NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 07-30-2022, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default The PSA 101 Jordan is here

And man, they just kicked the crap out of it for centering. No way am I sending mine in LOL.

tps://www.ebay.com/itm/325284427832?hash=item4bbc767838:g:CQ0AAOSwm71i4Sw R

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

That is one nice looking 7.5. All I see is slight centering and a tiny touch to the bottom left corner.

Fixing the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/32528442783...OSwm71i4Sw%20R
Old 07-30-2022, 08:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
That is one nice looking 7.5. All I see is slight centering and a tiny touch to the bottom left corner.

Fixing the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/32528442783...OSwm71i4Sw%20R
If they are going to give that card a 7, a lot of 101 owners are going to be very disappointed. Very few of these except the hacked ones are better centered than this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If they are going to give that card a 7, a lot of 101 owners are going to be very disappointed. Very few of these except the hacked ones are better centered than this.
I don't know why I said 7.5...

A PSA 8 allows 70/30 on the front, a 7 75/25. Maybe there is a surface flaw or something, but this really looks like an 8 to me.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I don't know why I said 7.5...

A PSA 8 allows 70/30 on the front, a 7 75/25. Maybe there is a surface flaw or something, but this really looks like an 8 to me.
I think it’s just PSA being PSA hammering the crap out of cards.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

i saw a fun video on Youtube by some guy who bought a PSA 8 for $100K at the National.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-01-2022, 10:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe I should have posted this on the main board. An absolutely huge development, and the silence is deafening.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:23 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Maybe I should have posted this on the main board. An absolutely huge development, and the silence is deafening.
You are absolutely right, this is huge.

Values are going to (well honestly it looks like they already have) completely rocket. This card just hit the stratosphere.

Apologies to those that paid crazy money for the 3rd year Fleer rookies. I think this will really bring that cards glory down. I have a strong suspicion that the next 24 months will be something to watch with those values on both and with some serious juxtaposition.

Has any news come out on accepting the Court Kings Supers? I am one of the small minority that believes the blue border 26 could likely be the true rookie with release dates.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-02-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have it on very good authority that is the first Jordan card. However, I think it being oversize may limit its upside.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Here's the Court King.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan84ck.jpg (195.9 KB, 386 views)

Old 08-03-2022, 12:34 PM

Were the Supers ever reprinted?
Old 08-03-2022, 01:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Were the Supers ever reprinted?
Not to my knowledge, but neither were the 101s, that's a misconception.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.basketballgold.com/index.php

Old 08-03-2022, 10:02 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I’ve never heard of any supers being reprinted either Ray. Also, the HSN “reprints” are not even reprints. They were completely different series with misrepresented dates of manufacture that used older photos and are easily identified. The myths that have been spread on these cards are numerous.

It is or now was an absolute stain on PSA to have bought into that nonsense. I think much of the misrepresentation was to continue to support the Fleer values for investors as all the true RCs of many stars are in those Star sets, not in the 86 set.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-03-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:10 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I have it on very good authority that is the first Jordan card. However, I think it being oversize may limit its upside.
I think the long play will change the perspective much as it has in vintage with exhibits. The Court King 26 will someday get its due.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

The site I linked addresses many of the misconceptions.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I’ve never heard of any supers being reprinted either Ray. Also, the HSN “reprints” are not even reprints. They were completely different series with misrepresented dates of manufacture that used older photos and are easily identified. The myths that have been spread on these cards are numerous.

It is or now was an absolute stain on PSA to have bought into that nonsense. I think much of the misrepresentation was to continue to support the Fleer values for investors as all the true RCs of many stars are in those Star sets, not in the 86 set.
I think Beckett hurt star basketball too with the ridiculous XRC designation, but agree PSA takes most of the blame. It will be interesting to see where not only Jordan goes, but also Barkley Stockton and Hakeem.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

The huge irony is that there’s exactly one big time rookie card in 86 fleer. Karl Malone.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-03-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:52 AM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I think the long play will change the perspective much as it has in vintage with exhibits. The Court King 26 will someday get its due.
Totally agree. The 5x7 cards were innovative and contain some real iconic photos. Some feel the Court Kings 5x7 came out at the same time or just before the regular, standard-sized 1984-85 base set. I think its fair to say they were "virtually simultaneously" printed. We know that they were produced (printed and cut) at the print shop in Cherry Hill, NJ in early 1985, during the spring... but that's its. Impossible (so far) to prove anything else. I've seen some early documents from the Star/Levin sale and nothing proves otherwise to me personally.

That said, I consider the #101 Jordan's rookie card. I don't care what you call it (RC, XRC, FPC, TRC, etc). We all know what it really is. Jordan's other two base set cards, the #195 Olympic card and the #288 ROY card are also special, rookie year cards. To me, that's Jordan's rookie year complement of cards. Closely following is the CK 5x7 and the Interlake Bulls 5x7 (not a Star product) IMHO.

