NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2022, 07:28 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Why does Heritage say that the card is the Finest Known Example? It's graded SGC 9.5 which is a Mint+. In a recent SCD article written about Marshall Fogel. He says that he owns a PSA 10 version of that card which is a Gem Mint.

I always thought that a Gem Mint was better than a Mint+. So, wouldn't that mean the card owned by Fogel is considered the Finest Known Example?

I wouldn't mind owning either one of the 2 cards but I am just curious.
I believe they are using Rosen's 1991 direct quote which at the time was the "finest known example".
Old 07-26-2022, 08:08 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I think this SGC 9.5 Example has the best centering and blue color out of the three PSA 10's. All are beautiful :-) and deserve their said assigned grades.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I think this SGC 9.5 Example has the best centering and blue color out of the three PSA 10's. All are beautiful :-) and deserve their said assigned grades.
It's sometimes hard to judge color on these due to scan/picture settings, particularly Heritage's.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:40 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's sometimes hard to judge color on these due to scan/picture settings, particularly Heritage's.
Bingo! (Not saying this nice Mantle....) Heritage has a separate photoshop team enhancing their images.... creases can disappear, faded colors got enhanced to pack fresh stage.

Last edited by chriskim; 07-26-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:38 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
I believe they are using Rosen's 1991 direct quote which at the time was the "finest known example".
Well I believe it's assumed all of the very high grade Mantles came from that find. Rosen is probably the last one to see them all together. But the flip could also be referring to this being the finest SGC graded example.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:32 AM
Matt

Jesse, the flip is referring to and quoting Rosen's words from the letter he wrote about this very card. It's a nod to the provenance, as opposed to a reference from SGC about the card's grade. Just clarifying.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:05 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Jesse, the flip is referring to and quoting Rosen's words from the letter he wrote about this very card. It's a nod to the provenance, as opposed to a reference from SGC about the card's grade. Just clarifying.
Makes sense. Since he did see them all together he would have had the best chance to identify the finest example. Hard to imagine a better looking 52 Mantle. If I hit tonight's mega millions I will be bidding.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:42 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

While it was eons ago, I remember well opening multiple packs of the last series '52 Topps, or as many as my meagre allowance at the time would allow, in a vain search for the Mick. My hometown growing up was Schenectady, NY, which seemed to have been blessed with an abundance of the ultimate series due to whatever geographical distribution Topps planned. I found Campy, Pee Wee, Jackie and Eddie without any trouble, but, oh, that Mantle eluded me. I already had the '51 Bowman, which I had found in a pack the prior year when the cards bug infected me (still infected) and knew i had to have the '52 Topps. Despite all the time since then, I have never owned one. Ted, you were one lucky Dude when you grabbed that mystical pack. If it couldn't be me, I am glad it was you. John
Old 07-26-2022, 12:34 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
While it was eons ago, I remember well opening multiple packs of the last series '52 Topps, or as many as my meagre allowance at the time would allow, in a vain search for the Mick. My hometown growing up was Schenectady, NY, which seemed to have been blessed with an abundance of the ultimate series due to whatever geographical distribution Topps planned. I found Campy, Pee Wee, Jackie and Eddie without any trouble, but, oh, that Mantle eluded me. I already had the '51 Bowman, which I had found in a pack the prior year when the cards bug infected me (still infected) and knew i had to have the '52 Topps. Despite all the time since then, I have never owned one. Ted, you were one lucky Dude when you grabbed that mystical pack. If it couldn't be me, I am glad it was you. John
John, thanks for sharing this insight into what it was like back then. Truly, alongside Ted's experience, one of the coolest perspectives I've absorbed here. Many of us born in the 70s and 80s, who grew up staring at the 52T set in the likes of Beckett and CCP guides, have imagined as boys (and even as men!) opening those packs when they were the current cards out. Amazing.

Best,

MC
Old 07-26-2022, 02:55 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

There appears to be a stain on the top center. Still a sharp card. 9.5....ok

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 PM
David M.

