NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2023, 10:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan0507 View Post
Possibly, but the question is- who will continue to buy these stars in 30 years to continue to drive up the price? Will the 20-30 somethings of today eventually find the same interest in T206 as the 20-30 somethings of 30 years ago? I think we all hope that the answer is yes, but it's hard to say right now. A huge driver of this hobby is nostalgia- will people be nostalgic for cards they never collected in their youth because they couldn't afford them? Or will they be nostalgic for the modern/ultra modern cards that they did buy?
In 1960 Burdick wrote that a card collection is "a magic carpet that takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day—brought to life in vivid picture and prose."

Card collecting isn't just about nostalgia for our own experiences, it is about a personality type that revels in old things and the continuum of history, that connects in a metaphysical sense with whatever inhabits old objects, that finds peace in the existence, the survival of a scrap of cardboard for a century or more, despite the way the world has changed. We collect because we are driven to it, just as an artist is driven to create art, a performer is driven to take to the stage. I saw Paul Rodriguez at an open mic, Jay Leno doing a set at a small club, not because they have to but because they need to.

Terence Mann : Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to card shows for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up the driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you buy a Ruth, you'll say. It's only $20,000 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the food court; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have an overpriced hot dog and soda somewhere along one of the aisles, where they sit dressed like children and look at baseball cards. And they'll read the cards and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. Collectors will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been cards. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But card collecting has marked the time. This cardboard, this hobby: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... collectors will come Ray. Collectors will most definitely come.

Or we'll all decide this is gigantic waste of time and we need to get a life, and burn the crap for warmth...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-27-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:08 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Plowing your money into graded common/common backs in grades 1-3 likely wont end well

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-27-2023, 11:27 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Adam, I think you captured the essence of what being a true collector is all about.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:29 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
In 1960 Burdick wrote that a card collection is "a magic carpet that takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day—brought to life in vivid picture and prose."

Card collecting isn't just about nostalgia for our own experiences, it is about a personality type that revels in old things and the continuum of history, that connects in a metaphysical sense with whatever inhabits old objects, that finds peace in the existence, the survival of a scrap of cardboard for a century or more, despite the way the world has changed. We collect because we are driven to it, just as an artist is driven to create art, a performer is driven to take to the stage. I saw Paul Rodriguez at an open mic, Jay Leno doing a set at a small club, not because they have to but because they need to.

Terence Mann : Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to card shows for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up the driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you buy a Ruth, you'll say. It's only $20,000 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the food court; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have an overpriced hot dog and soda somewhere along one of the aisles, where they sit dressed like children and look at baseball cards. And they'll read the cards and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. Collectors will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been cards. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But card collecting has marked the time. This cardboard, this hobby: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... collectors will come Ray. Collectors will most definitely come.

Or we'll all decide this is gigantic waste of time and we need to get a life, and burn the crap for warmth...
Very few things survive in our culture, and old things or ways of life are forgotten on a grand scale. Lives change, cultures change, and so do things that are old. I can guarantee what my dad thought was old and worthy of collecting, his grandkids and great grandkids will have absolutely no interest in preserving.

I was always waiting for grandkids so I could pass down my love for vintage cars. Well I have 4 grandkids, all under the age of 5. The problem now for me is what can I pass down to them? I was hoping to build each of them a classic of some sort that fit their own personality. Problem being vintage cars may not be allowed on our streets by that time nor can I afford them at going rate. How many people will preserve something that no longer can be used that once had value, but no longer will. Time changes much of what we don't think will ever change.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:00 PM
Rob

My understanding is that you don't collect baseball cards, except for Clemons, who has like 3 or 4 cards.

I wouldn't go to a Classic Mustang chat board and tell people that one day in the future Ford's will be worthless. For me it's a fun hobby.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:24 PM

Very few things survive in our culture.

My grandfather was a baseball fan, went to games, collected cards.
My dad was a baseball fan, went to games, collected cards.
I am a baseball fan, attended games, collect cards.
My kid is a fan, has gone to games, collects cards.

Baseball will continue to be played well after I am gone. And I suspect cards will continue to be made and collected many, many years from now.

My guess is that baseball cards and collecting are one of the few things that will survive.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:30 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
Very few things survive in our culture.

My grandfather was a baseball fan, went to games, collected cards.
My dad was a baseball fan, went to games, collected cards.
I am a baseball fan, attended games, collect cards.
My kid is a fan, has gone to games, collects cards.

