NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2022, 02:13 PM
Bob C.

Default Question for set collectors.

Been working on a number of sets for years, including the 1927 W560 set. For a while now have only needed a card of Jimmy Foxx to complete my basic player set. However, I actually have two different uncut sheets of the W560 cards, both of them with a Foxx card as part of the uncut sheet.

Do any of you other set collectors out there consider that as a complete set then, or since I typically put my cards in binders, would you want an individual Foxx card that is not part of an uncut sheet to consider the set you have as complete?

Never really thought about it before. Am curious to hear what others think. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:22 PM
James M

I would consider an uncut sheet as its own unique item. Once the cards are separated, then they are each individual items (handcut items)
Old 08-19-2022, 02:43 PM

Default Cooler Heads Prevailed :

... For years I've resisted the idiotic temptation to take this to a nearby printers' shop and have them cut it perfectly in order to hold in my hand that fabulous sheet-fresh Buddy Rosar , but guys on here keep talking me out of it.

.. '..

,.don't cut it. IMO

Old 08-19-2022, 02:59 PM

My thought on uncut panels and sheets is...if they made it this far without being sliced up, they deserve to remain so.

Unfortunately as a set collector that would mean seeking out a Foxx some kid tore/scissored out 90 years ago. Such is the collecting life.

Brian
Old 08-19-2022, 02:59 PM
Bob Andrews

Not a chance in hell I'd cut up the sheet, even for the Foxx to finish the binder set. Now, whether or not you can say the set is 'finished'... I'd consider it 'complete' but I can see the argument the other way. Interesting question, and I'm interested in what others have to say.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:13 PM
Bob C.

Thanks for the responses so far.

And just so you guys know, I have absolutely no inclination or intention to cut the complete sheets up just to get a single card of Foxx to put in my set binder. I long ago came up with the idea of making colored copies of graded cards I acquired to then put into binders with the rest of the cards in my sets. And I don't have any problem doing the same with this W560 card of Foxx.

My question to all of you is, can I go ahead and check off the Foxx card from my check/want list for this set after all then, since I technically do have the card, just in an uncut sheet form. Or should I continue keeping an eye out for, and eventually acquire a single Foxx card by itself, before truly considering that I've completed my W560 set?
Old 08-19-2022, 03:20 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Not a chance in hell I'd cut up the sheet, even for the Foxx to finish the binder set. Now, whether or not you can say the set is 'finished'... I'd consider it 'complete' but I can see the argument the other way. Interesting question, and I'm interested in what others have to say.

Thanks Bob,

You see my dilemma. LOL For whatever reason, I just can't imagine the set as complete in my own mind without having a separate, single Foxx card as well. That is why I thought I'd ask and see what opinions others had. Hopefully more people will weigh in.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Being unfamiliar with the set, were 'all' of these cards hand cut? Or were they issued as individual cards? Either way, your set is complete. It will just be a bit of an annoyance in the back of your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Being unfamiliar with the set, were 'all' of these cards hand cut? Or were they issued as individual cards? Either way, your set is complete. It will just be a bit of an annoyance in the back of your mind.
Hey Darren,

This is a multi-subject strip card set that includes actors and other sports athletes in it, not just baseball players. They were printed and distributed in sheets, and have a playing card theme to them, so they were intended to be cut out so they could literally be treated as a deck of cards. Jimmy Foxx's card was one of the jokers in the set/deck. So yes, all single cards out there are hand cut.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My personal opinion is you can count an individual card by having the sheet. Heck, you have it in original form...to me it's a card which comes on a sheet of cards.

