NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-31-2020, 06:07 AM
Clint

Mark that is a gorgeous poster!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:02 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1977 Sertoma Orioles

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I always have loved the oddball issues. Here is mine of my all time favorite Oriole. I like it because it's on a off white card stock and has that warm vintage feel to it.
I too am a fan of the oddball Orioles stuff. Were you aware that the Sertoma cards come in light and dark variations. I think I like the lighter version better also.

1977 Sertoma Stars #1.JPG
1977 Sertoma Stars #2.JPG
1977 Sertoma Stars #3.JPG
Old 01-31-2020, 08:31 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1977 Sportscaster Brooks Robinson

Here's another Brooks Robinson oddball that isn't too hard to find, the 1977 Sportscaster cards

The Sportscaster cards were available through a subscription deal, a few cards mailed to you each month. The subjects included a wide variety of sports and I've even seen some non-sports cards. They are 4 1/2" x 6". The early issues appear to be easier to find, because most people tended to cancel their subscription at some point. Some of the later issues can go for big bucks to player and team collectors.

The Orioles I have include Brooks Robinson (1977), Earl Weaver (1978) and Jim Palmer, Mike Flanagan, Frank Robinson, Memorial Stadium (1979)

For those of you who enjoy variations, the Brooks Robinson has two different backs. On the last line at the bottom, one card has a capital A printed, while the other has no A. Not sure why.

Front of card

1977 Sportscasters.jpg

Back of card

SCAN7766-1.jpg

Close up of variation with A printed on the last line

SCAN7766.JPG
Old 01-31-2020, 09:19 AM
Hal T.

From the Heritage Auction in Nov. 2015 when Brooks cleaned out his trophy case and donated 100% of the proceeds to the Constance & Brooks Robinson Foundation.

The Waterford Crystal bowl is engraved, "Jack Dunn Memorial Service Award, Brooks Robinson, Tops in Sports Banquet, January 12th, 1990."

I had fallen asleep during the auction and upon waking up had lost out on all the lots I had bid on. Fortunately, I was able to make the owner of the bowl an offer which he accepted.

When Brooks signed the photo, he initially spelled piece (peace) incorrectly. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3540.jpg (69.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3542.jpg (75.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 01-31-2020, 02:26 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Here's another Brooks Robinson oddball that isn't too hard to find, the 1977 Sportscaster cards

The Sportscaster cards were available through a subscription deal, a few cards mailed to you each month. The subjects included a wide variety of sports and I've even seen some non-sports cards. They are 4 1/2" x 6". The early issues appear to be easier to find, because most people tended to cancel their subscription at some point. Some of the later issues can go for big bucks to player and team collectors.

The Orioles I have include Brooks Robinson (1977), Earl Weaver (1978) and Jim Palmer, Mike Flanagan, Frank Robinson, Memorial Stadium (1979)

For those of you who enjoy variations, the Brooks Robinson has two different backs. On the last line at the bottom, one card has a capital A printed, while the other has no A. Not sure why.

Front of card

Attachment 383655

Back of card

Attachment 383658

Attachment 383659

Hi Alan:

If you look closely, there also appears to be subtle cropping differences in those front photos as well.

Bill

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-31-2020 at 02:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
I always have loved the oddball issues. Here is mine of my all time favorite Oriole. I like it because it's on a off white card stock and has that warm vintage feel to it.
I’m with you on the odd ball stuff. I think the Sertoma cards are a nice example of odd and with the light and dark versions it just adds to it. Of corse the Brooks is my favorite example.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

I guess I should pay more attention concerning variations. Again didn’t know that there was any differences on the Sportscaster cards. I’ve always liked the late career photo of Brooks batting used. Game action, white panel helmet front, ear flap, short bill, the start of batting gloves (glove), eye black, crowd in the stands, etc. Photo has it all!

