NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-27-2023, 09:29 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

WOW!!!!!!!

....and of course it's Seager.

one of thee deadliest hitters in the game.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:49 PM
Jay Shumsky

First extra inning game of the playoffs in game 1 of the World Series.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:11 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

GARCIA IS A BEAST!!!!

Every time he gets hit by the pitch, he hits a home run in the very next at bat.

What a game!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-27-2023 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:50 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
GARCIA IS A BEAST!!!!

Every time he gets hit by the pitch, he hits a home run in the very next at bat.

What a game!
Truly a beast and I believe he set a playoff record of 22 RBI’s in a playoffs in 1 year with several games to go.

Actually was an exciting game

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-30-2023, 06:29 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Nice assist by Scherzer
Old 10-30-2023, 06:44 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Well if Texas does win it all this year they are gonna have to cut the MVP Trophy in half and give 1/2 to Garcia and 1/2 to Seager.

Garcia throws out a runner at home.

Seager hits a home run the next inning.

These 2 are on FIRE!!!!!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-30-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:46 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Horrible baserunning by Walker. Everyone in the park knew not to challenge Garcia there.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-30-2023, 08:05 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Horrible baserunning by Walker. Everyone in the park knew not to challenge Garcia there.
yah how do you run with your head down like that.....and with nobody out just stupid

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-30-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Did he run through a stop sign? On replay it's hard to tell when the coach changed his mind.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:42 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Did he run through a stop sign? On replay it's hard to tell when the coach changed his mind.
+1
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-31-2023, 12:59 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

1. He should know which outfielders to run on.

2. He was running with his head down as he was rounding 3rd, should have been watching the coach, so intentional or unintentional he F'd up not looking or blowing through it.

3. And why risk it, would have been 1st & 3rd nobody out, and 2 batters, one being yourself, just rocked Scherzer. So you are probably scoring from 3rd anyway.

So Walker F'd up one way or the other....or the other.

Watch the 3 min mark, and especially on the reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojfJo8x6y_Q

He's not even looking at the coach. Coach had it well up before he was running past him.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-31-2023 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:37 AM
Todd Schultz

Perezchica waved him home and then changed his mind– halfway down the third-base line. Ideally Walker would have had his head up and been able to get back to third, but the coach could have handled it better in the first place. It isn’t just knowing the outfielders’ arms– the runner does not know if there was a bobble or a slip and is relying on the coach’s eyes.

As for the game situation, I don’t disagree that the standard call there is to hold him at third. But the Diamondbacks play chaos baseball and try to put pressure on the defense as much as possible by forcing them to make a play. Unfortunately, the ball took a room service hop and was handled cleanly by Garcia right in stride and he made the play. Worst case happened, but it still left a man on second with one out; i.e., in scoring position with a faster replacement runner.

Walker is neither a fast nor a slow runner, so I can understand why he would bear down and not look up once he saw he was being waved home. I assume that if he picked up the stop sign– which again was a change by the coach– he would have made it back to third. Then again, I remember a rookie Joe Mauer facing that same situation in a regular season game and getting hurt when he slammed on the brakes to get back. Hurt as in knee injury and surgery, a 21 year-old hitting .300 with pop and gone for most of the year– thanks a lot coach.

Dbacks looked like they were pressing a bit last night, but they had other chances over the next seven innings. So yeah, Walker can own most of that momentum killer, but he was not alone.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

And if he held up and Scherzer got out of the inning people would be complaining they weren't aggressive enough. That's baseball.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:06 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Perezchica waved him home and then changed his mind– halfway down the third-base line. Ideally Walker would have had his head up and been able to get back to third, but the coach could have handled it better in the first place. It isn’t just knowing the outfielders’ arms– the runner does not know if there was a bobble or a slip and is relying on the coach’s eyes.
I think like you said because of that line drive being a one hopper to Garcia and there was no bobble or anything that is why the coach changed his mind. He was hoping for anything but that, and the tailor made one hop made him change his mind and threw up the stop sign, but loooked to be in plenty of time for Walker to see it. Looking down makes no sense, that's how guys who are not fast run.

