NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2022, 07:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default And in other News....

It's a year away but you can start unpacking the party whistles. It will be 6pm until....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg net54 page 1.jpg (76.4 KB, 1807 views)
Old 08-05-2022, 09:06 AM
Ben North

Nice, hoping to make next year my first National.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:22 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Nice!!! Always one if the highlights of the Chicago National is the Net54 get together!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-05-2022, 09:22 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Looking forward to seeing you there.
I took a members Advise and already booked Wednesday thru Saturday to stay at Lowe’s Chicago Ohare Hotel
And as I was looking it looked like some of the hotels were already getting full so start making reservations now. Nice thing about this hotel you can cancel until the day before and no penalties

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-05-2022, 10:03 AM
Justin

Awesome! It's on my calendar. Haven't been to the National since 2019 so really looking forward to it.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 08-05-2022, 11:32 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

This is the most buzz Ive ever seen around a National this far out. Lots of guys already jazzed about 2023.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:55 AM

Who can worry about the national in 2023, when we have Mile High, REA, LOTG, and Heritage all ending in August of 2022, followed immediately by Memory Lane??!!!
Old 08-05-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Who can worry about the national in 2023, when we have Mile High, REA, LOTG, and Heritage all ending in August of 2022, followed immediately by Memory Lane??!!!
+1
Old 08-05-2022, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I don't see anyone being worried. I am just excited about having another party at the National. This thread will die soon and then in about 10? months we can talk about it again.
But to your point, lots of great items up for auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogs.jpg (96.0 KB, 1584 views)
Old 08-05-2022, 12:28 PM
Chad

Looking forward to meeting some members then. Hoping it will be my first national. I usually have drill during national but will be retired by this time next year.

Thanks
Chad
T215 Type 1 Red Cross Walter Johnson
1914 Texas Tommy Type 1 Walter Johnson
1923-24 Billiken Pop Lloyd
1924-25 Aguilitas #846 and #870 Pop Lloyd
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Oliver "Ghost" Marcell
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Dobie Moore
1924-25 Aguilitas #874 Dobie Moore
Old 08-05-2022, 01:19 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't see anyone being worried. I am just excited about having another party at the National. This thread will die soon and then in about 10? months we can talk about it again.
This, I'm sure, will be the best news of the Chicago National. Thanks!

I think I recognize a couple of those dogs from either the pool hall or the poker table.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Hi Ryan,

Not worried about it and not worried about the cards at the show. I booked because the rooms are already filling up and I want to be close vs having to stay far.( and can always cancel the reservation if something changes in my schedule)

Also I want to book it because I enjoyed the experience and enjoyed meeting members of the forum and many dealers.
I was prepared to go to the 2022 National and not buy any cards with all the auctions and selections but when I went my addiction took over and I made a couple of purchases.
As for all the current auctions I will have to let my addiction vs my budget be my guide.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Hard to read in the lower right corner of the card, but is anyone else concerned that dog food was manufactured in the same city that was the epicenter of cereal manufacturing? I sure hope they did not mix up the kibble with my Captain Crunch when I was a kid.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-05-2022, 08:41 PM
Jeff R

Default How long to stay?

