NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2021, 01:16 PM
Chris

Default Print Error or Fading 1933 Goudey?

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this, I have two 1933 #45 Larry Benton cards. I was comparing them and noticed a few differences, at first glance I assumed the raw card had simply faded over time.

Looking closer, I’m curious if this was a printers error, maybe a color pass or two was missed on this sheet, if that’s possible? The raw copy has a similar shade of red, but other colors look more dull and out of focus.

The biggest head scratcher I have regarding fading is found just under Larry’s left elbow. If this card had simply faded, why is the blue outline still visible under the arm, but the blue fill is completely gone?

Larry’s glove is similar, outline present, infill missing.

For the boxes in the upper right corner of the raw card some spots of blue are visible while the majority is not present?

The shadow under Larry is much more significantly faded than the green just behind on the infield.

There are also tiny dots on the face and reverse of the card which I’ve seen on other Goudey cards. I am not sure what to attribute those to.

Thanks for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65639BB6-541B-4856-94B4-AEEA67755E10.jpg (10.2 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 5E4DF23C-08A5-4C98-8E5D-94C1D436DD99.jpg (13.4 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 5A1026BA-CDFA-46CB-83D3-4785D618EC81.jpg (19.9 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by CK; 08-10-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-10-2021, 02:15 PM
J@mes In.gram

Aside from counterfeit and repro cards, which are another subject altogether...I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that a great deal of old card analysis is subjective interpretation. How could it be otherwise, when dealing with antiquated cardboard trading cards, produced with relatively crude techniques? While there is a vast knowledge of known card attributes and flaws, there is just so much that is anyone's best guess. I myself have gotten excited over many things I have found on my own cards...odd colored backs and fronts, odd cuts and miscut cards, blurry images and even blurry photos, ink blobs, odd colored ink, etc. Anymore, I just accept them as is, the "patina" of time, if you will. I collect only raw cards for purely hobby reasons. If there is more involved with your cards, such as investment or perhaps potential grading submittals, or you just want to know, you've come to the right place. Asking your questions here will get the attention of folks with the highest levels of knowledge of these old cards there is.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:31 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
I’d appreciate your thoughts on this, I have two 1933 #45 Larry Benton cards. I was comparing them and noticed a few differences, at first glance I assumed the raw card had simply faded over time.

Looking closer, I’m curious if this was a printers error, maybe a color pass or two was missed on this sheet, if that’s possible? The raw copy has a similar shade of red, but other colors look more dull and out of focus.

The biggest head scratcher I have regarding fading is found just under Larry’s left elbow. If this card had simply faded, why is the blue outline still visible under the arm, but the blue fill is completely gone?

Larry’s glove is similar, outline present, infill missing.

For the boxes in the upper right corner of the raw card some spots of blue are visible while the majority is not present?

The shadow under Larry is much more significantly faded than the green just behind on the infield.

There are also tiny dots on the face and reverse of the card which I’ve seen on other Goudey cards. I am not sure what to attribute those to.

Thanks for your input.
Hi Chris. I've been working on this set, as you have, for the better part of the last 9 months, and bought almost 300 cards in that time. I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll add my 2 cents.

The "spots" that you mention are prominent in many '33 Goudeys for sure. It's something that bothers me, and that I have had to keep an eye out for, since I've seen some cards grade VG and above with these spots present to varying degree. I assumed that they were mold of some type. IMHO, what you are seeing on this card is ageing/fading. But I can't explain the variation in fading of the same color. Maybe there was some printing issue. The Benton in particular was a very tough card for me to find in nice shape, so there could be something specific to this card. Many of them seem to have problems. In fact, I finally paid more than I should have for a couple of nice ungraded cards, still waiting for SGC to lower their prices so I can grade them. Good looking graded versions of this card in VG-VG/EX range aren't offered for sale in the last year often.

Something just occurred to me, #219 Mule Haas is also very tough to find in nice shape. I had equally hard time with it, and nice copies of that card go for big bucks. It has a similar color palette to the Benton in the upper third, purple/pink hues. Some correlation perhaps?
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson

Last edited by chadeast; 08-10-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Aside from counterfeit and repro cards, which are another subject altogether...I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that a great deal of old card analysis is subjective interpretation. How could it be otherwise, when dealing with antiquated cardboard trading cards, produced with relatively crude techniques? While there is a vast knowledge of known card attributes and flaws, there is just so much that is anyone's best guess.
Thank you. Many consider this specific set to be relatively error free considering the era, finding something unique amongst the 240ish cards is interesting to me.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:51 PM
Todd C

missing some red ink....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 Berg_frt-Missing Red layer.jpg (47.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 08-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
Hi Chris. I've been working on this set, as you have, for the better part of the last 9 months, and bought almost 300 cards in that time. I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll add my 2 cents.

The "spots" that you mention are prominent in many '33 Goudeys for sure. It's something that bothers me, and that I have had to keep an eye out for, since I've seen some cards grade VG and above with these spots present to varying degree. I assumed that they were mold of some type. IMHO, what you are seeing on this card is ageing/fading. But I can't explain the variation in fading of the same color. Maybe there was some printing issue. The Benton in particular was a very tough card for me to find in nice shape, so there could be something specific to this card. Many of them seem to have problems. In fact, I finally paid more than I should have for a couple of nice ungraded cards, still waiting for SGC to lower their prices so I can grade them. Good looking graded versions of this card in VG-VG/EX range aren't offered for sale in the last year often.

