NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm relieved that you three dig it so far. Since I was trying a lot of 'new' stuff with this painting, I was a bit worried that it could fall short. Then again, any of them could fall short.

Either way, it's good to know that I'm on the right track.

Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Tony Quinn

Graig, GOOD LORD! You have to take a class? You should TEACH a class. You are one of the finest artists I have ever had the pleasure to view. Rembrandt is my favorite but you are a close second (seriously, no joke). That Ruth is spectacular, looks like a photograph. You may be the only artist that won't have to die to have his paintings worth a fortune or admired by only black-clad, self centered weirdos. Keep up the great work and always thanks the Lord for your incredible talent.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Graig, that is by far your best Babe Ruth. Looks like you could talk to him and he'd answer back.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks Tony and Mike. I really appreciate all of you taking time out of your day to respond to the latest one.

Tony, I'm honored to be behind Rembrandt on your list, but if that's the case, then I insist that I be waaaaaaaaaaay far back. I couldn't wash that man's brushes.

Regarding teaching, I think if anyone was to put students under my wing, I'd be pretty scared of the results. It's usually really hard for me to verbalize and articulate things in general (those of you who know me in person know exactly what I'm talkin' about), so I couldn't even imagine how crazy I might sound if I was talking to a bunch of students (of any age, really).

But in all seriousness, I'm really glad I'm taking this class. It's being taught by a dear friend and former professor, Peter Fiore. About 90% of what I know about painting is because of him. His class is all about understanding light and color, and is actually one that I took when I was an undergrad (a few times, actually). If I hadn't, I can't even imagine where I would be now. And here we are, ten years after the fact, and I think I can approach his concepts more maturely, and get into the minutia that I couldn't really make sense of when I was 20. At the same time, he's been painting another 10 years as well, so I'm really able to take advantage of his breadth of knowledge. The stuff I've been learning has been REALLY helpful so far, and I certainly hope my work will improve because of it, even though I still get frustrated all of the time. This is gonna sound really flowery, but I've found that painting is a lot like the Lernaean Hydra, in that once a particular visual problem is solved, you become aware of at least two more.

And I guess that's what one of the best and worst thing about painting is: there's no ceiling as to how much you can learn or push yourself.

All I know is that after a full day of it, my head really hurts.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey guys,

I got this one back from my photographer's a day or two ago:

Man, I'm happy that it's gone. I can't even articulate how large this damn thing was. At 50" x 64", it's the largest canvas I've ever worked on, and in my small little studio, it only seemed that much larger.

Anywho, depicted is Babe Ruth during a home run derby of sorts, at Meiji Jingu Stadium in Tokyo, November 4, 1934. That Sunday marked the first game the team of American All-Stars played during their tour of Japan, the one that was credited for really getting the Japanese excited about baseball. Being able to see stars like Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Jimmie Foxx will do that to ya, I guess.

By the way, have any of you guys seen the new auction at Heritage? I was browsing through the other night and found this AMAZING shot of Gehrig:

Anyone know anything about it? It looks like an early one, maybe even pre-27. Either way, it's part of a REALLY nice lot with some other shots of the great man. Actually, they're a bunch of REALLY nice photography lots in there, especially all of those cool panoramics. Heritage continues to amaze me with the quality of their wares!

Now, if I could only afford it all!

Graig
Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Speaking of Lou Gehrig, here's one that I'm working on now:

I've always loved this image, despite the fact that I normally don't love working from photos that were taken with flash. Though, I think the light from the illuminated clay next to the dugout reflects back into his uniform and face nicely. Or at least, it's my hope that it does.

Anywho, thought I'd share!

Graig
Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

I don't know if I posted this one before, but it's almost done with:

Evers had one hell of a cool face to paint, especially with those eyes and that forehead and jaw. Also, those '07 Cubs jerseys were beyond bad @$$ - and I can say that with confidence after seeing the new Marlins unis. Obviously it would be less comfortable and all, but man, I wish baseball jerseys looked like this.

Anywho, I hope ya dig it!

Graig
Old 11-24-2011, 10:25 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Graig,
This is truly some fascinating, incredible stuff. It blows my mind how true to life you make each of the elements, with my favorites being the old jerseys and the gritty dirt. Your attention to detail is unsurpassed.

Now, the 2 big questions. I didn't see anywhere on your site where you can purchase prints of these pieces. Did I miss it, or are these works only available as paintings? If so, start selling prints to us poor folk!!!!!!!

And, as a fellow New Yorker, any chance of recreating Willie Mays' time with the New York Mets? God, I would love to see your take on that.

