NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2021, 04:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Peter its systemic nothing is ever going to change
Right, nobody is going to come out and say I trimmed this card or removed creases or added color, which to me proves that all the talk about how it's acceptable in the hobby now is a crock.

If it was so acceptable there would be no need for deception.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-14-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Right, nobody is going to come out and say I trimmed this card or removed creases or added color, which to me proves that all the talk about how it's acceptable in the hobby now is a crock.

If it was so acceptable there would be no need for deception.
Do you think that soaking also falls into this category? There are many posts on this forum about soaking, or how to safely remove a card that is in a scrapbook or glued to something.

Is there a difference in whether or not a person is doing these things with the intention of selling it later?
Old 04-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I know nobody Cares But another CJ Joe Jackson was discovered on Blowout the other day from a 4 SGC to a 7 SGC...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1460488

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-16-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I know nobody Cares But another CJ Joe Jackson was discovered on Blowout the other day from a 4 SGC to a 7 SGC...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1460488
The list keeps growing.

Yawn.

I guess Mr. Calderon, who clearly knows how to post here (see below), isn't going to this time.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...light=calderon

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-17-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:58 PM
Chase

Quote:
The list keeps growing.

Yawn.

I guess Mr. Calderon, who clearly knows how to post here (see below), isn't going to this time.

I will post on his behalf...

We had all the cards reviewed by SGC and they feel they are graded accurately.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I will post on his behalf...

We had all the cards reviewed by SGC and they feel they are graded accurately.
LOL.
Oh wait, maybe it's not so funny.
This hobby is a cluster fork.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
LOL.
Oh wait, maybe it's not so funny.
This hobby is a cluster fork.
It takes a massive amount of tolerance, ignorance or denial to buy cards like these after what has been uncovered. If the card is worth real money you almost have to assume it has been messed with.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:21 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
The list keeps growing.

Yawn.

It appears that Heritage gets a free pass with a lot of people. If this same thread was about pwcc the post count would be in the hundreds.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
It appears that Heritage gets a free pass with a lot of people. If this same thread was about pwcc the post count would be in the hundreds.
I don't know Pat, my impression is that people aren't even interested in PWCC any more. Hardly a word about their move to hiding bidder IDs, for example. Or about the complete lack of impact all the Blowout revelations have had on them.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-18-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Or that people posted the ESPN article quoting Jesse Craig and nobody responded back with "Salt of the Earth."

BTW, here are some of the outed trimmers that have booths at the NSCC this year, if it happens:
Johnny Adams Jr Booth Number: #632 #636
Buy Nice Cards.Com Booth Number : #560 Eric Bitz
PWCC Marketplace Booth Number : #2452 #2448 #2353 #2349 Betsy Huigens
Triple sSs Sportscard Booth Number : #525 #624 Mike Skerbe
Metro Sports Cards Booth Number : #2333 Brandon Taing
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
Do you think that soaking also falls into this category? There are many posts on this forum about soaking, or how to safely remove a card that is in a scrapbook or glued to something.

Is there a difference in whether or not a person is doing these things with the intention of selling it later?
Soaking is a somewhat contentious issue.
Given time, most old scrapbooks will damage the cards.

My wife and I are currently working on soaking a scrapbook of tradecards. A hobby where at least the pricing is similar to where baseball cards were 40 years ago. The pages made the cards brittle, and some have taken pretty serious damage.

There's always a fine line between preservation/conservation and altering.

That's also true in other hobbies.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post

Soaking is part of a long hobby tradition, and is the only way vast amounts of material stuck in scrapbooks could have been made available. And to the best of my knowledge it typically causes no harm.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-17-2021 at 08:00 PM.