NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2021, 11:59 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Default SGC card returned as likely trimmed. Help me understand.

Hey there. First off, I know this isn't pre-war but given this question would really be applicable to any card I thought it would be ok to post here to get more eyes on it.

I submitted this card to SGC a few months ago. At the time I checked the both to NOT slab the card if found to be altered. Now, looking at the card, I thought this was a clear case of mouse chew: the edge of the tear is jagged, doesn't look like someone "cut" or trimmed it. So, it came back unslabbed and "likely trimmed". Why? If this is indeed mouse chew why would they consider that trimming? I measured the card against other 56s and it measures as big or bigger than any i have, and the edges really don't look trimmed. I would find that hard to believe that this card is trimmed in the usual sense. So why wouldn't this grade a 1? Do they consider a mouse chewing on a card as "altered" vs just damaged? Makes no sense to me.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Robert Williams

You just stated you asked to NOT have the card slabbed if authentic only. I hate to say it, but that card is not ever worthy of being a '1'. Authentic only would be the only route to take....which you said you didn't want.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:17 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Ok, well I guess that answers my question. In my mind a "1" was always the bare minimum that any card could grade as long as it was not altered? I guess though, the more I think about it that doesn't make sense as you could have a card missing even more than what my card is missing, and at what point do you draw the line.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:20 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Ok, well I guess that answers my question. In my mind a "1" was always the bare minimum that any card could grade as long as it was not altered? I guess though, the more I think about it that doesn't make sense as you could have a card missing even more than what my card is missing, and at what point do you draw the line.
The card needs to be square. Yes, it can be creased all to hell.....but if there are a chunk of card missing where it is no longer having an outline, then you won't get a grade. For example, there was an absolute beauty of a 1954 Hank Aaron rookie card in last Weds HUggins and Scott auction. It was missing a corner. Around the size of a nickle.....totally gone. That card would be authentic only as well....and I would love to have had it. I hate that you wasted your money like that, but that was the obviously outcome. You should have gotten it slabbed.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:25 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Question

Are you sure someone didn’t try to “even it up “ by slightly trimming the area around the P on the hat? Can’t tell from that one picture…. not that it would change much … it’s an Altered Authentic card… still pretty cool.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:28 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The card needs to be square. Yes, it can be creased all to hell.....but if there are a chunk of card missing where it is no longer having an outline, then you won't get a grade. For example, there was an absolute beauty of a 1954 Hank Aaron rookie card in last Weds HUggins and Scott auction. It was missing a corner. Around the size of a nickle.....totally gone. That card would be authentic only as well....and I would love to have had it. I hate that you wasted your money like that, but that was the obviously outcome. You should have gotten it slabbed.
Yeah, total waste of money.

See, that wasn't clear to me and still doesn't really make sense to me in my mind. It's sort of a gray area to me. Where does it say a missing piece automatically makes the card ungradeable?

Here's 2 extreme examples:

a) You have an absolutely pristine card except it's missing a corner, nice and evenly cut. That card is ungradeable

b) you have a "complete" card that has been creased to hell, run over, dirty. This card is gradeable?

I dunno, it seems sort of arbitrary to me.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:30 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Are you sure someone didn’t try to “even it up “ by slightly trimming the area around the P on the hat? Can’t tell from that one picture…. not that it would change much … it’s an Altered Authentic card… still pretty cool.
I dunno, I don't think so. It seems unlikely to me a human had anything to do with the missing area, but who knows.

Anyways, it seems that is irrelevant based on what Robert has said.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Heres an example of a corner cut, will never be more than an "A", which your Clemente would get.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Cobb.jpg (58.8 KB, 559 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-20-2021, 12:40 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

So, if I'm understanding correctly if a card is too beat up, even if it has all its "parts" , it's possible that that card could still not be worthy of a 1. I guess that makes sense. It sounds then it's not really a question of the missing piece, necessarily, but that the card just falls under the threshold of what a 1 can be.

Am I making sense?