Baseball will continue to be played well after I am gone. And I suspect cards will continue to be made and collected many, many years from now.

My guess is that baseball cards and collecting are one of the few things that will survive.
Cool story, but that's the only way most people can have the cards many can't afford today from yesteryear. I can guarantee my Great grandfather, my grandfather, my dad and my son don't share the same interests. Until my dad there was little money, and lots of kids that worked as farm hands. Frivolous items didn't exist in their lives. My dad had a stick and rock to play Baseball with. He slept in a barn because they had a two room house for 8 kids and had no indoor plumbing. I can guarantee none of them went to a baseball game or had a card. If any where still here I would ask them.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:27 PM
Rob

I forgot to answer Dave's original question. My dad bought me a Leaf Jackie Robinson for $45 and 20 years later I sold it for $250, now it would be $4000. Is this sustainable? I don't know. Maybe Chad is correct, but I try to stay within a budget, like with anything else, vacations, sporting events, etc.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I forgot to answer Dave's original question. My dad bought me a Leaf Jackie Robinson for $45 and 20 years later I sold it for $250, now it would be $4000. Is this sustainable? I don't know. Maybe Chad is correct, but I try to stay within a budget, like with anything else, vacations, sporting events, etc.
Rob,

Talking about one specific card, from one specific set, from one specific player, who is also recognized as one of the all-time greats of the game, AND as well as for his place in history in regards to issues surrounding segregation and racism not just in baseball, but in everyday life here in the U.S. as well. Not sure that is a good or particularly relevant example to use to help decide this particular question.

Also, I don't think the question should necessarily include or be about the recent pandemic surge in prices we've seen as well. Kind of like stocks, card prices can fluctuate on a more current basis over time. But to me, the OP's question is will those card prices over time continue to show an overall, ongoing rise.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Rob,

Talking about one specific card, from one specific set, from one specific player, who is also recognized as one of the all-time greats of the game, AND as well as for his place in history in regards to issues surrounding segregation and racism not just in baseball, but in everyday life here in the U.S. as well. Not sure that is a good or particularly relevant example to use to help decide this particular question.

Also, I don't think the question should necessarily include or be about the recent pandemic surge in prices we've seen as well. Kind of like stocks, card prices can fluctuate on a more current basis over time. But to me, the OP's question is will those card prices over time continue to show an overall, ongoing rise.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
But to me, the OP's question is will those card prices over time continue to show an overall, ongoing rise.
Of course, I don’t know the answer to this. But I do know prices have gone up regularly and steadily over the 40 years I have been collecting, despite the fact that every person who saw and remember the t206 players has been dead for decades. I believe that trend will continue.

Vintage Vern, you can play with your cars. I will play with my cardboard. Time will tell who is right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 772B7DB2-02C0-413A-BA62-2B857FD781F2.jpg (141.5 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 03-27-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:54 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
The OP’s question was how much would it cost to put together/obtain a 520 set in 1-3 condition.

Posters took the the thread in a different direction - whether t206 prices will continue to rise. Of course, I don’t know the answer to this. But I do know prices have gone up regularly and steadily over the 40 years I have been collecting, despite the fact that every person who saw and remember the t206 players has been dead for decades. I believe that trend will continue.

Vintage Vern, you can play with your cars. I will play with my cardboard. Time will tell who is right.
Sorry Ryan, but did you not read the actual title to this thread before calling me out on what I posted?

"T206 Set...Minus the Big Four, and other Subsets...Will values keep climbing?"

That was the initial question posed by the OP, and since it was the actual title to this thread, would assume that it was also fully intended as the main question of this thread as well. Or am I missing something else?
Old 03-27-2023, 07:47 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Of course, I don’t know the answer to this. But I do know prices have gone up regularly and steadily over the 40 years I have been collecting, despite the fact that every person who saw and remember the t206 players has been dead for decades. I believe that trend will continue.

Beautiful cards Ryan.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-28-2023, 03:50 PM
Chad

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't have any cars to play with. I wasn't afforded the luxury of getting them for a song and a dance 40 to 50 years ago. My dad passed away at 59 and my mom had to sell what he had to live, so I got nothing passed down.The car hobby has been lost to investments over hobby, and it started in the late 80s. The people that hold them want more than most can afford or many don't have the appeal of what people want today. This is happening with every aspect of life for most along with the hobbies that all become investments when big pockets take over.

