NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2022, 06:38 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default Thinking of Soaking off Scrap paper from '55 Clementes

So, this whole thing scares the beejeebuz out of me, but I have two Clemente rookies, both of which were glued down at some point in their lives. I have been practicing on other cards that came with them and so far seems like it might be okay. Checked in with SGC and they told me that doing this does not automatically make it altered or automatically Authentic at best. Mainly, i just don't want a bunch of old construction paper on the back of them.

Have not taken the plunge. Wondering if anyone else has tried to do this with 50s Topps cards. Below are the two cards in question:

[IMG]IMG_6429 by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6430 by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by LACardsGuy; 08-29-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:40 PM
pete ullman

U sure its not paper loss? Depends on the type of glue that was used which will determine whether it comes off or not.

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-29-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:53 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

judging by the other cards, the one in photo that shows back of card is more scrap book paper that didn't come off. The first photo shows the other card that is still attached to paper beyond its borders
Old 08-29-2022, 07:11 PM
Chris Counts

It looks like scrapbook residue to me. I've never successfully soaked Topps cards. I know lots of people do it with T206s, and I had great luck soaking some 1941 Play Balls out of an album.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

First, DON'T DO ANYTHING YET!!!

Next, read what others have posted. My first quick glance at the Clemente made me think it was paper LOSS, not scrapbook paper. Old tobacco cards were often flour pasted into scrapbook pages. Topps cards were seldom pasted in a scrapbook. Flour paste will dissolve with water, most glues won't. Old tobacco cards withstand soaking extremely well. Most Topps cards DON'T.

Before you soak that card, think about the down side of you waiting in 2 or 3 weeks to soak that Clemente card... Realistically, no down side. The up side is you have time to learn. Search on eBay and buy 2 or 3 very worn 1955 Topps cards. When you get them, soak the worst one for an hour, then dab water away, then let it air dry for a bit (I like standing on edge for 20 minutes or so), then press it enough to let it dry flat. The goal is for the card to still be flat while your blotting paper absorbs the moisture. Try to avoid mashing the water out of the card so that you end up with a thinner card (mashing increases the damage done). Then, assess your results and soak another 1955 Topps...

ADDED... having reassessed the photos, I see the one card on a page. It looks glued to me. I don't think that glue will dissolve with water. If you're determined to get that off, then give thought to this: cut away a bit of that big paper that has excess glue on it, it's to the right of that Pirate logo in the top right corner of the card. Don't use all of it, use little pieces of that as you search for something that will dissolve it. I think you'll need a non-polar solvent, think alcohol, lighter fluid, carbon tetrachloride... something like alcohol lamp fuel from Lowe's . lighter fluid will leave a slightly oily residue and a scent. I'm not wanting you to put that on the Clemente card, but rather see if any of those will dissolve that glue. If you find something that dissolves it

I think you'll find that 1955 Topps don't soak very well.

Are both cards that you're wanting to soak 1955s?

If the paper is absolutely/definitely scrapbook paper (which I doubt from the picture) then you don't have to soak the card, just dampen the scrapbook paper so that it softens, then gently nudge with a Qtip to remove, then gently 'wash' that spot to remove paste residue (most glues won't soak well). Try this first on one of your practice 1955 Topps cards from the eBay purchase... with a pinch of flour paste a piece of tissue or toilet paper onto one of your practice Topps cards, and after it has had time to dry, then try to dampen and nudge...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-29-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Under Daffy Nitions part of the white area is raised. That can't be paper loss?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:54 PM
Frank Wakefield

It may be raised, and then it'd not be paper loss.

But it also might have places that are paper loss under the added paper.

EG, I try to peel a 1955 Topps card off of a scrapbook page, when I'm done I see some card remnants on the page... Hmmmm... I cement that Topps card onto a scrapbook page and sell that to someone on eBay or somewhere. Point is, no telling about what's going on with the back we don't see.

I'm frustrated that all of what I tried to explain didn't survive my 20th century skill set in the 21st century thread editing process.... part of it vanished, maybe I hit an errant combination of keys.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:45 PM
Dave Foster

So what have you got to lose? It's not like you are fooling with a NM card. From the pics, I'd call it VG at best even w/o the excess paper. So, a successful soaking attempt won't raise the initial grade. I did the soak act a while ago with a couple of '52T having the same kind of excess paper. Paper came off no sweat, after a 30 min soak in warm tap water. After removing the excess paper, I pressed both cards inside a few paper towels like Bounty, to suck up the moisture, stuck them enclosed in the Bounty wrap on a hard flat surface weighted down with three cinder blocks. Checked on the effort in 24 hours and . . . Bingo! Mission accomplished!
Old 08-30-2022, 12:21 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
It may be raised, and then it'd not be paper loss.

But it also might have places that are paper loss under the added paper.

EG, I try to peel a 1955 Topps card off of a scrapbook page, when I'm done I see some card remnants on the page... Hmmmm... I cement that Topps card onto a scrapbook page and sell that to someone on eBay or somewhere. Point is, no telling about what's going on with the back we don't see.