In other words, if I take a nice 56 topps card, crumble it up in my hands.. even if that card is complete that doesn't mean it will or should grade a 1.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 12-20-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
In other words, if I take a nice 56 topps card, crumble it up in my hands.. even if that card is complete that doesn't mean it will or should grade a 1.
I think it would grade a "1" as its complete. Your card is not complete a lot of the top border has been removed. .i.e it is "altered"
Old 12-20-2021, 01:13 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
I think it would grade a "1" as its complete. Your card is not complete a lot of the top border has been removed. .i.e it is "altered"
+1 agreed

Also remember a lot of people by the Card not the grade.

I have seen “authentic” graded cards sell for more then some ones and two’s because the eye appeal of the card

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-20-2021, 01:23 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
You paid for an opinion, and opinions are arbitrary.

From the interwebs :

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

NOT NECESSARILY BASE ON FACT OR KNOWLEDGE
Old 12-20-2021, 01:51 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
You paid for an opinion, and opinions are arbitrary.

From the interwebs :

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

NOT NECESSARILY BASE ON FACT OR KNOWLEDGE
Thanks for taking time to point that out.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:54 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Thanks for taking time to point that out.
You may have inspired SGC to make a new designation. "MSCHW".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-20-2021, 01:54 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Totally sympathize with OP. There are more unwritten rules for grading companies than there is in baseball days. Here is a graded card that is not a complete border. Admittedly the missing piece is not large. But it ain't a complete border.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11256655995...YAAOSwCbtZvcq1

I always assume that if you had the rattiest ass looking card imaginable it would get a 1 or a 10 assuming (a) it was a genuine version of what it was purporting to be and (b) there was no evidence that someone deliberately manipulated it.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-21-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:20 PM
lu.c@s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Totally sympathize with OP. There are more unwritten rules for grading companies than there is in baseball days. Here is a graded card that is not a complete border. Admittedly the missing piece is not large. But it ain't a complete border.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11256655995...YAAOSwCbtZvcq1

I always assume that if you had the rattiest ass looking card imaginable it would get a 1 or a 10 assuming it was what it was purporting to be and there was no evidence that someone deliberately manipulated it.
Perhaps they make allowances for 1914 Cracker Jacks, perhaps there's a new standard (my Wagner below was graded in 2015 and subsequently re-slabbed), or perhaps there's another explanation. But, on a purely intuitive, "know it when I see it" level, I wouldn't expect a card missing as much cardboard as Lucio's Clemente to receive anything other than an A.

I also second the proposed new "MSCHW" designation!

Last edited by Mutton Chop Yaz; 12-20-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:54 PM
Fred

I hate to say this but grading is "subjective".

On that particular day, the card the grader "Authentic" and it was not, in the graders humble/useless opinion, deserving of a numerical grade, that day.

If another grader was tasked to grade it or if that same grader reviewed it on another day, then it may have received a "1'.

When TPGs provide numerical grades to cards that have the bottom trimmed (for example, Zeenuts or Redman), then pretty much anything goes.

We can always fall back on the first PSA graded card, right?

When I used to send cards in for grading, I would let them know to encapsulate it, even if it was going to get the dreaded "A" because if I took the time to send it in, then it was worth having the protection of the slab.

As to the TRM - who ever trimmed the OPS card did a lousy job.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:37 PM
Howard Chasser

Default A few points

1) There are plenty of cards out there missing parts with number grades (none that I've seen missing anywhere close to as much as yours). 2 highlighted in this thread already - anyone else have any handy?

2) Grading company guidelines have been a moving target for some time now with some very seemingly random decisions - one of my favorites - cards with paper loss get number grades (I've seen them up to 5's - take a look at T205's), but cards with staple holes (even though there is arguably a greater % of card there than some with paper loss) get automatic 1's

3) Specific to your issue - SGC sent back a sticker on which was printed "TRM" - presume that means Trimmed? Why not "A"? Or nothing? You raised a fair question about what exactly does "TRM" mean?

4) Problem specific to SGC - They DON'T differentiate between "Authentic" - ie. a card that has not been doctored, but for a defined reason does not qualify for a numeric grade and "Authentic Altered" - a card that appears to have been "doctored" in some way. Everything just gets an "A" - VERY confusing

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:04 PM
Robert Williams

Old 12-20-2021, 09:05 PM
Robert Williams

Corners are hit or miss. Depends on how much of the corner is gone (percentage wise). No offense to the OP, but his card is missing quite a bit. It was impossible to get a number grade.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 12-20-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:10 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Yeah, total waste of money.

