NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
If that's the case, they should have announced all of the changes at once. This is clearly a reactionary move to PSA's announcement. It's what 2nd rate companies seem to always do, across all industries. Market leaders are leaders because they show initiative and pave their own path forward.
they posted a page long announcement on the website. they massively expanded their business and should be able to handle the peak daily submissions seen over the year with a 20-day turnaround. if not, they may raise prices again. it sounds like they want to use price to control submissions.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 03-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Eric Cheng

Looks like they continue to expand. Aiming at 6k card per day by end of the year.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:44 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
they posted a page long announcement on the website. they massively expanded their business and should be able to handle the peak daily submissions seen over the year with a 20-day turnaround. if not, they may raise prices again. it sounds like they want to use price to control submissions.
I hadn't read that statement yet. Now that I have, I'll admit that I was overly harsh in what I wrote. I am rooting for SGC. I can see now why they've done this, but unfortunately it hurts the world of graded set building tremendously. It was a stretch to grade commons at the previous prices, even with specials, and this new change does not bode well for the future. Perhaps grading commons & building graded sets will become a thing of the past, and only valuable cards will be graded, but I don't think that SGC wants to see this happen.

I'll hold out hope that as the business stabilizes, there will be specials / bulk sub deals made available so that grading common cards makes any kind of sense again.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 03-05-2021, 03:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Looks like they continue to expand. Aiming at 6k card per day by end of the year.
Gosh, I'm sure PSA will grade over 6000 cards today and have them returned to their rightful owners by the end of the year as well.

I wonder if it's possible to write off depreciation on cards held captive by a TPG for over 12 months.

Name three other companies that provide a service that takes over 6 months to perform, or 9 months, or 12 months.

I'll take a crack at the question to get it started

6 months - Snow plowing per annum in northern climates not susceptible to global warming.

9 months - Obstetrics where the end result almost always gets delivered in 9 months.

12 months - PSA where their calendars have the year removed so that express service can be delivered in days.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:25 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
I hadn't read that statement yet. Now that I have, I'll admit that I was overly harsh in what I wrote. I am rooting for SGC. I can see now why they've done this, but unfortunately it hurts the world of graded set building tremendously. It was a stretch to grade commons at the previous prices, even with specials, and this new change does not bode well for the future. Perhaps grading commons & building graded sets will become a thing of the past, and only valuable cards will be graded, but I don't think that SGC wants to see this happen.

I'll hold out hope that as the business stabilizes, there will be specials / bulk sub deals made available so that grading common cards makes any kind of sense again.
no one could have been ready for this surge in business... they had 7 employees!!! and they took all their cash flow and invested into the business. now as we sit here, SGC can actually handle the business volume. PSA and BGS basically did nothing to improve the model other than raise prices and give you 8 month wait times.
I do not understand why everyone is not using SGC from here on. And, a minor detail but they are the best and most consistent at the core competency of grading.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 03-05-2021, 03:33 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
no one could have been ready for this surge in business... they had 7 employees!!! and they took all their cash flow and invested into the business. now as we sit here, SGC can actually handle the business volume. PSA and BGS basically did nothing to improve the model other than raise prices and give you 8 month wait times.
I do not understand why everyone is not using SGC from here on. And, a minor detail but they are the best and most consistent at the core competency of grading.
SGC care about the customers, I do hope they can hire more than enough people then able to offer monthyly/quarterly/membership special for lower end bulk/set collector to grade the commons
Old 03-05-2021, 03:33 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
I agree with much of what you said here. SGC has been much more consistent than PSA with their grades over the years. It's strictly the registry and marketing that have created this brainwash amongst collectors/investors that PSA is the king of all TPG'ers. I mean you can't dispute the return from PSA vs others...but It's irrational...imo!

I DO prefer PSA's case as compared to SGC though...give me a psa case with a black background and id be happy.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Harrison

I'm wondering if it may be worth it for SGC to make a 'SGC Modern' division and use a differently styled holder to try to cheaply and efficiently rebrand for the modern market. They are just as capable of graders as PSA, and BGS. They also have a phenomenal customer service team - Brent always gets back to me quickly (even if it's with answers that I don't like ). I feel like SGC has backed themselves into a corner as being a Pre-war grading company and that they'll be stuck that way as long as they keep their black holders for modern cards (even though I personally love them).
Old 03-05-2021, 04:23 PM
Mike P.ap

Default SGC Update......

