NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2023, 01:51 PM
Scott

Default Tobacco Cards, and Printing Quality Comparisons

I'm fairly new to the forum, and quite new to older cards, having done most of my collecting from opening packs as a child in the late 80s and early 90s. I'm enjoying getting back into the hobby in my middle age, and have started to become quite interested in some of the older tobacco cards. I'm currently very interested in the T202 cards, and it seems like in terms of getting some of the bigger HOFers in these early sets, there are still some great bargains with T202.

So onto the specific question at hand, I'm curious if anyone can share some info on the way these different sets were actually printed, and how printing quality may differ from set to set. For example, I'm really in love with the T205 Christy Mathewson photo. I notice the same (or similar photo) can be had in one of the T202 triple folders, for a fraction of the price. Would that card be of comparable quality? In some ways I find the T202 even more interesting, so would love an excuse to pick one up.

If there are other threads or resources already on the forum to answer these questions, my apologies for the redundancy, and if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!
Old 08-10-2023, 02:34 PM
James M

here is a nice quick overview of the T202s

https://prewarcards.com/2016/10/03/1...and-checklist/

there are people who collect just the panels, but I would never detach a panel from the actual full card itself.

the cool mystery is why Smoky Joe Wood and Walt Blair have T202 panels but they did not appear in the T205 set.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:22 AM
Scott

Thanks James! I'm curious if you had the T202 panel and the matching T205 side-by-side, would they be of comparable print quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
here is a nice quick overview of the T202s

https://prewarcards.com/2016/10/03/1...and-checklist/

there are people who collect just the panels, but I would never detach a panel from the actual full card itself.

the cool mystery is why Smoky Joe Wood and Walt Blair have T202 panels but they did not appear in the T205 set.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:57 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScoot View Post
Thanks James! I'm curious if you had the T202 panel and the matching T205 side-by-side, would they be of comparable print quality?
Yes; they were done by American Lithogrpahic or its partners reusing the artwork. The T202’s are slightly shorter than a T205 (and thus some of the design elements are recropped or removed) but excepting this, it’s the same quality of lithography.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Scott

Great info, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Yes; they were done by American Lithogrpahic or its partners reusing the artwork. The T202’s are slightly shorter than a T205 (and thus some of the design elements are recropped or removed) but excepting this, it’s the same quality of lithography.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:11 AM
Scott

Getting some great info here! Let's say I wanted to pick up a card from one of the big 5, needs to be from their playing years, leaning towards tobacco cards. Ruth, Cobb, Wagner are pretty much out of my budget. Let's say I could pick up a T202 with either Matty or Johnson for under $1,000 (hopefully well under). Looks like there's some options up on eBay now. Would you recommend one over the other, or should I save for the T205 instead? Not that I plan to flip, but which would be the better investment?

Appreciate the input!
Old 08-11-2023, 10:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you want to look at some great T prints, take a look at the Obak sets. The manufacturer used a more intricate process and the resulting cards have a richness of image that is superior to the other sets. Here is a good example, a T206 Collins (my favorite T206) and a T212 Obak

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-11-2023, 10:24 AM
Scott

That's phenomenal, thanks for sharing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
If you want to look at some great T prints, take a look at the Obak sets. The manufacturer used a more intricate process and the resulting cards have a richness of image that is superior to the other sets. Here is a good example, a T206 Collins (my favorite T206) and a T212 Obak

Old 08-11-2023, 11:33 AM

Probably going to be split opinions on this, and it's a legit split.

The single-player card will always have higher demand, just generally, and T205s do have a good following. That said, there might be some room for growth in T202s, but I think of that as more that they haven't caught up to the two most mainstream sets.* Short-run vs long-run, acute vs chronic...

* - Past results are not indicative of future results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScoot View Post
Getting some great info here! Let's say I wanted to pick up a card from one of the big 5, needs to be from their playing years, leaning towards tobacco cards. Ruth, Cobb, Wagner are pretty much out of my budget. Let's say I could pick up a T202 with either Matty or Johnson for under $1,000 (hopefully well under). Looks like there's some options up on eBay now. Would you recommend one over the other, or should I save for the T205 instead? Not that I plan to flip, but which would be the better investment?

Appreciate the input!
Old 08-11-2023, 12:06 PM
James M

T202s are also a bit more awkward to display (I have a workaround for it), but they are cool cards for sure.

T205s are more readily available, and if you ever need to sell it, they have a stronger market in general, but if that isn't your concern, then go with what you like.

The T202s that interest me the most are the ones with multiple HOFs on the card

Eddie Collins/Home Run Baker
McGaw/Jennings
Bresnahan/McGraw
Chance/Evers
Cobb/Jennings

etc etc
Old 08-12-2023, 06:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'd like to get the T202 with the Cobb sliding middle panel. Only T card with that classic photo on it.

In general, they are great cards but they are awkward to store and some of the combos are really random. Some are fantastic, too. This was the first one I ever got, at the 1991 Anaheim National in a trade.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-12-2023, 07:19 AM
Scott

I'm especially interested in the one with Mathewson and McGraw, knowing how much history those two shared both on and off the field.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:54 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The biggest reason for the price differential, IMO, is that the T205 is a "standard-sized" card that can go in the standard PSA slab. The 202 has to go in a tallboy holder, and the mainstream collectors don't want to store them.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The biggest reason for the price differential, IMO, is that the T205 is a "standard-sized" card that can go in the standard PSA slab. The 202 has to go in a tallboy holder, and the mainstream collectors don't want to store them.
Big vs small. Easier to collect cards than cars.