NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1920 to 1949 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Default FS: 1939 R-Uncat Name on chest cards (Rare doesn't do these justice)

I have decided to potentially part with a few of these cards. I am not looking to sell them all and will decide (if there is interest) as to which ones I will keep for my own personal collection based on interest.

The word RARE gets thrown around a lot in this hobby but these cards are essentially one-of-a-kind at this point and RARE doesn't even really do them justice. These cards are possibly among the most beautiful (in my opinion) and rarest 20th century card sets ever made.

There was an extensive thread about these cards a few years back on the forum, please see here:
http://net54baseball.com/showthread....t=1939+unknown

As described in the original thread these all came out of a 1939 scrapbook that included an entire 1939 Cubs Team Issue set and many other period newspaper articles, ticket stubs, programs, etc. Everything in the scrapbook was from Chicago & dates specifically to the year 1939. These cards are apparently some sort of an uncatalogued set dating to 1939 (based on Bonura being issued w/ the Giants--his only year with the team) that were available in the Chicago area. I have personally given them the title of 1939 R-Uncat myself so they are not currently catalogued anywhere under that title. Every card here was soaked out of the scrapbook, with only the French exhibiting any damage--he has a paper pull on back that is not detached, all cards were soaked with no damage or evidence of having been soaked evident on front or back. All cards other from this series that have ever been found (other than the ones I have here) exhibit a pair of staple holes at top--probably due to the way they were issued. All but two of my cards are extremely thick cardboard, the Mize and Travis are on thinner paper stock, however they are all exactly the same size and from the same initial source. I still own the scrapbook these came from and the Bonura was never soaked from the page as evidence of where they came from.

These all appear to be pristine due to the fact that they were pasted into the book immediately after they were obtained, and not bouncing around in a shoebox for the last 70 years. Again, these are the only examples from this rare set that don't exhibit the staple holes evident on every other example that has ever been discovered. These are all 100% factory cut and all measure the same (shown here at roughly actual size), there is no indication that these were hand-cut.

I really don't mind if these don't sell and would be happy to keep them forever, that being said should I sell them these are the prices I would need to get for them (color in parenthesis refers to background color):

Zeke Bonura (Blue White) -still attached to the original scrapbook page (unsoaked) $895
Rick Ferrell (Black) Hall of Famer $1795
Larry French (Orange) paper pull on back $825 Sale Pending
Stanley Hack (Purple White) $895
Buddy Lewis (White) Faint crease on back $895
Johnny Mize (Orange) Hall of Famer $1995
Cecil Travis (Dark Blue) $995

Again, keep in mind that I will be keeping some of these for myself and I reserve the right to choose which ones I keep based on any demand (I will keep one of the HOFers so if one sells the other will be kept in my personal collection)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 04-26-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Neal

When I click on some of the links on your site I just get

Sorry, the GeoCities web site you were trying to reach is no longer available.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Rhett Yeakley

When I first started my website a few years back it was a free Geocities site, and all pictures that were hosted under the free site were lost when GeoCities was closed by Yahoo, I am still in the process of replacing images lost at that time, so if there is something specific you would like to see I'll re-scan them and add the images to the website.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562