I see what you're talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Mantle SGC 9.5 Discoloration Top Middle.jpg (199.5 KB, 707 views)
Old 07-26-2022, 06:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I see what you're talking about.
Geez, all of the Mantles cards I've had graded come back with ("MEH") on the label.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:13 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Definitely curious that SGC was used. I think that is a huge boost to SGC since i cannot recall a top top card like this in an SGC holder. Any others?
Old 07-27-2022, 05:23 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

It's a great card, but there is toning/staining that just cant be ignored. Someone will buy the flip for the bragging rights.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-27-2022, 05:50 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
It's a great card, but there is toning/staining that just cant be ignored. Someone will buy the flip for the bragging rights.
Agreed about the stains and agreed this card will be about the bragging rights

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-27-2022, 05:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Since Multiple people are brining up staining... I have one question to them, What grade would you give it?? To me, this card deserves a SGC 9.5.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-27-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:34 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Since Multiple people are brining up staining... I have one question to them, What grade would you give it?? To me, this card deserves a SGC 9.5.
If I had submitted it I would have been hoping for an 8. That's what I would have graded it myself. And a fine looking 8 it would be.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 07-27-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:48 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
SGC’s standards seem to make it a 7 at best.

A card better than mint does not have obvious and significant staining, under any grading companies criteria.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 AM
Matt

Quote:
I could not agree more. To my eyes, this card is one of the prettiest 311s I have ever seen, with the toning in that top border or not. I see this as a case of the card meriting the grade and not someone merely buying a flip. I think if someone is paying attention to the flip on this one, they are focusing their eyes on the wrong thing. It's a beautiful card IMO.

Also, in my experience, a flaw like the one that has been pointed out— such things seem glaring when enlarged in a scan, yet in hand, in real, daily life, they are not bothersome, at least to me. I've been on the fence about cards from something I became fixated on in a scan, and then when I received the card in hand, I was happily impressed by how what I thought could have been an issue for me was no issue at all. In short, scans and enlargements can often be distorting/misleading. My hunch is that is the case with this beauty and that in hand it would not disappoint.

In sum, I just cannot hate on this card. As a huge proponent of "buy the card" and someone who has never needed high grade to be totally satisfied, if I had the means I would buy this one in a heartbeat and love looking at it in hand every day til I croaked.

Last edited by MattyC; 07-27-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:21 PM
Wayne V

Default Highest priced card -T206 Wagner SGC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
Definitely curious that SGC was used. I think that is a huge boost to SGC since i cannot recall a top top card like this in an SGC holder. Any others?
SGC already has the highest priced card ever sold, the SGC 3 T206 Wagner that sold last year in REA.
With this card, SGC will have the two highest ever. Take that, PSA.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:45 PM
Wayne V

Default 6.6 million

Here's the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2022-07-27-18-36-57-1.jpg (114.7 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg item_86408_2_202020.jpg (196.9 KB, 461 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 06:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
SGC already has the highest priced card ever sold, the SGC 3 T206 Wagner that sold last year in REA.
Yes but it won't change the fact that 90 percent of cards in SGC holders will sell for less, and frequently much less, than the equivalent PSA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:15 PM

My guess is that this guy might want it for display in New York:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cohen_(businessman)
Old 07-27-2022, 06:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
My guess is that this guy might want it for display in New York:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cohen_(businessman)
He is a part owner of PSA though.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
Doesn't Ken Kendrick still own the Gretzky T206 Wagner, and a PSA10 '52 Topps Mantle? Wait till he passes and those come up for sale and then we'll see about which TPG has the most expensive cards ever sold. LOL
Old 07-27-2022, 08:53 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Doesn't Ken Kendrick still own the Gretzky T206 Wagner, and a PSA10 '52 Topps Mantle? Wait till he passes and those come up for sale and then we'll see about which TPG has the most expensive cards ever sold. LOL
If they get sold. Ken's been on record multiple times saying his cards will remain with him until death at which point his son inherits them. And, like any respectable red blooded teenage American boy, it's been had on good authority that the junior Kendrick isn't ever selling THE Honus Wagner card!
Old 07-27-2022, 11:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
If they get sold. Ken's been on record multiple times saying his cards will remain with him until death at which point his son inherits them. And, like any respectable red blooded teenage American boy, it's been had on good authority that the junior Kendrick isn't ever selling THE Honus Wagner card!
Figures. LOL

My guess is that card is not just famous, it is now infamous due to the Mastro story and his imprisonment, and would likely eclipse the price of any other card ever sold.

Plus, aren't there actually three different PSA 10 Mantles from the '52 Topps set, all with no qualifiers? Chances are one of the other two will eventually show up for sale then. Can only guess what one of those would possibly bring at auction.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:50 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default No longer for sale…

Sorry to disappoint but I just had to get this one so bought it from Heritage while I was at their booth today…

(Had to increase my credit limit just a smidge)

Last edited by Belfast1933; 07-27-2022 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Showing credit card number, doh!