be the same. It's human nature, people gravitate to those like them who have the same or similar focuses that intersect. There's plenty of fellow low-grade collectors who share your interests (clearly, or I'd win all the auctions!)
Old 08-14-2023, 06:18 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I won't claim poverty or anything, I'm very privileged to be able to spend some coin on cardboard pictures just for fun, but I do low grade on a budget too. I gather you don't do so much non-sport or minor sports as I gravitate too but we seem to be collecting the same exact baseball stuff.

I don't think it really matters if people ooh and aah over a pickup, I get the card because I need it for a set or I like it (and it's nice when a pickup thread leads to an email or call about another card in the set and creates an opportunity to add more I need or serves as a springboard for research or knowledge sharing I didn't know). The most desirable items will get the most comments and tend to be the most expensive items as that correlates strongly to desirable. Groups will definitely primarily respond to other members of that subgroup, but there's nothing stopping other low grade collectors from posting. High grade $100K card collectors primarily post and respond to high grade $100K cards, boxing cards tend to respond to boxing cards, T206 collectors tend to respond to T206 collectors. If you're bothered by subgroups and cliques, and I don't mean this in a negative way, I'm not sure there is any hobby for which this will not be the same. It's human nature, people gravitate to those like them who have the same or similar focuses that intersect. There's plenty of fellow low-grade collectors who share your interests (clearly, or I'd win all the auctions!)
Well, I can't contradict anything you say, sir. I get it. I just blow off steam every now and then. You do seem to be the voice of reason.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 08-14-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I do collect for the fun it brings. I'm simply saying "the good old boy" club, the same people over and over, practically fall all over themselves to pat on the back the latest "pick up", with, as Jolly says, a virtual Macy's parade. For "picking up" the latest 5 or 6 figure card. While those who collect for the fun of it get 100% ignored over and over. If that is what card collecting is, then I very truly might want to consider a change.
Your complaining is beyond old. How about some accountability yourself. You never compliment any “good ol boy” cards. You just complain. Nothing is stopping you from starting a monthly thread to post pickups under a certain price, or of certain type of cards. You have as much control over what is posted as anyone else, yet instead of doing anything you just complain.

I am sorry you can’t afford what you want, sincerely. And I understand how it can be frustrating to see posts and discussions about things you can’t get. But I don’t understand why you begrudge and demean people who can have what you can’t. I took huge risks and worked my fucking ass off (and had some luck) to be in a position where I can buy six figure cards; part of those risks includes buying cards that are now six figures when the then-five figure price seemed nuts.

Anyway, if it’s so painful for you to see people get what you can’t, then this likely is not the place for you. Or maybe it is, but you just need to create your own niche and start threads that appeal to people with your collecting means and interest.

I wish you well and good luck. I do. And I don’t care if you don’t feel the same about the Good’ol boys. But it seems to me that this site and hobby causes you more pain than pleasure, considering a change is probably a good call.

Ryan Hotchkiss

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 08-14-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

Very well said
Old 08-14-2023, 06:41 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

2017 was my last year of really enjoying myself. Money was good and items were reasonably priced. It continued a bit into 2018, but then I noticed a change. Yes, values were going up on the cards I owned, but I would have rather the values stayed the same, and the purchases continued to be reasonably priced. I've mostly been in a holding pattern with my T206's, and maybe add a new card every few months, instead of every few days. I collect coins also. So I'm not completly lost. But the fun has decreased. There are days where I feel lost with no purpose. Many things have changed in the last 5 years of my life, and I'm trying to find my way back to the reality I once enjoyed.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 08-14-2023, 06:48 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Your complaining is beyond old. How about some accountability yourself. You never compliment any “good ol boy” cards. You just complain. Nothing is stopping you from starting a monthly thread to post pickups under a certain price, or of certain type of cards. You have as much control over what is posted as anyone else, yet instead of doing anything you just complain.

