NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 AM
Al Richter

Default Resource For Post War Variations Collectors

This site is being developed by a group of variant collectors updating the work of Ralph Nozaki and Dick Gilkeson. It is in progress and Mike Cady who is pointing it has been very helpful with questions and is interested in input from other variant collectors on additions to the effort.

They have a working definition of a variation they will list, but for most issues they mention in notes to the lists many well known variants that are more in the nature of recurring print defects.

The site will eventually include basketball and football as well

http://baseballcardvariationsguidebo...wordpress.com/

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-06-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
This site is being developed by a group of variant collectors updating the work of Ralph Nozaki and Dick Gilkeson. It is in progress and Mike Cady who is pointing it has been very helpful with questions and is interested in input from other variant collectors on additions to the effort.

They have a working definition of a variation they will list, but for most issues they mention in notes to the lists many well known variants that are more in the nature of recurring print defects.

The site will eventually include basketball and football as well

http://baseballcardvariationsguidebo...wordpress.com/
Thanks for the link Al. Did a quick look and liked it a lot.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:54 AM
Mike Lenart

I checked it out and it looks good. The photos are a great help for some of the variations.

Mike
Old 01-06-2020, 11:56 AM

Nice Al. Duly noted and book marked.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:18 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Great stuff, Al! I was poking around and have a couple of comments that I think may help others.

A ) Would you be able to list the differences in the captions? Some are obvious (1956 team cards) and others are not (many of the 1956 cards, some of the 1971 checklists) unless you already know what you are looking for (1956 Williams yellow line).
B ) I didn't see any of the 1973 manager/coaches variations. If there are known variations that you don't have examples of, you could have a blank space with a request for examples.
C ) Consider putting in an 'urban legends' section as well (where needed). For example, under the 1970 section you might have a blurb about the Fregosi "no pickup" card (unless it truly DOES exist).

Regardless of the above, this is a massive undertaking and awesome work putting this together. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:17 AM
Al Richter

Taylor--I think Mike and his cohorts are very receptive to comments and suggestions. The basic format started with an update to Gilkeson's publication which was in that format

They do have the 73 coaches. For some reason the site has occasionally dropped certain lists for certain years, but they have a list for 73, so check back later.

They are definitely interested in listing any missing variations and debunking any urban legends.

This is not a full time job for these guys so feedback may take time to show up in the lists

They do have a notes section under many lists that deals with well known print defects and urban legends that do not make the main list for lack of verification or not being in compliance with their definition of a variation.

I will point out your comments to Mike, although you can make them on the site
Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Rich Klein

I glanced through the site and there are some of the recent updates which are obvious (1990 Upper Deck Weston for example) and need no more help and some which really need explanation (the 1996-97 SP Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr.). I think if you are going to show a picture and the difference is not totally obvious you must explain the difference.

Rich
Old 01-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Al Richter

Agree with you Rich that if you are unfamiliar with a listed variant, the descriptions can sometimes be unclear or confusing. I have asked Mike for clarification on some descriptions and he has readily helped with further info. I think he is very receptive to that type of input for the site
Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I glanced through the site and there are some of the recent updates which are obvious (1990 Upper Deck Weston for example) and need no more help and some which really need explanation (the 1996-97 SP Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr.). I think if you are going to show a picture and the difference is not totally obvious you must explain the difference.

Rich
Thanks for checking out the website and thanks again Al for this posting here.

Each blog contains a checklist and sometimes photos for the year(s) listed in title. When the underlined file is clicked on/downloaded, there will be a listing with description of each of the variations as seen in the photos. I have just finished adding notes to the photos mentioned above. I will try to improve as we go along and your comments will help make this site a special one.
Most appreciated,
Mike
Old 01-09-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Great stuff, Al! I was poking around and have a couple of comments that I think may help others.

A ) Would you be able to list the differences in the captions? Some are obvious (1956 team cards) and others are not (many of the 1956 cards, some of the 1971 checklists) unless you already know what you are looking for (1956 Williams yellow line).
B ) I didn't see any of the 1973 manager/coaches variations. If there are known variations that you don't have examples of, you could have a blank space with a request for examples.
C ) Consider putting in an 'urban legends' section as well (where needed). For example, under the 1970 section you might have a blurb about the Fregosi "no pickup" card (unless it truly DOES exist).

Regardless of the above, this is a massive undertaking and awesome work putting this together. Thanks!
Hi, thanks for the comments. I am not sure what happened but I have just finished adding photos of the 1973 Topps manager/coaches as requested.

Also, I have noted in the downloaded file in certain blogs of cards rumored to exist along with a note saying something like unconfirmed or waiting on confirmation. I am not familiar with the Fregosi variation mentioned and will need to do some research. Any and all help is appreciated.

Most appreciated in spotting this problem,
Sincerely,
Mike
Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 PM
Al Richter

Welcome to the Board Mike. Tom was participating quite a bit in the long variations thread but have not seen him post in awhile

