NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Default What an a$$hole !!

Posted By: DMcD

http://tinyurl.com/5dqt98

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

You got that right.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Powell was discussed a while back over on the memorabilia side when I purchased a Yankee photo lot that had a photo of him in it. Miserable person....

Ben Chapman was an a**hole too.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Two disgusting people for sure. Here's a site with some similar, but unrelated to vintage sports articles.

http://www.damninteresting.com/?cat=14

Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B D

did he come from Virginia by chance?

BcD

Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Broome

Chapman was born in Nashville but lived and died in Alabama. Powell spent a good deal of time in the South as well. Unfortunately, I have been looking for a Jake Powell autograph only because he was part of the 1931 Chattanooga Lookouts lineup.
I had read about Chapman's comments before but I did not realize Powell was such an @ss.
It doesn't surprise me, though. The South in the 1930s/40s was a tolerant place to live, if you were male and white.
It is interesting to note the Southern Association, which lasted from 1885 to 1961, never integrated. When the SA disbanded in 1961, The Sally League took over. Sally became the modern Southern League in 1964.

Andy

Edited to add marketing slogan: "Southern Association, nearly 100 years of racism."

Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The legacy of some Southerners with race issues is well known but don't forget the Ku Klux Klan was founded in Indiana, not the South, and many Black baseball players were denied service at restaurants, hotels and gas stations throughout the North also. Racism is unconscionable, counter-productive and hateful, but it isn't limited to one region or even one race.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Scared me, I thought my ex had found this website when I read the title.

Rawn

Old 07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Actually Bob, the KKK was founded in Pulaski, Tennessee just after the Civil war by a fellow named Nathan Bedford Forrest. It'd re-emergence in the 1920's was lead by a man from Indiana, D.C. Stephenson, who while sharing my last name, is thankfully no relation. But yes, I concur with the rest of what you wrote.

*I wrote my college thesis on the KKK.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Yes, Anthony, you are correct. Nathan Bedford Forrest started the KKK then dropped out because it became too violent. It re-emerged in Indiana and was a political force in that state as I recall from reading history books. Interestingly enough Shelby Foote, the noted Civil War historian once said the Civil War produced two geniuses, Abraham Lincoln and Nathan Bedford Forrest. Forrest was not only one of the bravest soldiers (he rose to the rank of general) in the Civil War but was an absolutely brilliant strategist, overshadowing Lee and Jackson, but never got the credit. He was constantly outnumbered by the blue bellies 3,4 and 5 to 1 but pulled off stunning victories in the Western theater of the War. One can only wonder how the War might have differed if it had been Forrest and not Lee as supreme commander. Marsh Robert was an awesome general but his blunders at Antietam and Gettysburg turned the tide of the War against the South. Had the South prevailed at Gettysburg, there was a chance that the War would have ended with a separated union as the anti-war movement was strong in the North and there was a chance either England or France would have joined the Confederate States as France had done with the Rebels in 1781.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I didn't get to read this article until I got home. I can't follow tinyurl from the office. 

When I read the article, I didn't think what an A$$hole, I thought what a lost sole.  I grew up in the Mountains of Tennessee in the 60s and 70s and Powells remarks were very similar to what I heard many times as a young man but they were not the remarks that stuck with me.  The values I held and still do were taught to me by my parents.  They didn't teach me to hate and they didn't teach me look down on others.  I never heard racial slurs from them and therefore I never used them.

The ironic thing is, I have a friend from Ohio.  He is a State Trooper and I can hear him saying those very words that Jake Powell spoke in 1937 and this is the 2008.  It's not a Southern thing and its not a 1930s or 1950s thing. It's a values and morals thing.

martyOgelvie
New York Yankee cards
Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

What I find really interesting here is that Landis- a true son of the south- punished him! He didn't let it go! He didn't quietly envy him for his night stick wielding powers..This is interesting so long before integration in the leagues..