Thanks for the information on the variation.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:21 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriolesHOF View Post
From the Heritage Auction in Nov. 2015 when Brooks cleaned out his trophy case and donated 100% of the proceeds to the Constance & Brooks Robinson Foundation.

The Waterford Crystal bowl is engraved, "Jack Dunn Memorial Service Award, Brooks Robinson, Tops in Sports Banquet, January 12th, 1990."

I had fallen asleep during the auction and upon waking up had lost out on all the lots I had bid on. Fortunately, I was able to make the owner of the bowl an offer which he accepted.

When Brooks signed the photo, he initially spelled piece (peace) incorrectly. lol
Hal,

Any chance for a closeup on the crystal bowl? I said it before, but I went all out on the Brooks flip up sunglasses and came up short in the Heritage Auction. I bid on other items as well, but didn’t win a thing... I was really surprised at the money they were getting for the Gold Glove awards.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:34 PM
Alan Strout

Default Sportscaster Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Hi Alan:

If you look closely, there also appears to be subtle cropping differences in those front photos as well.

Bill
Bill,

You are correct. After a little research, some of the Sportscaster cards also have B & C variations, as well as Lausanne & Geneva variations. The two I posted are have Lausanne at the bottom. My understanding that there were several print runs. I don't know if Brooks is available in all the variations, but there is a B/Geneva variation for sure. The date is also 1979 instead of 1977. Confused. I was doing the research. Part of the fun.

Here's the B/Geneva Back

B variation.jpg
Old 01-31-2020, 08:36 PM
M@rk Comer

Alan,

So at least there's a Lausanne then a Lausanne: A and there's a Geneva: B . Is that it or are there more possibilities?
Old 02-01-2020, 03:17 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 32 (February 1, 2020 – 032)

Brooks Robinson had several nicknames and one of those was “The Human Vacuum Cleaner”. I’ve said before I try to keep the collecting within Brooks’ playing days, but sometimes I see a shiny card in which I like the look and pick it up. The following cards were from the 2009 Topps Baseball Series 2, Legends of the Game, that had a commemorative letter patch that spelled out…well you may have guessed it, “VACUUM CLEANER”. Man, Topps sometimes kills me, and you figure they’d have the cards numbered /50 (which means the A, U and E /100), but of course I had to try to get ALL the letters to spell it out (SUCKER…).

2009 Topps Legends of the Game

Day 32.jpg
Old 02-01-2020, 07:56 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1977 Sportscaster Orioles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Alan,

So at least there's a Lausanne then a Lausanne: A and there's a Geneva: B . Is that it or are there more possibilities?
Mark,

The short answer is yes, there are probably more variations of the Brooks Robinson card. After doing some research, here are the Orioles cards I can confirm. All of these say "Printed in Italy" and are the US versions.

Brooks Robinson #16-07 - 1977 Lausanne, 1977 Lausanne A, 1979 Geneva B

Earl Weaver (Lingo II) #18-16 - 1978 Lausanne

Jim Palmer #26-15 - 1978 Lausanne, 1979 Geneva A, 1979 Geneva B, 1979 Geneva C

Memorial Stadium #58-12 - 1979 Lausanne

Frank Robinson #59-20 - 1979 Lausanne, 1979 Geneva A

Mike Flanagan #102-01 - 1979 Geneva, 1979 Geneva A

Here's the long answer...
These are some of my thoughts, but without any concrete facts to back them up. My guess is that as new subscribers came on, after the first printings of earlier cards, they were given the opportunity to purchase earlier sets (causing several print runs A, B, C). This would explain the Brooks Robinson with 1977 & 1979 dating, as well as the fact that the earlier cards seem to have more variations. It also looks like the early print runs are Lausanne and at some point in 1979 were switched to Geneva.

Supposedly, there were also cards issued for distribution in England and perhaps other countries. Also, "Printed in Japan" cards.

Hope this helps. I'll update as I come across any additional info. Anyone with corrections/additions feel free to reply.