I’ve never attended before, but I am thinking about going to Chicago next year. For those of you that have been before, how long do you suggest going? Are there certain days that are better then other days to be there? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 08-05-2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
I’ve never attended before, but I am thinking about going to Chicago next year. For those of you that have been before, how long do you suggest going? Are there certain days that are better then other days to be there? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I think it depends on your goals and if you are bringing anyone with you. When my son was younger we spent more time at the corporate booths that the card companies set up, as they would often have activities for kids. If it's just me, it takes me a day to scope everything out and do a quick survey of the vintage dealer tables that are set up, and do some comparison shopping on some high dollar (but not rare) cards. I make a list of booths I want to visit again. I may try to fill some oddball sets that day since it's possible some stuff would be gone by the next day. If I want to consign anything, I'll usually do it that first day. I mostly will do most of my buying the next day. Sometimes, depending on when I have to get home across state lines, I may stay for the morning of a third day. I'm not into breaks, and I usually don't have anything for the graders, nor do I buy autograph tickets. So nearly all of my time is spent roaming around the dealer booths. I'm there from the minute it opens to the minute it closes. That's how I roll, but I know others have great strategies they've crafted to fit their needs!
Old 08-06-2022, 05:51 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
So nearly all of my time is spent roaming around the dealer booths. I'm there from the minute it opens to the minute it closes. That's how I roll, but I know others have great strategies they've crafted to fit their needs!
Jethrod -
this is how I am rolling next year- got caught up in some bells and whistles as a rookie, but I learned my lesson.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 08-06-2022, 06:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
I agree with scoping the place out taking pictures/notes of what you see and want to double back to.
Have a plan and stay focused.
As for the days to go. Depends on what you want to do. The Early days are great for finding the hardest/rarest/things you most want or need on your list. Because many of the items you are looking for might be gone by someone that came before you.
The prices are highest on the earliest days and dealers may make less deals (on Wed or THur) because they feel they have the full convention to sell their items. On Sat and Sundays as the National Show is coming closer to the end the prices and deals often get better but again selection is not as good.

IT also depends on the activities you intend to do both in the show and out of the show(since you are in Chicago for example) maybe you want to go to a ball game or something so depends the days they are playing.
Are you meeting with people if so what days they go may impact your plans.

I am going Wed thru Sat. I want the extra time. This year I did Wed, THur and Friday and was not enough time for me to meet people, meet dealers, have lunch with a few, and take my time to enjoy the show and all the details

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Jeff R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
I think it depends on your goals and if you are bringing anyone with you. When my son was younger we spent more time at the corporate booths that the card companies set up, as they would often have activities for kids. If it's just me, it takes me a day to scope everything out and do a quick survey of the vintage dealer tables that are set up, and do some comparison shopping on some high dollar (but not rare) cards. I make a list of booths I want to visit again. I may try to fill some oddball sets that day since it's possible some stuff would be gone by the next day. If I want to consign anything, I'll usually do it that first day. I mostly will do most of my buying the next day. Sometimes, depending on when I have to get home across state lines, I may stay for the morning of a third day. I'm not into breaks, and I usually don't have anything for the graders, nor do I buy autograph tickets. So nearly all of my time is spent roaming around the dealer booths. I'm there from the minute it opens to the minute it closes. That's how I roll, but I know others have great strategies they've crafted to fit their needs!
Great help, thank you for your response, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I agree with scoping the place out taking pictures/notes of what you see and want to double back to.
As for the days to go. Depends on what you want to do. The Early days are great for finding the hardest/rarest/things you most want or need on your list. Because many of the items you are looking for might be gone by someone that came before you.
The prices are highest on the earliest days and dealers may make less deals (on Wed or THur) because they feel they have the full convention to sell their items. On Sat and Sundays as the National Show is coming closer to the end the prices and deals often get better but again selection is not as good.

IT also depends on the activities you intend to do both in the show and out of the show(since you are in Chicago for example) maybe you want to go to a ball game or something so depends the days they are playing.

I am going Wed thru Sat. I want the extra time. This year I did Wed, THur and Friday and was not enough time for me to meet people, meet dealers, have lunch with a few, and take my time to enjoy the show and all the details
Jeff, thank you! Very helpful feedback.

I told my youngest son I was going next year (he’ll be 17 next year) and surprisingly, he nearly jumped out of his seat and wanted to go. It caught me off guard as he’s not a collector, but has plenty of cards from when he was younger as I would buy them as gifts. Anyway, it looks like he will be joining me, hence, taking in some sights as well as the show will probably be in order. Looks like I’m going from start to finish!
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 08-08-2022, 08:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yeap, I am going from Wed through Saturday too. I am already looking forward to it. I hope to meet a lot of members I haven't met before.

Quote:

Old 08-08-2022, 09:03 AM
Dave Carson

I'm in line with the earlier posters. I will drive to Chicago from Indy on Wednesday with plans to attend the Wednesday sneak peak, all day Thursday and most of the day Friday.