For those that have not seen this.......it just posted a day or 2 ago on the SGC site:

Hello...

Remember us?

We’re the grading company you heard a ton about not so long ago. The grading company that promised to do things differently than everyone else. The team that was apparently “changing the game” by emphasizing service and collector experience in addition to the accuracy and quality of our grades. The company that had seemed to be the last hope for so many of you. The last hope to turn things around and reverse course from the destructive path our competition was leading you down. The path where you had no say, no respect, and no other options. As services continued to decline, prices continued to increase. Turnaround times became downright outrageous and somehow they got even worse from there. The card collecting community needed help, but seemed to have nowhere to turn. That’s when we came in, screaming and shouting about how our experts were the best in the business and our turnaround times were unmatched. We were proud of our company, proud of our 20+ years of grading experience, and we weren’t shy about it.

We spoke, and you listened. It was as if a hobby lightbulb, dark and pent up for 20 years had finally been illuminated, bolder and brighter than ever before. The card community was finally ready to put not just some of its faith behind SGC, but all of it…and then some.

In the blink of an eye, our 12 man team was absolutely overrun. Over just a 7 day period, our intake had increased 20x what it previously had been. We were not only understaffed by about 70 or so employees, we also lacked the necessary policies, procedures, and infrastructure critical to effectively accommodate the new explosion of demand.

The task at hand was significant, and at times overwhelming. It was difficult choosing where to begin. Hiring was an absolute necessity, rapid expansion of space was a must, and our standard operating procedure that worked for 22 years was now completely obsolete. On top of that, with 20x the amount of cards at SGC, we needed 20x the amount of supplies.

As each day passed, the orders at our facility had inched closer and closer to their deadline, the deadline we had told all of our supporters to count on. Before we knew it, we were running behind schedule and SGC had experienced its first ever backlog. Meanwhile, the cards kept pouring in. Although it was far from the largest backlog in the hobby, the nearly half a million cards that we had in our facility were enormous in relation to the 12 SGC employees we had at the time.

Looking back, I realize that I should have come out and addressed the community much sooner than I did. If I could do it all over again, I would have detailed every challenge we faced and kept all of you completely in the loop so that your expectations would remain realistic. Obviously, this wasn’t the case, and I take full responsibility for the mistakes that I made.

Shortly into the surge, we realized we had some very big decisions to make. With all of the cards rushing in, we were bringing in a ton of money—money like our company had never seen before. Do we act as though everything is great and accept the public backlash in the name of immense profits, or do we reinvest all of these new dollars back into the company so that SGC can deliver the service the card community deserves? Staying true to our team’s core values, our minds were made up.

There was no time to waste, and our team immediately started building. We welcomed our first few new employees and more than doubled our workspace. Hobby talent from across the country believed in our message and decided to take the leap of faith to join the SGC movement. While growing the team, we refused to add more individuals than we had time to properly train. Although the need for bodies was at an all-time high, we chose to avoid the corporate mass hiring route. We had seen others make mistakes like that before. Instead, no matter what was going on at the time, I made sure to conduct these interviews myself, ensuring that only the best suited candidates were given the opportunity to handle your cards.

While the team grew larger and larger, we kept close track of the amount of cards we shipped everyday and we set lofty goals for ourselves, constantly looking to improve on the numbers from days and weeks prior. As the number of passionate SGC team members increased, so did our capacity. The progress we were making was rapid and there was no end in sight. Only 3-4 months after having a daily output of 200-250 cards, that number increased to 1,200. From there, our output hit 2,000. Only a short time and a few key hires later, 2,500, and then the goal became 3,000. The investment in ourselves was paying off and it became clear that the SGC model of scaling was the best in the business.

Finally, turnaround times were stabilized and our output had matched the inflow of cards. This was an amazing accomplishment, however, the stabilization took place about 5 months too late and the backlog remained at around 16 weeks. Growing large enough to keep up was hard enough; catching up seemed near impossible. Despite all of the infrastructure we had worked so hard to build, the SGC community was still not getting a fair shake. A turnaround time of 4-5 months is far from “changing the game” like we had originally set out to do. That’s when we decided to do what so many of you had been asking for, for so long.

