NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Mark Fox

Default T205 uncommon/rare cards, disregarding backs and variations

As I have started the journey of collecting to complete the T205 set, I'm curious if anyone has some insight as to which cards in the set might be considered uncommon or rare. This would be disregarding different back issues and variations such as E.B. Barger full B or partial B, R. Hoblitzell variations, etc.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Mark,

Absent of the back issues and variations, the most difficult in my opinion to obtain is the Wilhelm, followed by Addie Joss.

Good luck on your journey.

r/
Frank
Old 05-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I would have to disagree with Frank a bit.
My list (and this is mine only, although I have tracked this set for a long time) of straight card rarity minus the variations...

Joss
Wilhelm (just looking at the "front")

After those two...it sort of becomes an interchangeable list for me. Any one of these could be "rarest" at the time. Often new finds or hordes of cards come to the market (i.e. about ten years ago, Rowan was extremely tough but a long time Phillie collector let go of 6 of them). I am sure others can chime in as well.

Grant
Suggs
Rowan
Raymond
Sweeny
Donahue
Fisher
Turner
Vaughn
Wagner
Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Matt E.
Banned

Dahlen seems hard to find.

Thanks,

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
My list (and this is mine only, although I have tracked this set for a long time) of straight card rarity minus the variations...

Joss

After those two...it sort of becomes an interchangeable list for me. Any one of these could be "rarest" at the time. Often new finds or hordes of cards come to the market (i.e. about ten years ago, Rowan was extremely tough but a long time Phillie collector let go of 6 of them). I am sure others can chime in as well.

Grant
Suggs
Rowan
Raymond
Sweeny
Donahue
Fisher
Turner
Vaughn
Wagner
Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Zach

Joss seems to be coming out of the woodwork lately. There are currently a few of them for sale on ebay then three others that sold in the last 30 days. It seems to be becoming less scarce.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Dahlen is tough...I agree...I knew I forgot a few...Scanlan too...

Several Joss have sold in the last six month (I suspect because one sold very strong last year and others decided now was the time to sell and 1 of them sold twice!) but it is still one of the toughest in the set. Like I said...that list often changes.

Joshua
Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

I typically don't agree completely with pop reports, because of all the resubmissions, but according to the SGC Pop Report, the Wilhelm has fewer graded. You can take what you want from that, but it does provide a little information when you start looking for certain cards.

I haven't been tracking T205's nearly as long as Joshua, but I know when I started my set about 5 years ago, the Wilhelm was tougher to come by.

I would also throw Jimmy Collins and Dolly Gray in the mix along with the Dahlen.

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-06-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post

Joss

Grant
Suggs
Rowan
Raymond
Sweeny
Donahue
Fisher
Turner
Vaughn
Wagner
Josh is correct on those as well as Dahlen. These cards are only found with 3 known backs. Yes backs aside is impossible when asking this question since it determines the quantity provided to the public. Piedmont being the most plentiful, Hassan is next, and Cycle is the hardest.
These are the true SP's of the t205 set. There are some that will argue but the numbers don't lie. Others like Rowan and Scanlan, for example, are found with factory 42 piedmont and PB and thus fall into the ABCD possibility. That would be AB, BL, cycle, and drum(probably not since he is a phillie). PB was the second largest run behind piedmont thus causing a larger quantity. Many collectors hoard cards (like Collins and gray for exp) causing the fasod of it being a sp when in fact there are many out there, just in collections. As time goes they come out of the woodwork when demand is high.

Last edited by Pup6913; 05-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Dave

One that I dont see pop up very often is Evers, I'm wondering if its just because hes a HOFer, anyone have any insight on that one
thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
One that I dont see pop up very often is Evers, I'm wondering if its just because hes a HOFer, anyone have any insight on that one
thanks
That one is also a difficult one, I think it was more limited print in 1911. The Ed Walsh card is another tough Hall Of Famer card too that was shorter printed.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Pup6913

Evers in higher grade is hard as are many T205's you collect Dave. Take into consideration also Cubs, HOF, Evers, and tinker evers chance collectors. I have 5-6 with AB, cycle, and pied 42 backs. They are always FS of you are looking for common grades A-4. Walsh is tough in higher grades but the lower less eye appealing cards are plentiful and FS more than you think. I have been breaking/dissecting the set down for months now trying to figure out stuff. Speculation/perception is what we have at this time. Josh, Frank, Ted Z, myself and several others have been working for yrs on the mystery. It's only been the past yr that this set has taken an interest with the hobby. As time goes more info will come about

Last edited by Pup6913; 05-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T205's galore

....... Jiggs Donohue is my favorite T205 .......

I've been working towards my 2nd set.....and, I always believe it's smart to get the tougher ones at the start. Then you can coast to the end. I acquired
these "toughies" this past year.
Anyhow, still need Dahlen, Joss, Raymond, Turner, Wagner. And, Andrew I think has a Dahlen for sale (or trade).

TED Z
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Default from my experience...

Tough SP’s:
Dahlen
Donohue
Fisher
Grant
Karger
Kleinow
Raymond
Rowan
Scanlan
Suggs
Sweeney
Turner
Vaughn
Wagner
Walsh
K. White
Wilhelm (might not be an actual SP, but very tough)

Tough HOF'ers:
Evers
Joss

Tough Minor Leaguer's:
J. Collins

Tough Commons:
Daubert

Check out this price for a PSA 5 Daubert: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1882wt_1160

Good luck with your set!

Last edited by asoriano; 05-07-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
John Hanssen

I don't think any of them are really hard to find in lower grades. Ever couple of months almost all cards show up.

I still need a few SPs, but I would have to agree that the hardest 3 are Wilhelm
Dahlen
Joss
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Tyler Cox

Default T205 SP's with P Fact 42

Andrew,
You mention Rowan and Scanlan as being found with Piedmont Factory 42 backs. Are there any other of the aforementioned SP's that are typically found with this back?

In your experience do SP's with the Piedmont Fact. 42 back carry any premium? Especially compared to the more common cards with said back?

I have this Hippo Vaughn (which I found to be one of the more difficult SP's) that I noticed has a Fact. 42 back.
Apologies for the scan, but I can assure you that the back is Fact. 42.

Photobucket

I also have a Kirb White with a Piedmont Fact. 42
Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Pup6913

Tyler 42's are not very common at all. Probably below BL and above AB's at this point. A Vaughn 42 is nice. I have a smokin PSA 5 white 42. If you have any interst in selling the Vaughn pm me please. I have almost completed my AB, cycle, and 42 list. Not many more in the 42's and AB to go.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
Tough SP’s:
Dahlen
Donohue
Fisher
Grant
Karger
Kleinow
Raymond
Rowan
Scanlan
Suggs
Sweeney
Turner
Vaughn
Wagner
Walsh
K. White
Wilhelm (might not be an actual SP, but very tough)

Tough HOF'ers:
Evers
Joss

Tough Minor Leaguer's:
J. Collins

Tough Commons:
Daubert

Good luck with your set!
Those are beautiful! Well done!