Taylor-- what is the Fregosi no pick up card ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-09-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Don't want to get my panties in a bunch, but tell the authors of the site to give proper credit. I checked out the 1973 page after reading this thread, and BOOM! there's my discovery of the third 1973 #280 Al Kaline 'missing link' variation from this thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=216736) shown and they have a footnote giving credit for the graphic I CREATED to someone else. Huh??? It shouldn't annoy me, but it does. I've had quite a few 'revelatory' discoveries that I've shared on this site over the years (1964 Topps Giants cropping differences, 1971 Coin Checklist, 1967 and 1969 Topps cropping differences, to name a few) and would hate to think someone could just grab the pics I created/posted and take credit for them. That's really weak. Rant over.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Don't want to get my panties in a bunch, but tell the authors of the site to give proper credit. I checked out the 1973 page after reading this thread, and BOOM! there's my discovery of the third 1973 #280 Al Kaline 'missing link' variation from this thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=216736) shown and they have a footnote giving credit for the graphic I CREATED to someone else. Huh??? It shouldn't annoy me, but it does. I've had quite a few 'revelatory' discoveries that I've shared on this site over the years (1964 Topps Giants cropping differences, 1971 Coin Checklist, 1967 and 1969 Topps cropping differences, to name a few) and would hate to think someone could just grab the pics I created/posted and take credit for them. That's really weak. Rant over.
Good evening, I sincerely apologize for posting the incorrect credit for the Kaline photos. I was sent this photo several years ago along with many others from another collector and have been trying to find the variations ever since. I assumed it was theirs when posting, sorry. Please send me your name so I can give the proper credit. Also, I would be very interested in your help in creating a complete listing of all the existing variations, as well as, debunking others that are on most collector’s want lists, but have yet to find or confirm existence. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Sincerely,
Mike
Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufmeister View Post
Good evening, I sincerely apologize for posting the incorrect credit for the Kaline photos. I was sent this photo several years ago along with many others from another collector and have been trying to find the variations ever since. I assumed it was theirs when posting, sorry. Please send me your name so I can give the proper credit. Also, I would be very interested in your help in creating a complete listing of all the existing variations, as well as, debunking others that are on most collector’s want lists, but have yet to find or confirm existence. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Sincerely,
Mike
Hey Mike. If you just put "JollyElm from net54," that'll be fine by me.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Welcome to the Board Mike. Tom was participating quite a bit in the long variations thread but have not seen him post in awhile

Taylor-- what is the Fregosi no pick up card ?
Al,

The 1970 Topps #570 Fregosi has a picture of him in a ground ball fielding position. In the back ground seen between his legs is a white pickup truck. Supposedly there is a version where the white pickup truck doesn't exist (airbrushed out?). I have never seen one or know of anyone who has seen one, yet it will popup on some variation/want lists. I don't believe this card actually exists.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:33 AM
Al Richter

Thanks, Taylor
Old 01-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Mike

How can I contact Mike Cady and/or George Vrechek ? Any email addreses ? Are they on here ?

I looked at the site. It is great ! Will the 1933-1947 Years be listed also ?

I'd be willing to work on variations pre-1948 .
Old 01-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Al Richter

A link to Mike's email is on the site. That is how I have been communicating with him. But it looks like you can pm him here if you click on his profile which you can access from his posts in this thread.

George's contact email appears in most of his SCD articles, which are on line. He is very good about responding. If you google “Vrechek Topps 1963 new variations” you will pull up article that gives his contact info

Gillkeson's original work was post war baseball, football, basketball and hockey. Not sure if this effort will expand to pre war.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-11-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
How can I contact Mike Cady and/or George Vrechek ? Any email addreses ? Are they on here ?

I looked at the site. It is great ! Will the 1933-1947 Years be listed also ?

I'd be willing to work on variations pre-1948 .
Hi, glad you like the site, thank you!

I am not sure if I can list my email address on this site but if you go to the website, you will find it there along with answers to your other questions about earlier cards. We are looking for someone to create an earlier volume than this one.
Mike
Old 01-26-2020, 03:08 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufmeister View Post
Hi, glad you like the site, thank you!

I am not sure if I can list my email address on this site but if you go to the website, you will find it there along with answers to your other questions about earlier cards. We are looking for someone to create an earlier volume than this one.
Mike
Very cool site, nice gathering of variations. Found some more here to go chase I didn't have on my own lists! Thank you to all of those who share the ones they know

Here's some more to add, or to note for N54'ers, starting with 1955 Topps:

1) Like Jackie Robinson, #80 Bob Grim can be found with the same logo cropping difference. True variation, but not sure I've ever seen this one mentioned anywhere before. The "correct" logo, not cut off at the top/left side is the easier.

2) #56 Ray Jablonski, stray blue splotch. Recurring print defect, but pretty much the same as the Wally Moon stray dot, who is listed. This has been mentioned by other collectors, I know

3) #20 Andy Carey - the black circle outlining the Yankees team logo on front can be found with or without a gap at top. There seem to be multiple intermediate variations with a very thin black line connecting the rest of the thicker circle that gets progressively more complete. Pretty sure this one has not been posted about anywhere before.

4) #174 Rudy Minarcin can be found missing the bottom right corner (with the card horizontal), of the black name and team box at bottom. This one has been posted about before online.

5) Cards 1-110 appear to have two backs, a bright white and a darker cream. due to toning, it can be hard to tell on some cards, but is often blatantly obvious with 2 cards in hand, if not with scans that adjust color a bit. I never see this noted, but it seems to me this is a major clue in ID'ing the series #'s as well as a variation. I have not confirmed all cards 1-110 exist in both ways, but it sure appears to be the case. EDIT: Cards 111-210 are cream backs only. White backs are the scarcer of the two, 1-110. The cream backs vary in tone somewhat, but don't appear to be a distinctly different stock, they just tone easily. The white backs are, just like the 56 white/gray backs, often discernible simply by feeling the back of the card, it's a smoother and less rough texture. This and the vibrant difference in hand have me convinced it's a significantly different stock.

6?) Curt Roberts is one of the recurring 'misaligned green ink on back' cards, in addition to the Carey and Robertson noted on your site. I would think this affects all cards on a sheet, but it sure seems a handful of cards are the recurring ones, and not the whole set, from what I have seen.

I can post pics of any/all of the above, but none are too rare I think and compressing for the low quality this site requires is kind of a pain

Last edited by G1911; 01-26-2020 at 03:34 AM.