We embarked on an unprecedented journey to catch up on our backlog and give the card community the kind of service that you all deserve. In addition to spending every last dollar we had on growth, expansion, and innovation, we decided to end all bulk discounts, immediately suspend marketing efforts, increase grading fees, and inflate posted turnaround times to decrease the inflow of cards. Sacrificing nearly all revenue, catching up was our one and only goal. As our payroll continued to grow and our rent and cost of materials stayed steady, the incoming cash flow completely dried up. We were “all in” on our plan to make things right and there was no turning back. The hardest part about it was that we had to keep the entire plan internal to prevent having the inflow of cards pick up with the community's excitement. This would only elongate the catchup process and would surely set us back from our goal.

As the catchup process had begun, we decided to allocate the money we still had into tangible upgrades that our supporters had been asking for. We made substantial investments across the board that we were hoping to reveal right around the time we announced that we were fully caught up…Well, THAT TIME IS NOW!!!

I am honored to share with you that we have delivered. The SGC backlog is completely nonexistent and it is never coming back. All of the apologies, the updates, the setbacks, the blood, sweat, and the tears have led us to this point. SGC is back and we’re ready. It’s built, guys, it’s ours now. This is our grading company, the grading company of the people, and the grading company of the future. We’re taking this thing back and we’re doing it right. Get ready for a grading experience unlike any other. In addition to your cards being graded accurately, fairly, and on time, you can also expect a level of transparency and insight like you’ve never had before. We’re going to take you behind the scenes to show you how this previously mysterious process works. We’re going to speak to you directly via an SGC podcast, where real life card enthusiasts, who do this for a living, share their unique hobby perspectives.

While we’re incredibly proud of our accomplishments and bursting at the seams with excitement, there is one catch. In order to continue to provide you with the service that you deserve, SGC quite literally has no choice but to raise our prices from a base rate of $15/card to $25/card. As unnatural as it feels to increase prices so drastically, we have already seen a tremendous uptick in business from word of mouth alone. Basically, a submitter got his/her cards back extremely quickly from SGC. They told their friends. Their friends submitted, received the same service, and told their friends. With more people made aware of our current turnaround time, our submissions have substantially increased. Our inflow has skyrocketed and although we’re now built to handle it, an exponential increase after this announcement is received, would mean that everything we’ve worked so hard to achieve would be jeopardized. We refuse to let history repeat itself and we will not take in more cards than we can handle. This means that if our capacity is exceeded in the first few days after this announcement is released, we will be forced to raise our prices once again to bring the inflow back to a manageable level. Having said that, our capacity building is far from over and we will be working day and night to avoid a situation where price is constantly increasing. Just yesterday, we received the keys to an additional 5,200 sq. ft. of work space, putting us at nearly 20,000 total sq ft...so far. Our goal is to surpass a daily output of 6,000 cards per day by year’s end.

We have scaled our operation at a pace far exceeding the competition and our work is only just beginning. We want to win more. We love cards more. And we appreciate your support more than they do. These are facts. I see it, breathe it, and live it everyday. Our team is the best in the industry and I am so proud of the growth that we’ve seen in ourselves. We will continue to scale until all cards submitted to SGC are graded and returned the same day they arrive. That is a lofty goal, but it is our goal nonetheless.

Stay tuned for more positive announcements coming very soon and thank you for everything you have done for this growing team. We would not be here without you and we will never stop working to make this hobby better for all of us.

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

Sincerely,

Peter Steinberg

President, SGC
Old 03-05-2021, 04:33 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow!

After reading the SGC President's message I just smiled! My years of faith and support for this company are paying off.

Bravo! Brutal honesty and transparency backed by years of experience and incredible customer service.

I am proud to own SGC cards. I seek them out. The underpaying days are over. You may think SGC prices "lag" but those days are gone!

Don't get me wrong, I send to all 3 main TPGs still as SGC does not do older autos or photos!

They are here to stay and if you doubt that, you are dead wrong!

Peace, Mike

PS Mr. Steinberg does not know it yet, but when I eventually move to Florida, I'll be working there!

Last edited by vthobby; 03-05-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:29 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Great...now get a registry going!
Old 03-05-2021, 06:11 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

The hype is real the hype is real!!!

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-05-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:16 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
The hype is real the hype is real!!!
Truth is real.

Peace, Mike
Old 03-05-2021, 06:18 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Let's lighten the mood.........

Got this email today about some kind of Natural Disaster on the West Coast. I was caught unaware!

Dear PSA Customer,

The tidal wave of submissions headed to PSA has turned into a tsunami of shipments coming ashore at our local USPS.

Frankly, too many for the local branch to handle.

So the PSA Security Team has sprung into action. Our team is physically going to the USPS branch to safely deliver the thousands of customer packages directly to PSA headquarters.

