NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Bill T.

Default Moving House w/ a Card Collection

Hi, All,

I may be looking at a long-distance move in the next couple months (for a great job opp, not f/c). Have any of you ever done the same? Can you share your experiences/lessons about logistics, security, insurance, etc?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
jim quinlisk

I helped my father in law move from PA to NM last summer. We sent the normal stuff in a moving van, including cards that didn't matter. The cards that didn't matter went in blue tubs from walmart, we wrapped them with tape and they all arrived safely.

We put the expensive cards in a gun safe, strapped it down on the floor of a ford van, and piled stuff on top of it. Bed frames, mattresses, etc. Filled the van from top to bottom and side to side. Looking thru the windows you would never have thought there was anything valuable in there.

We slept in the van at a well lit truck/rest stop. If we had gotten a room we wouldn't have slept any better.

We sold the van for a few hundred more than we paid for it, covered most of the gas cost.

It was uncomfortable, but we took about 30K worth of cards across the country safely for a couple days of inconvenience.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I've moved several times, as I spent 20+ years in the US Air Force. When those times came, similar to what jimq said, all my lesser cards (those in binders) went with the moving van. I put all my higher value graded stuff in the trunk of my car, and in the back seat covered with miscellaneous stuff and blankets. I would only stop for gas, and bought drinks and snacks I could eat in the car as I drove. When I'd stop for the night on a multi-day drive, I'd always stop at an Air Force base and get a room in base lodging.

The only issues I ever had was once when the movers decided to use my TV/stereo wall unit as a "ladder", and broke the top shelf of it when one of 'em climbed on top of it The other time was when a 3'x3'x3' box came up missing upon delivery. A week or so later, I got a phone call from the movers (a husband/wife team) telling me they had found the box during a subsequent delivery. They mailed the box to me a few days later (it contained kitchenware/pots & pans).

Steve
Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

^^I've moved several times. Seems likes each time I load up more of my car with 'personal items' - cough cough - cards............^^ Funny how that works...
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Michael S

I moved in 2003 about 900 miles across the country and it was a regular trains, planes and automobile's episode. I had my parents house located in the middle of the move that saved me but it was not fun. It was a company/job move but there was no way I was trusting the moving van.

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 09-02-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 PM

CIA (link on this site) will insure a collection in transit. Price varies depending on value and the number of days in transit. This may only be a service they offer if you already have your collection insured through them, but it is worth a call.
JimB
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Bill T.

Thanks for the advice, guys. If this comes to pass, I'll be going about 1200 miles, so more than a day's drive. (I know, what a wuss.) Fortunately, I'd be driving a Town Car, with enough trunk room to hide Jimmy Hoffa.

Bill