NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2023, 06:56 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Quote:
Ken Griffey. Jr
Bryce Harper
Derek Jeter
Nolan Ryan
David Wright
And only one of those players are active, which proves my point.
I am not sure what point you thinks this proves, but it certainly lends no support to your list above of who you think are the most collected players. All the players took from Blowout are alive and familiar to modern collectors. On your list of 10, only 1 is alive and 1 (other) has actually played a game in the last half century. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone comment here about how shows today are 80-90% modern or how younger collectors don't know or care about those old time greats anymore. So, I have a hard time taking seriously most of the lists suggested upthread.

Quote:
You have to remember the majority of Blowout are collectors of a specific age that grew up in the junk wax era. Not a good representation of the hobby either.
While I am not suggesting the list I took from BO is necessarily correct, it is much more representative that most of the lists suggested in this thread. Similarly, I believe BO is much more representative of the broader collecting community than any other similar congregation of people. And way more representative than net54. You have to remember that the majority of Net54 are collectors of a specific age, and wealth status. Most collectors are not in a position to drop multiple C-notes for the gnarliest playing days card of Ty Cobb.

Now if you will excuse me, I need crack open a bottle of Château Lafite Rothschild and let it breath. It should pair quite nicely with the Dominos MeatZZa that is on its way.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Blowout not only is more representative, its membership dwarfs that of 54, so there is that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Blowout not only is more representative, its membership dwarfs that of 54, so there is that.
Get off my lawn Peter...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-16-2023, 09:18 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Get off my lawn Peter...
+1

We're not on Blowout. That's a different hobby. King Tuck parallel's and Luis Roberts and all of that. I think it's a great hobby that they have, but I'm not in that hobby.

Last edited by RCMcKenzie; 06-16-2023 at 09:18 PM. Reason: add +1
Old 06-16-2023, 09:57 PM
Rob

To clarify, it's a fun debate. I took the original question to mean, "what players do you like to collect?" "You", meaning NET54 people reading the prewar section.

If they have a classical music chat board, and someone asks,"Hey, who are the most popular composers?" They mean Mozart and Chopin, not Taylor Swift and George Michael, even if Swift and Michael are far more popular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kingtuck.jpg (47.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-17-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I am not sure what point you thinks this proves, but it certainly lends no support to your list above of who you think are the most collected players. All the players took from Blowout are alive and familiar to modern collectors. On your list of 10, only 1 is alive and 1 (other) has actually played a game in the last half century. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone comment here about how shows today are 80-90% modern or how younger collectors don't know or care about those old time greats anymore. So, I have a hard time taking seriously most of the lists suggested upthread.

While I am not suggesting the list I took from BO is necessarily correct, it is much more representative that most of the lists suggested in this thread. Similarly, I believe BO is much more representative of the broader collecting community than any other similar congregation of people. And way more representative than net54. You have to remember that the majority of Net54 are collectors of a specific age, and wealth status. Most collectors are not in a position to drop multiple C-notes for the gnarliest playing days card of Ty Cobb.

Now if you will excuse me, I need crack open a bottle of Château Lafite Rothschild and let it breath. It should pair quite nicely with the Dominos MeatZZa that is on its way.

You quoted my post where I said that current players shouldn't be on the list except maybe Trout and you posted your list from Blowout that was 80% retired players. So how doesn't that prove my point?

You posted a list from people who grew up as kids collecting junk era cards in the 90s and of course they are going to have guys that were hot then Ryan, Griffey and Jeter. I set up at card shows for 30 years and I don't think I have ever been asked for a David Wright card. To have Harper as the only active player instead of Trout, Judge or Ohtani makes no sense.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
Just to play devil’s advocate. Many people can’t collect those players because of cost. This may be better called “most desired” versus “most collected”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
120%

Who actually collects Honus Wagner, other than a few dozen?

If we are talking masses, Griffey is probably number one.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 06-17-2023, 09:16 AM
je.sse @rnot

My personal Top 10 in order is:

Mantle
Griffey
Ruth
Gehrig
Cobb
Wagner
Joe Jackson
Nolan Ryan
Jackie Robinson
Clemente

Honorable mention to Cy Young, Matty, Mays, and Hank Aaron.

If this were a poll of what we thought the top 10 in the hobby are, I'm not even sure Mantle or Ruth would make the list, all 10 would probably be modern.

Also I'd bet there a lot more Wagner collectors out there than Joe Jackson

I included a pic of a few of my favorites
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210129_124750.jpg (197.4 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-17-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:30 AM
T0m P00n

I’d say Michael Jordan is more heavily collected than all the players on these top 10 lists combined.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

The players I own 5 or more of are
Cobb
Ruth
Gehrig
DiMaggio
Williams
Musial
Mays
Aaron
Clemente
Jordan
Jim Brown

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:55 PM
Rob

I probably randomly have 35 Amos Otis cards from 70's-80's packs. I never gathered them up together to make an Amos Otis binder.

My brother was a player collector back then. He had binders of Tom Seaver, Tommy John, Kirby Puckett, Rickey Henderson etc.

From a median age standpoint, does everyone have a random Pete Rose card in their collection? I don't have Jordan and Griffey and Trout because I'm old.

I wish I had more Tris Speakers than Amos Otis, but it's okay.
Old 06-17-2023, 02:11 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
These are my top ten, and I have at least two of each . . .

Babe Ruth
Ty Cobb
Honus Wagner
Mickey Mantle
Jackie Robinson
Ted Williams
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Willie Mays
Stan Musial
Finally Stan the Man. He is really underrated, no?
Old 06-17-2023, 05:21 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
120%

Who actually collects Honus Wagner, other than a few dozen?

If we are talking masses, Griffey is probably number one.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
What Griffey cards besides his UD Rookie are widely sought after?
Old 06-17-2023, 05:33 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post

I’d say 1990s inserts. He’s been a easy sell for me for years. Some of the rare 90s inserts hit big money at auction. I’d say he’s widely collected. There does seem to be a preference of him in a Mariners uniform for a lot of collectors though.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:55 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
I’d say Michael Jordan is more heavily collected than all the players on these top 10 lists combined.
probably correct, but I only collect baseball. so I didn't include any other sports.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-17-2023, 07:06 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
I’d say 1990s inserts. He’s been a easy sell for me for years. Some of the rare 90s inserts hit big money at auction. I’d say he’s widely collected. There does seem to be a preference of him in a Mariners uniform for a lot of collectors though.

Oh, completely concur with Bcwcardz, his 90s inserts and autos are .

Off the top of my head, here are Griffey insert cards that are highly sought after....and some of these aren't that limited:
1993 Topps Finest Refractor
1994 UD Griffey and Mantle dual auto
1995 Stadium Club Ringmaster
1996 Topps Chrome Refractor
1997 UD Game Jersey (first relic set ever created)
90s UD Chirography
Late 90s Topps Gallery "Gallery of Heroes"
1995 Leaf Statistical Standouts
1998 Donruss Crusade
1994 - 1997 Flair Showcase Hot Glove

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo