NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Default Babe Ruth BANNED FROM BASEBALL.... maybe.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...red-babe-ruth/

Imagine what would have happened if Comiskey agrees to this. The possibilities are amazing.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Pup6913

Great read. Wow the turn of events that could have happened. Bet Ol Charles was kicking himself later
Old 09-20-2012, 03:51 PM

I'm a bit slow today... Could you explain why the BABE could be BANNED?
I just am not getting what he could of done that would of BANNED him?

Awesome History Unveiled!!! Very Cool...
Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
I'm a bit slow today... Could you explain why the BABE could be BANNED?
I just am not getting what he could of done that would of BANNED him?

Awesome History Unveiled!!! Very Cool...
I believe the OP is wondering about the 1919 Black Sox scandal. If Ruth was on the team, he most certainly would have been approached by the gamblers.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 09-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Sure... Sure... Now I get!

That makes sense... Very slow today

"Thanks Mike!"
Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Comiskey probably blamed his wife for that....

Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Low Grade Ruth rookie
Signed Wilt Chamberlain rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Mike

Default What If?

If they had been able to close this deal, the potential changes to history are mind-boggling. If Ruth had gone to Chicago, he would not have gone to Boston and, in turn, not have been sold to the Yankees. This scenario opens a litany of unanswerable questions. Here are a few.

1. What would Red Sox fans have used as an excuse for a century of World Series futility without the “Curse of the Bambino”?
2. What would Yankee Stadium have looked like without the short right field porch that was custom-made for the Babe?
3. What would have happened to the Yankee dynasty? Without Ruth’s contributions would they have won the World Series as often during his career in Chicago? Without those World Series victories, would as many ball players chased the dream of being a Yankee and perpetuating the Yankee dominance in the pre-draft era?
4. What would have happened in 1919 with Ruth in Chicago? What if the White Sox won the Series that year? Would “Shoeless Joe” have been one of the first class of H.O.F. inductees? Would all of the following generations of ballplayers have chased the White Sox dream? Would Chicago still be known as the “Second City”?
5. What if the gamblers bought Ruth, causing him to be blacklisted? Without the Babe, would the Deadball era have ended? What would the Baseball landscape have been like without his 714 homers?

I am sure that as I type this, somewhere, somebody is already putting together a first draft of a book based on these and who knows how many more “What-Ifs”. The possibilities are literally endless.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 09-21-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
If they had been able to close this deal, the potential changes to history are mind-boggling. If Ruth had gone to Chicago, he would not have gone to Boston and, in turn, not have been sold to the Yankees. This scenario opens a litany of unanswerable questions. Here are a few.

1. What would Red Sox fans have used as an excuse for a century of World Series futility without the “Curse of the Bambino”?
2. What would Yankee Stadium have looked like without the short right field porch that was custom-made for the Babe?
3. What would have happened to the Yankee dynasty? Without Ruth’s contributions would they have won the World Series as often during his career in Chicago? Without those World Series victories, would as many ball players chased the dream of being a Yankee and perpetuating the Yankee dominance in the pre-draft era?
4. What would have happened in 1919 with Ruth in Chicago? What if the White Sox won the Series that year? Would “Shoeless Joe” have been one of the first class of H.O.F. inductees? Would all of the following generations of ballplayers have chased the White Sox dream? Would Chicago still be known as the “Second City”?
5. What if the gamblers bought Ruth, causing him to be blacklisted? Without the Babe, would the Deadball era have ended? What would the Baseball landscape have been like without his 714 homers?

I am sure that as I type this, somewhere, somebody is already putting together a first draft of a book based on these and who knows how many more “What-Ifs”. The possibilities are literally endless.
Well, who knows if Boston would have been in that drought...would Ruth have even been made a hitter? Lots of differences...
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Had Ruth been on the White Sox, I think he would have been "taken care of" and been more on the Eddie Collins/ Ray Schalk side of the fence .... but who knows!!! Cool article.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Bruce C@rter

Lou Gehrig would gotten to sign on the sweet spot instead of the side panel. LOL
Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
Lou Gehrig would gotten to sign on the sweet spot instead of the side panel. LOL
HAHA nice!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Ted Zanidakis

If I understand what is presented here, then I don't understand Comiskey's thought process in June 1914......

He thought $16,000 was too much for Ruth in 1914. But, in Aug. 1915, Comiskey paid Cleveland $31,500 for Joe Jackson ? ?

Hey guys,
Incidently, the overstated (or over-rated) "Ruth hex" on the Boston AL team all these years (prior to 2004) is really overshadowed by what occurred to Boston in 1904.
The New York Giants (NL Champs) and John McGraw refused to play Boston (AL Champs) in the World Series. So, there was no World Series in 1904 ....and, what I call
the "John McGraw hex" on Boston lasted for exactly 100 years.

TED Z