NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Default Which is the most rare 1914 Cracker Jack?

I was wondering which 1914 Crack Jack card is the hardest for you to find besides Matty? Rob
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Rob G.

There usually seems to be an example or two of Matty available, but price is outrageous.

A fellow board member "sniffy5" seems to have been collecting the set for a while and is down to these final 10 (which he has posted as WTB on the b/s/t) and he hasn't seen them recently in ANY condition:

86 SHOTTEN 93 PRATT 103 JACKSON 118 KONETCHY
90 SMITH 95 KEATING 104 SAIER
91 PECKINPAUGH 96 BECKER 115 BRENNAN

You'll notice many he needs are higher numbers. I've been sorta collecting the set over a couple years, picking one up every now and then (have like 30 or so) and it seems like the higher numbers in general are tougher to come by, with the first 20 or so pretty easy in comparison, except for #1 Knabe which is also tough.

Its a fun set, but can get expensive quickly so thats why I'm going so slowly with it.

Good luck!
Rob
Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Barry

I have been collecting the set for several years now and have about 90 of the cards. I find it difficult to determine the true rarest card in the set. The card that receives all the press and is viewed as almost "unicorn-like" is the Del Pratt card (#93). There are 11 examples that appear graded between PSA and SGC (I am fortunate to have a PSA 1), but I have no handle on how many raw or crossover examples there are. Interestingly, by the numbers, the Frank Owens card (#74) is the rarest with only 10 examples graded between PSA and SGC (although mine is a 2.5 BVG). Likewise it is difficult to know how many have been crossed over, raw or graded by companies other than the big 2.

The Matty card (#88) although a stunning card is not (according to the population numbers) particularly rare. There are 35 examples graded between PSA and SGC. There are 111 cards in the set (77% of the entire set) that have populations between SGC and PSA of 35 or less. In fact, out of the second half of the set (cards 73-144), there is only 1 card (Frank Chance) that has a population more than the 35 Matty's that are available. There are also 35 Joe Jackson examples, so the Matty is arguably not even the rarest "iconic" card in the set.

I hope this provides you with the information you were seeking.

Regards,

Barry
Old 07-08-2011, 02:26 PM
James Gallo

Pretty much everyone knows the Matty is not a rare card. It is unique and high demand hence the high price.

As with all sets you will always find more graded HOF then commons as that is where people think the money is. Also any of the unique cards like Lord will also show more graded examples.

I haven't activavly been collecting this set for a while and just picked up the unique cards and whatever else I got in deals. As such I ended up with some nicer cards.

I do also agree that aside from Pratt it is hard to say what is the rarest card. For example when I was almost done with the 1915 set I needed a Nap Rucker card, I could not find one anywhere over a couple of years. I have since gotten one and just because one was not available for a few years doesn't mean it is a rarer card.

When you don't take grade into account I am not sure any card is "rare" When looking at the number most Boston Store cards have total populations under 10, are they tough to find sure, but I wouldn't consider them all rare just becuase there are not a lot on the pops.

Lastly, just because one card is rare at one point in time doesn't mean it will always be that way, (see Rucker examples above). I think getting all the commons is the tough part, the HOF are around if you want to pay for them.

James G
Old 07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Id say only 1 card is rarer than all the others, the (overrated) Bresnahan error variation with no number...
But other than that, Why would any of the cards be rarer than the others?

With 144 different cards, Id think they were printed in sheets of 12X12, 1 card per sheet? Does anyone know more about the sheet(s), and are there any other cards that have variations??

Pop reports can help but will be slightly off because many E145-1 common players in low condition never see a slab...
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

I found that Harry Hooper and Del Pratt to be pretty tough to find . Rob
Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 PM

My vote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 Cracker Jack Pratt [Front].jpg (24.7 KB, 393 views)
Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Ethan Bou.sk.i.la

Been collecting 1914s for a while and have found the higher numbers as mentioned to be significantly tougher. There are quite a few commons with combined pop reports in the mid teens or lower which hints at the rarity and scarcity of the set in general.
The bresnahan no number is very tough!! I have been looking for a decent one for quite some time and do not think a card so tough to find can be called overrated (just my opinion!).
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM

BigB13,

Just for display, I picked up this 1914 Cracker Jack Hooper on eBay several years ago. It was advertised as slightly trimmed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 Cracker Jack Hooper [Front].jpg (25.7 KB, 353 views)
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Steve Smith

I was able to get to 125/144 before I sold the set off. I had all of the HOF players but I would agree the Pratt is the toughest.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

That Del Pratt card is fantastic. Rob
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

I just picked up this Hooper, not bad for a psa1 a little dirty with a tiny pin hole. Rob http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited by Bigb13; 07-11-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 PM

Sounds like there might be a Pratt hoarder out there somewhere...as Frank said, no reason to believe there is any short-print.

As James said, the Matty is not rare - this is confusing supply with demand. It is a high demand card b/c the pose appears only in 1914.

Cheers,
Blair