I booked the adjacent Hyatt for Wednesday and Thursday nights. Depending on how late I stay Friday I will either drove all the way back to Indy or get a room somewhere away from the show (plenty of rooms in Chicago).

I'm most likely coming by myself and like others, really don't plan to do the autographs or breaks. I'm there to see the tables. Usually by mid-afternoon on Friday I'm getting tired - and grouchy. By then I've usually seen every table once, or more than once. It is typically time to go home.

I've always gone with the option to stay Saturday if I want to. Haven't felt the need yet.

I like staying at the Hyatt to have access to my room during the show if I feel I need a quick break. Last year I didn't have a room there, but still walked over to use their public restrooms and grab a sandwich from their grab and go place. Better than the food at the show, just as high priced.

When I haven't stayed at the Hyatt, I've taken a cooler with me. I bought a sandwich in the morning on the way in at Trader Joe's and went out to the car for my lunch.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:13 AM
Bob Andrews

Well I may get back to a National after all. Haven't been to one since the long ago Houston edition. The last two years I've been in the wrong place at the right time (I was in Chicago this year during the AC show and in Jersey last year during the Chicago show!). But we plan to visit our new grandson in Evanston every year for his July 28 birthday this may just work out.

If we're lucky the weather will be as freakishly nice next year in Chicagoland as it was when we were just there, 70s/low 80s with low humidity. It was perfect.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:22 AM
Brian Clatfelter

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing you there.
I took a members Advise and already booked Wednesday thru Saturday to stay at Lowe’s Chicago Ohare Hotel
And as I was looking it looked like some of the hotels were already getting full so start making reservations now. Nice thing about this hotel you can cancel until the day before and no penalties
Thanks for the info Jeff. I am now booked at Loews from Wed-Sun and look forward to meeting some of you. The last Chicago National was my first. Although a bit overwhelmed, I really enjoyed it. I checked out Hilton properties with their app and it is showing that most are already sold out. Last time, I stayed at Aloft, which was a short walk from the convention center. It was fine, but wanted to try something different this time.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:38 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Because of what I collect and the relative affordability ....I always go on Wednesday and Thursday...and usually leave earlier than expected. I can't tell you how many times I get messages from some collecting friends that go on the weekend and they say "Man...every autograph table I went to say they sold all of their X and X already"...knowing it was me ....or how many times early on Wednesdays I see guys digging through 68 Topps pulling out all of the Tigers.

I can usually clear out the place on Wednesday of 90& of what I am focused on...then use Thursday to re-trace and dig for my second tier stuff in the bargain bins or higher end 50's stuff.

Already have a place at Aloft (Free airport shuttle and 8 minutes walk from the center) for 2 nights...if I extend I will be sure to stop by the party Leon (Thanks)...would be great to meet a bunch of the board members!

Last edited by isiahfan; 08-08-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:08 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

What kind of get together is something like this? Drinks and cocktail hour type deal? Spread your cards out on a table like a trade night? Strippers and cocaine?
Old 08-09-2022, 06:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
What kind of get together is something like this? Drinks and cocktail hour type deal? Spread your cards out on a table like a trade night? Strippers and cocaine?
It will be an rsvp party for all net54baseball members and family.
It will be a 6 hour open bar with soft drinks and beer. Not sure about mixed drinks yet. There will be pizza and a few other snacks. Usually there's been a few speakers too....that's about it.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:20 PM
Brian Macdonald

Embassy Suites appears to be all booked

Is there a chance they are holding rooms for the time being, making rooms available at a later date?
Old 08-09-2022, 06:30 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
It will be an rsvp party for all net54baseball members and family.
It will be a 6 hour open bar with soft drinks and beer. Not sure about mixed drinks yet. There will be pizza and a few other snacks. Usually there's been a few speakers too....that's about it.
I’ll have to make it by. Sounds fun.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:30 PM
Dave Carson

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Embassy Suites appears to be all booked