And to Peter's point on saying people would complain about not being aggressive, NOT with nobody out. Had there been one or 2 outs then yes you can make that argument. With nobdy out unless you are Carroll or Marte maybe, but don't be aggressive with your 4 hitter.

He stops there you got 1st and 3rd nobody out, Scherzer just got rocked twice. In all liklihood the Rangers are then giving up the runner on third anyway to get the double play. So Walker scores on almost anything the next 2 batters do. And Scherzer ain't the K machine he once was so again know what is going on.

Maybe a little less looking in the dugout, patting yourself on the back, waving your arms (like the Phillies, and basically every team) and how 'bout thinking about the situation and not thinking about your hit.

It changed the game.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-31-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Not convinced. Suppose he had scored. You don't think people would be saying gutsy call running on Garcia, great aggressive play, blah blah? Nobody would be saying oh but he should have held up. Dude nailed him with a perfect throw. This happens. He isn't going to make that throw, or have a perfect bounce, most of the time.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-31-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:37 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I think like you said because of that line drive being a one hopper to Garcia and there was no bobble or anything that is why the coach changed his mind. He was hoping for anything but that, and the tailor made one hop made him change his mind and threw up the stop sign, but loooked to be in plenty of time for Walker to see it. Looking down makes no sense, that's how guys who are not fast run.

And to Peter's point on saying people would complain about not being aggressive, NOT with nobody out. Had there been one or 2 outs then yes you can make that argument. With nobdy out unless you are Carroll or Marte maybe, but don't be aggressive with your 4 hitter.

He stops there you got 1st and 3rd nobody out, Scherzer just got rocked twice. In all liklihood the Rangers are then giving up the runner on third anyway to get the double play. So Walker scores on almost anything the next 2 batters do. And Scherzer ain't the K machine he once was so again know what is going on.

Maybe a little less looking in the dugout, patting yourself on the back, waving your arms (like the Phillies, and basically every team) and how 'bout thinking about the situation and not thinking about your hit.

It changed the game.
I disagree. The coach should have assumed the play would be made cleanly and not waved him home, especially as the standard play would be to hold in that situation. There was no need to start with an initial wave home in "hopes" there would be a defensive slip up.

As for knowing game situations, it cuts both ways and your argument is self-serving. Of course Walker knows the game situation, but then again, the whole purpose of having a third-base coach is to have a reliable second set of eyes and a command structure of what to do in real time. If anything, I would argue that Walker would have assumed he would be held and started digging--with head down--once he saw the wave home. It is not necessarily incumbent upon him to wonder--gee coach, are you sure?-- in that situation.

Finally, Walker is incredibly unassuming and not into his performance at the cost of game mismanagement, so your insinuation that he was somehow clueless because he was thinking about himself is baseless.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:57 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Perezchica waved him home and then changed his mind– halfway down the third-base line.
Are you sure about this? I don't recall seeing a replay with a wide enough angle, but it looked to me like Walker wasn't even at third yet when the stop sign came up.

Garcia has one of the strongest arms in baseball, and Walker has to know that. Also, as has been said, Scherzer struggling and nobody out. At least look back or at the coach again before putting your head down and barreling home.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-31-2023, 12:29 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Are you sure about this? I don't recall seeing a replay with a wide enough angle, but it looked to me like Walker wasn't even at third yet when the stop sign came up.

Garcia has one of the strongest arms in baseball, and Walker has to know that. Also, as has been said, Scherzer struggling and nobody out. At least look back or at the coach again before putting your head down and barreling home.
No, I'm not sure--hence my initial post Look, there is no doubt he could have looked up at some point upon crossing third or so and probably got back to the base. I just find it to be a bit of armchair managing to say that what Walker did was stupid and done without any reason. Between the aggressive philosophy the team has used all year and the fact that a coach first emphatically waved him to score, I can see why it happened the way it did, and as a Dback fan, I cannot point to Walker as a goat there. With seven innings left in a 0-0 game, it was just a good baseball play by the Rangers. Handled perfectly with two perfect bounces-- one to Garcia and the other to Heim. C'est la vie.

