NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Dave

All great stuff. Thanks for posting. I'm still working for the same pharmaceutical company (3 years). The first 6-8 months were awesome. Now I just hope to get thru each day. If I had known how screwed up the place was. I would have run the other way. Fast !

Last edited by DHogan; 07-04-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Darrell

25+ Years in Full service food management. Last 5 years sales for big box hardware store.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Charlie

CPA specializing in the tax area.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 PM
David Kathman

I make my living as a mutual fund analyst for Morningstar, which means I talk on the phone to money managers who make much more money than I do, then write about the funds they manage and why you should or shouldn't put your money in them. I also write articles about investing, some of which you can find if you google my name. In my spare time (such as it is), I research and write about Shakespeare and Elizabethan theater history for books and academic journals, and go to academic conferences in that area. Next year I'm co-leading a seminar at the World Shakespeare Congress in Stratford-upon-Avon and London.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
I make my living as a mutual fund analyst for Morningstar, which means I talk on the phone to money managers who make much more money than I do, then write about the funds they manage and why you should or shouldn't put your money in them. I also write articles about investing, some of which you can find if you google my name. In my spare time (such as it is), I research and write about Shakespeare and Elizabethan theater history for books and academic journals, and go to academic conferences in that area. Next year I'm co-leading a seminar at the World Shakespeare Congress in Stratford-upon-Avon and London.
I am curious, what do you think of John Bogle's thesis (well, not his alone by any means, but one he popularized with Vanguard) that over time only a very very small percentage of funds and fund managers will outperform the S&P 500?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Al Richter

Default Bogle

For what is worth I agree with him. But I have been and still am a Vanguard fan. They have a lot of my money
Old 07-04-2015, 08:54 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Surprises, me, I thought Pearson was taking over the educational world and had more money than they knew what to do with!
Ken/Andrew:

Before I got canned, part of my little group was responsible for monitoring the Customer Service group that supported the PARCC operation.

You guys have any experience with PARCC yet? Still think Pearson has everything under control?

Kevin
Old 07-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Justin Burleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
Ken/Andrew:

Before I got canned, part of my little group was responsible for monitoring the Customer Service group that supported the PARCC operation.

You guys have any experience with PARCC yet? Still think Pearson has everything under control?

Kevin
I am a former teacher that transitioned into assessment development three years ago with CTB/Mcgraw-Hill to develop for the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium. They laid all of us off last year (slimming up to sell the company ). Now, I am editing assessments for Western Governor's University.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:53 AM
Dave Reese

I am a recently retired Health & Phys. Ed. teacher of 38 years who, because I enjoyed my job so much, had some reservations about retiring. Now playing golf four times a week. No more reservations
Old 07-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Skip

Default Now retired...

...but still going (reading, writing, and collecting)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post
Sales, New Era Cap Co., 41 years and still going...
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am curious, what do you think of John Bogle's thesis (well, not his alone by any means, but one he popularized with Vanguard) that over time only a very very small percentage of funds and fund managers will outperform the S&P 500?
Well, that has been more or less true historically, depending on what time period you look at, and the general idea is pretty uncontroversial. Even so, all of the funds I cover are actively managed, and the active vs. passive discussion is a lively one in the field. Here is a summary of a panel on the topic at the recent Morningstar Investment Conference:

http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=701870

and a column by my colleague John Rekenthaler about a recent article by Charley Ellis, an indexing legend, in defense of active management:

http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=702065
Old 07-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Andrew Rott

HS Mathematics Teacher
Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Well, that has been more or less true historically, depending on what time period you look at, and the general idea is pretty uncontroversial. Even so, all of the funds I cover are actively managed, and the active vs. passive discussion is a lively one in the field. Here is a summary of a panel on the topic at the recent Morningstar Investment Conference:

http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=701870

and a column by my colleague John Rekenthaler about a recent article by Charley Ellis, an indexing legend, in defense of active management:

http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=702065
Good reading, thank you. I particularly thought this was well put, in the Rekenthaler piece:

Active managers do set efficient security prices. They do help global markets to function smoothly. But there's no particular reason why you need to own them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-05-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Good reading, thank you. I particularly thought this was well put, in the Rekenthaler piece:

Active managers do set efficient security prices. They do help global markets to function smoothly. But there's no particular reason why you need to own them.
I'm not a professional, but I do study this topic and it appears in the data that on broad large-cap funds, it's very hard to beat the market in the long term, but with small-cap funds you do see many managers beating their index.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Justin

I've been in IT (currently Network Administrator) since 1991.

For the past 10 years or so I've also been doing Production Design/Art Direction/Prop Making for low budget films and music videos.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Arnie

I am so happy to be an un-productive member of society (retired).
Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Ken McMillan

practicing veterinarian for the last 30 years and still going strong after some health issues a few years back.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Banned

Boeing 777 machinist
Old 07-05-2015, 05:47 PM
BOB

High end metal fabricator master welder
Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Air Force for the past 22 years. Will probably retire in a couple years and start my second career.
On my second career as a civilian for the Army Corps of Engineers.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Jim H

Served 26 years in the Air Force and retired 2 years ago. I turned around and went back to work for the Air Force as a civilian. I now work in the Inspector General's office.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hey Matt, I lived in Austin 33 years ago. I loved 6th Street.

