NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2023, 03:09 AM
CJ

Default Requesting Better Shipping Methods From An Auction House. Tips?

I won a few lots of pre-war things from a small online auction house. I'll be all in for about $600, but I think the items are worth significantly more than what I paid... like, A LOT more. I got an absolute steal, and I want the stuff to be safe in transit.

I believe that they typically ship flat rate through the USPS.

Should I just let them do their thing? Or, should I call and request different/safer/faster shipping than just flat rate?

If so, what would you recommend as a shipping option for something high dollar? Should I do certified mail?

Appreciate any input.

Last edited by Prof; 07-27-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof View Post
I won a few lots of pre-war things from a small online auction house tonight. I'll be all in for about $600, but I think the items are worth significantly more than what I paid... like, A LOT more. I got an absolute steal, and I want the stuff to be safe in transit.

I believe that they typically ship flat rate through the USPS.

Should I just let them do their thing? Or, should I call and request different/safer/faster shipping than just flat rate?

If so, what would you recommend as a shipping option for something high dollar? Should I do certified mail?

Appreciate any input.
It never hurts to discuss with the auction house. Many use several types of shippers. However, their maybe extra cost involved.
And if you got some great prices CONGRATS

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-27-2023, 05:52 AM
Brian R

I can't imagine that they wouldn't be willing to ship however you requested (and pass any additional cost onto you, obviously), and it doesn't hurt to ask. If safety is your prime concern, USPS registered mail is the safest option. Every person who touches the package in transit has to sign for it, so if it did go missing, the postal inspectors can go right to the last guy who had it. As a result, a) they don't go missing and b) it does take a little longer to get to you
Old 07-27-2023, 06:54 AM

They may say no, or make you pay the difference (which is fair), but it can’t hurt ask.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:02 AM
Ben North

I will go the other way and say let the company that regularly ships as part of its business do its job without harassing them.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:10 AM

Request Registered Mail. Slow but safe.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:14 AM
Dave

If I got something from an auction house that I knew was worth many times what I paid for it...I'd probably be very quiet about it, and hold my breath and assume I will get the package with as little fanfare as possible.

However, not knowing what their shipping practices are, it can't hurt to send them a polite note asking them to pack as securely as possible, as this is a very important package to you.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
If I got something from an auction house that I knew was worth many times what I paid for it...I'd probably be very quiet about it, and hold my breath and assume I will get the package with as little fanfare as possible.

However, not knowing what their shipping practices are, it can't hurt to send them a polite note asking them to pack as securely as possible, as this is a very important package to you.
Not really seeing how requesting a different method of shipment would raise any eyebrows. He did pay $600, not $6.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:02 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Not really seeing how requesting a different method of shipment would raise any eyebrows. He did pay $600, not $6.

There's not really a lot of details in the original post, so I have no idea what would raise eyebrows.

Should he ask them to insure $600 worth of winnings for $25,000? Don't know. Have no idea what he won.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:13 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
There's not really a lot of details in the original post, so I have no idea what would raise eyebrows.

Should he ask them to insure $600 worth of winnings for $25,000? Don't know. Have no idea what he won.
For postal insurance, coverage is limited to the actual value of the contents regardless of the fee paid. The only proof of the actual value would be the bill of sale from the auction house, the actual purchase price. They are also pretty specific regarding their reimbursement policy when it comes to collectibles and artwork.

As others have mentioned, registered mail would be the safest.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:34 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

I’d just let ‘em ship it the way they regularly do. What is the item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2023, 01:03 PM
Pete Sycks

I have a smaller auction house try and charge $160 to ship my 1 card I won. I told them to waive insurance (I always do) and they refused. I told them I'd send a return label and they literally just slap it on a box. They did and it cost $17.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 07-27-2023, 01:26 PM

Default one card ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I have a smaller auction house try and charge $160 to ship my 1 card I won. I told them to waive insurance (I always do) and they refused. I told them I'd send a return label and they literally just slap it on a box. They did and it cost $17.

. $160.00 to ship one card . No. That is an error .?? If , however , what you're saying is the truth , then perhaps you could give the other members on here the name of your " smaller auction house " so that no other members in here get such treatment .. . Just the initials would be enough , so as not to cause any legal problems. We all thank you .,

Old 07-27-2023, 01:42 PM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
. $160.00 to ship one card . No. That is an error .?? If , however , what you're saying is the truth , then perhaps you could give the other members on here the name of your " smaller auction house " so that no other members in here get such treatment .. . Just the initials would be enough , so as not to cause any legal problems. We all thank you .,

I don't want to call out of the AH, but needless to say I'll spend my money elsewhere. I've told people for years that most ahs have to be taking money off of the top with insurance charges. Even when the invoice is in the 5 figures the auction house doesn't take out insurance on every individual package, they have a blanket coverage for everything sent out. It has to cost them 5% of what they charge. I have a 3rd party insurance company that cost me $600/year to cover everything I send out up to 20k / package.

Last edited by sycks22; 07-27-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:03 PM
Jay Cee

Many times, I’ve asked the AH to ship the cheapest way possible which they do and have lowered my shipping cost. I’ve complained about this for years, but every time I hear an AH saying they are charging me actual cost with insurance I just laugh. They are passing on absorbent costs from the shippers (fedex, ups, usps). All legit AHs need to have a third party private insurance policy where everything ships air delivery w/adult signature.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I'll be all in for about $600, but I think the items are worth significantly more than what I paid... like, A LOT more. I got an absolute steal, and I want the stuff to be safe in transit.
Define "more than you paid, LOT more, absolute steal". Is it worth $1000 ? $6000 ? $20,000 ? $200,000 ?
Old 07-27-2023, 02:33 PM
Rob

If it's a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle, I would fly in and tell them I happened to be in the neighborhood and pick it up.