This means that your package is safe. You do not need to take any action, despite the messages you may have received from USPS.

Your shipments will be stored at our secure facility and we will diligently itemize each shipment over the coming week, at which time you will receive an email update and your order will appear in your PSA online account.

We thank you for your patience during this period of elevated activity. Your cards are in good hands.

Thank you for your patience,

The team at PSA
Old 03-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Mike P.ap

Default PO Box.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Got this email today about some kind of Natural Disaster on the West Coast. I was caught unaware!

Dear PSA Customer,

The tidal wave of submissions headed to PSA has turned into a tsunami of shipments coming ashore at our local USPS.

Frankly, too many for the local branch to handle.

So the PSA Security Team has sprung into action. Our team is physically going to the USPS branch to safely deliver the thousands of customer packages directly to PSA headquarters.

This means that your package is safe. You do not need to take any action, despite the messages you may have received from USPS.

Your shipments will be stored at our secure facility and we will diligently itemize each shipment over the coming week, at which time you will receive an email update and your order will appear in your PSA online account.

We thank you for your patience during this period of elevated activity. Your cards are in good hands.

Thank you for your patience,

The team at PSA
What REALLY caught my eye besides all of it was the simple fact that all packages shipped vis USPS to PSA go to a PO Box. Isn't it standard practice to get your packages at the PO Box and bring them somewhere? Furthermore, do these security team members now qualify as Combat Infantryman? Ahhh, the things that keep me up at night......

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-05-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Harrison

Graded and shipped backed the day of receipt would be something else!! If SGC pulls this off PSA is going to be in trouble.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
For those that have not seen this.......it just posted a day or 2 ago on the SGC site:

Hello...

Remember us?

We’re the grading company you heard a ton about not so long ago. The grading company that promised to do things differently than everyone else. The team that was apparently “changing the game” by emphasizing service and collector experience in addition to the accuracy and quality of our grades. The company that had seemed to be the last hope for so many of you. The last hope to turn things around and reverse course from the destructive path our competition was leading you down. The path where you had no say, no respect, and no other options. As services continued to decline, prices continued to increase. Turnaround times became downright outrageous and somehow they got even worse from there. The card collecting community needed help, but seemed to have nowhere to turn. That’s when we came in, screaming and shouting about how our experts were the best in the business and our turnaround times were unmatched. We were proud of our company, proud of our 20+ years of grading experience, and we weren’t shy about it.

We spoke, and you listened. It was as if a hobby lightbulb, dark and pent up for 20 years had finally been illuminated, bolder and brighter than ever before. The card community was finally ready to put not just some of its faith behind SGC, but all of it…and then some.

In the blink of an eye, our 12 man team was absolutely overrun. Over just a 7 day period, our intake had increased 20x what it previously had been. We were not only understaffed by about 70 or so employees, we also lacked the necessary policies, procedures, and infrastructure critical to effectively accommodate the new explosion of demand.

The task at hand was significant, and at times overwhelming. It was difficult choosing where to begin. Hiring was an absolute necessity, rapid expansion of space was a must, and our standard operating procedure that worked for 22 years was now completely obsolete. On top of that, with 20x the amount of cards at SGC, we needed 20x the amount of supplies.

As each day passed, the orders at our facility had inched closer and closer to their deadline, the deadline we had told all of our supporters to count on. Before we knew it, we were running behind schedule and SGC had experienced its first ever backlog. Meanwhile, the cards kept pouring in. Although it was far from the largest backlog in the hobby, the nearly half a million cards that we had in our facility were enormous in relation to the 12 SGC employees we had at the time.

Looking back, I realize that I should have come out and addressed the community much sooner than I did. If I could do it all over again, I would have detailed every challenge we faced and kept all of you completely in the loop so that your expectations would remain realistic. Obviously, this wasn’t the case, and I take full responsibility for the mistakes that I made.

Shortly into the surge, we realized we had some very big decisions to make. With all of the cards rushing in, we were bringing in a ton of money—money like our company had never seen before. Do we act as though everything is great and accept the public backlash in the name of immense profits, or do we reinvest all of these new dollars back into the company so that SGC can deliver the service the card community deserves? Staying true to our team’s core values, our minds were made up.

