NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default REA Shipping Issues

Posted By: Aaron M.

I saw that there was a thread last week with some complaining (rightfully so) that they had been charged exorbitant shipping costs for their winning lots in last month's Robert Edward Auction.

While I also felt that I'd been overcharged ($70 for 2 programs and 1 small pinback for about $5,000 in winning bids), I neither participated in the thread nor contacted Rob to voice my complaints. I basically felt that if my items shipped quickly, then I wasn't bothered by the shipping charge (plus all my dealings with Rob in the past have been extremely favorable, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt).

Sure enough, Fed Ex delivered my package exactly one week after I mailed a personal check (so I got my quick ship). What I didn't expect to find, and at first didn't even notice is that Rob took the time to a check for $40 and an apology letter stating that some bidders had been inadvertently overcharged for shipping.

To me this once again shows that Rob Lifson is in a class by himself in terms of both his ability to "do the right thing," but also the ability to think outside the box and go the extra mile when it comes to solving problems. He was never going to hear from me about the shipping charges, and he could have kept my money with no negative impact on my eagerness to participate in his auctions in the future, yet he rectified the situation anyway. That's the kind of guy he is.

On a related note, I think the results from his auction affirmatively answered the question of whether or not REA's realized prices could match or exceed Mastro's. Now, if he can bump up to two or three auctions a year and increase his lot volume (without suffering in quality), I think REA surpasses Mastro as the premiere auction house in the business within a year.

This is one of the reasons why.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I got a check in the mail for over half of my shipping charges too. A very nice gesture that I didn't ask for....regards

Old 05-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Yankeefan51

I have been an active collector rare baseball items for more than 25 years.

Accordingly, I have worked with every major dealer, and many legendary
collectosr, many of whom are now deceased.

I bought my first Four Base Hit from Rob when he was only 18 years
old.

He has always been the most knowledgable person in the hobby.
While some may think him aggressive in his style or for his determination,
Rob suceeded where so many others have floundered because he
puts the interests of the customer first.

He commands extraordinary prices because of his intimate knowledge
of obscure pieces, and he gets great material because he knows
where the best stuff is burried. His auctions may not be the largest,
and he does consolidate lots, but an overall basis, I am pleased
with the experiences that I have. In fact, there has never been a time when
I purchased an item from Rob (either directly or in his auctions) that I lost a single
dime on it if I later chose to sell said item.

He is not only a brilliant business person and Ivy League graduate but
he is an astute student of our hobby and baseball history.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anonymoushunterdude

I called Rob to say my check was a touch late, but on the way.

We chatted at length about the lots i won and he offered up some info i did not know.

In the end, he not only told me to take more time if i needed, he offered to reduce my shipping to what I believe is less than what it's gonna cost him..
he refused to take a little bit more when i said "that's enough..you sure?"

I'll not forget this gesture in my future support of REA.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I just have to ask:

Amidst all the accolades did any of you recipients of refund checks stop to wonder why it was that you got hosed in the first place?

As a professional cynic and amateur conspiracy theorist, I find it rather interesting that we bitch and whine here and presto, an accounting mistake in your favor is discovered (just like in Monopoly). Sounds less like fixing errors and more like damage control. As the old saying goes, it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Just my $0.02 on the situation; don't take it personally.