NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Bill Gregory

Sure it does. Gambling is defined by the act itself, not the possible financial implication of the outcome. Suggesting otherwise is reckless, in my humble opinion.

If a billionaire goes to the Luxor in Las Vegas, and puts down a $1 million chip on black at the roulette table, regardless of the outcome, or how he tolerates any potential loss, he's gambled. He may have risked a very small portion of his net worth, but he's gambled, nonetheless.

As I said before, I've got no problem with the guy doing whatever he wants with his money. To each their own. If he wants to rent a limo, and blow $100k on hookers at the Bunny Ranch, God Bless America! But that's not how he framed this whole discussion. He came here espousing an extremely risky investment strategy, and gently chided those who are going to, or have already "missed the move."

"Give me the liquidity, give me the commodities, give me the transparency."

First of all, in this hobby, I find there is a shocking lack of transparency. If there is any, at all, it is because hobbyists, like the fine folks here on Net 54, are fed up with the rampant criminality that has become all too commonplace. Unlike commodity trading, there is no inherent transparency within the hobby. There is no regulatory body in baseball cards; no oversight. One of the third party grading companies began its existence by facilitating a gross misrepresentation of a Wagner T206's quality. Major auction houses have been complicit in criminal behavior warranting FBI investigation, and federal prosecution (cough Mastro cough); and, you've got rampant shill bidding on Ebay. Oh yeah, and you've got a criminal mastermind somewhere in Mexico flaunting their ability to create high-value graded cards out of thin air. This is the environment in which I'm going to risk hundreds of thousands of dollars? Discretionary income, or not, to bank on the continued upward trend in pricing, which day and night is being responded to here with utter disbelief, is displaying questionable logic.

"Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results." Especially when the system is being gamed against the individual investor. Even the most principled auction houses, through no fault of their own, and even after employing the strictest guidelines, and independent transparency--they get caught in the muck. We've seen highly-visible persons on our own board, people who work their tails off to make this hobby as safe as is humanly possible, caught up in the middle of dealings with stolen goods. If a man with that level of hobby sophistication, with this incredible tool at his finger tips, can get blindsided, what chance does an honest investor truly have?

I may no longer be able to work, but when I became a broker, I vowed to be held to a higher level, ethically, in my business dealings. I had a fiduciary responsibility to my clients, and though I'm no longer actively associated with a broker-dealer, I still take that responsibility very seriously. I cannot sit idly bye while I see risky investment advice, even in the guise of a "friendly suggestion", being dolled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
His second post was phrased nicer, but he is right either way. $300k (since we're using that number) is a lot of money to a lot of people on this board, but that doesn't mean that it can't represent a small and reasonable percentage of someone's net worth to be invested. High end sports cards have been a good investment in recent history. Calling it gambling just because the number is big doesn't make any sense.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-08-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo--as safe as "in" humanly possible.