I'm frustrated that all of what I tried to explain didn't survive my 20th century skill set in the 21st century thread editing process.... part of it vanished, maybe I hit an errant combination of keys.
Excellent point which we all need to remember...... its is always possible that you are NOT the first person to attempt to remove paper or glue..... you never know whats under there as far as a prior failed rescue mission! Good luck!!
Old 08-30-2022, 02:13 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Nice piece

Tough decision

Good luck either way

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-30-2022, 05:12 AM
Albert Bee

Default paper

Ive done it many times...lightly wet area ..let it set in...gently scrape with finger nail....when done..you will see glue residue left
Old 08-30-2022, 05:57 AM

I would use an eye dropper with distilled water to wet only the scrapbook paper. Let it soak in for a few minutes and gently scrape it off with a razor blade. You may have to re-wet the scrapbook paper once you scrape off a layer and repeat the process until you have removed all the residue.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeters View Post
I would use an eye dropper with distilled water to wet only the scrapbook paper. Let it soak in for a few minutes and gently scrape it off with a razor blade. You may have to re-wet the scrapbook paper once you scrape off a layer and repeat the process until you have removed all the residue.
That sounds good but I use a Q tip to scrape off the residue. It has worked many times.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:16 AM
Matt

Default My opinion....

50's cards soak well. Excess paper should release and float in 10 minutes or less IF the glue used was water based back when they were pasted into the scrapbook. I would not hesitate trying it, but you need to submerge the whole card in distilled water and then dry it at an even rate between paper towel, changing them out frequently early on when the card is the dampest. I've had great success with 53-57 Topps & Bowman cards in the past. If you're still hesitant, send them to an experienced Net54 member and we can give them a try. Hope this helps!
Old 08-30-2022, 09:56 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Thanks!
Using some of the cheap cards from the group, I have assessed that the stuff on back of the one is definitely scrapbook paper. I soaked a variety of different 55s and 56s from the group, and it always came off. Have been drying between paper towels between some cookbooks. When they are dry (still moist after about 12 hours), i'll post of scans. Not doing anything to Clementes (two of them) yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
First, DON'T DO ANYTHING YET!!!

Next, read what others have posted. My first quick glance at the Clemente made me think it was paper LOSS, not scrapbook paper. Old tobacco cards were often flour pasted into scrapbook pages. Topps cards were seldom pasted in a scrapbook. Flour paste will dissolve with water, most glues won't. Old tobacco cards withstand soaking extremely well. Most Topps cards DON'T.

Before you soak that card, think about the down side of you waiting in 2 or 3 weeks to soak that Clemente card... Realistically, no down side. The up side is you have time to learn. Search on eBay and buy 2 or 3 very worn 1955 Topps cards. When you get them, soak the worst one for an hour, then dab water away, then let it air dry for a bit (I like standing on edge for 20 minutes or so), then press it enough to let it dry flat. The goal is for the card to still be flat while your blotting paper absorbs the moisture. Try to avoid mashing the water out of the card so that you end up with a thinner card (mashing increases the damage done). Then, assess your results and soak another 1955 Topps...

ADDED... having reassessed the photos, I see the one card on a page. It looks glued to me. I don't think that glue will dissolve with water. If you're determined to get that off, then give thought to this: cut away a bit of that big paper that has excess glue on it, it's to the right of that Pirate logo in the top right corner of the card. Don't use all of it, use little pieces of that as you search for something that will dissolve it. I think you'll need a non-polar solvent, think alcohol, lighter fluid, carbon tetrachloride... something like alcohol lamp fuel from Lowe's . lighter fluid will leave a slightly oily residue and a scent. I'm not wanting you to put that on the Clemente card, but rather see if any of those will dissolve that glue. If you find something that dissolves it

I think you'll find that 1955 Topps don't soak very well.

Are both cards that you're wanting to soak 1955s?

If the paper is absolutely/definitely scrapbook paper (which I doubt from the picture) then you don't have to soak the card, just dampen the scrapbook paper so that it softens, then gently nudge with a Qtip to remove, then gently 'wash' that spot to remove paste residue (most glues won't soak well). Try this first on one of your practice 1955 Topps cards from the eBay purchase... with a pinch of flour paste a piece of tissue or toilet paper onto one of your practice Topps cards, and after it has had time to dry, then try to dampen and nudge...
Old 08-30-2022, 09:58 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

this is same thing i have been doing on the other commons. What I have to lose is if it just destroys card. I had a bad experience trying to do this with a '34 Hank Greenberg years ago. DESTROYED the card. Big bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
So what have you got to lose? It's not like you are fooling with a NM card. From the pics, I'd call it VG at best even w/o the excess paper. So, a successful soaking attempt won't raise the initial grade. I did the soak act a while ago with a couple of '52T having the same kind of excess paper. Paper came off no sweat, after a 30 min soak in warm tap water. After removing the excess paper, I pressed both cards inside a few paper towels like Bounty, to suck up the moisture, stuck them enclosed in the Bounty wrap on a hard flat surface weighted down with three cinder blocks. Checked on the effort in 24 hours and . . . Bingo! Mission accomplished!
Old 09-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default The Results

After days and days of hemming and hawing, i pulled the trigger. Scrapbook paper came right off. There does seem to be some shininess where the glue was, but i can live with it. No damage and fronts (if anything) look a bit cleaner than before. Suppose I could do it again to try to get the glue (?) off, but I don't want to tempt fate.

[IMG]clementes by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]clemente backs by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACardsGuy View Post
After days and days of hemming and hawing, i pulled the trigger. Scrapbook paper came right off. There does seem to be some shininess where the glue was, but i can live with it. No damage and fronts (if anything) look a bit cleaner than before. Suppose I could do it again to try to get the glue (?) off, but I don't want to tempt fate.

[IMG]clementes by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]clemente backs by Philip Golden, on Flickr[/IMG]
Looks great! Nice work. I would be happy with that. It now looks like a nice card that was carefully removed from a scrapbook. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:21 PM
Frank Wakefield

Congratulations!

You have two nice looking Clemente cards. And you learned quite a bit. If you gather other cards with scrapbook remnants, paste, or glue, one day... you may recognize that what you've learned is more valuable than the 2 Clemente cards.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 09-02-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: second try at spelling less incorrectly