NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Should I grade this Polar Bear Matty

I picked this card up the other day and I will probably want to trade or sell it because I already own a nice, dark-cap Matty. The question is should I have it graded first? There is a light stain in the right border; probably its a tobacco stain, but the back seems very clean for a Polar Bear, so it may have had something spilled on it in the past. I'm guessing it might get a VG-EX, but the stain concerns me. As far as evidence of trimming, the card measures fine and I don't see any evidence of tampering. I would appreciate any advice on what you think it might grade.

Note: Most of my T-206 collection was purchased already graded. I've never sent in a card for grading, but I do have about 80 ungraded T-206 cards, that are in similar examples to this one (nice crease-free cards, most without any staining), so I'm thinking about opening up an account with SGC and start sending them in 10 at a time. Eventually, I would like my collection to all be in the same holders.

Thanks for your help,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Mathewson.jpg (56.4 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Mathewson Back.jpg (64.6 KB, 288 views)
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Frank Wakefield

Yes.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM

Sure, why not.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM

I would do it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Chris

Either way. Some collectors pay a premium for nice, ungraded examples, other do the same for graded examples.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Tony Quinn

Absolutely.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Since your looking to sell or trade it, I would get it graded for sure.

On SGC, right now they have one of the best monthly specials they ever run for vintage- $6/card for $250 or less valued cards. Great timing for you.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM

The bottom edge looks trimmed, aut. If not, 30.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete zouras View Post
The bottom edge looks trimmed, aut. If not, 30.
I'm going to have to agree. The card appears to be trimmed on the bottom edge.

It would still look great in an SGC holder.

Last edited by asoriano; 07-13-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 PM

If that is a tiny enamel chip in the right border, I'd send it to PSA instead of SGC. SGC tends to grade harshly on flaking.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Barry Arnold

Default matty

go for it.

best,
barry
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for your comments and advise. I truly do appreciate it. I know that it is very tough to assess a card's value from a scan. This is the main reason why I have shifted to buying mostly graded cards the last couple of years. This card looked pretty good and I thought I would take a shot on it.

TBob you are very observant. At first when I examined the card the right edge just looked stained. In fact, the surface felt smooth and unbroken to the touch, but when I put the edge under magnification you can see some slight chipping in the stain just adjacent to Matty's shoulder. If that is the spot that you are referring to I applaud your eyesight.

As to the bottom edge being trimmed I'm still not sure. I've read the article in the Detecting Card Alterations and compared the examples to the pictures in the article. Both bottom corners have small nicks or creases on the front of the card, but no evidence that the surface of the corner is wearing away like you would see in a card that has been trimmed. There is also some light chipping on the the bottom edge visible under magnification on the front of the card. This leads me to think that the edge hasn't been tampered with. On the other hand, the back of the card shows a pretty smooth bottom edge, as does all of the edges on the card. I also respect the experience of the members who have said that the bottom edge is trimmed.

The article says detecting a trimmed card "is a piece of cake," but I guess I need to eat more cake. In the mean time I will take the card with to a card show in Cooperstown next weekend. There are some experts like Ted there who might give me their opinion.

Best wishes,

Joe
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM

IMHO, that card is not an obvious trim. It may very well be fine. I think it is impossible to tell from the scan. One would have to look closely at the edges, compare it with the other edges, examine the roll (or lack thereof), etc., etc. I would get it graded.
JimB
Old 07-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
I'm going to have to agree. The card appears to be trimmed on the bottom edge.

It would still look great in an SGC holder.
I agree with these guys that trimming is a concern (though I could not be sure based on the scan).

As for SGC, someone already pointed out the special for July. But they also do volume deals. I'm not sure how many items it takes to qualify for that, but you should call and ask for a price on grading the whole group of 80 (assuming you can afford to pay to grade the works at once). My assumption is that they would quote you a better price per card on the group.

Cheers,
Blair