I am sorry you can’t afford what you want, sincerely. And I understand how it can be frustrating to see posts and discussions about things you can’t get. But I don’t understand why you begrudge and demean people who can have what you can’t. I took huge risks and worked my fucking ass off (and had some luck) to be in a position where I can buy six figure cards; part of those risks includes buying cards that are now six figures when the then-five figure price seemed nuts.

Anyway, if it’s so painful for you to see people get what you can’t, then this likely is not the place for you. Or maybe it is, but you just need to create your own niche and start threads that appeal to people with your collecting means and interest.

I wish you well and good luck. I do. And I don’t care if you don’t feel the same about the Good’ol boys. But it seems to me that this site and hobby causes you more pain than pleasure, considering a change is probably a good call.
As the rules state, post your name. Otherwise, your comments mean nothing, no one cares.

If you don't like what I say, the truth hurts, as they say. Go buy another Ruth or Cobb.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 08-14-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
As the rules state, post your name. Otherwise, your comments mean nothing, no one cares.

If you don't like what I say, the truth hurts, as they say. Go buy another Ruth or Cobb.
I edited my post to add my name (even though it’s pretty much there already). What is the truth, that I can buy Ruth and Cobb and I don’t give you kudos on a pickup that I don’t care about? Man that Hurts a lot; what an insult - “Go buy another Ruth or Cobb”…

I am done here. Good luck to you.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:59 PM
John I.

I think none of us should complain about our budgets. There are all sorts of kinds of budgets- there will also be someone with budgets greater or less than ours.

I'm a high-schooler without a job, and I can tell y'all it's pretty hard to go through the pickups threads and drool over the amazing cards. I'm only able to get good cards if I get a great deal. I have very expensive card tastes without much capacity to fill them.

But on the other hand, I have a good friend who loves collecting cards. He's part of a family significantly worse off than mine, and has probably about 2% of the number of vintage cards I have. If I'm so much better off than him card-wise what right do I have to grouse? The same goes for y'all.

Last edited by John1941; 08-14-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:03 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I edited my post to add my name (even though it’s pretty much there already). What is the truth, that I can buy Ruth and Cobb and I don’t give you kudos on a pickup that I don’t care about? Man that Hurts a lot; what an insult - “Go buy another Ruth or Cobb”…

I am done here. Good luck to you.
You didn't do a very good job updating your profile. And still, no one cares. As they say, b-bye.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 08-14-2023, 07:34 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

On the left is how this thread began. On the right is what it has devolved into...

beforeaftertornadodamage.jpg

In other words, it's just like every other thread ever.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:26 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Anyone Else Feeling Marooned on Vintage Collector Island??

One of the things I realized fairly quickly upon getting back into the hobby after a dozen years or so in 2015, is that the whole "Keeping up with the Joneses" game with vintage cards wasn't something I was going to be participating in. As I recalled from earlier stints in the hobby as an adult, back to the time I was hardcore into it as a kid - the general rule seemed to be that there will always be someone whose collection will blow yours away - but if you are paying attention - you will notice that you are often far more fortunate / accomplished than many others in what you are trying to do yourself.

I don't, as a rule more or less since this last run of adulthood collecting, do much with prewar vintage cards. I just don't. I think they are incredible, but the value proposition isn't there for me and my budget right now. I can get one lower grade second-tier T206 HOF'er for the same price as I could buy an EX or higher 1950's or 60's Aaron or Clemente card in most cases - and for that, I'll take the latter every time. Postwar vintage was my first love as a kid in the late 80's / early 90's - and those players, mostly those of my parents generation - remain the most relatable to me. So that's where I play. Technically, could I take my budget and current assets and turn a very nice, midsize postwar collection into a much smaller but more elite collection of 5-figure and higher cards that are older? Sure! But to me it's a hobby first and foremost, and I don't really see myself making that move without turning it into something more than just a hobby - so I'm happy to continue to live in my playground, at least for the time being.

