NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2020, 08:44 PM
Danny Gabel

Default new daughter in - need idea on what to collect for her :)

My long time girlfriend and I just had a baby girl, Juniper Taylor Gabel. Im so proud to have a daughter after having a son, Thaddeus Hoy. We choose Taylor in honor of Dummy Taylor who was a deaf pitcher for NY Giants.

I was thinking of starting a collection for my daughter. I thought of vintage cards of women athletes. Apparently there weren't any back then. Allen and Ginter autograph cards is an option but I don't trust their value in long run.

T205 is doable with a biography on the back where we can learn a thing or two but I was hoping for women related.

Any other ideas where I can enjoy the progress with my precious daughter? I'm prepare that she will sell her collection when she's older enough

Can someone help me post a baby picture here for me? what would be your email so I can send over quickly.

Hope all is well and safe at home.

Best,
Danny
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:52 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

I don't have any, but I think these female jockey cards from American Caramel are interesting. Congratulations on the new bundle of joy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-Americ...4AAOSwBfhcCW0z

Last edited by Jerry G; 04-10-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:56 PM

Congratulations!

I know that some strip cards have include female athletes (and actresses and etc)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The greatest female athletes are in the WNBA. I suggest you collect rookie cards of WNBA greats. They are inexpensive but relatively scarce.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:17 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Congratulations!

I think Jay Miller makes a great suggestion.

You could also collect items having to do with the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL). Some good stories there, and some very affordable items available, if that matters. But, you could also find some more "investment grade" items tied to Jimmie Foxx, Max Carey, and the Wrigley family.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:06 PM
Sean McGinty

Congratulations! I have a 2 year old girl (and 5 year old boy), daughters are so awesome.

My girl loves cute animals, especially dogs. There are a lot of old cigarette card sets that feature them, especially from the UK. I have a bunch of them I am saving for her. She is also massively into Minnie Mouse right now and I’m trying to find that stuff for her.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:12 PM
Mike Mattsey

Congratulations!

Pick up a few cheap Donruss puzzles. My boy loved them as a toddler.

Is there a Babe Zaharias card?
Old 04-10-2020, 11:48 PM

Mazel Tov !!!

How about collecting cards of Jewish women athletes.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
Is there a Babe Zaharias card?
This Sport Kings card would be a vintage cornerstone to a woman athlete collection.

Brian (card not mine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933-Babe-Didrickson-310.jpg (29.0 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-11-2020 at 12:38 AM. Reason: man I always first incorrectly identify it as Sports King
Old 04-11-2020, 02:58 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Congrats! I know they are generic, but the n508 sub rosa are great.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-11-2020, 05:22 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSports View Post

Can someone help me post a baby picture here for me? what would be your email so I can send over quickly.

Best,
Danny
If you send to lnagel@iland.net - I think I can get put up for you this morning - Congrats!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Steve Asmus

Congratulations!

I wanted to do the same thing you are doing with my daughters, but my advice is wait a few years, they will tell you what they like. My three like very different cards:

DD1 - T206 Cards
DD2 - Church & Dwight Bird Cards
DD3 - Boxing Cards - especially 1951 Topps Ringside.

Those probably would have been the three least likely types of cards I would have ever guessed for any of them, but they are what they wanted. I'm just happy they all like vintage cards, and was able to spend a lot of time with each of them building their sets.

My son is totally different from the girls, he loves all eras of cards. He even thought at one time the Post Office was where baseball cards came from, so always wanted to go with my wife to get the mail at the PO box thinking she was buying baseball cards everyday!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:33 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Animals

My daughter used to watch me sort through cards, and wanted to “play” to. So I started getting her. T29 Hassan Animal cards. When she got home from college last month, bored with pandemic online work, she pulled them out and we had a blast sorting through them all, once again. She still needs four of them, btw. Anybody have a beater of any of these:

Bateleur Eagle
Chimpanzee
Hooded Cobra
Roan Antelope

We’ve got lots to trade! Mostly rough, though. Anyway, it’s a pretty fun one to collect.

Take Care,
Geno
Old 04-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Posted for Danny - Awesome Pic!
Danny
Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Tim Odeen

Although the value is low, i can remember as a kid buying 1992 and 1996 olympic athlete sets. They would be a good set to buy to allow your daughter to hold and play with them. There were some fantastic female athletes in that era.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-11-2020, 09:33 AM

Congratulations.

