NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Possible fake Lefty O'Doul autograph

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'd not bother with this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5170010813&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

O'Doul has a very distinct autograph I've been looking at for some time. IMHO this one is way too vertical and the interaction of the O and D are all wrong.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shellyjaffe

What bothers me about this autograph is there are no quote marks. All the signiture that I have show quote marks around the lefty.Unless it is there and I cant see it.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J.McMurry

Yeah the quotes are there, and I believe this seller to be a good guy, but I wouldnt buy it it simply for the terrible small scan. If you can't show me a close, clean scan of the signature, I'm not bidding. jmo.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

first let me say this,i know nothing about lefty o'doul autographs.i never looked at his signature. i would believe this to be 100% real for the following (dumb?)reasoning. good seller,tells his source.why fake an auto on a 3 x 5? why lefty o'doul?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I dont know about the autograph,Rhys Yeakley might know best since hes had at least 3 of them to my knowledge but to answer the last question,Lefty O'doul is a popular player,many feel should be in the hall of fame for his overall contribution.He also has refused to sign autographs for the last 35+ years.Put those 2 things together and you have a popular autograph

Old 02-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

He has also been dead for a considerable portion of those last 35 years.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I didnt say why he refused to sign,i just said he wont.Trust me you can stand in line all day,he wont even acknowledge you

Basically 35 years means hes not the easiest signature to find,and the fact hes a popular player makes it that much harder.I would still talk to Rhys before i bought one,which im really not planning on doing anyway(buy a Lefty auto. that is not talk to Rhys,ill talk to him whenever he wants)

Old 02-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

for all I know he/she is a great dealer. What I am saying is that O'Doul's signature is very distinctive and very consistent (he signed all the checks for his restaurant, BTW, so there are a good number of solid sigs out there and a check is probably the best way to get him) and this one doesn't look good as compared to known verifiable exemplars.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Since you guys were nice and eluded to the fact that I know O'Doul's signature pretty well, I have scanned what is a good progression of his signature.

The top autograph is an O'Doul signature signed about 1928 and as far as I know, is the earliest O'Doul signature signed "Lefty" known to exist. Notice the absence of quotation marks.

The bottom autograph was signed in the late 1960's very shortly before his death and is very consistant with other later signatures.

These (2) autographs look somewhat different but are clearly consistant for being signed 40 years apart. I do not want to venture a guess on the authenticity of the item in question, but I will say that the seller has bought several items from me in the past and seems like a very honest and reputable seller.

Rhyshttp://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1109534426.JPG

Old 03-01-2005, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

a Lefty O'Doul restaurant check couple days back. Know anything about these Rhys? Hopefully not secretarial sig.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53&item=5166712221&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Old 03-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I have never owned a check from his restaurant, but have seen many. Yours looks good and I would say it is 100% real. From my knowledge Lefty O'Doul never used a third party to autograph his name. I have never heard of a secretarial signed O'Doul document. I think you got agood buy.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Another O'Doul check up for a reasonable opening bid.....
Slightly off topic.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53&item=5199046985&rd=1