NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Charles

Default Framing Panoramic Photographs?

I seem to be at a dead end on trying to figure out how to frame a panoramic photograph? Has anyone had luck buying frames big enough to house these photos or are the frames custom made? The photo I am trying to frame is about 9x48. Just trying to get ideas on how other people display them.

Thanks,
CJ
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

you might get lucky and find a frame that might work, but that's not a standard size, and if you want it to look really nice you should probably go ahead and get a custom frame and mat. The good news is that most places that do custom framing have a hugh number of frames with some nice lower end frames that look nice and that won't break the bank. Also, I recommend you spend a little more and get some UV glass so that the photo doesn't fade.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Yard sales, thrift shop or at Home Goods or similar, they carry generic, framed decorations for kitchens, bedrooms etc. Disect it, custom matte and replace the glass with UV. They often have irregular frames that can b painted.

I found a wide, old frame for my Cleve. Pano at Salvation Army for $1.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Jim Murphy

I buy any and all panoramic frames when I see them at yard, garrage and flea market sales. Content doesn't matter it is all for the frame
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Barry Sloate

There are framing shops that make their own frames. If you have one near you, just give them the measurements and they'll customize it for you. We have a shop like that right in our neighborhood.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM

You could frame it without a frame-- meaning behind glass or plexiglass but without the surrounding frame. Someone gave me an old movie poster like that between glass and board and it looks nice and professional.

Last edited by drc; 04-26-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Hi, I bought a reproduction panorama photograph that was pretty large. I priced a bunch of frames but most were just way too expensive. If you have a repro panorama you could cut it in sections and buy borderless frames and hang them with a minimal gap. It looks pretty good. Kinda artsy too. Of course if you have the real deal don't do this. Most real panorama pictures are worth a mint so just pay for a good matte and frame.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Some craft stores have sort of mix-and-match frame sides that are sold in pairs (so if you needed a 7"x48" frame, you would buy a pair of 7" sides and a pair of 48" sides, or slightly larger depending on how you're matting it). Even at that though, I'm not 100% certain that they go up to 48", and you would still have to have glass and matting cut to fit.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Good framers can make the frame to size. They have lengths of material and cut to length.

There's also a system that lets you make semi custom frames yourself. The company sells individual sides in pairs, And they're made to connect with clips that come with them. Glue, clip, wait a day and you've got a frame. I've seen the sides up to about 3 feet long and as short as I think 4 inches. And they have nice depth so you can do a nice mat and backing. The places that sell the frame bits can usually cut the glass too, my local is a framing shop that has regular, UV blocking, and "museum glass" which both blocks UV and limits glare.

It all comes out looking pretty good

Steve B
Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Charles

Thanks for all the help. The photo was very inexpensive so I really didnt want to pay a fortune to frame it but I may have no other choice.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

The sectional frames are inexpensive, And easy. Here's a video on using them.

http://www.michaels.com/Wood-Section...framing-videos

Or the panoramic might fit a frame like this?

http://www.michaels.com/3-opening-bl...s-framing-wall

It comes with a mat that has 3 cutouts. Either swap it for your own, or trim out the cross pieces.

Overall it can be pretty inexpensive if you can do it yourself. The frame I did above was I think maybe 20 for the frame, a couple pieces of matboard at $6 each since I used two colors. The museum glass was the most expensive bit at around $25. plus some incidental stuff like fishing line to hang the medals from and acid free photo corners to hold the paper items. Even if I had to buy the tools like the xacto knife I'd have been under $100 The whole thing took me a couple hours to layout ,cut and assemble.

Steve B
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Heres a look at how I did it with 8x10 frames. real cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0912.jpg (75.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Doug Goodman

Randall - That looks great.
Doug
Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 AM

I got my 44x8 panoramic professionally framed (and chemically treated) for $200

Last edited by theantiquetiger; 04-29-2012 at 08:10 AM.