Here are some excerpts taken from an earlier Net54 thread, from 2014-2015, that I based some of my thoughts on.

It's been a really fun set to work on but I fear that going any further in terms of collecting variations may be difficult. Part of the problem with this set is that because there is so little info out there regarding the variations available even the most detail oriented collectors may not realize that they have a particular version or variation of a card, meaning that happens to be a feature which is neglected when selling and trading. Just hop onto ebay for some evidence of this--relatively few listings identify simple information such as the series and card number, let alone if they are a 'A, B, C' or 'Japan, Lausanne, Geneva' variation or if the card in the listing is from the US or UK set. Heck, some of the listings aren't even using the term 'Sportscaster', complicating matters even further.

I don't have a complete set yet, but I've been tracking variations for each series as a long-term project. I've found a lot so far in the different printings - A, B, C, blank.

As you might guess, the higher numbered series tend to be tougher to find...series 1-55 are the most readily available but also, in my experience, seem to be the series with the greatest number of variations. Series 80 and above tend to be the toughest but also appear to have the fewest number of variations.

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 02-01-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:09 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Dixie Lids

For years, Dixie Cup ice cream pictured movie stars, sports stars and other subjects on their lids. The only Oriole was Clint Courtney in 1954. The lids can be found with the tab on the right or left. The real fun in collecting them is the wide variety of backs that can be found. I have 16 different backs and try and pick up new ones if the price is right. I sure there are dozens of backs issued that I've never seen. I've even seen lids from Canada.

1954 Dixie Lids #1.JPG

1954 Dixie Lids (Backs) #1.jpg 1954 Dixie Lids (Backs) #2.jpg 1954 Dixie Lids (Backs) #3.JPG
Old 02-01-2020, 08:56 AM

Wow that’s some collection of Dixie lids !
Allan I PM you the list off Bob Lefffler players. Did you get it ? Sometimes my PM don’t go through. Scott
Old 02-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Hal T.

Quote:
Hal,

Any chance for a closeup on the crystal bowl?
Here you go Mark.

"Jack Dunn Memorial Service Award, To Brooks Robinson, Tops in Sports Banquet, January 12th, 1990."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3683.jpg (81.5 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by OriolesHOF; 02-01-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:54 AM
Hal T.

Two of your favorites Mark. I have about 40 of these snappers from the '70 World Series. The first Brooks indicates "World Series Oct. 1969."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3684.jpg (70.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3685.jpg (72.6 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:19 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
For years, Dixie Cup ice cream pictured movie stars, sports stars and other subjects on their lids. The only Oriole was Clint Courtney in 1954. The lids can be found with the tab on the right or left. The real fun in collecting them is the wide variety of backs that can be found. I have 16 different backs and try and pick up new ones if the price is right. I sure there are dozens of backs issued that I've never seen. I've even seen lids from Canada.
Alan,

Thanks for the information on Sportscasters. I know I have several of these tucked away so I’ll have to check the back to see what I have currently. At least I know there are definitely some variations and can at least be aware they are out there.

Now the Dixie Cup Lids sounds like a fun project. Huh, only one Oriole though. How many player lids are there in the set or grouping? Looks like the variations could be quite high.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:20 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Dixies

Nice dixies
But you dont have the different sizes
Old 02-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I noted yesterday that it was Jackie Robinson's birthday & it reminded me that I have this March 1955 AP Wirephoto from Spring Training at Vero Beach with Les Moss running up the line with Jackie Robinson taking the throw at first base.

Obviously, it's hard to find things that connect both Jackie and the Orioles directly.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Today, I offer up some drawings I know a little about, but would be interested if those from the Baltimore area know more about them.

I have five drawings of Orioles players from 1978-79 done by artist Bob Leffler. I know there are more out there, but don't have any kind of checklist. In one of the Orioles 1978 programs is an ad for his art. It looks like the ad is for original color drawings. Mine are not original drawings, but look to be produced for resale. They are B&W, dated and on regular 8 1/2" x 11" paper.

