NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2024, 04:54 PM
Charles Jackson

Default Uncut Proof sheet c. 1913 with Cobb and Joe Jackson in May '24 Hunt Auctions

Any thoughts on the potential history of this uncut sheet with Cobb and Joe Jackson that was sold by Hunt Auctions for $30K plus buyer's premium?

Do people think it is legit?

https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...=501&lot_qual=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UncutSheetCobbJackson-HuntMay2024.jpg (46.6 KB, 817 views)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-02-2024 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:39 PM

I don't think anyone really knows much about this, beyond what was written up in the Hunt description. It certainly seems to have been identified to be from around the 1913 date based upon the players and a couple of paper experts, and it appears to my eyes to be colorized photos. They have an unique look.

What a great mini-set this could have been! Besides the obvious superstar appeal of Jackson and Cobb, I love the two action shots (Bender and Marquard), and the Davis with the two cops in the background.

Brian (and here is an even bigger scan to appreciate the look of this sheet even more)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proofsheet1913.jpg (204.4 KB, 816 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-02-2024 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:09 PM

The Harry Davis image is cool. I'm guessing he's hoisting a flag maybe?
Old 05-02-2024, 06:25 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Seems (wherever this comes from) that they misspelled it "HUGIHE" Jennings.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:31 PM
Hank Thomas

That is nice! Amazing what pops up.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:54 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I don't think anyone really knows much about this, beyond what was written up in the Hunt description. It certainly seems to have been identified to be from around the 1913 date based upon the players and a couple of paper experts, and it appears to my eyes to be colorized photos. They have an unique look.

What a great mini-set this could have been! Besides the obvious superstar appeal of Jackson and Cobb, I love the two action shots (Bender and Marquard), and the Davis with the two cops in the background.

Brian (and here is an even bigger scan to appreciate the look of this sheet even more)
I know nothing about it at all. To me it looks like something the modern Helmar company would make.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:41 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I know nothing about it at all. To me it looks like something the modern Helmar company would make.

Ha ha, don’t give them ideas.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:00 PM
Frank Wakefield

Just from that image, I don't think it is real. I'm sure they think it is; otherwise, it wouldn't be in their catalog.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:10 PM
David M.

It's hard to imagine a sheet like that sitting around for 111 years without being discovered. Is there any explanation given about where they found it? Maybe in the files of some defunct printing company? It's also surprising that no other cards from this set have apparently ever surfaced. Amazing discovery.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:24 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It's hard to imagine a sheet like that sitting around for 111 years without being discovered. Is there any explanation given about where they found it? Maybe in the files of some defunct printing company? It's also surprising that no other cards from this set have apparently ever surfaced. Amazing discovery.
The only explanation given in the description is “Important discovery originates from a hobbyist who acquired the piece in the Brooklyn area over 40 years ago.”

I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but I am skeptical.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:28 PM
Daryl

If only it had been found in an attic in Ohio.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:29 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

It is a very intriguing piece. Definitely suspicious of the high tier player choice, but that of course was common to do for the day.

The printing and images chosen to me are very high quality, something I just can't see being done post war.

If I had to personally guess what I think this is, I would say there's a good chance it's something akin to '33 Goudey. Some sort of popular/star player release from slightly later maybe the 20s-30s.

If the original photos used to create these aren't known to exist or most aren't I would give even more merit to them being real. (Lost media=impossible to use in modern era?)

Just my thoughts.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 05-02-2024 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:15 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Other authentic vintage uncut material of this age has surfaced in the New York area in the last few years. Being discovered so much later does not raise doubt in my mind by itself.

It is nigh impossible to authenticate an unknown item though, which, if period, may not even be for unissued cards but testing other kinds of printed pictures.

I am surprised by the price paid by someone, unless they know something I do not which is very possible. I was watching this one.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:30 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Who is Roy Otis?
Old 05-02-2024, 10:31 PM
Joe M.

Not for me, only as a fantasy piece. Been Collecting Ty Cobb items, cards and memoriblia since 1970. Dubious. Never saw anything like this. Colorized. But admit had these calendar pieces that were colorized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1594.jpg (180.1 KB, 696 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1593.jpg (183.5 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1592.jpg (181.1 KB, 698 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 05-03-2024, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Who is Roy Otis?
Good question. I found a Paul Franklin Otis, identified as 'Bill Otis' on the Baseball Reference site, that played 4 games for the New York Yankees in early July, 1912. Emblem experts...is the 'NY' on his sleeve match what was on Yankee uniforms in the early 1910's?

It fits the time frame of the proof sheet, and 'Paul' or 'Bill' could easily be mistaken for Roy. Ok, the name thing is a little sketchy stretchy, but it could have been a mistake.

Here is a photo of Bill Otis next to the Roy Otis card on the sheet. There are some similarities (the shape of his ear is pretty similar, the eyes and mouth as well), but not convinced it is a good match due to the fullness of face on the proof sheet compared to Bill's photo.

proofsheetpaulfranklinotis.jpg
proofsheet1913royotis.jpg

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-03-2024 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:09 AM

Taking a look at some 1912 T207 cards, the 'NY' emblem seen on the proof sheet does seem to match those seen on Yankee player T207 cards.

Brian
Old 05-03-2024, 12:19 AM

Fun side factoid. Bill Otis was 1 for 17 during his major league career, his one hit coming off Walter Johnson in an extra inning game that Johnson came in the fourth inning to pitch over 12 innings of relief(!).

He was also the oldest living MLB player (100 years old) when he passed away in 1990.

Brian
Old 05-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Todd Schultz

Roy Otis is Otis "Doc" Crandall, as they state in the description.
This item was discussed here years ago:
https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1385155
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:44 AM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Who is Roy Otis?
Hunt Auctions write-up on the uncut sheet says that it was supposed to be Otis Crandall?

"Thin to medium stock paper uncut sheet (slightly thicker than 1914/1915 Cracker Jack card issues) depicting (12) Major League players in full color including Ty Cobb, Bill Schardt, Chief Bender, Roy Otis (actually Otis Crandall), Hughie Jennings, Ira Thomas, Vean Gregg, Harry Davis, Hub Perdue, Rube Marquard, Joe Jackson, and Frank Baker."
Old 05-03-2024, 02:49 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Roy Otis is Otis "Doc" Crandall, as they state in the description.
This item was discussed here years ago:
https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1385155
Todd, Thanks so much for providing this info!

So this item was actually being sold for the second time by Hunt Auctions. According to the link provided in the thread from 2015, it sold for $36,634 plus buyer’s premium in 2015, which is less than the $30K plus buyer’s premium it sold this time around..

Leon’s comment from 2015 is fascinating/revealing: “This from a close hobby friend and as trustworthy as they come- (this is assuming it hasn't changed hands)
"Around the late 1990's, the owner of that uncut sheet in Hunt's consigned it to me for private sale. I made a color photocopy of it and sent it out to about 50 people. Nobody showed a strong interest in it, and most were not sure if it was period. I ended up returning it to the owner. I think we were asking 15K for it. I don't remember who got my mailing but it was obviously all of the heavy hitters I knew back then. ...”"

If Leon’s friend was shopping it around for $15k in the ‘90s, then i guess the seller must have been happy to get $40k at auction in 2015 (assuming it didn’t change hands, etc)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-03-2024 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:55 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Don’t know if it means anything but it appears The lettering is done by hand ,
The “S”s , “H”s etc are all slightly different , “Gregg” and “Marquard” are way off centered - giving the cards a crude ancient look
Old 05-03-2024, 07:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't know if it's real or not but anytime I see those big stars, in the same unique place, it gives me some pause. Someone needs to invest in some scientifc analysis of the ink, paper and the process used to print it.

Last edited by Leon; 05-03-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:08 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't know if it's real or not but anytime I see those big stars, in the same unique place, it gives me some pause. Someone needs to invest in some scientifc analysis of the ink, paper and the process used to print it.

Probably don't need all that scientific stuff. I was informed earlier that pictures of baseball players can't be reproduced yet in another thread. Somehow we don't have the technology yet.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:31 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

According to the description: "Lab tests regarding both the ink and paper on which it was printed were carried out by Joseph G. Barabe and Frank J. Romano (both highly respected experts in the field of analyzing historical objects and print, respectively). The Romano findings conclude with production between c.1910-1915 while Barabe concludes the possibility that it could have been produced between 1913-20."

But what gets me is that the description in the current auction says "Due to current sizing constraints for SGC holder we are unable to have the piece encapsulated however it was examined by SGC President Dave Forman in 2016 who states that the no sees “no physical evidence that contradicts the finding of the Barabe And Associates Lab Report.” but the description back in 2015 when Hunt first sold the piece claims "Due to current sizing constraints for SGC and PSA holders we were not able to have the piece encapsulated but fully guarantee its authenticity as well as the fact that it would be deemed authentic by either grading company should said holders become available."

Looks like they are walking back the assertion that both PSA or SGC would holder it if larger slabs become available.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
An attic. In a trunk. It's an attic find no doubt.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
According to the description: "Lab tests regarding both the ink and paper on which it was printed were carried out by Joseph G. Barabe and Frank J. Romano (both highly respected experts in the field of analyzing historical objects and print, respectively). The Romano findings conclude with production between c.1910-1915 while Barabe concludes the possibility that it could have been produced between 1913-20."

But what gets me is that the description in the current auction says "Due to current sizing constraints for SGC holder we are unable to have the piece encapsulated however it was examined by SGC President Dave Forman in 2016 who states that the no sees “no physical evidence that contradicts the finding of the Barabe And Associates Lab Report.” but the description back in 2015 when Hunt first sold the piece claims "Due to current sizing constraints for SGC and PSA holders we were not able to have the piece encapsulated but fully guarantee its authenticity as well as the fact that it would be deemed authentic by either grading company should said holders become available."

Looks like they are walking back the assertion that both PSA or SGC would holder it if larger slabs become available.
Both groups of "experts" have been gradually stopping the grading of some things, usually anything they can't get right
Old 05-03-2024, 08:42 AM

I would just hesitate to call them baseball cards. How do you know they're cards? I know they have printer's mark for cutting but cutting something up doesn't make it a baseball card by virtue of the square having a picture of a baseball player on it.

I think the intention can't really be determined from this one sheet. They could be part of an advertising piece, a calendar, any kind of print media really. All we know for sure is that the images may have been meant to be cut out. But for what ultimate purpose is impossible to know.

For example, how do you know these weren't images intended to be arranged for a notebook cover? There's just as much precedent for that as there is for baseball cards.

Last edited by packs; 05-03-2024 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would just hesitate to call them baseball cards. How do you know they're cards? I know they have printer's mark for cutting but cutting something up doesn't make it a baseball card by virtue of the square having a picture of a baseball player on it.

I think the intention can't really be determined from this one sheet. They could be part of an advertising piece, a calendar, any kind of print media really. All we know for sure is that the images may have been meant to be cut out. But for what ultimate purpose is impossible to know.

For example, how do you know these weren't images intended to be arranged for a notebook cover? There's just as much precedent for that as there is for baseball cards.
Good point. I think calling them an uncut sheet of cards makes it seem more valuable than the alternatives, like an uncut notebook cover sheet. But yeah, just because they resemble cards, does not mean that there supposed to be cards (assuming they are authentic in the first place).
Old 05-03-2024, 09:53 AM
Dave

Default Tin Foil Conspiracy

Hmmmm....

Roy Otis / Doc Crandall

"Roy" Hobbs

"Doc" Graham

Sid Finch

That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it!

Old 05-03-2024, 10:18 AM

Dangit, I missed the Otis Crandall attribution in the lot description...4 lashes with a wet noodle for me!

Here is Doc (why in the fadoodle is he identified as Roy?) as compared to Roy Otis on the proof sheet. He was with the New York Giants during this time frame, the NY team emblem on his sleeve also seems to match the Giants emblem from that time, and more importantly, his eyebrows swoop in a very similar fashion.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doccrandall.jpg (57.0 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg proofsheet1913royotis.jpg (128.0 KB, 549 views)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:30 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Just from that image, I don't think it is real. I'm sure they think it is; otherwise, it wouldn't be in their catalog.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:35 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Okay, if its not real where are those images from to create it? Lets go through the process of making this thing.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:50 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Okay, if its not real where are those images from to create it? Lets go through the process of making this thing.
Fairly simple to get new old pictures like this. Recently it changed to now being IA. Before it was just called an app. Find a BW photo. Go to an app and colorize it. Very easy to find apps to do this. Then go to one of the apps that make old pictures move. Also very easy to find as they have even been shown on this forum using cards. Then do a still with the player in a new position and colorized.

That is one of many possible ways.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:03 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Fairly simple to get new old pictures like this. Recently it changed to now being IA. Before it was just called an app. Find a BW photo. Go to an app and colorize it. Very easy to find apps to do this. Then go to one of the apps that make old pictures move. Also very easy to find as they have even been shown on this forum using cards. Then do a still with the player in a new position and colorized.

That is one of many possible ways.
I'm talking about those specific images. Have you seen them before? I collect type 1 photo's from that time and don't recall seeing them. Are they from newspapers?
Old 05-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
I'm talking about those specific images. Have you seen them before? I collect type 1 photo's from that time and don't recall seeing them. Are they from newspapers?
His point was you don't actually need specific images today. I think, however, when these were created, you probably did. Even if they're a fantasy piece I think they're too old for what Ben is suggesting.

I thought at first glance the Bender pose looked familiar.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I might be convinced if authenticated by Rick Harrison's memorabilia expert, or by Seth Gold,
Old 05-03-2024, 01:00 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
His point was you don't actually need specific images today. I think, however, when these were created, you probably did. Even if they're a fantasy piece I think they're too old for what Ben is suggesting.

Yeah, that was why I went straight into asking about the specific images. Those apps etc didn't exist prior to 2015 when this was first offered for sale. Also, the Helmar cards mentioned are artist renditions, these seem to be colorized photos, so there should be a B&W source.
I'm hoping that instead of just throwing in a skeptical/negative two cents and leaving, people will try to work through the process it would have taken to make something like this. I find it hard to believe that a company as experienced as Hunt would not only offer something like this if they didn't have confidence in it, let alone put it on the cover of their catalog.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post

That Bender image reminds me of his T207 image, close but not the same.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-03-2024, 01:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
I might be convinced if authenticated by Rick Harrison's memorabilia expert, or by Seth Gold,
I want the guy with the HUGE magnifying glass!!
Old 05-03-2024, 01:46 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

For what it’s worth Harry Davis was in Cleveland for only one year - 1912
Old 05-03-2024, 01:56 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
For what it’s worth Harry Davis was in Cleveland for only one year - 1912
Davis managed the club that one season. I would not be surprised if the photo on which this "card" is based was taken Opening Day, since it was common for the home team to have a parade and flag raising ceremony for the occasion, and the manager handling the flag raising would make sense, it that's what's going on in the picture (maybe with the mayor or other dignitary on the other side, plus note one of the officials in the background is removing his hat).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-03-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

One picture looks like a Hollywood leading man. The others looks like the inspiration for the Stay Puff Marsh mellow man.

QUOTE=brianp-beme;2431064]Dangit, I missed the Otis Crandall attribution in the lot description...4 lashes with a wet noodle for me!

Here is Doc (why in the fadoodle is he identified as Roy?) as compared to Roy Otis on the proof sheet. He was with the New York Giants during this time frame, the NY team emblem on his sleeve also seems to match the Giants emblem from that time, and more importantly, his eyebrows swoop in a very similar fashion.

Brian[/QUOTE]
Old 05-03-2024, 02:27 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
That Bender image reminds me of his T207 image, close but not the same.
Hmm ... compared to whatever this is , T207’s are somewhat crude drawings in comparison - perhaps the t207 Bender and Gregg (C on uniform instead of Cleveland) drawings were inspired by the same photographs used in whatever this is . Edit t207 Perdue it’s definitely from the same image .. I guess what I’m getting at is most ofthese images Can be nailed down to 1911 or 1912
Note : I certainly prefer the t207 s
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 50D215D8-6415-4DB2-8291-5F45806DB259.jpeg (39.0 KB, 459 views)

Last edited by Beercan collector; 05-03-2024 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added Perdue
Old 05-03-2024, 02:29 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default ID this player image

"Roy Otis" could make a good vintage baseball meme/inside joke here.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:47 PM
J@mes In.gram

I made this statement in 2 other threads. I'll stop now.

The knowledge you guys have with respect to cards is insane. I have seen and read all of your complaints about the grading companies. Most would seem to be legitimate complaints.

Thus I asked: why doesn't someone on this forum buy some slabs and flips, and starting grading cards right here?

Any of the legalese can be answered by the attorneys who regularly post in these threads.

I was then informed that someone once did that very thing; someone named Bob who is no longer with us (RIP).

I highly doubt that any fakery would get past the knowledge base of this forum. Likewise, I believe cards would receive an honest grade, good or bad.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 05-03-2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Does anyone actually print with 12 mixed colors like they did back in 1912? I think it would be relatively easy to verify with a high-res scan of the printing technique.

Or do we know that there are counterfeiters that are making cards exactly like they did 100 years ago; I figure acquiring paper is easy, but I have no problem believing this is a proof sheet for a set that just didn't get made.

Here's a period proof sheet showing all the various colors used to create the cards. Does anyone actually print items using these techniques now?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 05-03-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:49 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

I apologize for posting so much on this thread I just find stuff like this overwhelmingly interesting .
Whatever this thing is has an uncropped image of the t207 Perdue image ,
Not only the same expression on his face but
His Cap is Identical
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 59BAA976-D3CC-4DD0-81AB-FE91352BAF07.jpeg (36.6 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg C4E08761-380D-42DD-91DA-FF53E1E23CF9.jpg (194.0 KB, 421 views)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
I apologize for posting so much on this thread I just find stuff like this overwhelmingly interesting .
Whatever this thing is has an uncropped image of the t207 Perdue image ,
Not only the same expression on his face but
His Cap is Identical
I'd call that a match. Photo to artistic interpretation of said photo.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-03-2024, 09:04 PM
Chase

Best news is that I now know where the image of Cobb I use for my avatar came from! Can stop looking for the card now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bender.jpg (59.7 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg crandall.jpg (62.3 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg gregg.jpg (59.0 KB, 366 views)