See, that wasn't clear to me and still doesn't really make sense to me in my mind. It's sort of a gray area to me. Where does it say a missing piece automatically makes the card ungradeable?

Here's 2 extreme examples:

a) You have an absolutely pristine card except it's missing a corner, nice and evenly cut. That card is ungradeable

b) you have a "complete" card that has been creased to hell, run over, dirty. This card is gradeable?

Welcome to the world of grading!
Old 12-21-2021, 07:07 AM
Rob

Here's one I have had since the 80's. Never really thought of wasting money on grading it just wondered if it would even be an "A". A neatly trimmed top edge with some tape to reinstall.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:44 AM
J0hn Collin$

To make sense of some of these seemingly silly and arbitrary decisions that professional graders make, you have to understand the history of grading and how it evolved within the hobby. The standards that a PSA or SGC generally use today are a carefully constructed and heavily modified heirloom of the way things were done originally in the 1970's and even earlier, with some totally new and random things added in that somehow survived the cut. The original MO for graders like PSA was to "set standards" and therefore prevent opinion swings between dealers and hobbyists, and to cut out a lot of alteration that was rampant in the hobby at the time. 30 years on, well yeah - they didn't really accomplish those goals - but they started very profitable businesses - so of course they ran with it.

For starters in this case, the difference between "Authentic" and "1-Poor" is heavily influenced by the card hobby notion (unlike in some other expensive hobbies) that alteration is always to deceive, and therefore is BAD, and so most altered cards - including some which look stunning - are automatically WORSE than cards with "honest" wear. This is how a card that has been trimmed a sixteenth of an inch and is otherwise minty in appearance gets a PSA AA, and the same card which is barely recognizable and may have indeed been run over by a truck might be in a PSA 1 - Poor slab. If a card is not necessarily altered, but just missing so much that it's generally considered to be worse than poor - then it will sometimes be slabbed as Authentic without the Altered.

Your Clemente IMO was a case of the grader having a bad day, or perhaps it was just one of their new graders (they have a lot right now...) that honestly doesn't know better or wasn't trained properly. I think that card should have been slabbed "Authentic"; as they have slabbed worse examples of cards missing pieces that way before. True "trimming" is generally done with the intent to at least be subtle - if it was not some kid back in 1959 or whenever who did some obvious trimming, trying to make the card fit into something smaller like a picture frame, or maybe even later with plastic pages designed for smaller cards. Your card is not "trimmed" per se, but missing a chunk.

At the end of the day, remember that yes - grading is subjective due to the necessity of tying a technical standard (generally definable) back to eye appeal of the card (something that will always be in the eye of the beholder). Grading companies count on this discrepancy, and it's one of their best kept secrets to keep cards flowing in, not to mention the large number of collectors who pop their cards in frustration and resubmit them, hoping to get a higher number on a piece of paper sealed up in a piece of plastic. Convincing collectors that they are experts who apply standards evenly (they aren't, and they don't...) is the great marketing genius of TPG's.

If you think your card is bad, look at the "half a T206 Wagner" graded early in the game as Genuine by PSA which has been making headlines recently for heading to the auction block.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-21-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRock View Post
Here's one I have had since the 80's. Never really thought of wasting money on grading it just wondered if it would even be an "A". A neatly trimmed top edge with some tape to reinstall.

It has been a couple years but SGC wouldn't slab a similar one for me.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I think that card should have been slabbed "Authentic";
They would have if the OP had requested it. He specifically said he DID NOT want that. He wanted a number grade. That card simply would not have gotten a number grade. Put it this way.....if they had cut away the entire background and only left Clemente, to the point that is isn't a card anymore, but only a cutout of Clemente, would THAT be worthy of a grade? If the answer is no, then you understand the point I am trying to make.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
To make sense of some of these seemingly silly and arbitrary decisions that professional graders make, you have to understand the history of grading and how it evolved within the hobby. The standards that a PSA or SGC generally use today are a carefully constructed and heavily modified heirloom of the way things were done originally in the 1970's and even earlier, with some totally new and random things added in that somehow survived the cut. The original MO for graders like PSA was to "set standards" and therefore prevent opinion swings between dealers and hobbyists, and to cut out a lot of alteration that was rampant in the hobby at the time. 30 years on, well yeah - they didn't really accomplish those goals - but they started very profitable businesses - so of course they ran with it.