That all said, I am not a set collector so, I will defer to those that do collect them for some kind of unofficial ruling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w560b.jpg (187.8 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by Leon; 08-19-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:37 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hey Darren,

This is a multi-subject strip card set that includes actors and other sports athletes in it, not just baseball players. They were printed and distributed in sheets, and have a playing card theme to them, so they were intended to be cut out so they could literally be treated as a deck of cards. Jimmy Foxx's card was one of the jokers in the set/deck. So yes, all single cards out there are hand cut.
I agree that you had the complete set either way, but this makes it a slam dunk IMHO.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 08-19-2022, 05:16 PM
Jay Shumsky

I vote complete. I have something similar with my 1951 Berk Ross set. I have all the baseball players as individual cards except for a 2-card panel of Joe DiMaggio and Granny Hamner. I have the Hamner as a separate card as well, but the panel is the only DiMaggio I have, but I consider my set to be complete.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:42 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default You are DONE

Your set is complete….. your Foxx card just has gigantic margins!!!!
Old 08-19-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
My thought on uncut panels and sheets is...if they made it this far without being sliced up, they deserve to remain so.

Unfortunately as a set collector that would mean seeking out a Foxx some kid tore/scissored out 90 years ago. Such is the collecting life.

Brian

I stand by my official "I'm a set collector" ruling...time to go and find an individual W560 Foxx. I feel like you would always be annoyed (like I would) that you don't have that card separately.

Brian
Old 08-19-2022, 05:54 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I vote complete, you just need a Big Ol' Penny Sleeve...

I'd still be on the lookout for a single though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-19-2022, 06:34 PM

IMHO, as someone who has collected for 65 years, one of the joys of card collecting is that there are no rules. Each of us makes our own definitions for what we collect, whether it be what constitutes "completion," what we consider a "rookie" card, whether to pursue variations and printing anomalies as well as how to differentiate those two often overlapping distinctions, etc. We also decide what condition satisfies us and whether to collect raw, graded or a mixture of the two. The only reservation I would offer is that if you go to sell your W560 set, you would have to include your uncut sheet to advertise it as "complete."
b0b rich@rds0n
Old 08-19-2022, 09:09 PM
George E.

I'd consider it complete, for sure.

But I'd also grab the next individual Foxx card I could and finish out the binder set.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:41 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

For a set of cards that are all hand cut to begin with, I would have cut up that sheet myself the day it arrived. Bada-bing, bada-boom. Set complete. My OCD would drive me nuts having it sitting separately in a sheet while all the other cards are sitting in the binder. The term "trimmed" holds zero weight, in my eyes, for a card that was intended to be just that.

Go find yourself a pair of scissors!

...here come the hobby police...
Old 08-20-2022, 04:55 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I agree with this solution. I have had a "set" with one of the cards being in an uncut sheet but every time I would look at that "set" the hole created by not having the one card really bothered me so I went ahead and found the card and then considered my set complete. However, there is no right answer just personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I stand by my official "I'm a set collector" ruling...time to go and find an individual W560 Foxx. I feel like you would always be annoyed (like I would) that you don't have that card separately.

Brian
Old 08-20-2022, 08:39 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Hey Bob,
Great topic, awesome post!

I have long collected the strip cards and have an affinity for the uncut strips, sheets, etc.

My collecting of these has gone a couple different ways. First, I put together the W515-2 set, all 60 individual cards. Then I found a really neat 3 card uncut strip in great condition. For some reason, I sold off the three individual ones. Later, I acquired a different 5 card uncut strip and again sold off the individual ones. That is how my ‘set’ currently stands. I still have all 60 cards, but not all are individual examples. BTW: I cherish those uncut strips the most, and always cringe when I read about people cutting them up, but to each there own.

Similarly, I put together the W513 set, all individual examples (baseball players only) But then, I acquired a full 25 card uncut sheet, which is half the set in uncut form. It was so much cooler than the individuals, I sold off all the individuals in the whole set and vowed to find the other 25 card uncut sheet to complete the entire set. It took 6 years, but I did find the other uncut sheet eventually.

In the end, its up to each individual collector. I’m guessing you will acquire the individual Foxx some day, and then you have the best of both worlds....Good Luck to ya Bob and Happy Collecting All!

Colton

P.S. - I will try to post some scans of the W515-2s soon. I struggle to upload pics here, but if I can figure that out, I will post the W513s as well
Old 08-20-2022, 01:45 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

This topic reminds me of perforated cards too. I have a perforated vintage soccer sticker that I bought that had some residual paper attached to the top of it from when someone tried to tear it out from the page. The moment it arrived, I cracked it out from the case and tore off the excess paper. My OCD-induced anxiety was immediately relieved.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:43 PM
Bob C.

