NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default Legal issues in the hobby

Posted By: leon

I will actually agree with your post but, quite honestly, it is more about the value of the cards going up than the holders. Don't get me wrong I do agree that many times the highest graded cards have gone up faster but my collection is far from high grade and it's gone up dramatically since I bought it. I have personally gotten most of my most valuable cards graded myself after buying them raw.....

Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Leon,

We'll have to compare return on invested capital and if mine is higher maybe you won't think I'm a moron anymore.

I would say in general that high grade graded cards have far outperformed ungraded.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Jim,

You don't know me but many on this board/in this hobby do. You have every right to disagree with my views and believe that I express them out of sour grapes. But trust me when I tell you I have no envies/frustrations that I missed the boom on anything.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jim- if the owners of ungraded cards are envious of collectors who have graded ones, which I tend to doubt, wouldn't they just go out and get them graded? Seems like it's never too late if you choose to do so.

And vintage cards have increased in value across the board. Great rarities like E107 have multiplied as much as any high end T206 or Goudey. They just don't exist in NR MT condition.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Corey,

I didn't suggest that you did have them--its obvious though that some do.

Barry,

I said high grade vintage sportscards--most collectors of ungraded cards on this board do not own them in high grade.

For example I bought a high grade 41 Play Ball psa 10 from Dave Forman in the early 90s for about $250. Its a pop 1 and probably would sell for $20,000 today. While that may be extreme, almost every prewar 8 I bought 10-15 years ago is at a minimum 5-10 bagger and in many cases substantially more.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

It will be impossible ever to compare the rates of returns on graded v. ungraded due to the obvious fact that ungraded cards are more difficult to slot into categories of comparison due to their lack of grade! Unless you can track exact card for exact card, there's no point.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

But as we've said before many vintage cards simply do not exist in high grade yet have likewise skyrocketed.

Compare the price of an Old Judge California League player from ten years ago to today. It's probably increased 20 fold, and that would apply for a PSA 2.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

I take back the "moron" comment about you. I did edit it out but I know someone else still had it in a post. I should have been nicer but you would have to be in my shoes sometimes. I love the hobby and don't think I am the way some folks portray me to be. I can assure anyone I don't run this board for the millions I make off of it . And yes, I will compare notes with you on values....My guess is almost anything (pre wwII, anyway) bought more than about 2 yrs ago has done very well. best regards

Old 07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I just don't think its true across the board.

Leon,

We differ on card restoration although I believe I did read that you said that you believe now that any alteration prior to grading is wrong.

I do appreciate you clamping down on the personal attacks. These two or three posters come out of the blue and the only thing they do is attack me without addressing any issue.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Jim,

I would like to politely ask you to refrain from derailing this thread. I am finding it both helpful and fascinating, and would like any remaining life it has left to be spent on topic.

To take a law-based discussion on the potential liabilities in the graded card arena and turn it into a statement regarding the motivations of some of the posters (envy over the money that graded collectors are making, and frustration over having missed out) is inflammatory enough to turn this into yet another flame war.

Please allow this thread to go on the course it had been following.

Thanks.

Joann

Old 07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

I'm responsible too Joann, so I will cease and desist (legalese!)

Old 07-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Okay Joann--will do.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: P Spaeth

Jim, I dare you to crack that card out and resubmit it.

On a serious note, and hopefully getting back to the subject of the thread, I do think that while there has been a tremendous increase in demand for (and therefore price of ) cards, there exists a serious potential to derail all that if (through litigation or otherwise) what is now largely fear innuendo and speculation becomes proven -- namely that a whole hell of a lot of big dollar high end cards are altered. I think that when you start seeing lawsuits, and I believe you will, the legal principles and results that emerge from the first few cases could have very important implications for auction houses, dealers, grading services, and collectors.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Sorry about that Joann...I got derailed too and didn't even realize it. Back to legal stuff.....