There was no time to waste, and our team immediately started building. We welcomed our first few new employees and more than doubled our workspace. Hobby talent from across the country believed in our message and decided to take the leap of faith to join the SGC movement. While growing the team, we refused to add more individuals than we had time to properly train. Although the need for bodies was at an all-time high, we chose to avoid the corporate mass hiring route. We had seen others make mistakes like that before. Instead, no matter what was going on at the time, I made sure to conduct these interviews myself, ensuring that only the best suited candidates were given the opportunity to handle your cards.

While the team grew larger and larger, we kept close track of the amount of cards we shipped everyday and we set lofty goals for ourselves, constantly looking to improve on the numbers from days and weeks prior. As the number of passionate SGC team members increased, so did our capacity. The progress we were making was rapid and there was no end in sight. Only 3-4 months after having a daily output of 200-250 cards, that number increased to 1,200. From there, our output hit 2,000. Only a short time and a few key hires later, 2,500, and then the goal became 3,000. The investment in ourselves was paying off and it became clear that the SGC model of scaling was the best in the business.

Finally, turnaround times were stabilized and our output had matched the inflow of cards. This was an amazing accomplishment, however, the stabilization took place about 5 months too late and the backlog remained at around 16 weeks. Growing large enough to keep up was hard enough; catching up seemed near impossible. Despite all of the infrastructure we had worked so hard to build, the SGC community was still not getting a fair shake. A turnaround time of 4-5 months is far from “changing the game” like we had originally set out to do. That’s when we decided to do what so many of you had been asking for, for so long.

We embarked on an unprecedented journey to catch up on our backlog and give the card community the kind of service that you all deserve. In addition to spending every last dollar we had on growth, expansion, and innovation, we decided to end all bulk discounts, immediately suspend marketing efforts, increase grading fees, and inflate posted turnaround times to decrease the inflow of cards. Sacrificing nearly all revenue, catching up was our one and only goal. As our payroll continued to grow and our rent and cost of materials stayed steady, the incoming cash flow completely dried up. We were “all in” on our plan to make things right and there was no turning back. The hardest part about it was that we had to keep the entire plan internal to prevent having the inflow of cards pick up with the community's excitement. This would only elongate the catchup process and would surely set us back from our goal.

As the catchup process had begun, we decided to allocate the money we still had into tangible upgrades that our supporters had been asking for. We made substantial investments across the board that we were hoping to reveal right around the time we announced that we were fully caught up…Well, THAT TIME IS NOW!!!

I am honored to share with you that we have delivered. The SGC backlog is completely nonexistent and it is never coming back. All of the apologies, the updates, the setbacks, the blood, sweat, and the tears have led us to this point. SGC is back and we’re ready. It’s built, guys, it’s ours now. This is our grading company, the grading company of the people, and the grading company of the future. We’re taking this thing back and we’re doing it right. Get ready for a grading experience unlike any other. In addition to your cards being graded accurately, fairly, and on time, you can also expect a level of transparency and insight like you’ve never had before. We’re going to take you behind the scenes to show you how this previously mysterious process works. We’re going to speak to you directly via an SGC podcast, where real life card enthusiasts, who do this for a living, share their unique hobby perspectives.

While we’re incredibly proud of our accomplishments and bursting at the seams with excitement, there is one catch. In order to continue to provide you with the service that you deserve, SGC quite literally has no choice but to raise our prices from a base rate of $15/card to $25/card. As unnatural as it feels to increase prices so drastically, we have already seen a tremendous uptick in business from word of mouth alone. Basically, a submitter got his/her cards back extremely quickly from SGC. They told their friends. Their friends submitted, received the same service, and told their friends. With more people made aware of our current turnaround time, our submissions have substantially increased. Our inflow has skyrocketed and although we’re now built to handle it, an exponential increase after this announcement is received, would mean that everything we’ve worked so hard to achieve would be jeopardized. We refuse to let history repeat itself and we will not take in more cards than we can handle. This means that if our capacity is exceeded in the first few days after this announcement is released, we will be forced to raise our prices once again to bring the inflow back to a manageable level. Having said that, our capacity building is far from over and we will be working day and night to avoid a situation where price is constantly increasing. Just yesterday, we received the keys to an additional 5,200 sq. ft. of work space, putting us at nearly 20,000 total sq ft...so far. Our goal is to surpass a daily output of 6,000 cards per day by year’s end.

We have scaled our operation at a pace far exceeding the competition and our work is only just beginning. We want to win more. We love cards more. And we appreciate your support more than they do. These are facts. I see it, breathe it, and live it everyday. Our team is the best in the industry and I am so proud of the growth that we’ve seen in ourselves. We will continue to scale until all cards submitted to SGC are graded and returned the same day they arrive. That is a lofty goal, but it is our goal nonetheless.