Thanks everyone for the comments and input.

I'll go ahead and consider the set complete, but will still keep an eye out for a single card version of Foxx as well. As some had mentioned, not having that last card in single card form, like the rest of the set, will probably bug me. LOL
Old 08-21-2022, 03:45 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
Hey Bob,
Great topic, awesome post!

I have long collected the strip cards and have an affinity for the uncut strips, sheets, etc.

My collecting of these has gone a couple different ways. First, I put together the W515-2 set, all 60 individual cards. Then I found a really neat 3 card uncut strip in great condition. For some reason, I sold off the three individual ones. Later, I acquired a different 5 card uncut strip and again sold off the individual ones. That is how my ‘set’ currently stands. I still have all 60 cards, but not all are individual examples. BTW: I cherish those uncut strips the most, and always cringe when I read about people cutting them up, but to each there own.

Similarly, I put together the W513 set, all individual examples (baseball players only) But then, I acquired a full 25 card uncut sheet, which is half the set in uncut form. It was so much cooler than the individuals, I sold off all the individuals in the whole set and vowed to find the other 25 card uncut sheet to complete the entire set. It took 6 years, but I did find the other uncut sheet eventually.

In the end, its up to each individual collector. I’m guessing you will acquire the individual Foxx some day, and then you have the best of both worlds....Good Luck to ya Bob and Happy Collecting All!

Colton

P.S. - I will try to post some scans of the W515-2s soon. I struggle to upload pics here, but if I can figure that out, I will post the W513s as well
Yes, please post pics when you have a chance.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:09 PM
Eric Perry

I’m late to the party here; however, here’s my opinion.

If the set didn’t quite feel “complete” enough and you decided to start this thread, then you haven’t finished building your set.

Get the single. You’ll be glad you did.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-22-2022, 02:00 PM
John Donovan

I had a similar dilema with my w517 binder set (all cards originally came in three card strips). I found an uncut strip online (I needed all three cards) and went back and forth on whether I should purchase it as part of my set, or let it go as an unnecessary financial distraction (because I'm cheap I don't want to buy the cards twice).

I ultimately decided the uncut strip WOULD count (because I would techically own the cards) even though they couldn't be displayed in the binder (my plan was to photo copy them and put the copy in the binder).

But the story has a sad ending, because by the time I made up my mind to purchase the strip, it had been sold. Oh well.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:20 PM
+0m J()rd@N

If you own all the cards, then the set is complete.

I collect Topps sets along with team sets of Cincinnati Reds, so I feel your dilemma. For example, I've got a 1970 Topps set and an additional 1970 C. Reds team set, however they have to share the #660 Johnny Bench. Luckily in that case, I picked up a cheap official Topps reprint and include it in the team set.

Your choice, but just because it doesn't fit in the binder, doesn't mean it's not part of your set.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 08-22-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:24 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Press Agent

All I know is that Mickey Cochrane needs a new agent. He got played!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My personal opinion is you can count an individual card by having the sheet. Heck, you have it in original form...to me it's a card which comes on a sheet of cards.

That all said, I am not a set collector so, I will defer to those that do collect them for some kind of unofficial ruling.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:58 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Maybe you could take all the individual cards and tape them together into their own sheets…you know, for consistency’s sake
Old 08-23-2022, 04:55 PM
Jim B.

1928 W565s in their natural habitat with the Gehrig on the red sheet!!

1927 W560 sheet with the Babe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackSheet.jpg (187.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg BlackSheetActors.jpg (169.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg RedSheet.jpg (72.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 1927_W560_UNCUTPANEL.jpg (191.0 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by BabyRuth; 08-23-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:10 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Yay, my new scanner is big enough to fit the sheets!!

Here they are, happy to be able to show these now

1923 W515-2 x2

1928 W513 Complete Set #51-100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel1.jpg (191.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Panel2.jpg (201.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Panel4.jpg (194.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Panel3.jpg (196.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by nineunder71; 08-24-2022 at 09:23 AM.