Is there a chance they are holding rooms for the time being, making rooms available at a later date?
In the past you’ve been able to make reservations through a third party website Conference Housing that you access thru The National webpage. I just checked the page and it says hotel information will be posted this Fall

So yes I imagine many of the hotels have pledged rooms through this site. Maybe dealers get first crack at these rooms through a specific date?
Old 08-10-2022, 11:41 PM
N.ate A.dams

I will try to make next year my first National as well! Didn't want my first one to be Atlantic City...meh.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Stanage View Post
Jethrod -
this is how I am rolling next year- got caught up in some bells and whistles as a rookie, but I learned my lesson.
Oscar, I guess I do have to admit I get caught up in one or two bells or whistles under the right circumstances! I do buy a couple of boxes of 1 new product each year. I tend to prefer Upper Deck's Goodwin Champions, as I really enjoy opening that product and it doesn't break my bank, and most importantly, I can usually complete the base set from those 2 boxes. So...if UD is doing a redemption program for their special National card packs, and if Goodwin is included in the redemption program, I'll usually buy a couple of boxes from authorized UD dealers and then open the packs at the booth. They just want to see the packs opened and they collect the wrappers so I delay my gratification until later when I can really go through the cards I bought from the boxes. They give you I think 4 packs of cards per box, and if you are lucky, then your pack was seeded with a nice autograph card. UD usually has some exciting raffles during the day and if I'm in their area, I might participate. If UD doesn't have Goodwin ready in time for the National or it's not part of their redemption, I might buy Allen and Ginter, and then I'll go to the Topps booth where they usually have a redemption program dealie going on. Not a bad way to spend a few minutes, though there usually are some lines and crowds to deal with!
Old 08-11-2022, 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=I told my youngest son I was going next year (he’ll be 17 next year) and surprisingly, he nearly jumped out of his seat and wanted to go. It caught me off guard as he’s not a collector, but has plenty of cards from when he was younger as I would buy them as gifts. Anyway, it looks like he will be joining me, hence, taking in some sights as well as the show will probably be in order. Looks like I’m going from start to finish![/QUOTE]

You're quite welcome and glad that you got some good feedback. I thought of your post above when I also just responded to Oscar (above). Although I spend nearly all the time hitting the dealer booths, I did neglect to mention that I sometimes stop by the corporate booths when they have wrapper redemptions for some of their new products. Your mentioning of your son brought back memories of taking my son----we would always do the wrapper redemptions when he'd come with me and he was always luckier than me. He pulled an Ken Griffey Jr. autograph out of one of the wrapper redemption packs! Wish my son would go back with me again one year! Anyway, if you're into buying new product, your son might like some of the activities at the corporate booths like Upper Deck and Topps. Topps still runs the popular "Pack Wars" which kids love, and by kids, yup, I mean even the teenagers!
Old 06-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Chad

Quote:
10 month bump for Leon.

Chad
T215 Type 1 Red Cross Walter Johnson
1914 Texas Tommy Type 1 Walter Johnson
1923-24 Billiken Pop Lloyd
1924-25 Aguilitas #846 and #870 Pop Lloyd
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Oliver "Ghost" Marcell
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Dobie Moore
1924-25 Aguilitas #874 Dobie Moore
Old 06-09-2023, 06:45 PM

What time will this event start and where in the hotel?
Old 06-09-2023, 06:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of the Dugout View Post
What time will this event start and where in the hotel?
It will probably start at 6pm and go until 11-12..It will be in one of the hotel ballrooms, main floor. Not sure which one yet but they don't have too many. There will be an RSVP thread in the next few weeks, or so, with more definitive information. Looking forward to it.
And a postcard..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg women.jpg (154.9 KB, 447 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-09-2023 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:37 AM
Gary

Can't wait. I've just found out that I have a business trip to Chicago that week so I'll be able to be there and at the National on the Saturday.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Can't wait. I've just found out that I have a business trip to Chicago that week so I'll be able to be there and at the National on the Saturday.
I am in talks this week firming minor things up. FYI, it will be on Friday night. More info to come soon, as well as an RSVP thread in the next 3? weeks...