NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Paul

Default The Grading Pyramid

As I've explained on here a few times, grading is a pyramid. At the top, you have the 10s. 10 means perfection and thus all 10s will be identical. As you go down the pyramid, grades are set for a variety of reasons -- 9s almost all look the same, but 3s, 2s and 1s have a huge number of potential flaws, including paper loss on reverse, creasing, corner wear, etc. What makes a card an SGC 30 could be a variety of factors that tell you nothing about the eye appeal of the card without looking at it.

Professional grading is not designed to reflect eye appeal. It is designed to point out flaws, often hard to see or hidden, in a piece of card board. When you see a clean-looking SGC 30, you actually know there are a lot of hard to see flaws. When you see a badgered up SGC 30, what you see is what you get. But not all SGC 30s will look alike -- in fact, at that level of the "pyramid" you will have a lot of different looking cards.

This becomes problematic when sellers try to sell a PSA 2 for what a previous PSA 2 sold for. Without comparing both cards, going by the number alone gets you nowhere because what you don't know about the previous card is whether the damage was similar or whether the eye-appeal was comparable. Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on a nice looking 2 when a seller is willing to use a previous ugly 2 as a comparable. This is why they say, "Buy the card, not the holder."

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-14-2011, 04:05 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Right On!

Good Job explaining that!! It's always been about eye appeal to me, as long as a card hasn't been altered. I will typically buy a 3 or lower as long as it is nice looking at arms length. (Then of course if they are graded I bust em out). Aloha, David.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 PM
David M.

As I get older, everything has to be held at "arms length" if I want to be able to focus on it.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Barry Sloate

David- I found a solution to that problem: bifocals.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Hear him, hear him!

Lovely Day...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 PM
R Dixon

Default Good Post

This is a really good thread. I'm a low grade collector myself, and when I first started collecting I would use VCP to tell me what a T206 McGraw in a SGC 20 holder should cost. While I'm not knocking the service (I think it's great actually), you really lose accuracy with lower grade cards using average prices or lowest prices paid.

In fact, in my first year or so of collecting, I had a collection of cards (all lower grade) that I had really gotten a great deal on. I had gotten almost all of them for less than the average price paid for the same card/grade. One day I was looking through my collection and I realized that most of my cards were also in less than average condition for the grade.

I guess that's when I realized that all SGC 20's weren't the same. The cool thing is...what bothers me may not bother you and vice versa (sp?). I don't like creases on the face for the most part, but I don't mind paper loss on the front or back of a card if it's in a part of the card that I don't feel like matters as much.

These days I try to really just buy the cards that I like regardless of the grade. That being said, since I don't generally want to spend the money to buy a higher graded card, I just take my time and find a lower graded one that I'm cool with.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 PM

Great thread, Paul !!! I always thought all the grading companies could grade each component separately: corners, surface, centering, back of card, etc,... Then you might be able to compare two different grade 2's.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
It's always been about eye appeal to me, as long as a card hasn't been altered. I will typically buy a 3 or lower as long as it is nice looking at arms length. (Then of course if they are graded I bust em out). Aloha, David.
Me too. I just bought 3 Brooklyn Dodger Bowmans that grade a 3 and i cant for the life of me see why they didnt get a much higher grade, really much higher. I love when i can find what i feel are under-graded cards since they are lower in cost and still have that great eye-appeal.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 AM
T0dd M@rcum

rdixon, you are right on. I actually am working on a t206 set that is best charactarized as 1s. There are 1s that look good and 1s that look bad...and they are worth a different amount of money, in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Christopher Herman

Having dealt and traded with Paul, I can tell you that he has a sharp eye when it comes to a card's aesthetic merits. His insight and explanation here is valuable to both the rookie and veteran collector. Well done, Paul.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Economy and the Pyramid

My Grading Contest may have inspired this thread, as the point is to demonstrate the lack of correlation between the esthetics and the grade.
I too am happy to find lower graded examples that look good, because they generally cost less. I buy BVG cards as well, because their grading is tough and because there is often price break between comparably graded (PSA,SGC) and BVG cards.

I may be sorry when it comes to selling my collection as PSA and SGC are the major players in the graded vintage card market. I have never cracked a slab or submitted a crossover, so that is not my motivation. I just want the best cards for the money.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
My Grading Contest may have inspired this thread, as the point is to demonstrate the lack of correlation between the esthetics and the grade.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Joe

I absolutely love low grade cards with great eye appeal. All I can say to all TPGers, keep grading them low for us arm pit collectors.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Joe

Not prewar but beauties non the less.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I don't get the grade on this one?

Last edited by atx840; 12-16-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Daryl

Default Pickering

Chris, that's the "Micro Cumulonimbus" variation.