Is Madison Square Garden still around?
Sean, MSG is long gone. There isn't much left on 6th St that was there from the early to mid-80s. The Driskill is naturally still there. Esther's Follies is still there (different location but same irreverent comedy, fantastic magician also). Maggie Mae's is still there. But not much else that I can think of. The clubs seem to change frequently. I don't go there anymore and haven't for years, except to go to Esther's Follies. As Yogi said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
Old 07-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Michael

Environmental engineer. I work entirely in the field of air pollution. An air head.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Dan Carson

Default Plumber

Plumber UA Local 342
Old 07-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Rick

Environmental chemist, wastewater, some air analysis...one year from retirement, maybe...I hope. Then I can spend my time fishing and going to ballgames at Wrigley & elsewhere.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Baptist Pastor
Old 07-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Final Audit inspector for a company that supplies fuel, oil, hydraulic, and air conditioning, etc. tubes for all sorts of John Deere agricultural machinery and lawncare equipment. Guess you'd say I'm their "GUARDIAN ANGEL", but I pray most sincerely to my dear Lord Jesus to help me intercept any rejection-able parts, packaging, and informational tags. ---Brian Powell
Old 07-05-2015, 10:39 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Fun thread. I love my job as a university professor in coastal engineering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Louie Michaud

House-to-house tutor
Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Doug Goodman

Tour manager / tour accountant for touring bands. Some you've heard of, many you haven't.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'm still an evolutionary psychologist. My new title is Chair of the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 AM
J1m C0chran

Oracle/Big Data Database Administrator for a telecommunications corporate giant. Big Brother is watching. Looking forward to retiring in Colorado 5 years from now, and possibly buying and selling cards full time.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Jimi

Fun thread....and surprised I missed this awhile back.

After 12 years of teaching 3rd & 4th graders, I moved onto letting my wife do that without me. I'm sort of in-between things right now, but I'm a landscaper/deck builder in the spring and summer, moonlight as a drummer, and I also help a buddy of mine with an online sports card business!
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 07-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Scot

Default My office...

Thank You to all of the Military posters in this thread, Thank you for your service!

I am a 16 year Career Firefighter in the Washington DC/Baltimore metro areas. Every 3rd day, this is the view from my office...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1326213203416.jpg (56.0 KB, 777 views)

Successful Transactions: t206hound, LukeLyon, Sebie43, Bocabirdman, tuckr1, Jimivintage, shorttmail66, jcc6252
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 AM
€d M!ŁŁw00D

I am beginning my 12th year as a middle school principal. I enjoy my job, but am hoping to retire in 5-7 years.

Ed
Old 07-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Jason Albregts

Escrow Closer for a title company for the past 17 years and a former Civil War reenactor. Though the latter didn't pay, it was much more rewarding

Last edited by Beatles Guy; 07-06-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Duncan

Association CEO and lobbyist
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Scott Levy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
I'm not a professional, but I do study this topic and it appears in the data that on broad large-cap funds, it's very hard to beat the market in the long term, but with small-cap funds you do see many managers beating their index.
As a financial advisor, our whole industry is so intensely regulated that those of us who strictly follow the rules can't say much about anything in a public forum - without getting it approved by 'compliance' first. However, I do have pretty strong opinions that I'm happy to share privately.

scottglevy@yahoo.com

Warmly,
Scott
Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Jeff R

I am lucky enough to own a restaurant with my best friend, who also happens to be my wife. As much as I love my work, our real passion is food justice and the restaurant is the perfect platform for us to speak about this topic. I am fortunate to be invited to speak at many different forums concerning agribusiness, Organics, local food, food deserts, colony collapse, urban gardening, and many more related topics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (6.5 KB, 717 views)
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Ed McCollum

By day, I'm Graphic Design Director for the largest faith-based, non-profit provider of services to the intellectually and developmentally disabled in the country.

By early mornings (from 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. three days I week), I'm in logistics for a retailer whose logo looks like someone should be shooting at it. And by logistics, that is the fancy title for someone who spends up to two hours in sub-zero freezers taking stuff out to thaw and putting it on the shelves before 8 when the doors open.

The second job is pretty much mindless, but helps pay the bills (and buys the baseball cards) that working for a non-profit doesn't cover.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Bob McLean

Retired educator, retired from Naval Reserve in 1994. I now do 15-20 shows a year, setting up with my friend Coach Estes Cards Ron Estes. Hope to see everyone in Chicago at the National. We will be in the same group with Terry Brown of Chesterfield Cards. Numbers 502, 600, and 602 sound about right for the booths.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:34 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I now work as a museum archivist. Interesting compared to auction houses in that, while that the research and authentication work is similar, the museum has never sold a thing so financial value is a minor afterthought at best.

Last edited by drcy; 07-06-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
Ken/Andrew:

Kevin
Last year was our first with PARCC. It went so well that OH canned it and will just use AIR next year!!

(My problem wasn't so much the test itself, it was the stupendous amount of time wasted around the test. I have actually started introducing myself as "used to be a teacher, now I'm a Test Proctor.")
Old 07-06-2015, 04:07 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I am a civilian Electronics Engineer for the U.S. Air Force working on the F-35 fighter jet program. Cool work, and I'm looking forward to the future international travel.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Last year was our first with PARCC. It went so well that OH canned it and will just use AIR next year!!

(My problem wasn't so much the test itself, it was the stupendous amount of time wasted around the test. I have actually started introducing myself as "used to be a teacher, now I'm a Test Proctor.")
Pretty much the same here, Ken. We did a PARCC pilot last year....there was such outrage from the masses that we went with MCAS this year.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Aaron Abram

I sell the screws, rods and interbody devices neurosurgeon and ORTHO spine doctors put in people's spines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I help feed all you guys with real jobs... Uh I mean.. Proud to run a fine dining establishment. Also day care worker.. Uh I mean hire a train teenagers in their first employment experience.
Drew
Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Farmer(organic variety)
Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Dave

Automotive Noise and Vibration Engineer
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 AM

I have been a professional photographer/photographer's assistant for the last 13 years. Sometimes moonlight in the film/video industry and also work in a MLB organization that some refer to as the "Evil Empire".