NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2022, 06:26 AM
Brett
Banned

Default S/O to this eBay seller/ and whoever messed with it

I’m normally not someone to go some rants or tangents but this just annoys me. Assuming the seller is telling the somewhat truth, this just seems unethical to me. Either way this seller sucks, to me once I pay your BIN whether a good deal or not it should be binding. I have a good feeling that someone on the thread turned around and messed with as well (again assuming seller is not full of it.. has 100% so who knows). Would like to get some thoughts on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8A08FE8F-8A52-4842-8771-391F261E8F82.jpg (185.4 KB, 1032 views)
Old 12-16-2022, 06:37 AM

I'm a little confused.

First off, yes it would be unethical at the least to not accept your bid, pretty sure eBay rules say its a binding contract once the BIN is hit (outside of some obvious error in the listing).

And very odd for a seller who deals in sports cards and who in his description mentions how rare the card is and the pop report that he had no idea that the card was quite valuable. So, that doesn't jive to me.

I don't get where you say someone in this thread is messing with you, what does that mean?

Rob
Old 12-16-2022, 06:42 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobba View Post
I'm a little confused.

First off, yes it would be unethical at the least to not accept your bid, pretty sure eBay rules say its a binding contract once the BIN is hit (outside of some obvious error in the listing).

And very odd for a seller who deals in sports cards and who in his description mentions how rare the card is and the pop report that he had no idea that the card was quite valuable. So, that doesn't jive to me.

I don't get where you say someone in this thread is messing with you, what does that mean?

Rob
Same question on the thread..
311-407 PSA 6
Old 12-16-2022, 06:59 AM
Brett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobba View Post
I'm a little confused.

Rob
I’m just annoyed, but in the past it was someone who a member here. It is is what it is I have no idea but I’m just annoyed lol
Old 12-16-2022, 07:00 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Don’t walk

RUN!

The odds are good that this seller doesn’t even own this item, and is just trying to get you to contact them offline to do an even bigger deal.

Either that, or they are trying to get you to bid against yourself.

Either way, you don’t want anything to do with this seller.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-16-2022, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKaufmann14 View Post
I’m just annoyed, but in the past it was someone who a member here. It is is what it is I have no idea but I’m just annoyed lol
Is it a rare back? The price is probably about right for a common one. I would file a report with Ebay. I don't think they allow what he did. I would show them the message too. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2022, 07:09 AM
Brett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Is it a rare back? The price is probably about right for a common one. I would file a report with Ebay. I don't think they allow what he did. I would show them the message too. Good luck!
Cycle 460… was underpriced but not my fault they didn’t do the research on it. They posted the pop report to lol
Old 12-16-2022, 07:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Cycle 460… was underpriced but not my fault they didn’t do the research on it. They posted the pop report to lol
That sucks. Yeah, if they knew enough to check a pop report you would think they would do just a little more googling to find the approximate value. And it could have been someone on here. Never, ever post an ebay buy until you have it in hand. This has happened so, so many times.

Last edited by Leon; 12-16-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:13 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Had you posted the auction here? It's a common theme that happens.

Also, ZERO, and I mean ZERO chance of anything aside from a Ebay slap on the wrist will happen.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-16-2022, 07:15 AM
Brett
Banned

I never posted that I won the card. Woke up to this message after I won it last night. I love this hobby
Old 12-16-2022, 07:26 AM
P@trick R.omolo

That stinks Brett I've had it happen to me. There's a member who hardly ever posts that does this a lot (makes a higher offer on a card that has already sold below value) the funny thing is that he includes a business card when you purchase something from him with his email and if you contact him about a card he has listed on ebay through that email his reply is he only will only sell through ebay.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:50 AM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

has happened to me also. it’s sucks but you can’t make them ship the item. just move on.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:57 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I’m sure what they are saying is somewhat accurate, minus the family sale part.

Seller has a ton of cards for sale. Modern and vintage. They f’d up and someone probably messaged offering a lot more.

Last edited by notfast; 12-16-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:09 AM
Brett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
has happened to me also. it’s sucks but you can’t make them ship the item. just move on.
Someone also posted last night saying that this was a steal. About 10 min later i get a message from the seller canceling. I wish people would not post stuff like that, really a shame all around.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

Had it happen once, won an auction for a 3 card lot at a great price, paid, then a couple days later they claimed it sold at a show over the weekend.

They offered my choice of their fake autographs instead but if it was more I had to pay the difference.
I reported them.

I doubt much happened, but they were pretty much off ebay a couple months later.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:31 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Someone also posted last night saying that this was a steal. About 10 min later i get a message from the seller canceling. I wish people would not post stuff like that, really a shame all around.
I saw that and I can easily assume that brought out the wolves.