As some here have pointed out, the postwar board here perhaps isn't super popular compared to the main board - but whatever. I'm happy to show off my pickups there, and hang out with Jolly and a few others. Heck, back when I first got interested in old cards there was no camaraderie the likes of social media and what we have today - so who knows, maybe I'm just used to kind of following the beat of my own drummer. Things may change one day, they may not - either way is ok with me.

James, I hope you can find some peace with it. I think every collector here - even those who do eventually finance what some of us would consider insane $ cards - have had that feeling of not measuring up and not being able to do what we might want to if money were no object. I don't know though, I find when I ignore that noise and just focus on what I like - there are still plenty of things I can buy within my budget that make me happy. I could conceivably continue to buy postwar stuff I don't have for the next few decades, and still not cross everything off my list. But that is just me.

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-14-2023 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:25 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
While those who collect for the fun of it get 100% ignored over and over. If that is what card collecting is, then I very truly might want to consider a change.
You are not collecting for the "fun of it", if you are upset about the lack of pats on the back your getting. Just sayin..
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums
Old 08-14-2023, 09:30 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
I think none of us should complain about our budgets. There are all sorts of kinds of budgets- there will also be someone with budgets greater or less than ours.

I'm a high-schooler without a job, and I can tell y'all it's pretty hard to go through the pickups threads and drool over the amazing cards. I'm only able to get good cards if I get a great deal. I have very expensive card tastes without much capacity to fill them.

But on the other hand, I have a good friend who loves collecting cards. He's part of a family significantly worse off than mine, and has probably about 2% of the number of vintage cards I have. If I'm so much better off than him card-wise what right do I have to grouse? The same goes for y'all.
This. +1
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums
Old 08-15-2023, 05:40 AM

Default No Card Posted Since Post Number 6 ??

Old 08-15-2023, 08:13 AM
John Donovan

My thoughts on the initial topic of this thread:

I definitely have had to change my collecting focus a few times over the last few years. Luckily I got back in to vintage a couple years before the "covid boom" and was able to pick up some cards my 10 year old self would never have imagined I would have (my first Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Jackie, etc.). It would take me a lot longer to save up for those cards now.

I completed a set in my favorite grade (a 1952 Bowman in an average EX range).

But as prices rose I started shifting. I started looking for more non mainstream sets from the 1930's. But as prices started rising on those, I shifted down on my condition requirements (now I'm fine with "collector grade"...i.e. cards that probably took a few turns through some bicycle spokes).

And recently I've been poking around sets from the 70's. Picking up lots of cards from 1975 Topps has been a lot of fun. It's from the year I was born and contains the rookie card of my favorite player (George Brett). And I should EASILY be able to complete a decent set for about $500. I could probably save money and just buy a complete set, but that's not NEAR as fun as buying lots, sorting, and maybe posting my duplicates for trade on the BST in the coming months.

I still have a small fund that I add to every month for another bigger card (I still want to own a Cobb, and Gehrig, and Aaron some day. And I will.) But I can also have fun putting together cheap sets too.

There always was and always will be cards I would like to own but understand I never will. But I'm blessed to be able to have enough income to be able to spend some of it on old cardboard with pictures of baseball players.

Life is good and collecting cards is fun. Reading and posting about cards on this forum is fun too.

Onward.

John
Old 08-15-2023, 08:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sometimes the best response is music, in this case, the great James Brown from Drive That Funky Soul:

You don't miss nothin' you never had
But you miss so much you wish you could get

It is a weird zeitgeist when card prices boom. On the one hand, we (purportedly) celebrate unfettered capitalism and individual wealth building, and we love to see the value of our stuff go up, but there is also a ton of vitriol unleashed on rich collectors who use their money to buy the most expensive toys, like the T206 Wagners that we mere working stiffs cannot afford. I get that feeling; I really do. I wanted to extend a double-barreled middle finger to the hobby in the early 2000s when it became apparent that I could never hope to finish certain prewar baseball sets I was into, especially the T206 HOFer portrait run. Before that, I could theoretically add a Plank or even a Wagner to my collection, but the meteoric price increases on those and so many other vintage cards pre-2008 just buried me and the pandemic price run dances on my grave.