Team Supers 5x7 and CK 5x7 are awesome cards with no real authenticity issues and some have amazing photos, like the Barkley below.

I also agree that the Fleer investors are the ones raising issues with Star. Given the FBI case, the auctions, the Schonco inventory, TPG efforts, etc, Star Company is as well established as ANY card produced before 1990.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB 5x7 small.jpg (81.9 KB, 363 views)

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Barkley and Olajuwon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barkley.jpg (176.6 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg barkley84.jpg (172.1 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg olajuwon.jpg (196.3 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg olajuwonck.jpg (190.4 KB, 357 views)

Old 08-04-2022, 10:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Totally agree. The 5x7 cards were innovative and contain some real iconic photos. Some feel the Court Kings 5x7 came out at the same time or just before the regular, standard-sized 1984-85 base set. I think its fair to say they were "virtually simultaneously" printed. We know that they were produced (printed and cut) at the print shop in Cherry Hill, NJ in early 1985, during the spring... but that's its. Impossible (so far) to prove anything else. I've seen some early documents from the Star/Levin sale and nothing proves otherwise to me personally.

That said, I consider the #101 Jordan's rookie card. I don't care what you call it (RC, XRC, FPC, TRC, etc). We all know what it really is. Jordan's other two base set cards, the #195 Olympic card and the #288 ROY card are also special, rookie year cards. To me, that's Jordan's rookie year complement of cards. Closely following is the CK 5x7 and the Interlake Bulls 5x7 (not a Star product) IMHO.

Team Supers 5x7 and CK 5x7 are awesome cards with no real authenticity issues and some have amazing photos, like the Barkley below.

I also agree that the Fleer investors are the ones raising issues with Star. Given the FBI case, the auctions, the Schonco inventory, TPG efforts, etc, Star Company is as well established as ANY card produced before 1990.
I think the Lite, Crunch n Munch, Gatorade and Last 11 ROY cards are also good.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:33 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

The only super reprints I have seen are not the right size and immediately recognizable. It has been my opinion that the supers are the most undervalued basketball cards in the market.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:58 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
I think the Lite, Crunch n Munch, Gatorade and Last 11 ROY cards are also good.
I love them all! I just really favor the three base set 84-85 Jordan cards numbered 101, 195, 288.

So many nice cards produced by Star, glad PSA is finally on board. They'll move to the rest of the catalog after they get comfortable with the 84-85 set (I hope). You have some nice examples Peter.

A few big auctions of these cards going on now by large sellers on eBay. You guys interested/watching these? Could set some new price comp's.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Old 08-04-2022, 02:59 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
The only super reprints I have seen are not the right size and immediately recognizable. It has been my opinion that the supers are the most undervalued basketball cards in the market.
Me too.... I've been buying them up when I see the nicer ones for sale reasonably priced.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I love them all! I just really favor the three base set 84-85 Jordan cards numbered 101, 195, 288.

So many nice cards produced by Star, glad PSA is finally on board. They'll move to the rest of the catalog after they get comfortable with the 84-85 set (I hope). You have some nice examples Peter.

A few big auctions of these cards going on now by large sellers on eBay. You guys interested/watching these? Could set some new price comp's.
The 288 is notoriously off center hard to imagine one legitimately grading higher than a 7. Of course 195 is typically not that well centered either, or 101 for that matter. IMO Beckett graded a fair number that had been trimmed to improve centering. I hope those don't get into PSA slabs. The subset cards on the other hand don't have centering issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordancrunch.jpg (136.4 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg jordanlite.jpg (196.2 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg jordangatorade.jpg (56.3 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:06 PM
Jeremy

The 1984 Star Jordan 195 USA is finally in a PSA holder too! The centering on this one is virtually the same across all copies, but I have faith in my copy since it's a BGS 7.5 with much better corners and edges than this one, but unfortunately the same centering. I could see mine crossing over to a PSA 7 though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23463745700...QAAOSwUT5i4IwX
Old 08-04-2022, 10:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

So far, anyhow, I am not going to cross over my 101 or 195. They are mint cards but for typical centering and I think they would get shot down by PSA.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:14 PM
J@E R1T0

Same with me, have them in BGS 7.5s and that’s probably where they will stay.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:04 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I’ll be keeping mine in their current holders as is also. The value add comes from psa taking steps to reverse a ridiculous policy based in ignorance and laziness.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 08-07-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

This is a mint card and unless you trim it (which has been done) it's not going to come better centered. PSA for the man on the street is probably going to put it in a 6.5 or something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan84.jpg (146.2 KB, 303 views)

Old 08-07-2022, 10:56 AM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
This is a mint card and unless you trim it (which has been done) it's not going to come better centered. PSA for the man on the street is probably going to put it in a 6.5 or something.
So true, in the beginning of the Schonco/Beckett collaboration (2008-2011 or so) it was awesome: brought out a lot of new, legitimate product and was graded generously, but fairly consistently, by BGS. Then it seemed like Schonco tried to grade cards they cut from sheets and trimmed them down left-to-right to get higher centering and overall grades. I never purchased those "skinny" Star Co cards, graded or not, because I feel the centering was purposefully improved. I hope PSA puts those in "Auth" holders.