Anyone with more info, a checklist or have any for sale, let me know.

Attachment 383519

Here are the five I have - Al Bumbry, Rich Dauer, Mike Flanagan, Brooks Robinson and Ken Singleton

Attachment 383520

Attachment 383521

Attachment 383522

Attachment 383523

Attachment 383524
Here are the ones I have :
Bumbry 78, Smith 78, Crowley 79, D. Martinez 78, Palmer 78, Belanger 79, T.Matinez 79, Singleton 78, Stanhouse 79, Kelly 79, DeCince 79, Skaggs 79, Murray 79, Dempsey 79, McGregor 78, F Robinson 78, May 79, Stewart 79, Garcia 79, B Robinson 78, Lowenstein 79, Weaver 79, Renicke 79, Ayala 79, Flanagan 78, Stoddard 79, Dauer 79, Stone 79, and 2 more from 79 I am unsure of ... maybe Harlow ? and a pitcher

Last edited by quitcrab; 02-01-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Dixie Lids

Quote:
Alan,

Now the Dixie Cup Lids sounds like a fun project. Huh, only one Oriole though. How many player lids are there in the set or grouping? Looks like the variations could be quite high.
Mark,

I believe there are 18 baseball players in the 1954 set as well as baseball players from the 1952-1953 sets. They came in three sizes, approx 2 1/4", 2 3/4" and 3 1/4".
Old 02-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954 Dixie Lids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
Nice dixies
But you dont have the different sizes
Thanks Larry. Yes, all of mine are approx 2 3/4". I wouldn't say I actively pursue them. The mid size lids are the ones I usually come across and just haven't picked up any other sizes yet.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Snapshots

Quote:
Two of your favorites Mark. I have about 40 of these snappers from the '70 World Series. The first Brooks indicates "World Series Oct. 1969."
First, thanks for posting a closeup of the Tops in Sports award. That is such a nice piece.

I LOVE ALL OF THE SNAPSHOTS YOU POSTED. I think it’s neat looking that the person taking the pics got part of the dugout top. Of course you only posted four; so, we’ll wait on the other thirty-six The one with LeRoy Neiman pictured with Bench has to be my favorite even though Brooks isn’t pictured. Think I mentioned it before, but Bench was my favorite non-Oriole.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Curt

There is a vast variety of Sportcaster cards issued in a variety of different countries. I think there is a good thread on one of the boards.
I have 4-5 Garvey variations I believe. Garvey also is on 2 of the cards, so double the fun in finding obscure variations. Don't forget the unopened packs too!

Quote:
Alan,

Old 02-01-2020, 02:28 PM
John

Glad others like the Sportscaster set...it's one of my favorites...I was an original subscriber but stopped at some point while in college...I completed the set many years ago (all 2,184 cards) and also have all the booklets and digests...still have my original green filing tray and the coin...hard to tell how many variations there are...I have quite a few..the cards make nice autograph material...I think I have over 50 signed and over half of them are baseball...almost all were obtained in person at shows...a few were mailed out in the 80's...here are some of my signed ones I have on display

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2020, 03:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
I noted yesterday that it was Jackie Robinson's birthday & it reminded me that I have this March 1955 AP Wirephoto from Spring Training at Vero Beach with Les Moss running up the line with Jackie Robinson taking the throw at first base.

