NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2023, 11:27 AM
Ma-rc Alph0ns0

Default My 2023 National Experience (Thu-Sat)

I posted this on another forum, and I thought would share here as well. These were my daily write ups that I would do while everything was still fresh. It's pretty lengthy but I think many folks who were there could certainly relate to a lot of this as well.

Thursday's recap after the show:

Just came back from the show. As someone mentioned, its way bigger than the previous years. Now they have two different entries, and it all connects. Lots of more dealers on the floor. It's literally exhausting to keep up with where you're at sometimes and very easy to get lost. So many people there that it safe to say the hobby is alive and well.

As for cards, yes, there is plenty. Lots of more Pokeman dealers this year than I've seen in the past. I was a bit disappointed with the selection of cards. I didn't see too many high-end items as I did in the previous years. I feel as though a lot of people got caught holding the bag that they simply refuse to let some of their big cards go for a lot less than what they purchased for.

I saw a plenty of 1980's Topps Rickey Hendersons, there wasn't that many PSA 9's but there was enough to choose from. In fact, this show did not have too many 80's cards in gem mint. You'll see plenty of PSA 7's, 8's, and 9's but don't expect to see something like a Roger Clemens 1985 Topps (although I did see one PSA 10) or a 1985 Topps Mark McGwire in a PSA 10. Never saw one.

Modern is everywhere. It feels like I am seeing the same tables over and over again because everyone has the same modern cards. I saw a bunch of Ohtani's, Soto's and Acuna's. The same cheap base cards and then I also saw quite a few real nice, higher valued ones. There is vintage but expect at least a 20% markup on that stuff for the most part. As for the cards I am looking for, unfortunately I have seen a copy that I really liked. I am looking for two cards (2003 Topps Chrome Lebron and 1984 Fleer Update Clemens - both in PSA 10. While I saw plenty of base (the one of him holding up his jersey) in PSA 10, I didn't see many of the chrome version (he's jumping and taking a shot). As for the Clemens, I did come across 2 PSA 10's. One was off L to R and the other had a rough cut and something that look like a ding in the middle of the cards ride side. I personally wouldn't feel right owning that PSA 10 as I don't think it was a good/strong example.

Friday's recap:

Exhausted is not even the word. I am leaving tomorrow late afternoon, so I won't do the show full day as the last two, but I'll be there long enough. I'll have to do my video walkthrough which I am afraid will be long. I discovered another room today with even more dealers. It's really just way too much to see and for those who plan on attending just one day, I am afraid you won't get the full experience.

So, I did pick up two cards today. One was the 2003 Topps Chrome Lebron in PSA 10. The price was good, and I even made a cash offer got even a better price. I just hope the card is done dropping - which seems to be the case as many things seem to have finally leveled out. I can't imagine those cards going for even less than what they are now but it's a crazy hobby in a crazy world so who knows. I'm a long-term holder so regardless, whatever happens, I don't see myself losing once it's time to sell off things. As for the second card, I wanted to find a 1984 Fleer Update Clemens. At this show, I only found two (and I swear I visited every table showing a picture of it asking if they had it. Funny how they would say "no, but I have a 9" or "I have one at home". Thats awesome but however, it doesn't exactly help me lol, and off I go to the next table and so on. I did happen to come across Mattingly's 1984 Fleer. It had the requirements in which I was looking for upon purchasing (new holder and centered). Thats pretty much it, oh, and I don't want one that has a rough edge like many from that set. It was a great price. I offered slightly lower than the sticker and my offer was accepted. Again - cash is king. I used to own it but sold my copy along with the 1984 Topps PSA back around 2016. Now if I could just find that 1984 Topps in PSA 10 which I am convinced is not at this show after all the walking I've done in the past two days.

The AC was working better today, and they even had a bunch of those air dryers for mitigation when a home is all wet and they are trying to dry the inside. They were trying to keep it as cool as they can. It wasn't great but overall, an improvement from the last two previous days. The crowd was plentiful and everyone (except this one clown who got an attitude for no real reason except he was being a grump to the dealer) was in good spirits. Lots of kid's wives, girlfriends, mistresses, you name it - everyone was out and about. The autograph lines were packed, and people waited for over two hours to get an autograph of certain players.

I walked around a lot, and I did see more vintage today which was quite nice. There was plenty of graded and ungraded. The great thing about this show is that you can probably come with $300 or $5000 and still have a great time. You can definitely stretch your money and always come out with a few cards. Nothing better than finding something you really wanted or sometimes, you just don't have a particular card in mind until you actually come across it and it calls to you. It's pretty dangerous for those who perhaps have no self-control and just make purchases without really thinking in through. I have to imagine that more than have the folks are putting things on their PayPal or credit cards with no way of paying it back unless they now have to go home and sell off a bunch of items or perhaps, be making payments for the next 6 to 12 months until they pay it all back. Thats why it's best to bring cash. It makes you hold onto it a bit longer versus just swapping a card and now you have the item in your hand. Know your limitations and perhaps it's best to go there with cash and something in mind already that you are looking for.

Saturday Prior to the show (Final day for me)

Last day for me and many today. Although I'll miss the camaraderie with the folks who I have been hanging out with the past couple of days, I am also ready to go home this evening. Regardless of if I am able to find a 1984 Topps Mattingly in PSA 10, I will still say that this year's event was a success.

This show is BIG and as I've mentioned. Just how big? Well, the Chicago show just can't be done in 1 day anymore. Before there were about two general areas and it was easy to keep track of where you were. Today, there are about 4 areas now. The big main room (which they added even more tables, the second is still there but now they also opened up about two other big areas. There used to be one way in and out and now the whole thing connects so you have two ways in and out. The good thing about this is that the wait times to get in are much faster. No longer I think needed are the VIP tickets where one of the biggest benefits were getting into the show quicker. The long cattle lines to get in have pretty much dissolved and that's HUGE.

Inside, you can find things to eat. They have more places around selling things from Mexican food to grill centers placed all over and you are never far from any food or beer station. The prices are $10, $13, and $15. Miller Lite and Blue Moon are pretty much the main picks. I believe the last time I attended, they could have also had Yuengling but I also could be mistaken. Prices are expensive but the good thing is that while you can also bring snacks in, there are dealers who sell candy bars at their tables as well. You may even run into a kid with a little red wagon selling water bottles and snacks at a very reasonable price.

As far as dealers go, many have been very nice. Sometimes you may come across one that perhaps doesn't engage as much but most are fairly happy to just even discuss the hobby and perhaps even show you cool items they picked up during the show. While prices can sometimes be all over the place, generally, they are within a certain range for certain cards and the ones that you see plenty of, it's easier to negotiate for a better price. If not, you can always find the same card just a couple of tables down. Now for the scarcer items, you may not have the same bargaining power. And when it comes to centering, yes, you will pay a premium. I'm not talking about centering on a 1984 Fleer card but more like cards from the 70's and before. Dealers are not at all offended if you make an offer, but at eats make a reasonable one where both can be happy. Remember, they also have to make table and they also have to cover their hotel and traveling expenses just like we do.

The Chicago location is very popular amongst the collectors and it's in a centralized location. You have plenty of hotel close by and within walking distance. Even a few directly across from the convention center itself. The airport is literally less than two miles. No need to take an uber to and from as most hotels offer free shuttle service. A little tip: Even if you aren't staying at one of the hotels but just want to go straight to the show after arriving, just hop on any one of the shuttle hotels and they'll take you to the hotel. They don't check if you are a guest or not prior to hopping on. Then just walk across the street to the convention - but obviously don't tell them that

For those who drive, not sure how the parking situation is but most hotels do have parking. You may perhaps need to be a guest at one of the hotels, but I have to think that there are places to park. Prices the hotels charge may start at $29 and up. Especially when they know there will be big events, prices may be even higher. Next year's show I believe will be in Cleveland. I haven't been to that one, but I heard it's about a 20-minute uber ride to and from the convention as there are no hotels near the convention center over there. Again, that's what someone told me yesterday in conversation while we were discussing if we were planning on attending or not. As for booking hotels, don't sleep on that. They happen to get booked VERY quickly. Especially now with the amount of people who recently started collecting during 2020. Most hotels will let you book 6 months out and others even up to a year out. If you aren't one of those folks who plans early, then you can always get a hotel, but it will be further away and may be at least about a 15 to a 30-minute ride each way. Fortunately, I am staying across the street so if I am at the show and I wanted to step out to go back to my room and freshen up and go get something to eat, it's very convenient. And yes, there is free re-entry one you initially get in that day.

About to end with today's agenda. I will be there about 30 minutes earlier with a pass before the regular crowd starts filling it up. I plan on taking it easier and just enjoying it. Yesterday I was hitting table after table in hopes that a table picked up what I was looking for in a deal as cards are always trading hands/tables. I will be in the lookout today for a 1984 Topps Mattingly in PSA 10. I'm not sure why that card is so hard to find at this show but it's always available on eBay. I haven't been seeing too much 80's in PSA 10 but there's certainly no shortage of PSA 7's, 8's, and 9's. Thats also usually the answer I am given when I ask if they have it in a 10. "No, but I have a 9". Regardless of if I find one or not, it's not a big deal. Still walking away with two cards that I am happy with, and I had a great time reconnecting with folks. Aside from looking for that one card, I still have to make my National recap video. I did one in 2019 and in 2021 and they have been pretty heavily viewed within the YouTube community and it's pretty much just me walking around and talking about my experience, sharing tips that have helped me and just trying to make the viewer who has never attended get a good idea on what this whole event is like. This year, it's so massive that I'm sure I myself will also get lost but it'll still be fun times.

Thats it for now, about to start getting ready and I also have my bags to pack and take it with me. I heard you can leave your bag somewhere at the show, but I can't confirm that either. Since I just stayed for two nights, I have a bookbag with me, but it is heavy, and I preferably don't want to be carrying that on my back for the next few hours. Fortunately, I have some friends who are dealers and I have been lucky enough that a couple have even offered to hold my bag at their table on the last day, so I don't have to walk around with it. Again, nice people in the hobby and you do make real friendships.

Once I got back home (Final Thoughts)

So, I got back late in the evening. My flight departed just before 7pm. I believe I stayed at the venue until 3:45pm. Then I went to get some food next the hotel. Went back to the hotel and took the free shuttle service which runs back every half hour to and from the airport. Felt great to be back home and sleep in my bed. Woke up this morning feeling refreshed. First time in perhaps four days.

I have been to just two Nationals prior to this one. 2019, 2021 and now 2023. 2019 Was amazing because it was my first. Also, it was before the big boom which arrived in 2020 when all sorts of new people rediscovered their love of collecting cards. 2021 I didn't enjoy so much because it was just too crowded and perhaps because I didn't expect the volume of traffic from my previous time, and it was just way too much for me. This year was a great experience. The crowd was perhaps even more that the 2021 but since the convention center expanded more, I felt the people were better spread out. But make no mistake, there was even more people than in 2021, but at least I already knew what to expect coming in.

So, my final day at the show, I usually do a walkthrough video (posted in my previous post) in which I just simply walk the floor to try and give the viewer a natural feel of the showroom while talking to a few dealers to get their thoughts/perspective on the show from their perspective as well. As for searching for any cards, I feel like I had seen everything I was going to see and wasn't expecting to find what I was looking for if I already didn't see it on the previous two days. I did meet up again with Jeff (Card Country) and while I was talking to him, fellow board members Matt Miller as well as Bobby came up and said hi. It was nice to see them as I haven't seen them since 2019. We caught up for a bit and took a photo together (posted below). I would also hang out with another board member legend, Mdube16, and his son, Logan. Both are really people. Very knowledgeable of the hobby and overall, just a wonderful and positive personality. We also took a photo together (posted below).

The show overall was really great. There was so much to see. In fact, I think it was even too much, but it clearly shows that the hobby is thriving which is great to see. You will be bumping into people from time to time so don't try and take it personal. Some people are just in their own world, and also trying to get through the sea of people. Most will even say "sorry" or "my bad" even if it was their fault. I would say that about 99% of the people I came across were nice and polite. Lots of kids at these shows. I enjoyed seeing pretty much all different age ranges of collectors. Even parents who don't collect themselves but brough their kids simply because they know how much it meant to them and these kids are just so happy to be there. It was great to see.

Overall, I had a great time. My feet were killing me each day after returning from the show, but it was worth it. I hope this gives you good feel for this year's show and for those who have never gone, that it helps them get a good idea of what to possibly expect. For those who have attended but couldn't make it this year, there will be other shows and I hope to meet some of you there in the future.

Below was the video walkthrough that I did. It was filmed on Saturday. It's a bit lengthy but should also give you a good feel for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzMs1nG3beg&t=9s