Seems to me you have two choices when you feel like that: get out or find something else to pivot to in the hobby and enjoy what you can. I started collecting oddball cards and ephemera and Exhibit cards. As prices on those rose in turn (who’d ever have thought a Jackie Robinson anti-prejudice blotter would be a four-figure item?), I pivoted to other stuff, like inserts, premiums, Wheaties and matchbook covers, cards from other sports and even some non-sports cards and ephemera.

Ryan is one of the nicest guys you'll meet in this hobby and truly passionate about collecting. He is fortunate to be able to amass great stuff, and is great about it. No reason to hate on him, James.

Look, I get it, I get envy and jealousy. When someone else scores a great card, you wouldn’t be human if there wasn’t some envy or jealousy rearing its ugly head. I get cranky. For a minute. Then I congratulate my friend on his good fortune and move on. We’re (nearly) all human, after all, so I am good with a little green envy goblin skittering across the mind’s eye for a moment. More than that is unhealthy and unproductive. I don’t hate on people who have the resources to amass a great collection, unless they are dicks about it, in which case it is hate-on, but because they are dicks, not because they have the resources to collect large.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-15-2023, 08:48 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

It should be "fun". Whether that's find an error in a $1 bin (doyle please) finishing a set, or buying a wagner. You shouldn't have any remorse as to paying too much or not selling at the top. If you do, or think you might, just reevaluate your situation. It's only stuff!

Are you putting you family in peril by spending, alternatively spending too much time away from them trolling eBay for deals? After all, it's only stuff, and we just rent it, until the time comes it passes to someone else.

I can't fathom the increase in prices in some cards. They've been around 100 years, and now people think they are great investments. Aside from t3s (Hi Connor and Mark) which I always felt were completely undervalued, some of the other oversized "rookie" cards were never as popular as candy and gum cards. This is going back since the hobby started. T206s and 33 goudeys were filled in every auction house over the last 30 years (yes I started vintage at 16) and more people.held onto Ruth and Cobb cards/ephemera than commons. This evident from the photos, cards and mid-week pictorials than even as fragile as they are, still survived paper drives and in great condition.

The opinion seems to have changed. But I really think the "greater fool theory" is bound to happen eventually. It's fine if you don't have to sell and don't care about the value of your cards, but for some it will be a rude awakening. This happened in the late 80s and 90s when I started in the hobby. I was one of the only "kids" collecting vintage. The bottom fell out from speculators and over production and now the "kids" are selling there 1990s stuff at yards sales for pennies and never came back to the hobby. I see a lot of similarities and while history may not repeat itself, it certainly does rhyme.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-15-2023, 09:00 AM
Phil Reich

There are still great cards to be picked up.....some oddball issues, lower tier HOFers.....items that don't get as much hobby love....but great items nonetheless.....

I recently picked up the entire 1957 team issued set of photos of the Cincinnati Redlegs.....with the original envelope, which happens to have Frank Robinson in it.... technically a rookie year issue...and I got it for around $200...in great shape too.

I picked up a nice 1923 strip card of Eppa Rixey in a PSA 6 for $120...

A Tom Barker Game Grover Alexander rookie in a 6 for $300....

A 1906 Fan Craze Bobby Wallace in an SGC 8 for a few hundred....

So there are cool cards to be had....but if you are looking for the BIG boys, yeah, unless you have a large trust fund or are killing it on Wall Street, those cards are out of reach....the days when you could pick up T206s of stars for $40 are long gone.

Last edited by Svabinsky78; 08-15-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:10 AM
Chris

Speaking from the perspective of someone who returned to the hobby as an adult in 2019, then spent a year or so researching, learning, observing, and finally figuring out what my main collecting interest was by early 2020 (pre-WWI baseball cards), the whole of 2023 has been, for lack of a better word, exhausting. Don't get wrong, I love collecting. I love seeing all of the cool cards posted in the pickups threads and all over the board. Knowing I'll never be able to afford 98% of them doesn't bother me, I'm happy to see others completing their goals, just as I have my own goals I'm working toward.

