NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2022, 04:01 PM

Default Removing T205 and T206 from scrapbook

Apologies in advance as I know this topic has been discussed before but I could not get a very recent thread on this and thought there may be some new techniques people have used. I recently acquired these cards locally that had been glued into a vintage scrapbook and some have been removed resulting in a ton of paper loss but some were merely cut out of the scrapbook with the paper left on the back of the card from the scrapbook page. In fact a good number of these are back to back so the cards were glued in opposite sides of the same page so they are two cards with a piece of scrapbook paper in between them. I know there have been some methods in the past of folks soaking these cards to potentially remove the scrapbook paper and I was wondering if there may be a solution similar to that that I could attempt. I will include a couple of photos showing what exactly I’m talking about. Thank you in advance for reading my message and any guidance you may provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (196.9 KB, 557 views)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:04 PM

Hopefully this makes sense- Smith is glued to Jennings and Konetchy is glued to Tinker.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:12 PM

Front side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (200.1 KB, 541 views)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:34 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmanfan View Post
I know there have been some methods in the past of folks soaking these cards to potentially remove the scrapbook paper and I was wondering if there may be a solution similar to that that I could attempt. I will include a couple of photos showing what exactly I’m talking about. Thank you in advance for reading my message and any guidance you may provide.
I’ve done my fair share of soaking. I suggest whenever you have multiple samples, start with the least valuable. I’ve always just use a shallow dish (with a few inches clearance for the card on each side), hot water and patience. I place tweezers or something similar on the cards so they don’t move around in the dish. I generally replace the water at about 10 minutes and check the state of the cards. Try to resist the temptation of forcing/pulling. After 30 minutes you should have an indication of how well this will work. If things went well, the cards should have come apart on their own. After they are out of the water, place between a few layers of paper towels and put inside the cover of a heavy book. Stick some weight on it and wait 24 hours to dry.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I’ve done my fair share of soaking. I suggest whenever you have multiple samples, start with the least valuable. I’ve always just use a shallow dish (with a few inches clearance for the card on each side), hot water and patience. I place tweezers or something similar on the cards so they don’t move around in the dish. I generally replace the water at about 10 minutes and check the state of the cards. Try to resist the temptation of forcing/pulling. After 30 minutes you should have an indication of how well this will work. If things went well, the cards should have come apart on their own. After they are out of the water, place between a few layers of paper towels and put inside the cover of a heavy book. Stick some weight on it and wait 24 hours to dry.
Thank you for the reply. Stupid question- will the cards have water damage? Will SGC slab them as Authentic-Altered?
Old 03-03-2022, 06:44 PM
pete ullman

if u do it correctly it will be indiscernible.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:27 PM
Frank Wakefield

Having soaked quite a bit...

The T206s will easily soak overnight, or for a few days. Safely, unless there's water soluble ink on some paper underneath or somewhere that will bleed color onto a card, which seems unlikely, based on your pictures.

Go to the store, find distilled water on the shelf, then leave without it. Tap water will be fine.

I wholeheartedly agree with least expensive/desired first. I'd get a clear glass (think of a glass that would hold bourbon) and run room temperature tap water into it. Set it to one side. I'd then run tap water onto a pair of cards, then I'd dip it into the glass. Watch it for a few minutes, then leave it... give it time. The watching is to diminish your anxiety about it.

I've talked with old collectors who'd advertise in a city paper that they'd be at a certain Holliday Inn, room number such-n-such, buying old baseball cards. Among acquisitions would be scrapbooks. These guys would tear out the pages of cards, place them in the bathtub, add water, and let them soak overnight.

Soaking will work on flour, paste, and water based stuff. If it's not that stuff holding the cards in, then you maybe repost and we can discuss nonpolar solvents, and that's a whole new ballgame.

What's said above about not pulling or tugging at stuff is absolutely sound advice.

Warm/hot water is fine, quicker, and good, if you're sure you don't have water soluble ink on paper underneath. But I think your learning curve will be better if you use tap water for your first few attempts.

