NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-30-2022, 07:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Move a few police officers from traffic details where you have two officers supervising one minor repair to guarding schools?
Oh I agree with you personally, but there has never been one of these incidents in which the gun banners were willing to consider any real legislation besides more regulation on a right generally utilized by their political enemies.

I don’t think it’s about trying to actually address the problem ina meaningful way for anti-2nd legislators, it’s about criminalizing their political opposition.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:45 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I don’t think it’s about trying to actually address the problem ina meaningful way for anti-2nd legislators, it’s about criminalizing their political opposition.
Here is a list of some laws passed in Connecticut after 20 children and 6 adults were murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012:

https://patch.com/connecticut/across...-hook-shooting

For some of these, it seems quite a stretch to describe them as "for the purpose of criminalizing the political opposition".
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 05-30-2022, 07:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Here is a list of some laws passed in Connecticut after 20 children and 6 adults were murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012:

For some of these, it seems quite a stretch to describe them as "for the purpose of criminalizing the political opposition".
Adam Lanza used his mother's gun, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:53 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Adam Lanza used his mother's gun, no?
Yes, he did.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 05-30-2022, 07:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, he did.
So all the legislation in the world wouldn't have prevented it. Minimal security at the school might have, though.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:57 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
So all the legislation in the world wouldn't have prevented it. Minimal security at the school might have, though.
That may or may not be true. I believe they also passed laws regarding storage of firearms in homes/vehicles, but I'd have to look that up.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:54 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

“Assault weapon” and “high capacity magazine” bans as this article leads off with are exactly what I’m talking about. These accomplish absolutely nothing, there is no evidence that they do. There is considerable evidence that they don’t. These are commonly owned normal firearms and parts and have been for over half a century. Banning standard capacity magazines does not save a single person. All it does is punish the other side.

Both sides like to trample on rights mostly used by the other side. Many of their voters will have a genuine sentiment, whether it’s the left thinking the State can somehow regulate guns to the point that a paradise comes into being or the right thinking that the murder of a fetus is a great moral wrong. Banning standard magazines, passing a bounty law to reward people who report their neighbors for abortions, politicians are well aware this does not actually address a real problem, it’s just to fire shots at their political opposition. I think it is a shame when they choose to do this instead of apply any reason to the problem.

Last edited by G1911; 05-30-2022 at 07:55 PM. Reason: A typo
Old 05-30-2022, 08:02 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
“Assault weapon” and “high capacity magazine” bans as this article leads off with are exactly what I’m talking about. These accomplish absolutely nothing, there is no evidence that they do. There is considerable evidence that they don’t. These are commonly owned normal firearms and parts and have been for over half a century. Banning standard capacity magazines does not save a single person. All it does is punish the other side.

Both sides like to trample on rights mostly used by the other side. Many of their voters will have a genuine sentiment, whether it’s the left thinking the State can somehow regulate guns to the point that a paradise comes into being or the right thinking that the murder of a fetus is a great moral wrong. Banning standard magazines, passing a bounty law to reward people who report their neighbors for abortions, politicians are well aware this does not actually address a real problem, it’s just to fire shots at their political opposition. I think it is a shame when they choose to do this instead of apply any reason to the problem.
Fair points and I understand where you're coming from. I recall reading that there was actually a drop in gun-related deaths in the years after these laws were passed, but there are obviously many factors to consider in evaluating that.