NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 PM

Default New Member-Not Sure Where I'm Going With My Collection

Hello all! I just joined up a couple of days ago. I used to be a big collector of sports cards,etc...but lost my passion for it some where around 1995. Had enough and quit cold turkey. Stored the collection away and became interested in other things.
Advance to the present day and I am having some interest stirring again. I ran across some of the Topps reprints of the last few years and remembered how much I was in to collecting. The bulk of my collecting interest was from the 50's through the 70's. My mom didn't throw my cards out and I had a large collection to start up with as a adult. I also then collected 80's and 90's cards up to the time I quit.
So in about a week or so, I will be going to my first show since probably 1994 in NE Ohio. I don't know what to expect at this point. After the show, I'm going to open up the safe, the tubs, the binders and the boxes, and see what I have there. It's been a long time.
I may have a lot of questions in the future depending on where this all takes me. Card grading was just really coming in to vogue when I gave it up so I will have to get a handle on that. I'm pretty sure that I will have no interest in present day players and card sets. I like the older stuff. Some of those reprints seem pretty cool though. Thanks Leon for helping to get me signed up.
Until later,
the Rock

Last edited by the Rock; 03-28-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

First, let me say welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. Your story is very familiar to mine. Myadvise is take some time to look through your old stuff. Enjoy the memories and remember what it was you lovedabout the hobby.
The show could be a bit overwhelming but if you go with a open mind and the knoledge you have a good "starter" collection at home you may really enjoy yourself.
Again welcome back!
Drew
Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Welcome Rock! That's good advice from Drew, also spend some time perusing the archives here if you'd like. Huge amounts of great info.

Last edited by Ease; 03-29-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default welcome and thanks

Welcome to the board and thanks for being careful where you are posting. I moved this to the main board to get you a bit more feedback. Happy collecting!!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Steve Birmingham

Welcome back to the hobby.

I sort of stopped around 2000, for similar reasons. Plus I got into another sort of sports collecting.

A lot has changed. Some for the better, some not.

Probably best if you discover those on your own and decide which things you like.

You've found the right place if the modern stuff stopped doing much for you.

Steve B
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Matt Wieder

"Welcome to The Rock!"
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Barry Arnold

Default rock

welcome aboard.
you've found a great vintage home.
all the best,
barry
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Agree with Barry

Welcome

Frank
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Welcome!

Welcome, you're certainly in the right place.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Scott

Yes, Welcome. This board has great sections on cards, memorabilia and general discussion. Plus, lots of knowledgable people on here in different areas, plus chances to buy and auctions too. Buy what you like, can afford, and enjoy. Thats the best advice
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Recurring theme

Amazing how many of us have been through similar stints away from the hobby. I sold 95% of my collection in 1998 via Superior Sports Auctions. I stayed away until about 5 years ago (got divorced and found money). I am back into the T206's and at about 400 and hoping to be at 450.

Enjoy the show. My advice would be to walk the show with very little money unless you truly know a direction you want to go. Otherwise you could end up all over the board on purchases.

Enjoy !!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Larry

Default Don't overlook the archives!

Welcome, "Rock." As prior posters have noted, you are certainly in the right place, as the cumulative knowledge and experience of these guys is probably unbeatable, with tremendous willingness to help. The "search" function should prove invaluable for acquiring knowledge with regard to an incredible number of topics and/or cards. There's a saying in coins, "buy the book before the coin," meaning its awfully hard to beat the acquistion of knowledge when trying to make sensible purchases in whatever direction you decide to go in.

May your collecting endeavors always prove rewarding!

Larry
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the nice welcome to the group and the sage advice. The hobby seems to have changed greatly over the years. I will take it slow and have a good long look before I jump back in. I am sure that I will have some questions as time goes by.
Thanks again,
the Rock
Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Jimmy

Default New Member-Not Sure Where I'm Going With My Collection

Welcome to the best hobby forum on the web!

Jimmy