NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:08 AM
GaryPassamonte

If I were a wronged party, I would care much more about restitution than length of sentence. It is like putting the cart before the horse. Why does this happen so frequently?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
If I were a wronged party, I would care much more about restitution than length of sentence. It is like putting the cart before the horse. Why does this happen so frequently?
Gary, I think if you bid in their auctions you were a wronged party. I told Mastro's lawyer I expected restitution and an apology and I would think about a letter. Nothing has changed (except a small gift in the mail which was appreciated).
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Gary, I think if you bid in their auctions you were a wronged party. I told Mastro's lawyer I expected restitution and an apology and I would think about a letter. Nothing has changed (except a small gift in the mail which was appreciated).
So he tried, in effect, to buy a favorable letter to the judge? Or was he just sending you a gift in a generous spirit?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
He's not paying you restitution.

He sent you the gift in the mail to try to stop you from writing a letter to the court about his stealing from his friends -- solely because he doesn't want the judge to sentence him to a longer sentence.

Once he's sentenced and he doesn't need to manipulate you anymore the gifts in the mail will stop.

Last edited by calvindog; 06-30-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

If someone tried to bribe or influence me with a gift, I would like to think I would return it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Here's what Bill said about the letters to the judge written by his victims and the anger some of them have displayed:

"I have no idea where such resentment comes from but to date my judge has received 2 letters….2! I had over 30,000 people on our mailing list and 2 people wrote letters."

So Bill believes that his victims apparently approve of his criminal actions because they are not writing to the judge.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Here's what Bill said about the letters to the judge written by his victims and the anger some of them have displayed:

"I have no idea where such resentment comes from but to date my judge has received 2 letters….2! I had over 30,000 people on our mailing list and 2 people wrote letters."

So Bill believes that his victims apparently approve of his criminal actions because they are not writing to the judge.
Since letters are sometimes made public, and a certain HUGE fraudster with his own website might get them and twist them as he often does, maybe people don't want to speak out? I don't think anyone can guarantee a letter won't be made public, can they? (except the judge I guess)
Old 06-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Since letters are sometimes made public, and a certain HUGE fraudster with his own website might get them and twist them as he often does, maybe people don't want to speak out? I don't think anyone can guarantee a letter won't be made public, can they? (except the judge I guess)
You can ask that your letter not be publicly docketed and just provided to the parties instead.

And Pete Nash is going to rip you or not rip you regardless of what you do here. And honestly, Leon, I wouldn't be surprised if he gives you hell for this thread alone.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
He's not paying you restitution.

He sent you the gift in the mail to try to stop you from writing a letter to the court about his stealing from his friends -- solely because he doesn't want the judge to sentence him to a longer sentence.

Once he's sentenced and he doesn't need to manipulate you anymore the gifts in the mail will stop.
I know Jeff. My views haven't changed concerning writing a letter. I have said AFTER restitution (it would have to be for all affected not just me) AND a public apology I would think about it. Since the first isn't going to happen I think it's analogous to arguing moot points with my wife. I am very practiced at it though.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I know Jeff. My views haven't changed concerning writing a letter. I have said AFTER restitution (it would have to be for all affected not just me) AND a public apology I would think about it. Since the first isn't going to happen I think it's analogous to arguing moot points with my wife. I am very practiced at it though.
I think you and Jeff are talking about two completely different types of letters.

Are you referring to a letter which speaks positively about Mastro, which you would write after restitution and an apology?

Jeff is referring to writing a letter now, to the judge, explaining how you and/or the hobby were damaged by Mastro's fraudulent activities. These letters may be critical to send now, before sentencing, since it appears Bill will get off without having to pay any restitution as it now stands.

Last edited by CW; 06-30-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I think you and Jeff are talking about two completely different types of letters.

Are you referring to a letter which speaks positively about Mastro, which you would write after restitution and an apology?

Jeff is referring to writing a letter now, to the judge, explaining how you and/or the hobby were damaged by Mastro's fraudulent activities. These letters may be critical to send now, before sentencing, since it appears Bill will get off without having to pay any restitution as it now stands.
Yes, Bill isn't sending any gifts to collectors for a letter to the judge which tell the truth about him. He's hoping for either a positive letter or no letter at all. Certainly not the truth.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:33 AM
GaryPassamonte

Why isn't restitution the first part of any judgement. If wronged, I would want to be compensated for that wrong. I couldn't care less if the party goes to jail or not.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Why isn't restitution the first part of any judgement. If wronged, I would want to be compensated for that wrong. I couldn't care less if the party goes to jail or not.
Address your letter to:

Judge Ronald A. Guzman
219 South Dearborn Street
Chicago, Illinois 60604

The case name is U.S. v. Mastro, 1:12-cr-00567.

Last edited by calvindog; 06-30-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Pretty hard to calculate and administer in a case like this with so many bidders oand so many lots over so many years, I would imagine.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Pretty hard to calculate and administer in a case like this with so many bidders oand so many lots over so many years, I would imagine.
5 million dollar lifetime fine split over everyone that bid, just like a class action that has been awarded *(in layperson terms).....that is a start.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
5 million dollar lifetime fine split over everyone that bid, just like a class action that has been awarded *(in layperson terms).....that is a start.
In a class action, to collect you typically have to submit a proof of claim. There is a whole administrative process. And there's no way every lot was shilled such that every bidder would have a claim.

Closed Thread