If I buy a Star card nowadays, I focus on corners, surface, and overall dimensions- that's it. I love centered cards, but the fact is, 95+% of certain Star cards came with poor centering, like:
Jordan 101, 195, 288 from rookie year,
1983-84 Magic #13,
1984-85 Magic #272,
1985-86 Bird. etc etc

Old 08-07-2022, 10:59 AM
J@E R1T0

Remember when a mint card meant "four sharp corners" and as long as it had some border around the card you were good? Centering really didnt matter so much. Ah, when times were simple...

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 08-07-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Remember when a mint card meant "four sharp corners" and as long as it had some border around the card you were good? Centering really didnt matter so much. Ah, when times were simple...
On cards with a variety of different cuts, I understand putting a premium on the better centered ones. But if this is how the card comes 99 percent of the time, so be it. IMO there are lots of skinny Stars that got by Beckett (or worse they knowingly slabbed them).

Old 08-14-2022, 04:42 PM

Default Waiting

I am waiting before I decide if I cross my cards.

I am more interested if/how they will grade the bags, as I have almost complete bagged and raw sets from each year of Star. Since I don't plan on opening the bags I might as well grade them.

Like anything else I am guessing PSA will be all over the place in their grading of Star cards.

Peter - that is a great Jordan. My favourite subgrades for BGS were 7.5 and the rest 9's.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:44 AM
octavio ranzola

Love star
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 943A3AD1-99C5-447D-9AC8-95D70017A682.jpg (195.3 KB, 253 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 10:52 AM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Love star
Never seen a collection of high grade XRCs like this Stockton gallery! congrats... assuming you are a Jazz fan?

Old 09-02-2022, 01:23 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Guys-
I seen where PSA is now grading these 101 star card again.
I seen the prices on Ebay, especially of the BVG ones.
But have not seen many sales of the PSA ones yet????
QUESTION: When will it be a good time to sell or should i hold onto it?
(mine is a PSA 6)
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 09-02-2022, 02:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

I guess one way to look at it, if you have a PSA one, is that over time more and more will be PSA graded so you might do better while PSA copies are still relatively scarce?

Old 09-03-2022, 08:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
The subset cards on the other hand don't have centering issues.
Unless you're lucky like me:

Needless to say, not crossing it.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-03-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:28 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Unless you're lucky like me:

Needless to say, not crossing it.
I love those old red badged SCD holders! Have several accurately graded ones that look cool in that nice clear holder. I don’t hesitate to buy the original red badge SCD’s for Star cards, often at a discount.

GAI is a different story for me, if I ever buy a GAI graded card, I take it out of the holder as soon as I can. They’ve left a bad taste in many mouths from their antics back in the day.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:20 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default Jordan 101

Finally got around getting pics of mine PSA 6
Putting it in the BST section to see any interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan101.jpg (166.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg jordan101back.jpg (151.6 KB, 148 views)
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 09-04-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have a few also. It was a well-meaning venture that went to hell when it changed hands from original mgmt.

Or not...
Old 09-05-2022, 12:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I have a few also. It was a well-meaning venture that went to hell when it changed hands from original mgmt.
I have a vague memory you can tell from the flip which ones are legit, but not entirely clear on that.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:53 PM
Chase

When SCD sold their grading division they sold to a company who called themselves Sports Card Direct Authentic, and the label used showed that name. At first I believe the label appeared the same but after a certain point it became more distinguishable.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:33 AM
J@E R1T0

So the PSA 9 Jordan 101 goes for nearly $450K with the vig. What do you think? Word is this was a BGS 8.5 cross over. That’s getting paid!

Old 09-11-2022, 12:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not saying it can't happen, but I've never seen an untrimmed one well centered enough to get a PSA 9 other than by favor.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:45 PM
J@E R1T0

Personally I’ve seen a handful of #101’s well centered and pulled two myself from bags back in the day. See pic below, sold at Heritage a few years back. Overgraded (due to corners and not gem centered), but my best one in terms of centering. I agree, they are quite rare to find centered though, and even the nicer ones left-to-right usually have a very minor tilt.

Now I’ve NEVER seen the other two Jordans in that base set centered, the #195 and #288. Never. I have seen a few that were centered, even in BGS holders, but there’s no question in my mind that they had their wider side trimmed to make them look close to 50/50 left-to-right. As far as I’m concerned, legitimately centered 195s, 288s do not exist unless hand cut from the excess sheets Schonco and others purchased or they were trimmed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5CCDA58F-98CB-484E-944F-DC8FC20A3082.jpg (203.9 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 09-11-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:10 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Impressive #'s by Goldin auctions. Even the BGS 8 got 23.4K
Compared to the 86-7 Fleer Jordans--its getting noticable
As i read on Blowout, perhaps makes that 100k buyer look good.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice