NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
BTW, I disagree that the first-half ending play was a bad decision. If you can't get a 20 yard pass play done within 5 seconds you are no Super Bowl QB. I guess there was some risk of INT depending on the type of pass play (SEE BONEHEAD DECISION AT END OF GAME), but the strategic decision was fine by me. I didn't think it would work and they'd have to settle for 3, but as a neutral fan who doesn't like either team I thought the decision to go for it was fine.
I also agree that the call at the end of the half wasn't bad. IMO it was really gutsy and definitely risky, but I've always seen R Wilson as a guy who has incredible situational awareness. I'm guessing they've practiced those sorts plays with a clock and know nearly exactly how quickly they can execute certain routes. 6 seconds is really tight, and I expect most teams (80%+) in the league would kick there. However Carroll had total trust in Wilson to execute the throw if it was there, and throw it away if not... no progression, no running around, just cut it loose... in this case guessing it was to find a one on one matchup pre-snap, throw to the back shoulder if the DB is off, over top if he beats him, or out of bounds. What's amazing, they still had 2 seconds left after.

As mentioned before, I think the call at the end was definitely questionable, but I think there's more to this. Was thinking about it more today, and Carroll was so defensive he was almost on the offensive (in a classy way). He repeated the same thing almost verbatim many many times. If anyone's seen "The Lives of Others" one of the points the lead character, an East German Stasi interrogator says, is that when someone's lying, they repeat the same phrases and sentences over and over. Now, I don't really think he's fully lying or there's some great conspiracy, but I do think he was covering for Bevell (or someone) big time.

The Pats acknowledged they weren't in true goal line (they had 3 DBs), but according to Carroll the Seahawks subbed to a 3 receiver set to counter the Pats' goal line D (2 DBs). This means someone in the booth (usually assistant to OC upstairs with binocs) didn't recognize the Pats' personnel package correctly. They also subbed really late, as they'd had a full back and I think 2 TEs on the prior 1st down run.. this is why 30+ seconds ran off. Once all the players were on the field, Wilson still had to shift Lynch and Baldwin to the left just prior to the snap, so I think things were in flux until the last moments, which makes me think there was a lot of indecisiveness in their play calling booth. As for Wilson's "decision" to hit the slant on that play... I'd think this is probably almost as pre-determined as a throw gets (similar to a screen pass). It's a pick play, so it's all about timing up with that pick.. and he wants to hit the slant immediately after he crosses the guy setting the pick (which is very illegal). From Wilson's POV, I think he saw the route quickly develop like he'd expect and Lockette with space in front, just had no idea Butler would cover that much ground, or didn't see him at all. I don't fault him.. I think he probably throws that ball unless his guy falls down, or there's someone directly in front of him.

What still gets me most about the play, is why didn't they try to sell a run fake???????? Everyone on the field, in the stands, at home, expects a run. If you want to slip in a pass (perfectly reasonable on one of the next two downs), do it after using a hard play action fake... and if that's your thinking, you just leave in the prior play's big personnel, to even better sell the run fake. If it's not there, Wilson throws it out of the end zone, and you get exactly what Carroll alluded to post game.. a clock stoppage and time to regroup for 3rd down. Or better yet, you let Wilson boot away or roll toward the play fake and isolate a Pat DB in that always perfect situation--- force him to either come up on Wilson who's running, or stay on his guy in the end zone. Wilson is the perfect QB in that situation and has proven it many times. If they are set on passing, I have no idea why you neutralize Wilson's greatest strengths?

Or of course, just pound it between the tackles with Lynch.