P.S. It would have been interesting if Marquez called balls and strikes with a respectable degree of accuracy.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-31-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:01 PM
Jay Shumsky

Garcia is not starting tonight for the Rangers. Big loss especially if he's out for the rest of the Series.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:26 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
No, I'm not sure--hence my initial post Look, there is no doubt he could have looked up at some point upon crossing third or so and probably got back to the base. I just find it to be a bit of armchair managing to say that what Walker did was stupid and done without any reason. Between the aggressive philosophy the team has used all year and the fact that a coach first emphatically waved him to score, I can see why it happened the way it did, and as a Dback fan, I cannot point to Walker as a goat there. With seven innings left in a 0-0 game, it was just a good baseball play by the Rangers. Handled perfectly with two perfect bounces-- one to Garcia and the other to Heim. C'est la vie.

P.S. It would have been interesting if Marquez called balls and strikes with a respectable degree of accuracy.
I agree with you about the ump last night. Totally inconsistent. Remember the call later in the game on (I think it was) Moreno? About half a foot outside and called a strike. Smh

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 10-31-2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:16 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Garcia is not starting tonight for the Rangers. Big loss especially if he's out for the rest of the Series.
Just saw that both Garcia and Scherzer were replaced on the Rangers roster so they're both done for the Series. Garcia definitely a big loss, not sure if losing Scherzer will make a difference.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:22 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:

You are correct, he wasn't even at third when he put his head down, just bad baseball....even if he was safe....why risk it....nobody out, men on first and third, pitcher getting rocked.

It's just bad baseball to go home on that unless you are positive you are scoring. I don't care if that is how Arizona plays. The coach obviously knew he should hold. And yes his initial waving him home was wrong, but he caught his error before Walker touched third, Walker could have and should have seen that and hit the breaks.

How often does the runner score from 2nd and no outs in extra innings, I don't have stats but from watching this year seems like 50% or better. So a runner on 3rd nobody out has to be in the 75-80% neighborhood if not higher.

Walker F'd up.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-31-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:31 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Just saw that both Garcia and Scherzer were replaced on the Rangers roster so they're both done for the Series. Garcia definitely a big loss, not sure if losing Scherzer will make a difference.
Devastating blow losing Garcia.

Wow.

I'd tell DeGrom get loose and get in their for Scherzer.........(I know I know he won't back back until Aug '24, one can dream though)
Old 10-31-2023, 05:46 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default my last thoughts on this.....

If you want read the whole article here.....but the screenshot sums it up

https://sabr.org/journal/article/nev...20home%20plate.
Attached Images
File Type: png anet.png (138.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-31-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:03 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
You are correct, he wasn't even at third when he put his head down, just bad baseball....even if he was safe....why risk it....nobody out, men on first and third, pitcher getting rocked.

It's just bad baseball to go home on that unless you are positive you are scoring. I don't care if that is how Arizona plays. The coach obviously knew he should hold. And yes his initial waving him home was wrong, but he caught his error before Walker touched third, Walker could have and should have seen that and hit the breaks.

How often does the runner score from 2nd and no outs in extra innings, I don't have stats but from watching this year seems like 50% or better. So a runner on 3rd nobody out has to be in the 75-80% neighborhood if not higher.

Walker F'd up.
The local press is throwing shade at both Walker and Perezchica for the play, although Walker appears to own it (I would expect nothing less), saying he froze for a second and tried to make up for the poor jump once he saw he was being waved in. Some radioheads question why Perezchica would have ever given the wave sign-- given the situation you presume hold and change to wave only if/when you see a misplay.

Of course, no one in AZ has the insight of some of the great baseball minds here on net54. Such a pity.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

From another angle Walker is clearly getting the big windmill as he rounds third and only after that does he get the stop sign. It's not that easy to stop and reverse fields with that full head of steam.

