NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default Any advice for vintage beginners?

Posted By: Rob

I have a friend who wants to start collecting vintage items (pre-war). He saw my small collection of tobacco cards and he liked them. He's in his mid-teens and really doesn't know anything of sports so modern card issues don't interest him. He likes the way a card 'looks old and antiquish' and how portraits look like miniature paintings. Is there a way he can start without denting his pockets like a tobacco starter set or something? One idea I had given him was he could collect off-grade T-206 common portraits with red backgrounds. They look nice, the red stands out, and he could get one of them a month for about $20/per on average. I am also going to give him a copy of Mr.Mint's book on investing in collectibles (I would highlight the parts which seem most important - yeah, I know some of you like him and most of you hate him, but his book is how I got started into tobacco issues) so he can at least get a little knowledge of what he going into and what he's up against. Any suggestions?

Old 05-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob D

If as you say, he doesn't care for sports, why collect baseball cards? There are tons of non sport tobacco cards from the same era which would be quite a bit cheaper.

Old 05-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Administrator

He says he likes the way the baseball issues look.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Refer him to Ken Burn's Baseball documentary, have him watch the first few of the series(thru the 1930's). If it sparks his interest, starting out with some t206's, t202's, and t205's will get him going.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

you might want tos how him some Goudeys and Diamond Stars if he like the fact that they look like paintings. There also a lot of great non-sport issues that con be pursued quite cheaply.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

The red portraits seem like a good way to go...here's a great example that is at 5 bucks with 2 hours left. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5197289281&rd=1

Old 05-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Rob --

Just tell him to collect what he likes & enjoys & can afford. Tell him not to worry about the stuff in auction catalogs quite yet.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Thanx. That's why I suggested to him to start with 'red portraits'. They can be beat up (not FUBAR'd), inexpensive, and I think the red background gives it eye-appeal.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

I started with the portraits of cobb, young, johnson, mathewson all in PSA 4 or better, thinking the same thing, that they looked nice, cool and better than the other variations....then went to the less expensive portraits, I now own all 4 cobbs, 2 youngs, both johnsons, 2 mathewson's and about 25 more "batting", "throwing", "catching", "hands over head", etc., etc., etc., than I have portraits. Its very addicting and freakin' fun at the same time. I have to limit myself to about 100 per year or I'll go broke!
pete-

Old 05-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I would recommend collecting non-sports cards: actors, etc. A lot cheaper.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Pete: it IS fun; because of the huge-ass number of cards in the set you can collect any which way. I just bought him a graded Elberfeld NY portrait, a $12 raw T206 common, and a book - Mr.Mint's Guide to Investing in Baseball Cards and Collectibles (don't hate me, because I enjoyed reading that book and it's what kicked my common sense into collecting tobacco issues) - to get him started so he can see what it's all about. The kid is a good chessplayer so I figured he'll get it right within the first few tries.

David: I might just suggest that to him, thanx! I'll probably give him a victorian sewing tradecard (it has horses on it) for him to get a 'feel' of an item that is older than any living human, present day.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

run away from anything not by SGC-GAI-PSA (and maybe BVG). Especially run far and hard away from anything PRO graded.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Good point! I will reiterate that to him!