NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2022, 05:13 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

From the seller perspective, this seems to me just another headache.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-25-2022, 05:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
From the seller perspective, this seems to me just another headache.
With sneakers the biggest problem is the extra time it takes to get your purchase. Can easily be a month from purchase date till you receive them.

On the flip side I have bought 2 pair of fake Nike off eBay before the change and now you see way less fakes listed.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:48 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Looks like potentially a good concept in the short term however depending on the cost after the limited time it might just be another way for eBay to make more money

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-25-2022, 07:11 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Looks like potentially a good concept in the short term however depending on the cost after the limited time it might will just be another way for eBay to make more money
I'm pretty sure making more money was the driving force behind their decision.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-25-2022, 07:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I'm pretty sure making more money was the driving force behind their decision.
ALWAYS!

we need a card...
from the BST recently
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n184d.jpg (76.8 KB, 1098 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-25-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:17 PM
James M

ebay's end game here is to obviously offer some kind of service where if you buy a card and it gets sent for authentication, you can just add on $20-25 to have it graded too.

I get that they want to try and eliminate fakes. But can you imagine the headache of buying a raw card for $300 on ebay on March 1st, and that card gets sent to CSG and sits there for 6 months in a backlog waiting to be authenticated?

it feels like ebay is just trying to drive as many people off the platform as possible by making things more complicated and convoluted.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:07 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

OK, so I buy a card on ebay. It is sent to their authenticator. They say it is good. I get the card, submit it to PSA and it comes back as fake. Then what?
Old 01-27-2022, 09:25 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
ebay's end game here is to obviously offer some kind of service where if you buy a card and it gets sent for authentication, you can just add on $20-25 to have it graded too.
This has long-term potential. Ebay could negotiate a grading rate with the major TPGs. When purchasing any card that meets the dollar threshold amount, the buyer could have the option to have the card graded. The options would include the specific grading company and cost.

Once the buyer selects the option and chooses the grading company, the buyer immediately pays Ebay. Ebay obviously keeps a small fee for securing the service on the TPG's behalf, and then sends the remaining money to the TPG. The seller mails the card directly to the TPG.

The TPG then grades the card and sends it directly to the buyer. Ebay makes a small fee off of the TPG grading fee, because it has the card supply and helped secure the TPG's business.

The TPG makes money, because it now is potentially grading cards it otherwise wouldn't. I think a buyer is more likely to have a raw card graded if everything is done upfront, as opposed to receiving the card and then submitting it themselves to the TPG several months later.

The card's buyer benefits on two fronts. The first is the shipping. The seller is the one shipping to the TPG. Today, a buyer pays shipping to his house from the ebay, shipping to the grader, and then return shipping. Under my scenario, the buyer just pays shipping to and from the TPG with the seller being the one that actually sends it to the TPG. Plus, the buyer is ultimately getting a graded card back quicker than if he submitted it himself down the road.

I know there are a lot of other factors, but I think if done correctly everyone wins - Ebay, the TPGs, and the buyer.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Looks like potentially a good concept in the short term however depending on the cost after the limited time it might just be another way for eBay to make more money
It depends on IF they ever decide to charge for the service. In sneakers it has said "FREE for a limited time" for a year so far.