If it's a Mike Trout, I would let them just ship it instead of trying to explain rBat and wrc+ to the lady.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:36 PM
Eric Perry

Asking them to ship via Registered Mail: sure, I'd ask.

Telling them the package is special and asking them to package carefully: again, sure.

Not sure if I'd ask them to insure it for some staggering sum, though. If you were the only one who noticed a high-value item slip beneath the radar, it might be best to keep that bit of info to yourself until the item is in hand.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-27-2023, 03:03 PM
CJ

Sorry for the vagueness of my original post. I'm trying not to jinx myself or count my chickens before they hatch.

Last edited by Prof; 07-27-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 03:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Sorry for the vagueness of my original post. I'm trying not to jinx myself or count my chickens before they hatch.

[Removed]
At that big of a steal, don't message them and possibly make anyone take a second look at what they're selling for $600. And don't post this much detail before someone traces it to the auction and tries something lol. Just be patient and celebrate when it arrives
Old 07-27-2023, 03:40 PM
CJ

Noted.

Yeah, that's why I don't know how to handle the situation. The more attention brought to it, the more likely something gets sketchy. But damn, I've been stressing about it for a few weeks already, and now I will be until I have the stuff in my possession.

Ideally, I'd fly or drive to pick the stuff up. Just not feasible for me right now.

Last edited by Prof; 07-27-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Please share pics of your chickens when they arrive.
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 07-28-2023, 12:41 PM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I will go the other way and say let the company that regularly ships as part of its business do its job without harassing them.
+1

Yep - I agree

They been doin shipping for a long time and Im guessin that the vast majority of their items arrive safe and on time.
Old 07-28-2023, 12:53 PM

Asking for signature confirmation is an inexpensive way to ensure you receive your items.

I recently had an issue with an AH not requiring signature confirmation on my item. The item was left outside and stolen. Very frustrating.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Asking for signature confirmation is an inexpensive way to ensure you receive your items.

I recently had an issue with an AH not requiring signature confirmation on my item. The item was left outside and stolen. Very frustrating.
My fedex guy just leaves packages on the doorstep that should have needed a signature. Maybe he signs for me......
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 07-28-2023, 04:49 PM
CJ

Spoke with the auction house today. I asked about their normal process, then agreed with that- to not cause a fuss or extra attention.

I did make sure to request a box for extra protection, just in case they were going to do an envelope/mailer.

Tracking info will be provided by them.

I am on very good terms with my USPS worker, and I'm home when they deliver.

I'll just park myself outside in a lawn chair when the day comes.

I will share an update in ~2 weeks.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:15 AM

Default Just To Be Sure :

[QUOTE=Prof;2359503]Spoke with the auction house today. I asked about their normal process, then agreed with that- to not cause a fuss or extra attention.

I did make sure to request a box for extra protection, just in case they were going to do an envelope/mailer.

Tracking info will be provided by them.

I am on very good terms with my USPS worker, and I'm home when they deliver.

I'll just park myself outside in a lawn chair when the day comes.

Go onto the USPS Tracking site , put in your number , and re-fresh every 4 or 6 hours . Take Maalox for the new holes in your stomach lining. You can sleep after the card arrives safely . We've all been there .

Old 07-29-2023, 11:15 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

Buy a $50,000 card from me and see what you get charged. Everything has a reason, you're not always getting ripped off. Of course I don't know the details in this case, but it's not impossible that it was a fair price.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-29-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:18 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Many times, I’ve asked the AH to ship the cheapest way possible which they do and have lowered my shipping cost. I’ve complained about this for years, but every time I hear an AH saying they are charging me actual cost with insurance I just laugh. They are passing on absorbent costs from the shippers (fedex, ups, usps). All legit AHs need to have a third party private insurance policy where everything ships air delivery w/adult signature.
I would guess most companies DO have third party insurance. Ours costs us well over 5 figures annually. We pass that cost on in our shipping at a VERY reduced rate over what your would pay for coverage from USPS, UPS or FED EX, that likely wouldn't even work if you tried to file a claim.

The idea that auction companies should do everything for free never gets old...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 07-29-2023, 04:59 PM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I would guess most companies DO have third party insurance. Ours costs us well over 5 figures annually. We pass that cost on in our shipping at a VERY reduced rate over what your would pay for coverage from USPS, UPS or FED EX, that likely wouldn't even work if you tried to file a claim.

The idea that auction companies should do everything for free never gets old...
Not saying you're wrong, but let's just say you spend 10k-15k in insurance per year. I can guarantee most auction houses aren't only charging 10k-15k per year to their customers. I'm saying if a larger auction house had 1000 lots and some winners are paying $100-$300 for insurance per invoice that's well over 10k/year and also most larger auction house have 2-5 huge auctions a year.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:08 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but let's just say you spend 10k-15k in insurance per year. I can guarantee most auction houses aren't only charging 10k-15k per year to their customers. I'm saying if a larger auction house had 1000 lots and some winners are paying $100-$300 for insurance per invoice that's well over 10k/year and also most larger auction house have 2-5 huge auctions a year.
Obviously I can't speak for every auction, but my accountant complains each year that we are getting killed on shipping. We charge actual shipping, no insurance under $400, and the aforementioned HIGHLY reduced rate for over $400 and $5 for time and materials.

Well that $5 is a joke as one box, some tape, packing materials, paper, ink and 5 minutes of packing time and we're already way past that. We lose money every year in shipping so if I make up a few pesos of that loss on the excellent insurance we provide (again Fed EX and UPS won't even honor their own insurance on collectibles over $1000 even though they'll SELL you more than $1000 worth and then apologize later) I don't feel guilty.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh and while we are losing money shipping we still get the occasional shipping cost complaint.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-30-2023 at 07:10 AM.