Stay tuned for more positive announcements coming very soon and thank you for everything you have done for this growing team. We would not be here without you and we will never stop working to make this hobby better for all of us.

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

Sincerely,

Peter Steinberg

President, SGC
Thanks for sharing this. As a collector who has never sent a card in to a TPG but owns some of every type of plastic card holder, I almost feel like sending them in a "SUB". Just to watch them "POP".

I always feel left out while others are subbing and pooping and I think they deserve a little shot in the arm for the Mea Culpa moment. Without a registry, how will mine pop though? I am very concerned, signed Anal Eddie.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
In order to continue to provide you with the service that you deserve, SGC quite literally has no choice but to raise our prices from a base rate of $15/card to $25/card.
Wasn't it $10 a sub a few months ago?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:55 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 View Post
Graded and shipped backed the day of receipt would be something else!! If SGC pulls this off PSA is going to be in trouble.
I seriously doubt it.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:57 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

My latest submission was received by them March 3. I'm expecting they will stick to the 60 - 75 day turnaround I submitted them under. If they do better, I'll be thrilled. It's always best to be a pessimist. That way you're never disappointed! 🥴
Old 03-05-2021, 07:15 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Wasn't it $10 a sub a few months ago?
Yes, I paid $10 per card a few months ago.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
My latest submission was received by them March 3. I'm expecting they will stick to the 60 - 75 day turnaround I submitted them under. If they do better, I'll be thrilled. It's always best to be a pessimist. That way you're never disappointed! 🥴
You’ll have your cards in 2 weeks

Monster #236
Old 03-05-2021, 07:49 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
Yes, I paid $10 per card a few months ago.
I paid $15 per card in May 2020.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:08 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I seriously doubt it.
You don't think they'd take some serious market share away from PSA if they were able to do same day turn around for $25 at scale? I know PSA customer's are loyal but I bet a lot of them would opt for a one day turn around with SGC vs 6+ months of waiting from PSA
Old 03-05-2021, 09:53 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Truth is real.

Peace, Mike
Mike, may it be so.
I started using them nearly 20 years ago and have pumped for them since.
Some of the people left who made that place tick, and if they've got a new heart transplant that breathes fresh life into their service no one will be happier than I.

They've always been the most competent TPG in my book, while allowing that they make mistakes like anyone.
This industry needs as many valued independent eyes as possible doing the work they do, it's the only chance for standards to reach the highest level.
I'm definitely pulling for SGC.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-05-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:57 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Well said.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Mike, may it be so.
I started using them nearly 20 years ago and have pumped for them since.
Some of the people left who made that place tick, and if they've got a new heart transplant that breathes fresh life into their service no one will be happier than I.

They've always been the most competent TPG in my book, while allowing that they make mistakes like anyone.
This industry needs as many valued independent eyes as possible doing the work they do, it's the only chance for standards to reach the highest level.
I'm definitely pulling for SGC.
Well said Daniel!

Peace, Mike
Old 03-06-2021, 03:07 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Last "Bulk" submission (1959 & earlier on these boards) to PSA is currently sitting at 10 months with no hope in sight on return date. Let me do the math for ya - that's like 300 days now.

Total BS - I am done with them -
Old 03-06-2021, 07:16 AM
Jimmy Motz

I gave up on SGC back in November when my last Sub to them came back, now I will never be back. Its one thing to jack your price if you are adding features but they dont. This Peter went on a similar rant a couple times before and nothing changed, I just dont trust him. I had been subbing with them for 18 years and then I finally realized nothing was going to change and when their website, Facebook page never updated and no return to emails or calls, I seriously thought they went out of business. The only reason they are caught up is probably they stopped getting new subs because people saw the same thing I was seeing, therefore they got their backlog complete and now have limited new business and at $25 a card it will be hard for me to see any reason to submit to them when after this latest rant we won't hear or see anything for 6 months again, as that has been their track record.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:22 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer77 View Post
I gave up on SGC back in November when my last Sub to them came back, now I will never be back. Its one thing to jack your price if you are adding features but they dont. This Peter went on a similar rant a couple times before and nothing changed, I just dont trust him. I had been subbing with them for 18 years and then I finally realized nothing was going to change and when their website, Facebook page never updated and no return to emails or calls, I seriously thought they went out of business. The only reason they are caught up is probably they stopped getting new subs because people saw the same thing I was seeing, therefore they got their backlog complete and now have limited new business and at $25 a card it will be hard for me to see any reason to submit to them when after this latest rant we won't hear or see anything for 6 months again, as that has been their track record.
they have a business that can now turn around cards in a few weeks. that is something none of their competitors can do, no matter how much money you throw at them. that is definitely worth something. I elected not to submit a few cards to BGS (they grade Star), simply because it's an 8 month turnaround. I can live without it. but a few weeks? that works.