Something just occurred to me, #219 Mule Haas is also very tough to find in nice shape. I had equally hard time with it, and nice copies of that card go for big bucks. It has a similar color palette to the Benton in the upper third, purple/pink hues. Some correlation perhaps?
Hey Chad -

I have seen plenty of random brown dots on the several hundred cards I’ve owned too. I’ve had several yellow cards like the #26 Cissell that almost look dirty due to the number and spacing. The #222 Gehringer is often poorly printed with white streaks or that same “dirty” look.

Funny that you mention the Haas card which in itself is an actual error. “Hass” is on the front and “Haas” is on the back. I actually have a copy of that one in much better condition than the PSA grade applies, imho.

Here’s the Cissell for posterity, somehow these dots grade higher than the cleaner Haas. That’s another discussion though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91D50570-0959-45E3-8AFF-42A9CF93D051.jpg (12.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg E19CBBE6-4A92-42DC-8890-F9659841FA91.jpg (20.1 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by CK; 08-10-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballera View Post
missing some red ink....
Ha, yes I think that’s the uniform fading I would generally expect. A lot of low grade Gehrig’s have the blue background nearly washed out along with the other colors.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Hey Chad -

I have seen plenty of random brown dots on the several hundred cards I’ve owned too. I’ve had several yellow cards like the #26 Cissell that almost look dirty due to the number and spacing. The #222 Gehringer is often poorly printed with white streaks or that same “dirty” look.

Funny that you mention the Haas card which in itself is an actual error. “Hass” is on the front and “Haas” is on the back. I actually have a copy of that one in much better condition that the PSA grade applies, imho.

Here’s the Cissell for posterity, somehow these dots grade higher than the cleaner Haas. That’s another discussion though.
I think your Cissell is just dirty, or 'toned', like so many yellow background '33s that I've owned. I overpaid for a number of my yellow backgrounds just to get them clean, many of my last cards that I needed to finish the set were of the yellow variety. I probably treasure my clean yellow background commons above all other commons, and probably some star cards too. I still don't have a nice looking Bartell.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
Old 08-10-2021, 05:19 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
I think your Cissell is just dirty, or 'toned', like so many yellow background '33s that I've owned. I overpaid for a number of my yellow backgrounds just to get them clean, many of my last cards that I needed to finish the set were of the yellow variety. I probably treasure my clean yellow background commons above all other commons, and probably some star cards too. I still don't have a nice looking Bartell.
To be fair Chad, the Cissell is a bit dirty from handling over the years but in hand absolutely has the similar dots. The same goes for my 29 Foxx and many others.
See pic, Both Foxx are dirty, the one on the left is dirty and has dots.

Also, a few examples of less dirty yellow cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC02EC89-0E51-4F1E-8068-CD096152B33D.jpg (20.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 964A9CBA-BBEE-436F-A142-1CEEAE7CE440.jpg (19.2 KB, 157 views)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's a bit hard to tell much from the small pictures, but there are a few explanations that make sense.

First, the lighter card could be faded. But the red is very similar, and red usually fades first.

The next two are related, and may even be combined. I checked a few Goudeys, and the blue is done in two passes, a light one and a dark one.

Second, and this is common, the inks were mixed by hand and can vary some depending on how the press operator interpreted the recepie for the exact shade desired. Both blues are lighter than usual.

Third, the dark blue may be underinked. The operator can control the amount of ink applied to the plate, and for some reason may have run it light that day.
(The water wetting the plate can also be adjusted, with similar results if a bit too much is used. )
Old 08-10-2021, 10:25 PM

Default does anyone ever worry

about the reprint sets that Ed Brooks (think I have the name right) put out I believe in the sixties? These were advertised as "so good you can't tell the difference" and they sold very, very well. Dealers like Lew Lipset were infuriated as were others. If I can find them, I have copies of the original advertising to confirm.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:28 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
about the reprint sets that Ed Brooks (think I have the name right) put out I believe in the sixties? These were advertised as "so good you can't tell the difference" and they sold very, very well. Dealers like Lew Lipset were infuriated as were others. If I can find them, I have copies of the original advertising to confirm.
It was Charlie Brooks in the 70's according to a few sources. They have black printing on the back instead of green so are less of a concern, as I understand it. The Galassos from the 80's are more popular with scammers, with the Ruth "novelty" cards among the most popular with these scum since there are no reprint markings on those. Pretty easy to spot when you know what to look for, and once you have the card in hand a 10x loupe (if that) is all you really need to identify the real deal vs. anything else.

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
Old 08-11-2021, 08:25 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It's a bit hard to tell much from the small pictures, but there are a few explanations that make sense.

First, the lighter card could be faded. But the red is very similar, and red usually fades first.

The next two are related, and may even be combined. I checked a few Goudeys, and the blue is done in two passes, a light one and a dark one.

Second, and this is common, the inks were mixed by hand and can vary some depending on how the press operator interpreted the recepie for the exact shade desired. Both blues are lighter than usual.

Third, the dark blue may be underinked. The operator can control the amount of ink applied to the plate, and for some reason may have run it light that day.
(The water wetting the plate can also be adjusted, with similar results if a bit too much is used. )
Not sure if this photo will render larger but here’s a shot.

My line of thinking is similar to what you describe, the red would fade first and I assume the blue would fade more evenly. Also, the outline of his figure is more narrow than usual, possibly due to less ink or a missed pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72D545F6-E85E-43D5-82B1-18EA342407DB.jpg (10.3 KB, 62 views)