Obviously, it's hard to find things that connect both Jackie and the Orioles directly.
If you’d like to commemorate something non-Oriole go for it... Think the majority here like baseball, football, basketball, hockey, etc.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:35 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
Glad others like the Sportscaster set...it's one of my favorites...I was an original subscriber but stopped at some point while in college...I completed the set many years ago (all 2,184 cards) and also have all the booklets and digests...still have my original green filing tray and the coin...hard to tell how many variations there are...I have quite a few..the cards make nice autograph material...I think I have over 50 signed and over half of them are baseball...almost all were obtained in person at shows...a few were mailed out in the 80's...here are some of my signed ones I have on display
John,

The Sportscaster cards look GREAT signed...
Old 02-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1977-79 Sportscaster cards

Quote:
Glad others like the Sportscaster set...it's one of my favorites...I was an original subscriber but stopped at some point while in college...I completed the set many years ago (all 2,184 cards) and also have all the booklets and digests...still have my original green filing tray and the coin...hard to tell how many variations there are...I have quite a few..the cards make nice autograph material...
Congrats on the complete set. Maybe you can help with a couple questions.

I've seen several references to the set being complete at 91 sets (2,184 cards).
That makes sense with 24 cards/set (91x24=2,184). However, the Mike Flanagan card I have is numbered 102-01. Does that mean the sets weren't sequentially numbered? I've also seen reference to set 103 being the final one.

Also, could you check to see if you have any other Orioles variations in your set not listed below

Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:35 PM
John

The series are numbered 1-88 and 101-103 for the total of 91 series at 24 cards each

Old 02-02-2020, 12:06 AM
John

Quote:
Congrats on the complete set. Maybe you can help with a couple questions.

I've seen several references to the set being complete at 91 sets (2,184 cards).

That makes sense with 24 cards/set (91x24=2,184). However, the Mike Flanagan card I have is numbered 102-01. Does that mean the sets weren't sequentially numbered? I've also seen reference to set 103 being the final one.

Also, could you check to see if you have any other Orioles variations in your set not listed below

Thanks in advance for any information.
I will check my O's cards when I get a chance

Old 02-02-2020, 01:23 AM
John

Having some RLS issues (Restless Leg Syndrome) so net surfing in bed...here is one of my displays of odds and ends O's stuff...the Robinson boys 1969 Transograms...some 1956 Topps pins of Triandos, Miranda and Smith...the 1957 Swift Meats Triandos, both on card and assembled...the 1955 Robert Gould Joe Coleman, card and figure...1957 Paul Richards Finger Tip Movie...and a couple of 1950's scorebooks...that Food Fair scorebook gets my vote for worst Oriole bird ever

This thread has been fun to review and has helped me reconnect with items in my collection that I have neglected to enjoy for far too long...thanks for starting this

John

Old 02-02-2020, 01:39 AM
John

What do Suzy Q's, Cupcakes, Ho Ho's and King Dons have in common? (No political jokes please) Okay,, one answer could be the beginnings of juvenille diabetes...but the answer I was looking for was Hostess baseball cards...and boxes with Orioles shown...like these

Old 02-02-2020, 04:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Orioles Bird

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy) Today Clint has an early Oriole bird patch that was on the sleeve of a game used jersey.

Personally one of my favorite on-sleeve patches!

Orioles sleeve patch 3.jpg
Old 02-02-2020, 04:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 33 (February 2, 2020 – 033)

Today seems like it’d be a good day for a B. Robinson bat. This is an Adirondack 302 model (1968-1971) 277A, weighs 32.5 ounces and has a flared knob. Brooks used both H&B and Adirondack during his career; as you can see this is a block letter type Adirondack.

Day 33 a Forum Bat.jpg
Day 33 b Forum Bat close up.jpg
Old 02-02-2020, 06:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Having some RLS issues (Restless Leg Syndrome) so net surfing in bed...here is one of my displays of odds and ends O's stuff...the Robinson boys 1969 Transograms...some 1956 Topps pins of Triandos, Miranda and Smith...the 1957 Swift Meats Triandos, both on card and assembled...the 1955 Robert Gould Joe Coleman, card and figure...1957 Paul Richards Finger Tip Movie...and a couple of 1950's scorebooks...that Food Fair scorebook gets my vote for worst Oriole bird ever

This thread has been fun to review and has helped me reconnect with items in my collection that I have neglected to enjoy for far too long...thanks for starting this

John
John,

Sure hope you are up and around soon.

