View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
My first question is how can a UPS store be someone's confirmed address by paypal?? Next how can a UPS store owner allow someone to pickup an express mail package insured for $5000. without obtaining a signature??
Dan,

Regarding your first question: My PayPal address is the address I use at my UPS store to receive packages. My guess is that it's not that unusual. I think by "confirmed address" PayPal wants an address at which items can be delivered (and not necessarily the account owner's residential address). I did not always have my UPS store address as my PayPal address, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't tough to switch. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, just that it's not an indication that someone's trying to pull a fast one.

Regarding your second question, I've never had to sign for a package that I've picked up at my UPS store address. The UPS store signs for it on delivery, and all of the employees there know me, and they give me my packages. I've asked other people who have UPS mailboxes, and this seems to be standard operating procedure. I don't agree that it's a good policy, because the store has no protection if a week after I pick up a package I go back to them and say I didn't get it. There are some weeks where I might pick up 7-10 packages, and they're not keeping track of any of them. I would much rather they keep a log to protect both them and me. What happens if they sign for a package, and it gets misplaced? I have no proof that I didn't pick it up.

So though I don't think it's a good system, I also don't think it's automatically a red flag that some kind of fraud has taken place.