For starters in this case, the difference between "Authentic" and "1-Poor" is heavily influenced by the card hobby notion (unlike in some other expensive hobbies) that alteration is always to deceive, and therefore is BAD, and so most altered cards - including some which look stunning - are automatically WORSE than cards with "honest" wear. This is how a card that has been trimmed a sixteenth of an inch and is otherwise minty in appearance gets a PSA AA, and the same card which is barely recognizable and may have indeed been run over by a truck might be in a PSA 1 - Poor slab. If a card is not necessarily altered, but just missing so much that it's generally considered to be worse than poor - then it will sometimes be slabbed as Authentic without the Altered.

Your Clemente IMO was a case of the grader having a bad day, or perhaps it was just one of their new graders (they have a lot right now...) that honestly doesn't know better or wasn't trained properly. I think that card should have been slabbed "Authentic"; as they have slabbed worse examples of cards missing pieces that way before. True "trimming" is generally done with the intent to be subtle and to deceive - if it was not some kid back in 1959 or whenever who did some obvious trimming, but with the intent of making the card fit into something smaller like a picture frame, or maybe even later with plastic pages designed for smaller cards. Your card is not "trimmed" per se, but missing a chunk.

At the end of the day, remember that yes - grading is subjective due to the necessity of tying a technical standard (generally definable) back to eye appeal of the card (something that will always be in the eye of the beholder). Grading companies count on this discrepancy, and it's one of their best kept secrets to keep cards flowing in, not to mention the large number of collectors who pop their cards in frustration and resubmit them, hoping to get a higher number on a piece of paper sealed up in a piece of plastic. Convincing collectors that they are experts who apply standards evenly (they aren't, and they don't...) is the great marketing genius of TPG's.

If you think your card is bad, look at the "half a T206 Wagner" graded early in the game as "Genuine" by PSA which has been making headlines recently for heading to the auction block. There are no true standards really at any given moment. It's just whatever the graders feel like doing when they first look at your card.
It looks like the "half a Wagner" card you're referring to is actually the second card ever graded by PSA. So they gave the first one, a trimmed T206 Wagner, an 8 and the second one a "Genuine," which would translate as "Authentic" in today's grading. Two over-graded cards is not an inspiring start for PSA. Admittedly, they hadn't figured a lot of things out at that point.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...06-wagner-psa/
Old 12-21-2021, 01:06 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
It looks like the "half a Wagner" card you're referring to is actually the second card ever graded by PSA. So they gave the first one, a trimmed T206 Wagner, an 8 and the second one a "Genuine," which would translate as "Authentic" in today's grading. Two over-graded cards is not an inspiring start for PSA. Admittedly, they hadn't figured a lot of things out at that point.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...06-wagner-psa/
They haven't necessarily figured out a ton more in the intervening decades either...
Old 12-21-2021, 01:49 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
They would have if the OP had requested it. He specifically said he DID NOT want that. He wanted a number grade. That card simply would not have gotten a number grade. Put it this way.....if they had cut away the entire background and only left Clemente, to the point that is isn't a card anymore, but only a cutout of Clemente, would THAT be worthy of a grade? If the answer is no, then you understand the point I am trying to make.
In that case it was probably just the grader being sloppy. They could have printed out the "A" flip while not slabbing instead of saying it was trimmed, which would have been more accurate. Unlike PSA, SGC does not differentiate between A and AA. They don't have to tell you why the card didn't get a number grade, though in this case it's pretty obvious.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:20 PM
Adam

I just saw this one come up at auction. The second card PSA ever slabbed, they apparently used a "genuine" grade at that time.