The exhaustion for me stems from a couple of places. First, as Darren said in the original post, finding the combo of appealing and affordable outside of the B/S/T boards and FB groups has become nearly impossible. As avenues for reasonably priced cards dry up, more and more people flock to the few remaining good ones. As a result, as James has pointed out, you have to be fast or lucky or both to snag from what's posted. What's even more disappointing is there have been several times when I've seen cards on the B/S/T boards or FB groups get scooped up within a few minutes of being posted, then I find them on eBay a week later marked up 40-50% of what they bought it for. I totally understand that there are many who buy a deal to sell higher than they paid so that they can fund other cards they want, I get that. It's just deflating as a collector that would have loved to buy a card to keep forever, but missed out because I wasn't glued to my phone all day long. At that point, I have to either hope I get lucky that another is posted and I'm in the right place at the right time, or I overpay on eBay. Or, as has been my case for most of 2023, I buy nothing. Also, I'm always finding myself debating whether to overpay for something now, knowing it could be my last shot before it becomes forever unattainable, or continue waiting in the hopes that the price will eventually drop to a reasonable level. In short, the hunt is part of the fun of collecting for me, and it always has been. The mental hustle that it feels like it's become, however, is truly exhausting.

I collect by Luke Lyon's philosophy of love every card you own, which has helped me the most when deciding whether or not to buy a card, especially in deciding whether or not to overpay. As prices somehow keep climbing though, the result of that philosophy for me is that my collecting goals continue to substantially shrink. What I would have spent three years ago on five cards total that I loved, I now spend on one card that I love. As others have pointed out, I agree that there are other niches and corners of the hobby to move to, but for me it goes back to the philosophy of collect what you love, and for me that is baseball cards. I do enjoy collecting some pre-WWI soccer and boxing cards, but I'm definitely not as passionate for those as I am baseball. I'm not just going to collect something for the sake of collecting, I want to genuinely appreciate every piece I buy.

Sorry for that long-winded Debbie Downer post I intend to stick around and continue collecting what I love, I guess I just expected things to be somewhat back to normal by now, and I'm tired
Old 08-15-2023, 09:24 AM

Default One a month ...

I've always been a low budget, well-loved card collector. The prices of these items have also gone up. I chose not to stop collecting, live in angst on something I can't control, or to increase my budget; I just decided to buy no more than one card a month. Once the card is purchased, I don't shop for anything else. I still have fun ... the collection just builds slowly. And I continue to research and document what I have on my website, which costs nothing but time.

And I go fishing more
Old 08-15-2023, 10:19 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by destijl03 View Post
I'm always finding myself debating whether to overpay for something now, knowing it could be my last shot before it becomes forever unattainable, or continue waiting in the hopes that the price will eventually drop to a reasonable level.
I hear you. I think we’ve all felt that way to some degree at some point. While FOMO is a real thing, my real life collecting experience has taught me that you have to take that last shot, always. Having prices soften on a card you just bought is a way easier pill to swallow than watching one sail away into the sunset of unaffordability, never to be attainable again. Paper losses come and go. Cardboard losses haunt you forever.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:27 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I am pretty well convinced that the run up on tasty pre-War cards is, at least partially, due to the trillion or so passed out by the government for Covid relief, whether fraudulently or legitimately obtained.
And while I agree that Ebay is not the hunting ground it used to be, deals of interest still pop up. For example, last night a nice group of T206 commons, all mid grade 5's were on offer. The average closing price was about $300 with no bp but taxes. I picked up a couple and was very pleased.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A good rule of thumb.... Try to focus on what you DO have vs. what you don't. You will be a much happier person.

There will always be someone with more money and better "stuff". There are lots of people on this planet.

And if you just can't get past the envy, perhaps switch over to memorabilia... Whether it's vintage photos, tickets, ad signs, scorecards/programs, pennants, autographs, or game used uniforms/bats/hats, you can still find an endless number of pieces that display beautifully while celebrating the game just as nicely as cards (but at a fraction of the cost).