My parents bought a house for the same money I can buy a top of the line TV for today. My cell phone bill is more than the cost they had for the entire month of living expenses. Cars will always be here same as cards, but less people can afford them. The market will always fade. I'll put it this way. If I could afford to build a show car like my dad was able to do it wouldn't be from the same era of vehicles, same with my son. We may all have the same interest, but wouldn't be the same type of cars. Cards will also follow this path for the most part. I doubt if you where just starting out today with today's prices your outlook would be the same. Its not a buy low sell high type of thing in today's market. Its buy high hope it goes higher. It will for the big fish, but that's about it. Some people are forgetting they started this trend that are posting here 40 50 60 years ago. To say new blood will keep this thing going is a hard sell in my opinion. A big reason is the amount you will get, to what they will have to pay to keep it as popular. Our own greed is a huge part of the problem. It turns a hobby into an investment.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 03-28-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Rob,

Bob, I could have chosen more examples. Dave's question has already been answered by many others above. I was responding to Chad's 5 or so posts in a row that cards are bad and realized I was going off topic, and tried to circle back.

I know I oversimplify things and make too many loose analogies.

Around 1980,T206 Cobbs in vg were around $125 when the Leaf Jackie was $45. Leaf Ruth was $75. Prices have soared in the last 20 years. To me the wild surge around the pandemic were cards from 2000-present, which to me is a different hobby.

Last edited by RCMcKenzie; 03-27-2023 at 08:17 PM. Reason: put in 1980
Old 03-27-2023, 08:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

For me this is a hobby, my goal is to put a collection together that means something to me, yes I'm glad that some of my cards are worth more than I paid but that's not the point. I'm enjoying myself and when I'm gone and my kids sell off my collection it may be worth $2000 or $200,000, doesn't matter, they can take the money and do something they enjoy with it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-27-2023, 08:55 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Bob, I could have chosen more examples. Dave's question has already been answered by many others above. I was responding to Chad's 5 or so posts in a row that cards are bad and realized I was going off topic, and tried to circle back.

Around 1980,T206 Cobbs in vg were around $125 when the Leaf Jackie was $45. Leaf Ruth was $75. Prices have soared in the last 20 years. To me the wild surge around the pandemic were cards from 2000-present, which to me is a different hobby.
Rob,

No problem, you make great points, but I was thinking in terms of what the OP was specifically asking about in regard to the main T206 set. The vast majority of which is actually going to be cards of common players. I can also see, and understand, your point about responding to others. I fully agree with you in regard to what you were saying about the Jackie card, but like I pointed out, that Jackie card, as well as Ruth's Leaf card, and so on, are not exactly your normal, everyday common cards. LOL And cards such as those seem to have been boosted more so than others by the recent pandemic price surge, but lately now seem to have been coming back down to Earth a little bit. I didn't expect them to remain at those apex pandemic price surge values, but also don't count them coming back down some as a free fall, just a bit of a market correction for now, I think. Good posts, great thread.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:55 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

Rob,

No problem, you make great points, but I was thinking in terms of what the OP was specifically asking about in regard to the main T206 set. The vast majority of which is actually going to be cards of common players. I can also see, and understand, your point about responding to others. I fully agree with you in regard to what you were saying about the Jackie card, but like I pointed out, that Jackie card, as well as Ruth's Leaf card, and so on, are not exactly your normal, everyday common cards. LOL And cards such as those seem to have been boosted more so than others by the recent pandemic price surge, but lately now seem to have been coming back down to Earth a little bit. I didn't expect them to remain at those apex pandemic price surge values, but also don't count them coming back down some as a free fall, just a bit of a market correction for now, I think. Good posts, great thread.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:05 PM
Chad

Quote:
My understanding is that you don't collect baseball cards, except for Clemons, who has like 3 or 4 cards.

I wouldn't go to a Classic Mustang chat board and tell people that one day in the future Ford's will be worthless. For me it's a fun hobby.
No, he has 6 not including the reprint, but has at least 1 colgan's chips as well. I seen 2 listed, but have only seen 1 that has actually surfaced. The curtis ireland have no idea if any exist. I actually find it much more challenging trying to find his cards then many that are easy to get. Especially if you have endless funds. I actually had cards when I was younger from the 30s 50s through the 70s. My Mom gave them away. I collect more than just Verne,he's just part of.

Sad fact is many classic cars will be worthless other than museum pieces. The same thing is happening with them as with any other hobby which turns more into an investment. The big pockets drive the market out of reach for the common person to participate, and people lose interest because they can't have, but to dream of. If you actually compare the two they have a lot of similarities on how both have been turned into investments vs hobby.