Still would put 99% percent of blame on a classless seller. The same has happened to me, more than once. Unless it's an egregious error like posting a 99 cent BIN, when it was meant as an auction, this should get a suspension...but we know that will never happen.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:32 AM
Ben North

Pretty sure most of this has had it happen, I know I have multiple times over the years.

Main thing is never for any reason tell a single person about the auction before you have the item in hand.

They will do nothing to the seller, I know a one seller that does it with every card they didn't like the final price on.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:57 AM

Default Share ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Pretty sure most of this has had it happen, I know I have multiple times over the years.

Main thing is never for any reason tell a single person about the auction before you have the item in hand.

They will do nothing to the seller, I know a one seller that does it with every card they didn't like the final price on.

..If you could please share with us the seller's E-Bay handle , I know a moderator on here would would gratefully buy you a corndog and a Diet Pepsi at the next National .

Old 12-16-2022, 09:21 AM
octavio ranzola

Man its ebay nuff said
Old 12-16-2022, 02:45 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Leave a neg

Greenberg collection
Old 12-16-2022, 02:48 PM

This:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329063
Old 12-16-2022, 02:59 PM
Doug Goodman

I bought a ticket to the game where Mark McGwire hit #62 from a guy outside the stadium for $40. Shook hands. Pulled money out of my pocket and was handing it to him when somebody said "I'll give you $100" and the guy instantly turned around and sold it to that guy.

A few minutes late I bought this one for $25...

So sometimes it turns out ok, but that first guy is still an ***hole.

Doug "learning not to cuss online" Goodman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1998-09-08-Cardinals-Cubs-ticket McGwire 62 - I SAW.jpg (188.0 KB, 770 views)
Old 12-16-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I bought a ticket to the game where Mark McGwire hit #62 from a guy outside the stadium for $40. Shook hands. Pulled money out of my pocket and was handing it to him when somebody said "I'll give you $100" and the guy instantly turned around and sold it to that guy.

A few minutes late I bought this one for $25...

So sometimes it turns out ok, but that first guy is still an ***hole.

Doug "learning not to cuss online" Goodman
You should have told the seller to his face that he was an ***hole, and then dared him to do anything about it.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:48 PM
Fred

Is this the same card that was the subject of a thread earlier today indicating "congrats to somebody on ebay"? The thread has since been edited and the content removed.

I always thought a closed on auction on ebay was a binding contract. What does ebay do to winning bidders that don't follow through on a purchase?

If I were the family that consigned through the seller, I'd be concerned because who knows what else is going to be sold under priced.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:58 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I always thought a closed on auction on ebay was a binding contract. What does ebay do to winning bidders that don't follow through on a purchase?
They say that but I don't believe that's the case. I've had buyers not pay it's not clear to me that they do anything. Supposedly they give them an "unpaid item strike" (whatever that means) but there doesn't seem to be much transparency around that.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-16-2022, 04:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

309. Poach Roach
After hitting ‘Buy-It-Now’ and sending payment for a card, you receive a message informing you the seller has cancelled the transaction and refunded your money...and you know full well it’s because someone contacted this unscrupulous seller and offered him more money for the card.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:32 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Have you contacted eBay to see if there any recourse on this?
Or is that hopeless?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-16-2022, 04:57 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Have you contacted eBay to see if there any recourse on this?
Or is that hopeless?
If the seller backs out it’s over. eBay can’t make them go through with the transaction. A good idea would be to make any sale disappear after conclusion for 24-48hr so others can’t mess with it. It happens a lot, even with auctions.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:06 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

For us non-attorneys…maybe one of you that are can hop in:

Offer/acceptance/consideration..and a message verifying all of that and but still pulls out for a higher offer.
Is that possible?..I think of real estate and specific performance.

Appears a claim could be for thousands of dollars if pursued?? Would love insight just out of curiosity.
311-407 PSA 6
Old 12-16-2022, 05:35 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post

Offer/acceptance/consideration..and a message verifying all of that and but still pulls out for a higher offer.

Appears a claim could be for thousands of dollars if pursued?? Would love insight just out of curiosity.
Exactly what I was thinking. If Ebay claims it is a binding contract, you should see about suing for specific performance. Maybe see if you have a friend or acquaintance that is an attorney to at least write a letter and threaten a suit. You never know. You are clearly in the right if this is a binding contract, and you definitely have the documentation from the Ebay site. I would be sure to print/save a copy in case it were to suddenly disappear for some reason. The trick to doing something like this though is having something worth going after to begin with that can make the time and expense worthwhile. Not really worth it for a card worth a few hundred dollars or so, but a card worth several thousands.......now that may be a different story.

Also wonder, if you do go after someone for specific performance, could you also include your legal fees to force the defendant to pay for the harm they tried doing to you? That is a question for any attorneys in here.

