NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Murr the Blurr

I collect vintage boxing, with a distinct focus on cards and memorabilia of the heavyweight champions from 1880-1980. My sub collections are built around Luther McCarty and the so-called 'White Hope Era' and Canadian fighters who gained international acclaim, including George Dixon, Tommy Burns, Sam Langford and George Chuvalo. I'm big on display pieces, especially on-site posters and programs.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Mike H.

I grew up in Northwest Indiana as a Cubs fan, then moved to Ann Arbor 12 years ago and added the Tigers to the list. These are both excellent teams to collect due to the wide array of high quality and attractive memorabilia associated with them. The Athletics are probably the only team that produced more. I have a few Yankees pieces as well, and pinbacks from many teams. Most of the pieces in my collection are not linked to any specific team such as figural pieces, equipment, etc. If I like the look and it is old (usually pre WWII) I'll buy it.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I collect Toronto Blue Jays Memorabilia. In terms of tradition, antiquity, and overall aesthetic appeal, Blue Jays stuff just can't be beat. JK, of course... I don't think I have ever seen a Blue Jays post here, so just wanted to break the drought

Seriously, I collect Philadelphia Athletics (pre-war), and Cincinnati Reds (post-war). Philly A's because they had such iconic teams with players like Foxx, Simmons, Grove, Baker, Collins, Plank and Bender (not to mention Connie Mack at the Helm). Plus, the White Elephant Mascot made for so many cool collectibles.

Reds because I gew up in Cincy, and witnessed the birth of the Big Red Machine. Plus I got to attend the final games played at Crosley Field (my first experiences with baseball). The '75/'76 Reds were (IMO) the greatest offensive squad ever put together, and perhaps even the best team ever.

As for the players I collect... Ruth, Gehrig, W. Johnson, Mathewson, T. Williams, and the greatest Clutch Hitter of my era... Tony Perez.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM
M@tt Schw@de

For me, I collect NY Yankees, Ohio State football, and what I probably have the most of is University of Dayton basketball. I actually was in the middle of writing a book about the history of Dayton basketball when my first child was born. I now have two and the book is still not done

I did, however, get to interview the coach for Dayton back in the late 1930's (Jim Carter) last month.. He played running back at Purdue and turns 100 in November! His autograph still looks as good as it did 75 years ago!

Old 09-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Scott R

I collect mostly pre-war baseball cards, Rose Co. postcards, Cubs Ramly's, Babe Ruth-Red Sox era only, Shoeless Joe Jackson anything. Lots of vintage Chicago Cubs items. Trying to get into 1885-1900 baseball memorabilia.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I collect autographs from famous baseball teams and tickets from their World Series. Currently working on the 1919 White sox, 1927 Yankees, 1934 Cardinals, 1960 Pirates, and 1961 Yankees and 1969 Cubs (because of their great collapse).
Also collect autographs of Baseball Hall of Famers (currently at 174), and autographs or signed photos of famous/infamous plays/players and tickets from those games. Last but not least I have started collecting signed Mickey Mantle magazines.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Great topic Andy! Thanks for suggesting this post.

I am a collector of things related to dominant pitching performances (no-hitter games, no-hitter games lost in the 9th inning, high strikeout games-18 K's or higher, high strikeout seasons, and pitching marathons).

One of the major things that I collect in this theme is baseball tickets to these games. I have tickets to 178 different no-hit games dating back to 1901 (Christy Mathewson's 1st no-hitter). I collect the signatures of all no-hit pitchers dating back to 1893.

I'm an advanced collector of all things Nolan Ryan, especially game used items, and tickets to all games that he pitched in.

In addition to Ryan, I have nice collections of Walter Johnson and Johnny Vander Meer items. The central focus of my Vander Meer collection surrounds the year 1938, the year that he threw a ML record two consecutive back-to- back no-hitters.

My interest all things related to power pitching dates back to 1968, which was the year I really started following baseball as a kid. Growing up in So Cal, I followed Don Drysdale's amazing 58 2/3 scoreless innings streak in 1968 on TV and listening to my transister radio under my pillow (when I was supposed to be sleeping)! Later that summer, I spent over a month in Michigan on a family vacation and watched Denny McLain's run towards 31 wins in 1968 with the Tigers. Bob Gibson had his amazing 1.12 ERA in '68 and he faced off against the Tigers in the World Series and struck out 17!
Amazing!! What a breakout year for pitching!! I was hooked.

Nolan Ryan was traded to my hometown Angels in 1972 for my all-time favorite Angel at the time Jim Fregosi. Watching Ryan in the 1970's with the Angels was awesome! The Angels were mostly horrible, but Ryan was tremendous to watch. Because of my interest in Ryan (the All-Time No-Hit King) I became interested in the no-hitter.

I hope to write 3 books in my future. I'm currently discussing the possibilty of a collaboration on the first one. More details on this project to follow later....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-01-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM

I collect Toronto Blue Jays Memorabilia. In terms of tradition, antiquity, and overall aesthetic appeal, Blue Jays stuff just can't be beat. JK, of course... I don't think I have ever seen a Blue Jays post here, so just wanted to break the drought

Mark (Perezfan),
You almost had me for a minute there. This gave me a pretty good laugh, but ain't it the truth!!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-29-2011 at 03:39 PM.