NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Me too.

Jeff, I'm also doing a HOF collection. I am doing a "master" set. What I mean by that is there are actually 295 HOF'ers and I am doing a card of every one of them. That entails non-era (playing or otherwise) and includes fantasy or aftermarket cards. Some players/execs etc. either have no card or are so expensive it makes it impossible to own them (for me) so I have substituted modern day or "fantasy" cards for the umpires, executives, negro leaguers and 19th century players. I have 249 of 295 (84%) and all are scanned on the site collectorfocus.com under TQ's cards (or something like that) if anyone wants to see them. I also have substituted signed cards if I could afford them as I am somewhat partial to autographed cards.
Good luck to all who attempt this, it's expensive and tough but great fun.
Tony
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Phil Garry

Hey, David:

Sounds like you are off to a great start to your collection. I have used very similar criteria in building my own collection. Do you have a website, photobucket, etc. where you can share scans of your collection?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I reciently completed my HOF set. I joined this forum with only one player to go (hence the name "almostdone"). I wish I new of this site when I was building it. It took about ten years and the criteria I used is as follows:

1. A card must be from when the player was still active (only two exceptions in my collection one is the card came out the year after he retired and the other is a Mathewson from 1919. It's all I could afford and figured 90 years old is old enough for me).

2. The card had to be issued in order to promote a poroduct (ie, gum, tobacco, a game, etc.) No newspaper clippings or magazines

3. Played from 1909 and on. I just can't think about the 1800's guys on my limited funds.

4. Only players. I do have a Diamond Match Billy Herman but only because his team is listed as the "Boston Bees" and I love baseball history.

5. As big of a variety of types of cards possible. The most of any set I have is 11 T206's. When people view my collection I want them to see not only the players in the HOF but also as wide of a variety of cards as possible. Sort of a tour of cards over the last century.

Occationaly I will upgrase a card here of there but somehow my collection sort fo just fits me and who I am as a collector and lover of the game.

I did post some pics of my displays in the "Show your displays" thread a while back if you would like to take a peek and let me know what you think.

Drew
Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Attachment 35465

Attachment 35466

Attachment 35468

Attachment 35469[/quote]
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Hey, David:

Sounds like you are off to a great start to your collection. I have used very similar criteria in building my own collection. Do you have a website, photobucket, etc. where you can share scans of your collection?
Not yet. I'll work on getting something together though... There's alot of players that I don't have that I could just go out and easily get. There's been a lot of great cards that I have passed on because I just keep looking for an older card of any given player. I'd much rather have a card of a guy in his first year or two, as opposed to one of his last..

Last edited by novakjr; 06-25-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 AM

really cool collection

has anyone ever seen a Pud Galvin card?
i know hes on the 300 win list and hes quite possibly the games first ever steroid user (horse testosterone if im not mistaken)
but its a name thats never ever brought up and ive never seen a single piece of memorabilia
Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Phil Garry

Pud Galvin is in the 1887-90 N172 Old Judge set as well as the 1889 E.R. Williams Playing Crads set.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Kenny Cole

Here's a card of Galvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1887-90 N172 Old Judge Galvin HOF 1965 SDB.jpg (65.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Ni,ck Miku.licich Jr

Default I'm working on this set too

I'm a little off the first page. My focus is on playing-days cards, though I'll put in a post-career card. I try to get ones that are reasonable collectibles (R423, '60 & '61 Fleer, '72 Puerto Rican Stickers, etc.) - I don't believe in grading the modern cheap cards of vintage HOFers just to fill spots in a registry.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Clayton

Hi Jeff-

Interesting project & glad you are having fun with it !! I just checked it out, and had a question. I noticed on the T206 Lajoie & T206 Jennings that it says "unknown back". Does PSA require that you put that term on the registry because that's how they have it listed in their database from the # on the flip, or, can you put in the actual cig. brand on your own?

Just wondering about that. I know it isn't an unkown back to you

Thanks, and congrats on your project !!

Sincerely, Clayton