Some awesome pieces shown. It’s pictures like this that definitely sway me from my relatively narrow focus to expand to all these other great Oriole players. My only issue really is expendable income; just don’t have enough for it all. I’ve never seen the Food Fair scorebook. When (hopefully soon) you get around could you please take an individual shot of the scorebook? I don’t know what your talking about that’s a great looking Oriole bird

Like the full boxes of all the snack food. I know I had my share of the various snacks when I was young. Of course I still sneak a few of those still...
Old 02-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Hal T.

Great Brooks gamer Mark!

Here's a 1964 Boog GU bat with cleat marks, ball marks, bat rack streaking and a light coat of pine tar. The knob has the O16 model number and a faded 26.

35'', 34.9 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3691.jpg (74.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3692.jpg (72.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3693.jpg (72.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3701.jpg (67.7 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-02-2020, 11:13 AM
John

Quote:
John,

Sure hope you are up and around soon.

Some awesome pieces shown. It’s pictures like this that definitely sway me from my relatively narrow focus to expand to all these other great Oriole players. My only issue really is expendable income; just don’t have enough for it all. I’ve never seen the Food Fair scorebook. When (hopefully soon) you get around could you please take an individual shot of the scorebook? I don’t know what your talking about that’s a great looking Oriole bird

Like the full boxes of all the snack food. I know I had my share of the various snacks when I was young. Of course I still sneak a few of those still...
RLS is just fancy medical language for "twitchy legs"...happens occasionally at night and is really no big deal...can make it uncomfortable trying to sleep sometimes

Here is the close up of the 1954 Food Fair Orioles scorebook you requested...front and back...it is 5.5" x 2.5"

John

Old 02-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1954-55 Zipcards

Here's a set that shows up once in awhile, but no one seems to know much about. The Zipcards sets from 1954-55 have long been debated whether they are actually from that era or printed later. I know I've had my set 35+ years. They come in two sizes (smaller 2" x 2 1/2" and larger 2 3/4" x 3 1/2") and are crude photos, especially the smaller ones. Even old time Orioles collectors from the Baltimore area don't have much information about manufacturer, distribution or reason for different sizes. The sets appear to be complete at 12 cards in 1954 and 13 cards in 1955, even though after the first 10 cards in each set, the cards are skip numbered. I've never seen any other cards offered beyond the 25 pictured. Over the years, I seen a wide range of prices on sets and individual cards. I remember a set in auction years ago that went for around $5000. I don't think the set comes close to approaching that figure today, but an interesting mystery that someone might be able to solve.

1954 Zipcards

1954 Zipcards #1.JPG

1954 Zipcards #2.jpg

1955 Zipcards

1955 Zipcards #1.jpg

1955 Zipcards #2.jpg
Old 02-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:

John

John,

Nice post with some cool items. I have all the items, except the Transogram boxes. I had all the Orioles as a kid, but unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to save the boxes, but still have the cards I cut out. You are the only other person I've seen with the Food Fair scorebook. Unusual programs and scorecards are one of my hobby hot buttons.

Even if some of the posts are items I don't personally collect, I'm also enjoying seeing the variety of Orioles items in everyone's collections.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:26 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Great Brooks gamer Mark!

Here's a 1964 Boog GU bat with cleat marks, ball marks, bat rack streaking and a light coat of pine tar. The knob has the O16 model number and a faded 26.

35'', 34.9 oz.
Hal,

That Boog bat has it all! Really like this early Boog example.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
RLS is just fancy medical language for "twitchy legs"...happens occasionally at night and is really no big deal...can make it uncomfortable trying to sleep sometimes

Here is the close up of the 1954 Food Fair Orioles scorebook you requested...front and back...it is 5.5" x 2.5"John
Thanks for the close up pic. That just reminds me of the old Mad Magazine Spy vs. Spy drawing. It's so bad it MAY be good...
Old 02-02-2020, 03:33 PM
M@rk Comer

[QUOTE=BaltOrioles;1952246]Here's a set that shows up once in awhile, but no one seems to know much about. The Zipcards sets from 1954-55 have long been debated whether they are actually from that era or printed later. I know I've had my set 35+ years. They come in two sizes (smaller 2" x 2 1/2" and larger 2 3/4" x 3 1/2") and are crude photos, especially the smaller ones. Even old time Orioles collectors from the Baltimore area don't have much information about manufacturer, distribution or reason for different sizes. The sets appear to be complete at 12 cards in 1954 and 13 cards in 1955, even though after the first 10 cards in each set, the cards are skip numbered. I've never seen any other cards offered beyond the 25 pictured. Over the years, I seen a wide range of prices on sets and individual cards. I remember a set in auction years ago that went for around $5000. I don't think the set comes close to approaching that figure today, but an interesting mystery that someone might be able to solve.

Those are really nice; thanks so much for posting these rare Oriole items.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:57 AM
M@rk Comer

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy) Orioles compact (powder box).

Orioles Compact 1.jpg

I have an example of the compact in my collection as well.

Orioles Compact 2.jpg
Orioles Compact 3.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 02-03-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 34 (February 3, 2020 – 034)

I’m a pushover for snapshot photos; B&W, color it doesn’t matter (even if you can’t see him that well). Here’s a pretty good snapshot of Brooks in his old school trophy room (man; he’s even got a TV). The picture is mounted on one of those pages where the photo sticks to it like glue. I tried to get one of the other pictures off of the page and, of course, ruined it. So, this picture is on there for now unless someone has a tip for conducting this process. I thought about splitting the page between the front and back, but didn’t want to destroy the thing.

Day 34 a.jpg

Bob (commishbob) – please keep the dig going for the Orioles spring training snapshots; I’ll purchase them this time…
Old 02-03-2020, 05:12 AM

Default MS Postcard

Commemorative Sports Prints.Inc Ridgewood, Md.
Not sure where I picked this up along the way. Nice shot Of Memorial Stadium on a beautiful day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooks Memorial S.jpg (58.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Day 34 (February 3, 2020 – 034)

I’m a pushover for snapshot photos; B&W, color it doesn’t matter (even if you can’t see him that well). Here’s a pretty good snapshot of Brooks in his old school trophy room (man; he’s even got a TV). The picture is mounted on one of those pages where the photo sticks to it like glue. I tried to get one of the other pictures off of the page and, of course, ruined it. So, this picture is on there for now unless someone has a tip for conducting this process. I thought about splitting the page between the front and back, but didn’t want to destroy the thing.

Attachment 384005

Bob (commishbob) – please keep the dig going for the Orioles spring training snapshots; I’ll purchase them this time…
Great photo Mark ! Try using a hairdryer on the back of the photo. It may loosen the glue and let you remove the photo from the sticky backing. Be careful !
Old 02-03-2020, 06:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Great photo Mark ! Try using a hairdryer on the back of the photo. It may loosen the glue and let you remove the photo from the sticky backing. Be careful !
There are snapshot photos on both sides of the album page.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
There are snapshot photos on both sides of the album page.

This is a score sheet from the minor league orioles in 1935

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2020, 08:53 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1956 Hocus Focus

Here' s an Orioles card I'm glad I picked up many years ago. It's the 1956 Hocus Focus of Hal Smith. For those unfamiliar with the set, they are small cards (1" x 1.5") that you could develop yourself as the wrapper demonstrates.
Hal Smith was the only Orioles of the 18 baseball subjects. Smith was also in the 1955 set that contained 23 baseball players. The only difference I know of is that Smith is #17 in 1955 and #15 in the 1956 set.

Here's a scan of the 1956 card along with the wrapper (not mine)

1956 Topps Hocus Focus.jpg 151718Pack19659.jpg
Old 02-03-2020, 09:33 AM
Clint

Great card Alan!