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 08-15-2023, 12:34 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
And if you just can't get past the envy, perhaps switch over to memorabilia... Whether it's vintage photos, tickets, ad signs, scorecards/programs, pennants, autographs, or game used uniforms/bats/hats, you can still find an endless number of pieces that display beautifully while celebrating the game just as nicely as cards (but at a fraction of the cost).
I totally get the appeal of cards, but this.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post

Originally Posted by perezfan

I totally get the appeal of cards, but this.
Absolutely. I veered into that area in the early 'aughts and while it too has gone up there are still myriad backwaters and eddies where you can define a niche for your collecting wants. I like Cubs on Catalina Island baseball stuff, like this snapshot of some players doing their best Seven Dwarves impression, Gabby leading the way through Avalon:

Or Gabby at the spring training facility on Catalina:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-15-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by destijl03 View Post
Speaking from the perspective of someone who returned to the hobby as an adult in 2019, then spent a year or so researching, learning, observing, and finally figuring out what my main collecting interest was by early 2020 (pre-WWI baseball cards), the whole of 2023 has been, for lack of a better word, exhausting. Don't get wrong, I love collecting. I love seeing all of the cool cards posted in the pickups threads and all over the board. Knowing I'll never be able to afford 98% of them doesn't bother me, I'm happy to see others completing their goals, just as I have my own goals I'm working toward.

The exhaustion for me stems from a couple of places. First, as Darren said in the original post, finding the combo of appealing and affordable outside of the B/S/T boards and FB groups has become nearly impossible. As avenues for reasonably priced cards dry up, more and more people flock to the few remaining good ones. As a result, as James has pointed out, you have to be fast or lucky or both to snag from what's posted. What's even more disappointing is there have been several times when I've seen cards on the B/S/T boards or FB groups get scooped up within a few minutes of being posted, then I find them on eBay a week later marked up 40-50% of what they bought it for. I totally understand that there are many who buy a deal to sell higher than they paid so that they can fund other cards they want, I get that. It's just deflating as a collector that would have loved to buy a card to keep forever, but missed out because I wasn't glued to my phone all day long. At that point, I have to either hope I get lucky that another is posted and I'm in the right place at the right time, or I overpay on eBay. Or, as has been my case for most of 2023, I buy nothing. Also, I'm always finding myself debating whether to overpay for something now, knowing it could be my last shot before it becomes forever unattainable, or continue waiting in the hopes that the price will eventually drop to a reasonable level. In short, the hunt is part of the fun of collecting for me, and it always has been. The mental hustle that it feels like it's become, however, is truly exhausting.

I collect by Luke Lyon's philosophy of love every card you own, which has helped me the most when deciding whether or not to buy a card, especially in deciding whether or not to overpay. As prices somehow keep climbing though, the result of that philosophy for me is that my collecting goals continue to substantially shrink. What I would have spent three years ago on five cards total that I loved, I now spend on one card that I love. As others have pointed out, I agree that there are other niches and corners of the hobby to move to, but for me it goes back to the philosophy of collect what you love, and for me that is baseball cards. I do enjoy collecting some pre-WWI soccer and boxing cards, but I'm definitely not as passionate for those as I am baseball. I'm not just going to collect something for the sake of collecting, I want to genuinely appreciate every piece I buy.

Sorry for that long-winded Debbie Downer post I intend to stick around and continue collecting what I love, I guess I just expected things to be somewhat back to normal by now, and I'm tired

534. Kiblitzer (Yiddish)
Someone who seemingly has a front row seat to every thread in the B/S/T, and rushes in to buy up everything before anyone else has a chance to even view it.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:06 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
A good rule of thumb.... Try to focus on what you DO have vs. what you don't. You will be a much happier person.

There will always be someone with more money and better "stuff". There are lots of people on this planet.

Exactly what I said. There's tons of great stuff out there.