Last sequence.
https://sports.yahoo.com/world-serie...114150111.html

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-31-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:25 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:

Of course, no one in AZ has the insight of some of the great baseball minds here on net54. Such a pity.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:26 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

home plate umping looking shakey already early on, here we go again.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:45 PM
Jay Shumsky

Rangers doing ok without Garcia so far. 5 runs through the second inning.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:45 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Great choice of pitchers by the Arizona manager.

They keep this up a position player may close this out.

Another bomb by Seager, I hope he has some silver polish at home, he gonna need it for that trophy.

C'mon Arizona wake up and make this a game I can't stand blowouts.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-31-2023 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:09 PM
Jay Shumsky

So naturally, Jankowski, the guy who is only playing because Garcia is hurt, has 2 hits and now 10-0 in the third.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:12 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stop.jpg (88.6 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-31-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Looks like Degrom and Sherzer will get a World Series Ring and each can say they did not deserve it but will take it :

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-01-2023, 02:44 PM
Jay Shumsky

Does it end tonight or does Arizona manage to win one at home and send the Series back to Texas? Pitching match-up is same as game 1, and so far Gallen has not been very good in the postseason for Arizona.
Old 11-01-2023, 02:47 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I think Arizona takes this one. Gallen is better than he has shown in his last few starts.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:13 PM
Todd Schultz

In the words of of Barry Gordy and others, as sung by Michael Jackson, "I'll be There".
Old 11-01-2023, 03:17 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I think Arizona takes this one. Gallen is better than he has shown in his last few starts.
In September, he was 3-3 with a 4.17 ERA and the postseason his ERA is 5.27 in 5 starts. He's been struggling for a while and needs to come up with a good start tonight to keep Arizona alive.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:23 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
In September, he was 3-3 with a 4.17 ERA and the postseason his ERA is 5.27 in 5 starts. He's been struggling for a while and needs to come up with a good start tonight to keep Arizona alive.
He's exceeded his career high innings pitched total by more than 50 this year counting post-season. Then again, he jumped it by more than 60 from 2021 to 2022, so it seems like a reasonable progression. In any event, this is his last shot for the season, win lose or draw--absent a Game 7 Randy Johnson-like late relief appearance-- so he should be burning everything in the tank, including the fumes.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-01-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:44 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
In the words of of Barry Gordy and others, as sung by Michael Jackson, "I'll be There".
As in, at the actual game?
Old 11-01-2023, 04:53 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Looks like Degrom and Sherzer will get a World Series Ring and each can say they did not deserve it but will take it :
What do you mean deGrom doesn't deserve one? The Rangers barely made the Playoffs, only by a game or 2.

deGrom was 2-0 with 6 quality starts.

Granted he was only there for a month, but without what he did early on they may not have even gotten into the Playoffs.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:56 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

.....but before we start sizing the Rangers for rings lets remember Garcia is out.

Arizona wins tonight, which I think they will, it's then on to Game 6.

I would however not pitch to Seager these next 3 games.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-01-2023 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:59 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Quote:
What do you mean deGrom doesn't deserve one? The Rangers barely made the Playoffs, only by a game or 2.

deGrom was 2-0 with 6 quality starts.

Granted he was only there for a month, but without what he did early on they may not have even gotten into the Playoffs.
Scherzer was 4-2 with a 3.20 ERA in 8 starts so just like deGrom, every win mattered to the Rangers.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:15 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Solid first inning for Gallen.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:36 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Jesus how do they keep getting out of it.....or to put it another way how does AZ not get a damn hit when they need it.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-01-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:46 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Jesus how do they keep getting out of it.....or to put it another way how does AZ not get a damn hit when they need it.
Apparently 7 games against the Phillies rubbed on them finally.

Hard to believe what Gallen is doing.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:57 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Uh oh.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:03 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Apparently 7 games against the Phillies rubbed on them finally.

Hard to believe what Gallen is doing.
I guess I shouldn't have said anything about Gallen. Amazing how fast things can happen.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Eovaldi got away with 5 walks lol.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:49 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Texas bats were just too much for them.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:55 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Texas bats were just too much for them.
Looks like it. I was hoping to see another game or two after tonight