Give some thought to what you do with wet cards. I'd lay them on a dishcloth, fold the cloth over so there's cloth on both sides of the cards, and stack a few books on that, let it sit for 15 to 20 to 30 minutes or so. Then, move the cards so that they're sandwiched between blotting paper, typing paper, or some such. Maybe look at how the cards are doing after a few hours and maybe change the paper. Don't mash the cards so they are half their normal thickness... we aren't mashing water out, we're imposing some weight just so the cards dry flat. If cards turn out wavy or wrinkled, soak again and use a bit more weight on that last step.

As long as you don't rush this, or pull and tug at them because they look like they're ready to release, then you can't really screw it up.

Email me if you want if you have questions, concerns, or need help.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Having soaked quite a bit...

The T206s will easily soak overnight, or for a few days. Safely, unless there's water soluble ink on some paper underneath or somewhere that will bleed color onto a card, which seems unlikely, based on your pictures.

Go to the store, find distilled water on the shelf, then leave without it. Tap water will be fine.

I wholeheartedly agree with least expensive/desired first. I'd get a clear glass (think of a glass that would hold bourbon) and run room temperature tap water into it. Set it to one side. I'd then run tap water onto a pair of cards, then I'd dip it into the glass. Watch it for a few minutes, then leave it... give it time. The watching is to diminish your anxiety about it.

I've talked with old collectors who'd advertise in a city paper that they'd be at a certain Holliday Inn, room number such-n-such, buying old baseball cards. Among acquisitions would be scrapbooks. These guys would tear out the pages of cards, place them in the bathtub, add water, and let them soak overnight.

Soaking will work on flour, paste, and water based stuff. If it's not that stuff holding the cards in, then you maybe repost and we can discuss nonpolar solvents, and that's a whole new ballgame.

What's said above about not pulling or tugging at stuff is absolutely sound advice.

Warm/hot water is fine, quicker, and good, if you're sure you don't have water soluble ink on paper underneath. But I think your learning curve will be better if you use tap water for your first few attempts.

Give some thought to what you do with wet cards. I'd lay them on a dishcloth, fold the cloth over so there's cloth on both sides of the cards, and stack a few books on that, let it sit for 15 to 20 to 30 minutes or so. Then, move the cards so that they're sandwiched between blotting paper, typing paper, or some such. Maybe look at how the cards are doing after a few hours and maybe change the paper. Don't mash the cards so they are half their normal thickness... we aren't mashing water out, we're imposing some weight just so the cards dry flat. If cards turn out wavy or wrinkled, soak again and use a bit more weight on that last step.

As long as you don't rush this, or pull and tug at them because they look like they're ready to release, then you can't really screw it up.

Email me if you want if you have questions, concerns, or need help.
Wow. Thank you for the very detailed reply. I’m going to try with some of the commons first and see the results. I’ll report back!
Old 03-10-2022, 09:44 AM

Hi, I wanted to post a reply to this thread since everyone was so kind to give me suggestions.

The great news is the cards that I soaked came off the pages (mostly) absolutely beautifully! The bad news is the seller had already ripped the Cobb and Demmitt short print off the page. Wish he would have let me soak it off. Oh well, still obviously pleased with the pickup. Here are some of the cards.

(favorite of the bunch)
T206 Mathewson

T205 Cobb

Demmitt T206

T206 Hoblitzell Front

(came off the backing nicely)
T205 Tinker

T205 McGraw Front
Old 03-10-2022, 04:38 PM
Joe M.

Nice, good job..joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-10-2022, 06:15 PM

I’m getting quite a few PM’s. None of the cards are for sale at the moment. Thanks
Old 03-31-2022, 08:02 AM

I wanted to post an update as I received the stars back from SGC. Thanks for everyone on this thread for assisting with info about soaking the cards off, otherwise I would have had much worse luck with them!
Obviously expected 1's on most. Was hoping for a 2 or 2.5 on Mathewson, think they were a bit tough on it. But overall happy.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:29 PM
Drew W@i$e

The Mathewson is a stunner!
Old 03-31-2022, 08:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you for posting those results and scans.

Congratulations!
Old 04-01-2022, 06:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great looking cards. Way to go!
Old 04-01-2022, 08:52 AM

Thanks Leon, and everyone else. Very happy with how the cards came off. Slightly less pleased with the tough grader on the Mathewson but in lower grade I would think eye appeal wins out a bit so not a big deal.