I saw in one of the auctions, a team ball signed by all of the Rockford Peaches, from the Movie a League of Their Own. That’s very cool for a girl. Frankly, I was considering going after it bc I like American History, but I am happy to step down if you want it
Old 04-11-2020, 09:55 AM
Eric Bea.chley

To the original poster, I know your enthusiasm and have been there with 3 daughters. Tried many different themes. Unfortunately they don’t care. The best success will come from non-sports, primarily animals or Pokemon.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Jonathan Sterling

First Congratulations on the birth of your Daughter. Mine is now 32. I bought her to card shows when she was 5-7 but she just didn't get bit by the collecting bug. Then about 9 Pokemon hit. I would buy boxes when new sets came out and she joined a leauge at the local Toys R us. Remember Toys R Us.... Then after Pokemon died down she started collecting Disney pins mostly Tinkerbell. And she has kept up on her pin collection to this day.
In fact the current Minnie Mouse "main Attraction " series is what We are pursuing now. And yes it is Wonderful when collecting with your Daughter lasts a lifetime. She is also a Big Devils fan and we go to games on a regular. Good luck stay involved be patient it will work itself out..
Jonathan
Old 04-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Congrats.

I thought about doing something similar "for" my son and decided against it. I see too many people justifying their collecting habits, some addictions, by saying it's for their children. Happens in all collectibles. "i buying these He-Man figures cause they worth money and i pass them down to my boy" "This collection is for my kids" blah, blah.

But you sir, you seem to be doing it tastefully!

Congrats again!
Old 04-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Bill Avery

There is the T221 Champion Women Swimmer. http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/T221/go.html
Old 04-11-2020, 07:16 PM
rgpete

Congrats ! On your daughter I would go for the USWNT Team Set Soccer stickers especially for the Women's World Cup made by Panini from 2011 to 2019 They are available and not expensive only If you order from Panini's website under missing stickers Just my 2 cents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87419956_1464959853678626_6613681755264122880_o.jpg (70.5 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 04-11-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Danny Gabel

Default n25

Thank you all for kindness.

You guys dropped plenty of ideas since last night. I just picked up 3 PSA cards of Allen Ginter N-25 animals cards which cost me 10 each. Graded cards from 1888 cost 10 dollars each is no brainer.

I will pick up sone women cards from different sets at times to expand her collection.

I also will make sure she know all about deaf women athletes such as Tamika Catchings, Emma Meesseman, Gertrude Ederle.

Thank you once again!
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 04-11-2020, 08:36 PM
+0m J()rd@N

How about 8x10 photos of female astronauts? I'd bet there are quite a few you could write to and get a photo from.

The new NASA Administrator's saying is that the country is poised to put the "First Woman and the Next Man" on the Moon. Whoever that woman will be, she is probably in the current astronaut class now.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 04-11-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:30 AM
Chris

What’s the end goal? If you are trying to get her in to collecting, I’d wait until she is older, see what she expresses an interest in, and take her to go buy those things with her. Most of the fun in collecting is acquiring a piece, so it would be nice to involve her with that part. If the goal is to invest in her future, I’d buy some more traditional investments instead.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSports View Post
My long time girlfriend and I just had a baby girl, Juniper Taylor Gabel. Im so proud to have a daughter after having a son, Thaddeus Hoy. We choose Taylor in honor of Dummy Taylor who was a deaf pitcher for NY Giants.

I was thinking of starting a collection for my daughter. I thought of vintage cards of women athletes. Apparently there weren't any back then. Allen and Ginter autograph cards is an option but I don't trust their value in long run.

T205 is doable with a biography on the back where we can learn a thing or two but I was hoping for women related.

Any other ideas where I can enjoy the progress with my precious daughter? I'm prepare that she will sell her collection when she's older enough

Hope all is well and safe at home.

Best,
Danny
having an adult daughter I can tell you you are going to want to collect cold hard cash...AND A WHOLE LOT OF IT PERIOD
Old 04-12-2020, 12:47 PM
Scott

Default Congrats!

Maybe pick a player with the same birthday?