--elm
Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Graig Kreindler

Sean, that's a good question. It's still on my 'to do' list. The problem is, that list is growing faster than I can paint. Originally, I wanted to have the thing done to display at our booth at this year's National in Chicago. But, we didn't end up getting one, since I didn't have much to show, so I guess the idea went to the back-burner. I REALLY hope I can to it soon, though. These deadball era images are just beyond inspiring.

Elm, thank you so much for the kind words - you make me blush!! As of now, there aren't any solid plans to do prints, though it's still something that my agent and I are looking into further. I think we're still just looking for the right opportunity - if there is one. But, if you'd like, you can keep an eye on my Facebook fanpage, as I'm hoping to run a contest soon to win a free painting (or maybe even two).

Regarding Mays, well to be honest, I had not thought of painting him as a Met. But I must say, now I'm a bit intrigued. The idea of him coming back to NY in the twilight of his career, and only a shadow of his former self, it could make for a great narrative. Do you have any specific moments or photos in mind?

Graig
Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Graig,
As usual the Evers painting is stellar. As you can imagine, I am still biased towards the Lou in the post above it.

BTW, I'm going to try to get to the National in Balt this time. I really hope you set up so I can see some of those big one in person. The 16x20 I have is fantastic, I can only imagine how grand they look in the bigger sizes.

Keep on painting!
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-25-2011, 06:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Sean, that's a good question. It's still on my 'to do' list. The problem is, that list is growing faster than I can paint. Originally, I wanted to have the thing done to display at our booth at this year's National in Chicago. But, we didn't end up getting one, since I didn't have much to show, so I guess the idea went to the back-burner. I REALLY hope I can to it soon, though. These deadball era images are just beyond inspiring.

Elm, thank you so much for the kind words - you make me blush!! As of now, there aren't any solid plans to do prints, though it's still something that my agent and I are looking into further. I think we're still just looking for the right opportunity - if there is one. But, if you'd like, you can keep an eye on my Facebook fanpage, as I'm hoping to run a contest soon to win a free painting (or maybe even two).

Regarding Mays, well to be honest, I had not thought of painting him as a Met. But I must say, now I'm a bit intrigued. The idea of him coming back to NY in the twilight of his career, and only a shadow of his former self, it could make for a great narrative. Do you have any specific moments or photos in mind?

Graig
Unfortunately, the 'best' moment that reinforces and emphasizes your point of being in the twilight of his career, etc., would be that moment in the 1973 World Series after my man Bud Harrelson was called out at the plate and Willie dropped to his knees and pleaded with the umpire to reverse his misguided call. That moment was basically the end of his career and all of us Mets fans cried that day because our team was done. The look of despair on his face is quite moving. But if you want something more positive, then a 'better' moment would be a painting of his last at-bat in that World Series (the last of his career) when he singled up the middle.

--elm
Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Graig Kreindler

Mark, you like Gehrig?

I don't know if we'll be exhibiting in Baltimore, but as per usual, I'm very much hoping for it. I would imagine that I'll be down there either way (or at least, that's my hope). I guess it just all comes down to how much inventory stuff I can get finished in addition to the commissions. And of course, how much Dean cracks that whip (though I doubt he could do it anymore than he already does).

Elm, that shot of him pleading is pretty iconic. I've seen it from plenty different angles as well. I guess that in a way, that shot of him symbolizes the whole plight of the Metropolitans (and certainly some of their fans). There's just always the sense of almost getting there...

Which reminds me, I don't know if I ever posted this, but I did a small portrait of Mr. Kranepool for a client a while back - thought you might dig it!

Graig
Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Graig,
This is truly some fascinating, incredible stuff. It blows my mind how true to life you make each of the elements, with my favorites being the old jerseys and the gritty dirt. Your attention to detail is unsurpassed.

Now, the 2 big questions. I didn't see anywhere on your site where you can purchase prints of these pieces. Did I miss it, or are these works only available as paintings? If so, start selling prints to us poor folk!!!!!!!

And, as a fellow New Yorker, any chance of recreating Willie Mays' time with the New York Mets? God, I would love to see your take on that.

--elm
See Graig!!

I have been beating the drum for two years now to be able to buy prints of your work. I am not the only one who feels this was as noted by a number of people in this thread alone. I know I will probably never be able to purchase an original work of yours but I would love the chance to be able to be able to add a print of your work to my collection. Your work would look great framed and matted hanging on my sports room wall.

I know there are start up costs that go along with making prints of your work but I am sure you could make your money back and turn a profit by selling these prints of your work. You would sell a ton at the National alone!! Get your agent working on this project!! LOL

I just want the chance to get litho number 1 that is hand signed by you of the Matty!!

Keep up the usual great work. You are a true artist!!

Andrew