Monster #236
Old 03-06-2021, 07:54 AM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer77 View Post
NO RETURN EMAIL OR CALLS? i call that BS. They respond quick, i made a submission mistake the other day, emailed them, customer service brent responded within 24 hours.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Marty K.

I am another guy pulling for SGC.... Although I have some cards that are in PSA holders.. I could never get myself to support that arrogant company.. even if it meant that I might lose money... Just couldn't do it.... I hope that everything SGC says becomes reality but the proof is in the pudding.... Let's submit and see... At $25 a card it will change the hobby and maybe just maybe increase the value of low to mid grade commons.... Which obviously would make it much more expensive to go after set completions.....

Last edited by yanks4; 03-06-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:34 AM
Ch.ris_Hel.mers

I agree on the responsiveness of SGC. I sent them a question on a card that was mislabeled and they returned my email within an hour, asked for additional information and confirmed what I needed to do all within the day.

Given everything else going on yesterday with the price changes I thought it was amazing how quickly they got back to me.

Last edited by HawkFan70; 03-06-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:09 PM
Ken McMillan

I would like to pull for SGC but the customer service on my last submission and the one before that were pathetic. I have some T210 cards that trying to decide where to send so may consider giving them another chance. I have always liked SGC until recently but my last submission was a disgrace compared to what I expected from them as a company. Hopefully tHey will start listening to their clients.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:15 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I rarely sub any cards but 2020 saw me making two subs to SGC as I like their holders and their turn around time, at least early in the year was much better than their competitor. I had a few questions about my sub and ALWAYS had a response within 24 hours if not sooner.

I gave up subbing because I did not want my cards being in limbo for a year but with this turn of events with SGC, I will probably put a submission together tonight. At this time I worry more about the post office and getting my cards to their destination and back to me safely than I am with SGC getting them back to me in a timely manner.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Great...now get a registry going!
Agreed!
Old 03-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Sonny Smith

I just tried to finalize a new submission on SGC's site, but even though the credit card payment went through (the charge is showing on my credit card), the submission still shows as unpaid / unfinished on SGC's website.

Is this normal? Or maybe a glitch with the new site? I will call tomorrow to get it sorted out.

The process of taking the payment upfront should be reconsidered by the SGC team. It seems odd to have to make payment even before putting your cards in the mail to them. Even if they just charged your credit card when they started the grading process would be a much better business practice IMO.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:52 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Paid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyu2 View Post
I just tried to finalize a new submission on SGC's site, but even though the credit card payment went through (the charge is showing on my credit card), the submission still shows as unpaid / unfinished on SGC's website.

Is this normal? Or maybe a glitch with the new site? I will call tomorrow to get it sorted out.

The process of taking the payment upfront should be reconsidered by the SGC team. It seems odd to have to make payment even before putting your cards in the mail to them. Even if they just charged your credit card when they started the grading process would be a much better business practice IMO.
On my submissions, I always hand write over by the total something like "paid with paypal on 3/5/21) or (pd with visa on 3/5/21), I've never had a problem or misunderstanding, if there is a problem, they will get a hold of you once they receive it.

Peace, Mike
Old 03-07-2021, 02:34 PM
Sonny Smith

Quote:
On my submissions, I always hand write over by the total something like "paid with paypal on 3/5/21) or (pd with visa on 3/5/21), I've never had a problem or misunderstanding, if there is a problem, they will get a hold of you once they receive it.

Peace, Mike
I just emailed them and got a response within minutes (on a Sunday even).

There is an "issue" that they are aware of and working on fixing it. Sounds like the PayPal payment system is not interacting correctly with their site on certain transactions. The transaction will go through on the submitter's end, but show as not going through on SGC's end. Technical glitch.

Was nice to get a response so quickly from them.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

SGC should sell at a premium to PSA for prewar IMO. Honestly, I prefer BGS for modern as well but I really think BCGG or whatever their sister service is called ruined their reputation among newcomers to the hobby. PSA just did a good job of marketing and being the established player in the industry at the right time.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
SGC should sell at a premium to PSA for prewar IMO. Honestly, I prefer BGS for modern as well but I really think BCGG or whatever their sister service is called ruined their reputation among newcomers to the hobby. PSA just did a good job of marketing and being the established player in the industry at the right time.
Agree on all points.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:19 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Last "Bulk" submission (1959 & earlier on these boards) to PSA is currently sitting at 10 months with no hope in sight on return date. Let me do the math for ya - that's like 300 days now.

Total BS - I am done with them -
I am so sorry Lonnie. I hope you don't hold me responsible....I got all the paperwork filed away...as soon as I get them back, I will get them out. Look at the bright side. The cards have appreciated since then??
Old 03-08-2021, 05:31 PM
Joe

PSA sells for more than any other grading company because it’s name is more
well known for the general public. SGC is a great
company and possibly one day their sales will match.
I don’t mind paying a little less for SGC and I don’t mind
my cards selling for a little less. But I don’t sell many
5 figure cards. That would make a huge difference IMO.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
My hunch is that SGC has slowly been taking advantage of the crazy lag times with other TPGs.

I sent them 3 not so valuable vintage cards that they got on 3/1/21 and they are heading back! I paid $15 per card. (3 days turnaround!)

I submitted 8 (old labels with a range of values) and they logged them on 2/26/21. They are on their way back to me as of 3/4/21! (7 day turnaround)

I submitted 4 T206 cards (with 3 Hall of Famers) at the $15 per level and they logged them on 2/23/21 and they are now on the way back to me!! (9 day turnaround)

I send a lot to all companies based on which I feel is best for the card and this recent turnaround time with SGC is astounding!

Love it!

Peace, Mike
I submitted a reholder of my T206 Evers portrait today. Totally intact slab but I want the new label with the big number. Arriving Friday in the mail (allegedly). I would never have even considered it save for hearing the good news in this thread.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:48 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
You’ll have your cards in 2 weeks
From your lips to the grading gods' ears!

I most certainly hope you are right and not me!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:53 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Wid is right.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
From your lips to the grading gods' ears!

I most certainly hope you are right and not me!
Then worst part of the journey will be the US Mail system. SGC is caught up and cranking. That is a fact. Of course no guarantees but you will get your cards back from them right now faster than any TPG. Fact.

Peace, Mike
Old 03-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Me too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
I submitted a reholder of my T206 Evers portrait today. Totally intact slab but I want the new label with the big number. Arriving Friday in the mail (allegedly). I would never have even considered it save for hearing the good news in this thread.
I'm sending some more for reholder soon, I'll post my results at that time!

Mike
Old 03-08-2021, 09:00 PM
Eric Cheng

USPS delivered today (reholder/$15 sub) around 2x card
site hasn't updated with received yet, will see how long it takes
Old 03-09-2021, 03:32 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am so sorry Lonnie. I hope you don't hold me responsible....I got all the paperwork filed away...as soon as I get them back, I will get them out. Look at the bright side. The cards have appreciated since then??
Bobby - Let me clarify so as not to misunderstand.

Not done with "Bobby" (as you have been a Rockstar in facilitating all of these past submissions) - Just pretty much have had it with PSA which seems to have adopted the new business model of -

"Who cares about delivering an advertised product, in a reasonable time frame? We can always just jack the price up and get more customers... pffft!"

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 03-09-2021 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:15 AM
And.y Ell.is

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Bobby - Let me clarify so as not to misunderstand.

Not done with "Bobby" (as you have been a Rockstar in facilitating all of these past submissions) - Just pretty much have had it with PSA which seems to have adopted the new business model of -

"Who cares about delivering an advertised product, in a reasonable time frame? We can always just jack the price up and get more customers... pffft!"
I completely agree, they raise prices and still their turnaround is awful. I also
wonder, when they agreed to grade the whole Uncle Jimmy collection, how many peoples subs where totally delayed. This is who this company is they think they are elite as they get the best retail for being in their holders, but it does NO good if you wait months on months past the promised return date.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Robert Williams

On a side note, I had to call PSA today with a question about the Quarterly Ticket Special. I tried to call yesterday and was told their allotted calls were through for the day and to try back tomorrow. So I called right when they opened at 10:00 eastern. Got a busy signal and a hangup. When I was finally able to get through at 10:03, I left my number in the queue and was told there was 103 callers ahead of me. At 10:03.