NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 PM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: The 1939 United States Card Collectors Catalog

Lately I've been posting a lot of material that Jefferson Burdick wrote in the early years of Card Collector's Bulletin, which he founded in 1937 as the first periodical devoted to card collecting. After writing several articles about card collecting in Hobbies magazine in 1935 and 1936, Burdick typed up the first issue of Card Collector's Bulletin in January 1937 -- a single sheet, mimeographed on both sides -- and sent it out to 55 people who had written to him about his Hobbies articles. He wrote up three more issues in the next three months (February through April 1937), summarizing what he then knew about the card sets that were out there. He then wrote up four more issues from March to November 1938, sending them to a slowly growing subscriber base, and in the last one he expressed his hope "that a permanent ‘United States Card Collectors Catalog’ may be printed at some future time incorporating a new pricing system and furnishing much additional information about the sets".

Burdick spent most of the first half of 1939 putting together just such a catalog, then having it professionally typeset and printed (in a run of 500 copies). He published it on June 1, 1939 as "The United States Card Collectors Catalog", or "The U.S. Card Collectors Catalog", as it was on the title page. This was the first edition of what became The American Card Catalog, where such designations as T206 and E90-1 originated. This first version was in looseleaf format, with three holes punched in the left margin, so that it could be kept together in a binder and supplements could be added as needed. George Vrechek wrote about the 1939 U.S. Card Collectors Catalog in Sports Collector's Digest in 2012, based on his examination of Leon's copy. That article is available here: http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/US_C...talog_1939.pdf

I also now have a copy, won in the recent REA auction along with issues 1-30 of Card Collector's Bulletin, and so I thought I would scan and post the most important parts of it, to go with all the other early Burdick material I've been posting. It has 80 pages of text, printed on only one side of the page, followed by several blank pages (which apparently contain advertising in other copies), plus supplements from 1940, 1941, and 1942.

The first two scans below are of the cover and the title page, the latter of which shows the screw thingies used to bind the volume and keep the cover attached. Next comes a page showing the sizes of different cards, an index, and a very interesting six-page guide to collecting cards in 1939. Then comes the intro to the section on 19th-century tobacco cards and related things (albums, etc.), and two pages from that section -- the first page, with the Allen & Ginter small cards (including what we know as N28 and N29, here #32 and #33), and the first page of the Goodwin listings, including the Old Judges (here #127). Following that is the intro to the section on 20th century tobacco cards, and the page with all the small-sized sports cards (T200 etc., in modern parlance).

That's all I can put in the body of the post because we're limited to 18 images, but in the comments I'll post some more pages listing sports cards.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 PM
David Kathman

Below is the one-page section on bread cards (D cards in the later catalogs), followed by the intro to the Candy and Gum Cards section, and three pages from that section: sports issues from "old candy and gum" sets (later rechristened E cards, for "early candy and gum"), larger sized "old candy and gum" cards (including Cracker Jacks and the sets we know as E210, E120, and E121), and sports sets from the "recent candy and gum" sets (later rechristened R cards).

Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 AM
Jim

Default Standard Biscuit

Interesting, he list the "large" ones as series of 80 and not 200, although most believe the "large" series of 200 came before the series of 80. Also he referred to most D-cards were produced between 1910-1915.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Kyle May

What is Hustler? He lists it as a back under "White Border".

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-14-2017, 07:14 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
What is Hustler? He lists it as a back under "White Border".
Hustler was one of the brands used with the T59 Flags of All Nations cards, and Burdick mistakenly thought it was also used with T206. This error was perpetuated in the 1946 and 1953 American Card Catalogs, and continued to appear in some T206 checklists and listings after that, notably Frank Nagy's 1962 checklist, which was widely reprinted into the 1970s. See this thread: http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=203207
Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks again for sharing these hobby nuggets of gold, David. I guess it's apropos to add the announcement for it....Burdick wrote this letter to famed collector John Wagner a few days before he did the announcement for the ACC, below. In JR Burdick style, no profit was intended.

**And this "could" be a bit of a new revelation here, it seems Burdick is first thanking Wagner (no relation to the T206 Honus Wagner at all) for giving him a T206 Wagner? If that is the case it has to be the only time in recorded history a T206 Wagner was given away, not part of any promotional contest etc....just given to a collector because he still needed it to fill a hole. Mr. Burdick had only seen one other one at the time.

Last edited by Leon; 06-14-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:51 AM
David Kathman

Leon --

Thanks for posting that awesome Burdick letter to Wagner and the announcement of the US Card Collectors Catalog, which I think you've posted before. I don't see Burdick thanking Wagner for a T206 Wagner in that letter (he thanks him for four unspecified cards, including a Pontifical Standard), but he did thank Wagner for donating a T206 Wagner in the October 1, 1948 CCB, which I posted last week in the "Burdick Collection, 1947-49" thread: http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240887

Last edited by trdcrdkid; 06-14-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

David- I wanted a few others opinions too so started that new thread. "Pontifical Standard" I think might mean the Wags?
I could be wrong but he is thanking him in the present tense as it seems he had only seen one and is seeing another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Leon --

Thanks for posting that awesome Burdick letter to Wagner and the announcement of the US Card Collectors Catalog, which I think you've posted before. I don't see Burdick thanking Wagner for a T206 Wagner in that letter (he thanks him for four unspecified cards, including a Pontifical Standard), but he did thank Wagner for donating a T206 Wagner in the October 1, 1948 CCB, which I posted last week in the "Burdick Collection, 1947-49" thread: http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240887

Last edited by Leon; 06-14-2017 at 08:57 AM.