Sorry to hear this was done to the OP. That definitely sucks.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:35 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. If Ebay claims it is a binding contract, you should see about suing for specific performance. Maybe see if you have a friend or acquaintance that is an attorney to at least write a letter and threaten a suit. You never know. You are clearly in the right if this is a binding contract, and you definitely have the documentation from the Ebay site. I would be sure to print/save a copy in case it were to suddenly disappear for some reason. The trick to doing something like this though is having something worth going after to begin with that can make the time and expense worthwhile. Not really worth it for a card worth a few hundred dollars or so, but a card worth several thousands.......now that may be a different story.

Also wonder, if you do go after someone for specific performance, could you also include your legal fees to force the defendant to pay for the harm they tried doing to you? That is a question for any attorneys in here.

Sorry to hear this was done to the OP. That definitely sucks.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:38 PM
Fred

No negative feedback for the seller. Is this one of those, "why bother" situations?
Old 12-16-2022, 06:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
No negative feedback for the seller. Is this one of those, "why bother" situations?
Feedback has been basically worthless for years on eBay.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:50 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Buyers can only leave negative feedback after 7 days.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:56 PM
Tim Odeen

I can't say anything about the classless act that happened. But for the first time in my life I saw an ebay seller on Twitter say he was put on probation by Ebay. He posted generic pictures instead of pics of his actual card, and I guess he did it multiple times.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-16-2022, 07:01 PM
Banned

I can tell you the username of who poached it. Cmonnow is the username.

Not that it matters but just so it’s out there
Old 12-16-2022, 07:26 PM
Fred

Uh, no Cmonnow is not the poacher. I know this for a fact because that is MY ebay ID.

In the last hour, I sent a message to the seller indicating I'd give the seller $10K for it just to see if the butt head would re-neg on the deal they made with the person that poached it. I had no intention of paying $10K for it, but it would have been funny as hell if the seller said "yes" and screwed the other person that screwed up the deal.

Who ever this kaufmannb14 or other Kaufmann (name in user-handle) is full of crap. Frigging troll to the board.

Where do these idiots come from?
Old 12-16-2022, 07:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Interesting.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:42 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

the fact that someone can offer more cash for a sold item is a defect with eBay… I’ve been screwed from it many times so if a law suit happens lol please lmk
Old 12-16-2022, 07:50 PM
Fred

I just looked at the thread time stamps. I sent the offer via ebay email right after my post at 838P.

This clown posted that Cmonnow (me) was the poacher 23 minutes later. About the only way that could happen is if these handles with Kauffman in the N54 poster name is the seller (Chawen_5502). Either that or Chawen_5502 has a direct line to the person he supposedly screwed and for some reason or other felt the need to provide the "supposedely" screwed buyer with the name of a person that poached the card from them. Really??? Beware of this clown.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:05 PM
Banned

I’m just going off what was said to me via eBay saying a guy offered him 10k apparently I have two different eBay’s. I’m not a troll or a bot. I’m a legit person who loves American Thai and watches anchorman on repeat. Whether it was messing with him or not you did message him saying you’d pay 10k, all did wa d ask how much the other offer was. He’s probably full of it, god damn this hobby is always creating a story lmao
Old 12-16-2022, 09:27 PM
je.sse @rnot

Who knows if he's telling the truth, but if some guy who isn't a hobby expert is helping a family sell a collection and he priced an item too low by mistake, I do not see canceling the sale as unethical. You committed to buy in good faith, but assuming the price is well below market obviously something is off.

When I used to sell cars this happened occasionally with online prices. Like leaving a digit off. Say a $24,999 used car listed for $2,499. You should have heard some of those phone calls. We would post a retraction and move on. This seller should be allowed to do the same in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:39 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
You should have told the seller to his face that he was an ***hole, and then dared him to do anything about it.
I told him considerably more than that...
Old 12-16-2022, 10:02 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufmannb14 View Post
I’m just going off what was said to me via eBay saying a guy offered him 10k apparently I have two different eBay’s. I’m not a troll or a bot. I’m a legit person who loves American Thai and watches anchorman on repeat. Whether it was messing with him or not you did message him saying you’d pay 10k, all did wa d ask how much the other offer was. He’s probably full of it, god damn this hobby is always creating a story lmao
Who ever you are - why would the seller of the card just arbitrarily contact you and tell you this? The timing is just too coincidental. Within about 20 minutes of me sending an ebay message, the seller just happens to contact you to tell you about a $10K offer that they just received. Sorry, I'm having a difficult time buying into this.

Why would the seller provide my ebay ID and not the person that actually "supposedly" poached it?

Is there a reason you have (2) N54 handles?

I see TROLL...
Old 12-16-2022, 10:08 PM
Fred

Interesting, ebay indicates Chawen_5502 is in Chicago. Last I knew, Chicago is in Illinois and that's the same state as the BKaufmann14 N54 ID indicates. I'm no rocket scientist but things just don't add up here.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:36 PM
Banned

Calm down fred. It sucks to be outed. There is no conspiracy going on. He messaged me saying someone else reached out and I asked for the username. Jsur so happens we are both in the Windy City. Stop gaslighting and move on. You go caught whether you were messing around or not.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

So BKaufmann14 is saying he asked the seller who the higher offer was, and got this eBay username which he appears to have had no idea belongs to one of the people in this thread.

The possessor of this eBay username is alleging that there is something nefarious in having the two usernames kaufmannb14 and BKaufmann14, that it is suspicious BKaufmann14 and the seller are both in Illinois, and that his offer of the card was a joke or an effort to catch the seller somehow, but that he did make an offer.

Hm.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:15 AM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

--breaks out popcorn--

Last edited by babraham; 12-17-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:21 AM
Fred

Greg,

The timing is very suspicious - I actually felt really bad for the OP that said that he got screwed. I hate seeing that crap happen.

I figured I'd screw with that seller and see what he'd do if someone put in a large offer on the card. In less than half an hour (this is more than 12 hours after the OP said they got screwed by the seller re-negging on the sale), I'm being outed by the OP as the person that poached the card the day before or earlier in the day.

It made no sense to me that the ebay seller would immediately contact the person they screwed over and then tell them someone made a large offer on the card, especially if the card was supposedly sold to someone else already.

My only intent was to see what the seller would do. Instead within half an hour, the OP (using a second N54 ID, albeit similar to the OP name) outs me as the "poacher". I took a bit of offense to this and looked at the timing of it all and it just seemed really odd.

If Kaufmann is telling the truth, then there's a lot of odd timing and coincidences to this and I didn't appreciate being falsely outed as the "poacher" of this card. I'm all about a collector being able to "collect" and have an enjoyable time doing so because in these days of this hobby, there's too much BS going on and it's more dog eat dog than help thy fellow collector.

By the way, the ebay seller for the card hasn't contacted me.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:43 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Greg,

The timing is very suspicious - I actually felt really bad for the OP that said that he got screwed. I hate seeing that crap happen.

I figured I'd screw with that seller and see what he'd do if someone put in a large offer on the card. In less than half an hour (this is more than 12 hours after the OP said they got screwed by the seller re-negging on the sale), I'm being outed by the OP as the person that poached the card the day before or earlier in the day.

It made no sense to me that the ebay seller would immediately contact the person they screwed over and then tell them someone made a large offer on the card, especially if the card was supposedly sold to someone else already.

My only intent was to see what the seller would do. Instead within half an hour, the OP (using a second N54 ID, albeit similar to the OP name) outs me as the "poacher". I took a bit of offense to this and looked at the timing of it all and it just seemed really odd.

If Kaufmann is telling the truth, then there's a lot of odd timing and coincidences to this and I didn't appreciate being falsely outed as the "poacher" of this card. I'm all about a collector being able to "collect" and have an enjoyable time doing so because in these days of this hobby, there's too much BS going on and it's more dog eat dog than help thy fellow collector.

By the way, the ebay seller for the card hasn't contacted me.
I don't see what is suspicious or much room for a conspiracy in what he has said. Since you all agree that you made an offer to the seller, that's the information they have. The seller has an offer from you for $10,000, presumably he doesn't know you're doing it for, you say, some less than sincere purpose (what is the point in proving a seller that cancelled a deal for a higher offer will do that? That's already known). Seller gives that to the original buyer when asked, who posts it here, seeming not to know that ID is yours. What do you think happened? The seller and this poster are the same person, for what possible purpose? It doesn't seem to be a false outing, you all agree you did make a higher offer after the auction. Did you make that offer worded in a way that the seller, who relayed it to bkaufmann, would not reasonably take it at face value? Can you post the screen cap of the offer? Perhaps you were insincere in it and did not successfully poach, but if you make a poaching offer and they can't reasonably know your offer was fake for some reason, why would the seller and the person he relays it to assume it was a fake offer? I guess I just don't see why one would make a higher offer to a seller we already know takes higher offers, and how anyone else besides you would know, assuming it is true, that your intent was not to follow through on said offer and it was insincere, even if it was accepted. If I am selling a card and someone sends me an offer, I would assume their offer is sincere (since that is usually the case) unless I have reason to think it is insincere. To believe bkaufmann's story, while still assuming your statements are true, one only has to conclude A) the seller interpreted the offer as sincere as most people do, and B) gave bkaufmann the name of one of the people who offered more when asked. That's not much of a stretch. To believe bkaufmann is actually the seller requires a lot more jumps.